Crossed Fingers (Bones Fanfic)

By umhimynameischarlie

No one ever really knows what their life is going to be like in the distant future. If you had told fifteen-y... More

Chapter One: Never Say Never
Chapter Two, Part One: One Shot
Chapter Two, Part Two: Out of Place
Chapter Four: Playing For The Other Team
Chapter Five: Exploring Heritage
Chapter Six: Back to the Past

Chapter Three: Play it Cool

862 22 7
By umhimynameischarlie

After making my way back to the apartment, I opened the door to see Aaina at the table. Her head was down so I couldn't really see her face.

I took a few steps and I peeked in at her to see that she fallen asleep while working on a large pile of paperwork. I tiptoed around her, careful to not wake her up. Aaina's a light sleeper; one heavy step and she'll wake up. She doesn't get much rest with her busy schedule, so I try my best to keep her asleep. 

All I wanted was a snack before I went to my room to chill out.

I started to tiptoe again, toward the cupboard. I grabbed a bowl and looked back at Aaina to see that she was still asleep. Thank God. 

*clash*

The bowl that was in my hand fell out and onto the floor, shattering into pieces and waking Aaina up. 

She looked up at me, looked down at the ground, and rolled her eyes.

"What grace you have," Aaina mumbled with a sarcastic tone as she rubbed her temples.

 She came over to me and helped me pick up the pieces as we threw them in the trash.

"So how was work Xannie?"

I grinned eagerly. "Oh my gosh it was amazing! I met people and guess what?! I'm gonna have drinks with them tonight. Sweets is picking me up in half an hour." 

Both of us stood up now. 

"Good! I'm glad that you made friends. And half an hour? We need to start getting you ready now, what are you going to wear?"

Aaina took my hand and pulled me into her room to pick out something to wear.

"Actually, I was, uh, gonna just wear this..."

She rolled her eyes. "No, that is unacceptable," She laughed and pushed me into the bed, "let me pick out something for you, alright?"

I groaned. "Alright."

She went into the closet, and came out with two things: a striped mini skirt and a black cropped sweater. 

Aaina held them up to my body, examining the colors. She placed the skirt on her bed and motioned for me to put it on, and then shook her head at the sweater, going back into the closet to find something else.

Aaina came back out with a flowy tank top and black heels. "That's much better. Put this outfit on, and then we'll do your makeup."

I suddenly remembered that Sweets invited Aaina to the gathering as well. "Hey A, Sweets also said that you could come if you wanted to. Ya know, to meet everyone and everything. I think it'll be cool for you to meet the gang, plus, you've been super stressed lately and you kinda need to unwind. If you want."

She bit her lip and looked up at me. "I'd love to, and I'll meet them later, but I just can't right now. I've got tons to do with school and such, plus I think it'll be really good for you to have some more time to get to know them personally before I get into the picture.  Maybe some other time?" 

I nodded. "That's totally fine, I just thought I should ask."

Within minutes, Aaina had put together my outfit, hair, and makeup. 

I've never quite understood fashion, but Aaina sure does.

...

I heard a knock on the door, and I knew that it was Sweets. 

"Hey, Xandra!" He smiled.

I smiled back. "Hey, Sweets, this is Aaina, and Aaina, this is Sweets."

They shook hands.

"I've heard so much about you, it's nice to finally meet you Aaina."

"Same here, Xannie hardly shuts up about you!" She giggled.

I could feel my face blushing up. No, no, no, stop that!

"Oh really?" Sweets glanced over at me, trying to hold back a grin.

I started giggling nervously. It's a habit that I've been trying to stop, but sometimes it just comes out.

Sweets looked at his watch, and then back at the both of us. "We should probably go now... Are you coming with us?"

Aaina shook her head. "Nope, I'm staying here to do super exciting paperwork." She laughed dryly and twiddled her thumbs while looking down. 

"Aww, well that's too bad. It was totally awesome meeting you though, I hope that you can make it with us some other time." He smiled at her and then the both of us started making our way to the bar.

...

We had music playing, but I wasn't really listening. I had other things on my mind. I was pretty sure that Aaina had lied to me just a couple of minutes ago, about why she wasn't able to come. It made me nervous.

"What's wrong?" Sweets looked over at me in the passenger seat.

 "Oh, it's, uh, nothing." I bit my lip. I wanted to talk about it, but with Sweets being a psychologist and all he's probably heard so many stories about people's lives. I didn't want to bother him with mine.

He pouted his lower lip a bit and his eyebrows furrowed. "Is it about Aaina? What happened?"

I sighed. "She's been secretive, which is super weird for her. She tells me everything, like literally, everything. And did you catch that lie, when she said she was doing paperwork? She fidgets when she lies, and I just don't know why she's lying about this. I just... I just don't get it. Ugh,"

Sweets empathized with my situation. "It's probably nothing big, Xandra... Have you tried talking to her about it?" 

I nodded my head. "Yeah, I've tried but every time I do she switches topics." 

"That sucks. Majorly. I'm sorry about that. Well whatever it is, you'll probably know soon. When she's ready to tell you, she will. How long have you been friends?" 

I thought for a second. "Since our first day of college. It was one of those quick starting friendships. It just happened and we've been best friends ever since."

He nodded. "That's cool. Well we're here, are you ready to go in and see everyone or do you need a minute?"

I laughed. "I think I'll be good, but I've got something to confess first..."

He raised his eyebrows. "And what's that?"

