Water and Air: A Waterfire Sa...

By LunaStar48

What if Serafina and Desiderio had a younger sister? What if she was a human in her past life who remembered... More

Reborn in the Deep Blue
Plans swimming in Motion
Plans Heading for a Whirlpool
A Current of Destiny
Fighting the Whirlpool's Strength
Threats Riding the Waves
A Riptide of Danger
Something More Dangerous than a Hurricane

Tides that Rip Us Apart And Push Us Together

186 3 0
By LunaStar48

I was too astonished to speak.

Not only was my own mother contemplating an arranged marriage, but she was doing it for me.

And to someone I had just met, no less.

While my mind, and if I had to be seriously honest, my heart, longed for someone else.

I stared at her, uncomprehendingly for a long moment. Isabella seemed to read my emotions and her eyes softened.

"I never met your father until our Promising." She said softly. "He never met me. I was Promised to him at sixteen and I married him when I was twenty. So did your grandmother. And yet we were happy, Bastiaan and I. I can't imagine my life with anyone other than him, not once have we been unfaithful to each other, or treated the other poorly. We respected each other, including our differing opinions, and we've supported each other the whole way through."

That was true. Isabella and Bastiaan had been happy together since before we were born. I won't say that their marriage was completely ideal, but there you have it. Mother might have been allowed to marry for love, and ended up being with someone who only wanted her money, crown and power and charmed her to do it. On the other hand, however, they were lucky. And so was Grandmother and Grandfather, Sera and Mahdi.

And there was also the unfortunate fact that I had also fallen in love with someone whom I would never be allowed to go near.

From another world.

"How do you even know whether Admiral Kolfinn and the Ondalinians would approve of this," I nearly demanded my mother. "You said it yourself. They mistrust us. They could still be chafing at the requirements of the peace agreement, not just the Permutavi."

"You're right and there were other offers for you and Sera's hands in marriage," Isabella sighed, standing.

"What?!" That was both of us. "How come we've never heard of this?" Sera nearly demanded.

Because in a world where parents arranged the marriages, or at least in certain circles, they did not feel the need to share these things with us.

"Because I believed that Mahdi, Emperor Bilaal's offer and Matali's would be for the best," Isabella stated. She swum towards us. "I won't just give you to anyone, merls." She said quietly. "Even for Miromara's benefit. You have a right not to be mistreated. And unless there is no other choice, and we are all in serious, even grave danger, I would not give either of you to anyone who may mistreat you. Emperor Bilaal is a good, honourable, wise and strong ruler," Isabella hesitated, though not because of uncertainty. "He has proven a strong and steadfast ally and friend even in the worst of times. He would not allow nor did he raise his own son to mistreat his wife and children. In fact, he and Empress Ahadi have had a happy, loving marriage and you Serafina, are close friends with Neela, who by all accounts, is a member of the imperial family and lives in the imperial palace. You will not find yourself alone in a foreign realm, completely friendless and surrounded by cold, hostile strangers. You also know Yazeed. And you have gotten time to know your betrothed. Your life in Matali would not be so bad, and as future regina, you will be dividing your time between both realms."

"And what about me?" My eyes narrowed, icily. "Sera might know Mahdi, she might be close friends with Neela, and Emperor Bilaal is someone whom you trust. Matali has proven to be a steadfast and firm ally, but Ondalina? I may be in approval for ending generations of hostility," I said hotly, my temper rising. "But in this way?" I exclaimed. "Ondalina might not be at all happy with this new turn of events, you don't even know Kolfinn, or have assurances that he will be as a friend and ally to you and Miromara as Emperor Bilaal and Matali has been to us. The Ondalinians mostly stick to themselves and don't even show their cities willingly. I don't know Astrid or any member of Admiral Kolfinn's family. The Ondalinians still chafe under the terms that Miromara under Regina Isolda, no matter how graciously, enforced upon them. And Miromara is itself offended that Kolfinn chose to withdraw from the Permutavi." I felt my rage flare. I had never lost my temper in front of my mother but now...

Isabella looked at me, eyes dark and soft. "You won't be alone. Your uncle Ludo-"

"Whom I also haven't met anymore than Ragnar has met his father's sister Sigurlinn who lives in Tsarno." I shot back. I shot up and started to swim, pacing.

"Serena," my mother began. I turned against her. "I don't know him," I insisted, almost hissing. The ends of my tail twitched irritably. "I don't know what to feel around him! And you want to send me away up to the Arctic to marry someone I've barely met, to live amongst a people who may hate me and resent my presence?"

