A Room for My Pretend Love

By MeiSummer

Thrown out of an abusive home, Suki pretends to be Devin's girlfriend while she stays with his family. But wh... More

That One Night
Panic Attack
The Proposal
First Kiss
Act 1
Overnight Stay
Black Lingerie
Cutie Patootie
The Unraveling
Push and Pull
Clark the Quack
Drunken Confessions
Cold Heart, Warm Hands
Yours and Mine
Thinking of You
Decisions, Decisions
Hot and Bothered
Different
Surprise
Free Fall
Another D
Lucky One
Bare
Trust
Suki
Space
Good Intentions
About Time
Home
At Last
Epilogue
BONUS CHAPTER: Clark's Story (Prologue)
BONUS CHAPTER: CLARK'S STORY (THE END)

Sleeping Together

262K 8.6K 1.8K
By MeiSummer

Devin wasn't sure if he heard her right.

"Say that again?" he asked, wanting to be certain.

"Can I stay with you tonight? I mean--" She twisted her fingers. "I don't mean like sleeping together. Well--" And twisted some more until he worried she'd break a bone "--we will technically sleep together in one place, but what I mean is I really need a place to stay. Just for tonight." She heaved in a breath. "Promise, one night is enough. I won't ask for anything more."

Devin examined her flushed face while trying to untangle the string of words she'd hurled at him. It was obvious she was desperate. But was it really a good idea to let a stranger into his house? Even if she looked so adorable?

Before he could say anything, she spoke, "I'm not a criminal or anything. I swear I'm not. Look!"

She took out something from somewhere beneath the folds of her dress and showed it to him. "You can take a picture of it if you want. And I'm not crazy even though you might think I am after what happened earlier."

Too surprised to speak, Devin laughed instead. He examined the ID card she thrust his way and gave it back to her. "Well, it's certainly an unusual request, but..."

Devin couldn't believe he was actually considering this, but how was he supposed to turn down a damsel in distress? Besides, if things went crazy, did she really have the capacity to do him damage? Objectively speaking, it was she who had more to fear from him. He was surprised she wasn't thinking about that. Propping his left hand against the steering wheel, Devin shifted in his seat to look at her.

She was staring at him with huge, trusting eyes, framed by lashes still wet with tears. Her long, disheveled dark hair fell in waves around a pale face devoid of makeup. Well, except for her lips, which were stained a faded red. He was tempted to pull her close and shield her from the world.

Wow, Devin! Aren't you such a prince charming? his mind scoffed.

God, he was just like the typical chauvinistic male lead with a hero complex in those dramas his mother loved to watch.

"But?" she prodded.

Snapping out of his trance, Devin continued, "But if you really need somewhere to stay tonight, I think I'll take a chance on you." Yes, if she was as desperate as she seemed, he might as well volunteer. If he said no, god knows where else she would end up. Yet, he couldn't resist adding, "Aren't you afraid of me, though?"

He pulled his arms up and pretended to flex his muscles. They strained against the sleeves of his white button down shirt. "Who knows? I might also be a psycho."

Yeah right. You're the blandest vanilla guy in the whole wide world.

Well, at least according to his ex-girlfriends. See, even Suki, a girl he met for the first time, was laughing. She probably saw how ridiculous it was. He really had to do something about his image.

"Why? What are you laughing at?" He lifted another arm and flexed some more.

She laughed even harder.

She sounded like those nice, tinkly wind chimes. Instead of coming up with ways to appear more manly, Devin started thinking about his next joke. Anything to hear more of that delightful sound.

"Nothing, nothing. I'm not too worried," she said. "I've never heard of a self-aware psycho. Also, despite what you saw earlier, I do know a thing or two about fighting back."

Devin wasn't so sure about that, but he nodded anyway. "Well, I sure don't want to be beaten up by you, so I promise to be the perfect gentleman."

"Thanks, I guess." A shadow crossed her face, but she chased it away with a wry smile.

Smiling back, Devin maneuvered out of the parking lot and made his way home.

******

It was already past midnight and the streets were empty. Despite the calmness that had settled over the city and the silence in the car, Suki's thoughts churned, taking up every space in her mind. There was no room for solace, nor a path for escape. When the car slowed down at a stoplight, she kept her face angled away from him to hide the tears that rolled down her cheeks.

To her relief, he didn't pry. Instead, he put on some quiet music and left her to her thoughts. He gave her some space.

When they reached his designated parking lot at the basement of an apartment complex, Devin immediately went out to open the door on the passenger side. He examined her closely as she stepped out of the car. After he closed the door behind her, he asked, "Where are your things?"

"I... I left them at work."

He guided her towards the lift. "I see. If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?"

She looked him in the eye, wondering if it was wise to reveal her personal information. In the end, she decided her workplace was not that private. "I do administrative work at Mobisplice."

"It's that mobile gaming company at Software Park, right?"