"I've... Never actually had alcohol. Ever."

"Is that a religious thing?"

"No, no, I'm not that religious, I've just never had the opportunity." 

Sweets nodded and smiled. "I'm happy to be able to share this milestone with you."

"Me too," I grinned nervously, "now let's go and get this started!" 

...

We both walked in, and saw Angela waving to us. She was standing next to Vincent and some other guy with copper-colored curly hair. He looked friendly.

"Hi, guys," I spoke.

Angela's face lit up. "Hey, Alex," she went in for a hug, "you look fantastic!"

I hugged back and grinned. "Thanks, you do too!"

Vincent waved a little, trying to get my attention. "Hi," he said shyly. I smiled back at him.

The curly haired guy came up to me and we shook hands. "I'm Hodgins. It's nice to meet you, Alex. I was really excited to meet you, after hearing that you even impressed Brennan. I just had to see the phenomenon for myself."

I nodded. "Thanks! I was nervous to meet her; I've heard she's a harsh critic."

Hodgins laughed. "Like a fine wine, she gets better with age. You just have to get to know her a little better."

"That's good to know."

"She still scared me quite a bit..." Vincent mumbled.

Sweets turned to me. "So, do you know what you'd like to try?"

I thought for a second. "Hmmm, I'm not really sure," I turned to Angela, "what are you having?"

She pursed her lips for a second, thinking. "I think I'm in the mood for a Daiquiri."

I nodded to make her think I knew what that was. "Oh, yeah, that sounds good! I think I'll have one of those as well."

...

After the first round of drinks had arrived, it was time for me to take my first sip. I was nervous, excited, and all around intrigued. "Here I go," I thought.

I took a sip and it tasted amazing. Within seconds, I was practically chugging. Sweets would glance at me every couple of seconds to see my reaction.

"Whoa, you're going pretty fast there, Alex," he looked at me knowingly, "you might want to start off slower..."

Hodgins coughed after the large shot he took. "Oh Sweets, I'm sure she can hold her liquor!"

I laughed. "I hope I can, but I don't know though," I bit my lip, "I've never really had alcohol so this is kind of a first."

Angela's mouth dropped. "Oh, honey! Really? Well then we've gotta make this a memorable first time!"

Hodgins laughed. "Or un-memorable, if we do it right." He winked.

"Yeah!" I agreed excitedly. 

Sweets smiled. "Okay, let's do this! What do you want to try next?"

Vincent plopped his empty glass on the table and ordered another. "Did you know,"

Angela rolled her eyes. "Oh, here we go,"

Vincent continued. "that the production of alcohol has traced back at least 12,000 years?"

Sweets and Hodgins nodded, and then looked back at me. 

Hodgins smiled. "So what's it gonna be? I'll buy."

I shrugged. "I'm not sure, what do you guys think?"

The three of them looked at each other, as if they had an idea.

...

Thirty minutes and many drinks later, I had tasted many different things.

I decided that I quite liked Brandy, Rum, and Vodka, and disliked Bourbon and Tequila. 

All of us were slurring our words a bit at this point, me more than the others.

Sweets was a happy drunk, he was giggling every couple of seconds and was telling all of us how happy he was to have friends like us.

Angela was a fun drunk, singing songs, dancing around, and flirting with the bartender.

Hodgins was a philosophical drunk, asking questions that seemed infinitely deep to anyone who was intoxicated.

Vincent fell asleep after a couple of shots, though.

Sweets laughed and turned towards me. "So, ya know, you guysss are the best. You just, like, make me so happy and I'm just sssso happy right now."

I giggled. "Sweetssey, drunk you so are right now, like s-seriously!" I patted his head and started dancing with Angela.

Hodgins looked off into the distance nodding his head occasionally to the music. "At any moment, we could just die. That's how life is. We can just poof! And we're gone," he paused to think, "And we work and work everyday but what's the-"

Angela grabbed Hodgins' hand. "Oh, s-s-stop it let's enjoy tonight without asking depressing things, yeah? Woooo!"

Vincent was still totally out of it, snoring a bit.

...

Each of us found rides, after we decided it was time to go home. We hugged each other, happy about how the night had went.

...

"It sounds like you had a fun night, Xannie." Aaina cooed. 

I nodded. "Mmmhm, yesss I did and I love you Aaina for taking so good care of me. You are the number one best buddy friend."

She smiled and nodded, helping me into bed and placing the covers over my body.

Aaina started making her way out of the room, placing a bucket by the bed.

"N-n-no, Aaaaaina. Wait."

She raised her eyebrows. "What's up, babe?"

"W-w-what's the super secret you've been keeping from your best buddy friend?" I mumbled as a pouted my lower lip a bit.

Her eyebrows furrowed, she bit her lip, and she kissed my forehead. "That's a talk for another time, love. Goodnight and sweet dreams."

She walked out of the room and I passed out within seconds.

....................................................................................................................................

Thanks for reading! I update every Sunday! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 53K 22
I was supposed to die when I was five but when my parents gave me the chance to run, I took it. I didn't understand much at the time except that I...
11.3K 355 17
A Bones fanfiction totally in character, with LOTS of sexual tension. The best kind.
25.3K 653 25
Bones and Booth work together to solve crimes. They have Parker and Cristine and they live in DC, and it basically takes the basic storyline of the...
9.4K 257 17
in this story Dr. Brennan (Bones)and booth did not have christen but they did start dating. they got a case that reviled a cereal killer who at the...