"Sigurlinn and your uncle Ludovico have never been anything but welcome in each others' realms," Isabella swore.

"Because they weren't marrying into the ruling families!" I nearly snapped. "And I suppose I'll have to bear the future admiral? What if they don't accept him or her precisely because the mother's a Merrovingia from Miromara? Accuse me of being a spy and him or her of being puppets? And Ragnar too? A spy and a puppet master, Mother. Is that how you wish me to be perceived and welcomed in my new home? Far from family and friends that I know? And Ragnar doesn't even know my secret, anymore than Serafina or Desiderio does!"

Sera froze, sitting up straight. "I'll be a liability to them!" I snapped. "And to us!"

Isabella looked weary and- was it heartbroken?! "Serena," she began slowly.

"How can you honestly expect me to obey this decree, Regina?" I dared. "Or at least expect me to go along with it as if I'm happy? You and Father were lucky! And so is Sera!" My eyes flashed murderously and I flicked my tail, shoving a tail-stool to a side as I stormed out of the room in a rage.

I was beyond furious. I was hurt, aching, and tears blurred and stung my eyes though not as bad as the pain within my chest. A sob tore my throat. Thankfully, my suite was right next door. I shoved the doors open, and slammed it shut behind me, and only then did I allow myself to burst into tears and crumple to the ground. No matter how childish this was, this summed up exactly how broken I was. I slumped against the door and onto the floor.

The warm, encouraging smile and rich brown hair and dark blue eyes of the man named Robert- Prince Robert- a terragogg from up above haunted my mind and heart and I realised too late that I could not get rid of him anymore than I could get rid of myself.

Or my burden of responsibilty. If Sera thought I was the lucky one, I wondered what she thought now.

I was choking in sobs, tears streaming, not caring if anyone ever heard me. I then flew up and swum towards the bedroom, throwing myself down against the lush, soft and comforting anemones that lined the bed.

But a union between me and him would be impossible.

And so I cried late into the night.

It wasn't fair. It was childish of me to think that, but there you had it.

Miromara wasn't a backwards civilisation. This didn't have an ancient feudal system, and we certainly never had serfs or slaves. Males and females were treated equally and had equal rights in almost everything, except for the incomprehensible decree of Merrow that allowed only females to inherit the throne and the Merrovingian name, along with the Volnero and di Remora names, titles and fortunes to be passed down from mother to daughter. Yet this wasn't as oppressive as human patriarchal civilisations like those of Ancient Rome and even Mesopotamia and Athens, the cradles of civilisation had been. There were no harems, bigamy, polygamy or polygandry. Male and female adults had equal rights to vote, and there were mermaids that joined the military though there were considerably fewer than the males. The only thing was inheritance laws. And even then people just accepted it.

But it didn't mean things were flawed. Arranged marriages were practiced in Miromara and the other mer realms, not as a whole, and even the aristocracy had a degree of freedom in choosing whom they might marry. Portia was able to marry Sejanus Adaro, even though he wouldn't have been the one she would have gone for. And even royalty like Vallerio could choose whether or not to marry. We could marry for love if the match was approved of by the regina, which Portia and Vallerio's match was not.

Still... A terragogg? Even though she was close to terragoggs like Duca Armando, it didn't mean my mother would condone her daughter marrying one!

Or falling in love, or forming any sort of relationship!

But then... How long had I known this man? Not long, in fact, I'm not sure if I knew if at all before I got stupidly smitten.

Still... I couldn't help falling in love. Ragnar was every merl's dream, if I had to be honest with myself, but maybe it was the human carrying on from my last life that caused me to fall madly in love with this human that I had barely met. A gogg would have been abominable in the eyes of the Miromaran people and all mer as a matter of fact, no matter what their rank, wealth and station was in life.

And besides, if he knew who or what I was...

I shook my head, and took a deep breath, pulling myself up on the bed.

This whole universe I lived in was a dream, for mankind. They could not possibly know what it was like to swim and live beneath the waves, to love, cherish and serve your people as I did.

Or maybe he would, being a prince.

I was startled when the door knocked.

"Who is it?" I called out.

"It's me, Sera." Serafina's voice sounded.

I sighed. "Come in."

Sera made her way from the sitting room to my bedroom. "Hey," she said softly.

I shrugged carelessly. "Hey."