They had finally reached the elevator and since it was quite late, they didn't wait long for it to arrive.

"Yes, it's that one," she said as they stepped inside.

Devin swiped a key card that automatically lit up the button to the 28th floor. "Interesting. I work in the area. Maybe I'll see you more often, even after tonight."

He winked.

She narrowed her eyes. "Did you just wink at me?"

Under the light of the elevator, she was finally able to see him more clearly. He had thick, brown hair parted on the far right and swept to the side, with some strands falling over his left eye. His brown eyes twinkled as he smiled at her with perfectly white teeth.

"And if I did?"

She cringed. "It's weird."

This only made him laugh.

"Why?" He lowered his voice and took a step closer towards her, prompting Suki to take a step back against the wall of the elevator.

"You--" Had she offended him? Was he angry? She scanned the place for possible escape routes. "You promised to be a gentleman."

"And I intend to keep that promise." He moved closer, leaving only a few steps between them.

His height allowed him to occupy all of her personal space. Every cell in her body screamed their need to flee. Obviously, she had made the wrong choice. She had offended him and he was going to hit her.

You stupid, stupid girl! Why did you have to open your mouth?

Luckily, the elevator stopped. As soon as the door opened, Suki rushed out, putting as much space between them as she could.

"What's wrong?" he called from behind her.

Oh god, he was chasing after her.

Suki ran down the corridor. Hearing his footsteps behind her, she pushed her legs to go faster. At the end of the hall was an apartment door. She looked around to find somewhere to go. There was nowhere. She stopped. Suddenly, something heavy hit her from behind, pitching her forward. Before she knew it, she was falling. She screamed and covered her face.

This was it. She was going to die.

In that split second, a thousand thoughts and a million if onlys raced through her mind. This was why people warned others not to trust strangers. Just because a man was handsome, it doesn't mean he was a good person. Weren't serial killers gorgeous and charming men?

She was done for. She was going to hit the floor.

The impact never came.

Instead, strong arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her against a hard body.

Devin.

She struggled against his hold. Her heart worked overtime to pump out adrenalin.

"Suki, calm down. It's me, Devin."

It's the Devil. "Let me go!"

"Hey, okay, I will, but promise not to run, okay?"

She nodded. Anything to be free.

"Okay, here goes." Gently, he pushed her away from him and turned her around to face him. Dropping his arms to his side, he said with a serious look on his face, "I'm not sure what happened back there, but you're obviously scared. Did I do something that scared you?"

Through the fear fogging her brain, she saw his earnest gaze. Devin seemed genuinely confused. What did he do exactly? Suki tried to recall the moment. He had winked at her and she told him it was weird. Devin crowded her into a corner because he was angry, but was he really?

She raked trembling a hand through her hair. "I... I am sorry I called you weird. I didn't mean to insult you. I didn't mean to make you angry."

"Suki! What are you talking about?" He moved closer.

She moved back.

He stayed still. "Suki, you were just joking. There's nothing to be angry about. Are you worried I'm going to hurt you because of that?"

"You were moving towards me. I thought--"

"Moving towards you?" His mouth formed an 'o.' "Oh, you mean that time. I was just getting ready to get off the elevator. I'm sorry if I stepped too close."

Seeing the genuine distress on his face, Suki wondered if she had read the situation wrong. Now that she thought about it, what he said made more sense. She squeezed her eyes shut. "I'm sorry. I overreacted."

His response was fast. "It's okay. After what happened at the club, you must still be anxious."

"Yeah..." She looked at him once again. "I guess I'm still..."

She let her words drift off. As her supply of adrenaline diminished, so did her ability to hold herself up. Her knees wobbled.

Devin caught her again. "Are you okay?"

She braced herself and pulled herself up. "Yeah. I guess I'm just tired."

"Then shall we go in?" He gestured towards the door she spotted earlier.

Was she really going to do this? What other choice did she have? If she left now, she'd probably end up wandering the streets. She no longer had any energy to fight whatever she might encounter out there. There was nowhere to go and no one to help. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, she chose the devil.

******

Devin opened the door with a flourish. "Home sweet home!"

She couldn't help but gasp at the sight before her. Spanning two corners of the space were huge floor to ceiling windows offering an unhindered view of the city. The place had an open floor plan with a tastefully decorated living room to the right side of the door, a dining room farther back, and the kitchen to the left. There was also a staircase by the kitchen that led to a second floor.

"Judging from the drool on your mouth, I guess you like my house?" he said next to her.

Suki snapped her mouth shut.

He laughed.

"Ha-ha very funny!" She shook her head.

"It is funny." He urged her inside, then patted her shoulder. "You're too cute."

Suki felt herself blush at his words. What was she supposed to say to that?

Thankfully, he changed the subject. "So, you want to see your room?"

"Yes, please."

"Come." He led her up the staircase. "There's actually a guest room downstairs, but it doesn't have much of a view so I wanted to give you a room up here."