She bit her lip. "I know that you're upset," she said, swimming closer to me. I nodded and Sera sat at the edge of the bed. "But... Maybe..." She trailed off, sighing. "I know. Ragnar is one of the handsomest mermen I've ever seen, but you don't know him, and only someone stupid would go for him straight away. And yes, you're right, what if the Ondalinians don't trust us?"

"They don't." I replied smartly.

"But it doesn't mean that you should give up," Sera encouraged. "Mum's not that serious about a match between you and Ragnar Kolfinsson. And who knows, maybe you don't have to leave Miromara to get married. You get to choose, Rena," she said encouragingly. "Things will be alright. I don't think Uncle's going to let you go and get married to an Ondalinian."

And I was starting to remember why. Maybe Vallerio did have Miromara and my best interests at heart, but maybe he didn't. Maybe we shouldn't trust him anymore.

Maybe I failed after all.

I took a deep breath; "Look, Sera, it's not just this."

Sera didn't even blink. "It's your secret." She said that not as a question, but as a blunt statement.

I winced. "Yes." But Sera didn't seem to be angry.

"The secret Mum's ordered you to keep." She looked out into the distance. "And it's killing you, isn't it? I can see it, Rena. It's killing you to keep it inside, but you don't have a choice." Her eyes were sad and gentle. "I understand. Believe me, I understand, Rena. Mum's ordered me to do plenty of things that are not okay with me, but I do them because she's the regina. I know the power she has over us not just as the regina, but as our Mum. I understand. I get it. And I just suppose I'll have to wait until after my Dokimí to find out about it."

I nodded glumly, sniffling. I hugged a pillow to my chest. "So... What if this secret is so shocking?"

Sera froze for a moment before saying. "You're still my sister, Rena. And I love you, no matter what." She stated, looking at me in the eye.

"No matter what, I'll always love you. And I'll always stick with you 'til the very end."

I smiled through my tears. "And I swear I will for you too. I love you, Big Sister."

We hugged. "Now get some rest," Sera mock-ordered me. "If I'm going to be regina someday, I order you to get some rest."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Yes, your majesty."

Robert stared out at the water.

"Come on, Robbie." His sister, Eleanor whined. "What are you doing staring out at the water?"

"Robert's in looovveee," Liam taunted. Robert laughed softly and shook his head. Liam.

"What's this?" Their father, King Simon walked out. "You've fallen in love."

Robert sighed. "I suppose I have."

"No way!" Eleanor- Len to him- exclaimed. "Wicked! Who is this wench?"

"Really, Len," Robert tried to reason with her, rolling his eyes. "I've barely met her."

"But obviously, you've fallen madly in love with her," Liam said in a sing-song voice. "Otherwise you would've beat me in darts, boxing, swilling pints and everything else lately. Instead, you've been wandering off to dream-land."

Robert rolled his eyes. His father looked intrigued and amused. "Who's the lucky girl?"

"Serena," Robert admitting, murmuring. "I've only met her once, and she has absolutely no idea what I feel about her. Plus, it was dark when I met her, and she didn't see me clearly. I don't think she knows who I am. I met her at the beach during that party the ocean-life activists were hosting in Dover. I went to find her afterwards, but I only got that she left. I asked about her and all I got was that she's Italian, Greek, Spanish, French and so forth and that she's the daughter of the Duke de Venezia, according to some of them."

"She's a duke's daughter?" Simon looked even more intrigued, if possible. "Duca Armando de Venezia. That's her father's name. Beck helped me ask around, but for some reason, the activists there seem strangely tight-lipped about her." Robert frowned, trying to conceal his growing unease and tension. He wanted- no, needed to find out more about her.

"Well, then perhaps you should," Len suggested.  "Just go to Italy, Robbie. Find her."

"In Venice?" Robert snorted and downed more Scotch.

"If that's what it takes to find your one true love," Simon suggested. "Then, why not?"

"What makes you think that she's my one true love?"

"Because I know love," Simon answered. "And I know you. Plus, I also know that if you don't fight for it, fight to find it, then you are going to regret it and be miserable for your whole life. If there's one thing worth fighting for more than people and country, it's love, Robert. Love for family and your true love. Find that girl, Rob." Then he smiled, mischievously. "Then bring her home to introduce her to us. I'm sure that even your mother will approve."

Robert half-sighed. "And if I did, do you think she'll be able to handle the media attention?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Well, we can deal with that when the time comes," Simon shrugged. "Just go to her. You know best of all how to evade the paparazzi. I think you'll be able to do that with her."