"I don't need a view." She hastened her steps to keep up with his long strides. "Anything is fine really."

"No, no. I want you to see this room." He opened one of the three doors on the second level. "Here you are."

The room was painted a neutral shade of lavender, which almost appeared to be gray. Meanwhile, all the furnishings plus the carpet were white. Only the bedsheet and pillows in pastel shades of blue, yellow, and cream added pops of color. The room was too feminine to belong in a bachelor pad.

"Is someone living with you?" she asked.

"No, why?"

Suki swept her hands in front of her. "Well, this room is not exactly very manly. Is it your girlfriend's?"

"Ah!" Understanding dawned on his face. "No, I don't have a girlfriend. It's my mother. She helped me with the interior decorating."

"I see." That made sense, but still, why would his mother make this room so feminine?

"I see the gears turning in your head. I really don't have a girlfriend." He put a hand on his chest. "Promise! So, don't worry about that."

She scoffed. "Who said I was worried? It's none of my business."

"True, but I don't mind you making it your business." With that, he stepped into the room and walked towards the floor to ceiling window on the far side. Then, he opened a door that led to the terrace and stepped out.

Suki followed him. Outside, a panorama of the city welcomed her. Windows from apartment buildings shimmered in the darkness like colorful fairy lights. In the distance, the river snaked its way downtown-- a mighty serpent wrapped with indigo scales. Tilting her head up, she found a strand of stars with the moon as the pendant. Holding her breath, Suki walked closer towards the edge where a rail kept her from falling and took in her fill.

"Beautiful," she gasped.

"Isn't it?"

Grinning, she looked at Devin and found him standing next to her. Just like the view, his eyes twinkled, too. She couldn't look away.

"I'm glad you like the view," he murmured, looking down to meet her gaze.

Oh, yes, the view. "Yes, I like it."

"Good." A corner of his lips lifted. "I'm glad."

She couldn't stop smiling. "I'm glad, too."

"Good." He nodded.

"Good." She nodded back.

His phone rang, breaking the bonds that held their eyes together. Devin fished it out of his pocket, then typed back a reply. "My friends from the club."

"Oh yes." Was it mean of her that she'd only just remembered he left them? "Don't let me keep you."

"Don't worry about that," he said, stuffing his phone back into his pocket. "I told them I'm not going back."

Her shoulders sagged. She'd just met this guy and she'd already found a way to make herself a burden. "I'm sorry I ruined your night. Please, you can still go meet them. Don't worry about me."

"Nah, it's okay. Clubbing's not really my scene. My friend just forced me to go, so I'm glad you gave me a reason to leave."

"If you're sure?" She searched his face.

His expression was resolute. "One hundred percent sure. Now, let me go get you some stuff so you can rest. You look like you need it."

Before she could refuse, he had jogged back into the room. She followed him in and waited by the bed.

After a few minutes, he came back with his hands full. "I brought you a T-shirt and some water. If you want to take a bath, the bathroom's right there." He pointed towards a door across from the bed before explaining, "My mother stays over sometimes, so it already has all the toiletries that you'll need. Feel free to use them."

"Thank you, but really Devin, you don't have to. I don't need anything."

"I don't have to, but I want to, so just accept these, okay?" He placed the items he was carrying on the bedside table. "Just rest and stop worrying. Lock the door if it makes you feel more comfortable."

Maybe it was the soft way he said those words or exhaustion finally creeping up on her, but tears started pricking the back of her eyes. Suki blinked a couple of times to keep them in check. "Okay," she said in a small voice. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He walked back to the door and stepped out of the room. "Goodnight, Suki."

"Goodnight, Devin."

After he left, she had a quick shower then tucked herself underneath the soft blanket. She tried thinking about what she had to do, but as she was making her list in her mind, the temptation provided by the soft mattress proved too much. Slowly, Suki drifted to sleep.

Tomorrow.

She'd deal with everything tomorrow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 85 43
Evanly's desires of being loved, feeling affection, satisfaction and sex were casted aside as she was stuck in a loveless marriage, but light shined...
5K 319 44
"Just tell me the reason why," Jordan pleaded, his eyes paralysing me helplessly to the spot. "I-I can't.. I made a promise." For Alexa and Jordan, i...
303 17 10
𝒜𝓀𝒶𝒶𝓈𝒽𝒾 𝓍 𝑅𝑒𝒶𝒹𝑒𝓇 ------------------------------------------------------------------- ☆ ᴵⁿ ʷʰⁱᶜʰ ᴬᵏᵃᵃˢʰⁱ ᴷᵉⁱʲⁱ ⁿᵉᵉᵈᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵖʳᵉᵗᵉⁿᵈ ᵍⁱʳˡᶠʳⁱᵉ...
840 51 12
Young and dumb, you had moved in with your boyfriend. On his birthday, you discover his affair. Torn apart, you instantly leave that place on an impu...