Robert was silent for a long moment. "Will do." He drank some more. "Thanks, Dad." He grinned at his old man.

It was nearing the time when I would have to go back to 'school'.

We had arrived back safely in Miromara, and Mother was overseeing preparations for the attacks I suggested.

"It'll be fine." She tried to reassure me. "Just do your part." But I could see her fear, worry, unease and total and complete terror in sending her daughter out on a mission like this. Supposing that the goggs caught me?

"Yes, mother." I nodded. I turned to my father. He tried to force a smile. "Good luck, my dear." I could see the same fear, terror, unease and worry in his eyes. He nearly crushed me in his embrace.

It was time to go. I put on a brave smile and hurried to the world above.

"I'm being called away," Robert sighed.

They stared at him.

"It's only for a few weeks," he tried to reassure them. "Some military exercises. We're not even sure if we'll see action sometime either."

His mother, Queen Helena nodded. "And will you be safe? Oh," She pulled him into a tight hug.

"I'll try, Mum." He said cheekily.

Simon nodded. "Very well then. Take care." Liam grinned. "Stay safe." He hugged his brother. Len went next. "Robbie," she whispered. "Be a good girl, now Len." He grinned.

"Is it almost ready?" Duca Armando demanded.

"Yes, sir!" A Wave Warrior saluted. "In that case I'll come with you." I told him.

He nodded. "Your highness, some of the Praedatori are insisting on being your guards."

I sighed. "I appreciate the help, Duca Armando, but I'm not that vulnerable. I just need to concentrate on my assigned mission. Which trawler is it?"

"The Bedrieër," Elisabetta popped up. My brows furrowed. "One of Or- Rafe Mfeme's biggest ones, I see."

She nodded. "Serena, are you sure about this?" Marco asked. "After all..."

"Where's Mfeme now?" I asked, holding up a hand to cut him off.

"Our reports show that he's on the Sagi-shi right now." Elisabetta answered.

"And the Svikari?" I asked. "And the Bedrieër, who's captaining them at this moment?"

"As of now, two of his most trusted on each trawler."

I nodded. "Good. Now remember, the plan is to direct some pirate ships to the trawlers." Duca Armando stated. "They'll send out distress signals and once they're occupied- we just have to be very careful not to get caught or in the crossfire- and the nearest naval rescue unit will respond. How much time do we have?"

"Less than forty minutes at most," Marco answered. "I can't make any promises."

"That'll be enough," I tried to say optimistically. "What about his smaller ships? Have you tracked them?"

Marco nodded and grinned. "That we have. We're onto them."

I grinned back. "Then let's get to it."

We geared up. I was in a black balaclava, but I would also be using illusio spells. I knew what Orfeo was capable of. I would go underwater and follow the pirates with the Praedatori. The Wave Warriors would lure them, with false signals and messages to Orfeo's trawlers, the Bedrieër and the Svikari. Then they would jump into the water in scuba-diving equipment shielded by the Praedatori while the pirates attacked. While the crew and pirates were occupied, we would begin opening up the hull while I secretly did spells to weaken any enchantments cast by Orfeo or other spellcasters like those of the Death Riders. I would transform and followed by a few Wave Warriors, we would go on-board, protected by illusio spells that I cast and transparansea pearls, wreaking destruction to the trawler so it sank. Then we would disappear, very quickly, back into the water. Some of us would be on the lookout for any of the crew or pirates.

That was the plan. This would be repeated in the Svikari and other smaller boats owned by Mfeme. Except that they all wouldn't be 'pirate accidents'.

I dove down into the water.

I felt a thrill to be transforming into my mer self, swimming out in the deep.

I just needed to wait while the Wave Warriors lured the pirates.

We waited, the Praedatori and I, safely concealed under the surface, while the Wave Warriors lured them to the Bedrieër, then disappeared. They dove into the water while we covered them up, when the pirates lost them. They did, however, spot the Bedrieër, a wealthy-looking trawler, and got excited.

"Now," I muttered. We swam towards the trawler, the mer helping the Wave Warriors along. Soon enough, the sounds of gunfire ensued. I grinned.

The trawler halted and screams sounded. "Careful. Let's keep a lookout for falling bodies." I ordered. We kept swimming. I quietly sang a songspell.

"Water currents of the deep,

Hold the tides, the evil wheels,

That turn, that swim, that push and shove to drown mer and creatures of oceans down,

Destroy our lives, our own, our home,

Waters of the deep, avenge the sea,

By weakening the ship I see!"

The propellers ground to a shrieking, rusting halt. We swam forwards and taking out tools, hooks and things, began breaking through the hull of the ship.

Then finally while the gunfire raged on, and the screams, we pried it open. "Come on!" I shouted. Looking up, it was dark, and we could crawl through it in human form, we were lucky.

Transforming myself I pulled myself forwards, and squeezed through. The tunnel lead me from below onto the engine room, I knew. We'd memorised it.

Breaking through, I smashed through the floor of the engine room. I pulled myself up and turned to help the Wave Warriors.

"Go on the lookout," I advised them. We went to destroy the engine room and to steal evidence we could show the human authorities.

We found plenty. Shipping records, underwater treasures from shipwrecks and more. Evidence of illegal nets used in certain waters, and overfishing. Pollution and more.

I grinned. Casting a waterproof spell, I passed them to the Wave Warriors. "Time to go." I announced, as we made our way back down.

We were back underwater, much to our relief.

Dead bodies were falling. Then I heard something. "The navy!" I cursed.

"Halt! This is the Special Boat Services of the British Royal Navy!" Came the cry. "You are surrounded, drop your weapons!"

The pirates started panicking. They went to hide. Some of them took the crew hostage. The SBS would be trying to save them but they weren't a loss to me.

Then the fighting and gunfire escalated. It was understandable. Pirates had not entered British waters for centuries, and this was a cause for alarm.

And then a thought struck me. What if Orfeo was compensated by the British government. I cursed.

"What?" A Praedatori asked me.

"Now the British military's gotten involved because they've entered British waters without us knowing!" I snapped. "What if they decide to compensate Mfeme? With money?"

Their eyes widened. "Then all of this would be for nothing."

"Not if I have something to do with it." I muttered. I swam back to the trawler.

"Your highness!" Someone called out from behind me, but I paid no heed. There were bullets shooting through the water, though, and I barely missed them. I zipped straight to the trawler and began making my way up.

I turned off my illusio spell. They would be able to see me now.

I made my way to the engine room. Just in time. Pirates and crew had entered the engine room and they shouted out.

I picked up the nearest thing- a bucket- and threw it at them. The pirates aimed their weapons. "Stop!" One of them shouted. "Stop or we'll shoot. You're being taken hostage!"

Wisely, I put my hands up.

"A beautiful lady!" The pirate leader grinned. For some reason the SBS were no longer firing at them. "You'll be our escape. And she's beautiful, isn't she boys? She's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen!" He had been breathless once he saw me. They all had. The crew looked at me strangely.

They forced me down on my knees. "Now," the pirate leader said. "I guess we'll just have to show her to those Brits. Being ever-so-gallant, they'd set you free."

I gritted my teeth as one of them grabbed me roughly and pulled me out to where the SBS could see me.

"We have a girl- as a hostage!" One of them shouted. "So unless you want her to get killed I suggest you back away- slowly!"

I put up with it for a few seconds... Then slammed my elbow into the man's face, and spun around, kicking him in the crotch. I grabbed his arm and flipped him in front of me. The other pirates shouted but I drew a knife and pressed it against his throat. "Back away!" I shouted in English.

They cursed, "Put your weapon down, we have the upper hand!" One of them shouted.

"I don't think so," I hissed. I looked over to the naval boats. I nodded.

That was all the signal they needed. They began firing as I dove down onto the deck, the pirate falling on top of me.

None of them expected I was capable of this.

The sounds of gunfire, screams of pain and blood showering everywhere were nasty. I closed my eyes. Finally it was all over once the SBS boarded.

"You alright?" He pulled me upright.

"I-" I hesitated. "I'm fine," I said, trying not to be sick. This was an up-close and personal encounter.

"Okay, let's get you to safety." They herded me to the rescue boat. Some of the SBS members helped me. The rest of them went to confront the pirates.

At the medical wing of a British Royal Navy carrier, I was checked up.

"Serena de Venezia," One of them read my file. "Daughter of the Duke de Venezia. What on earth were you doing on board, my lady?"

"I'm an ocean and sea life activist, major," I responded. "I was on a yacht when I saw this trawler nearby. It was wrecked and it didn't look like it was equipped properly to go on deep-sea journeys. I was concerned. Then it started to show real signs of concern. We tried to signal them but they either didn't get it or ignored us. So I swum over. Of course, I had absolutely no idea that there were pirates." I shrugged. "And on close inspection, I realised this was the Bedrieër, belonging to a certain Rafe Mfeme. I shouldn't have bothered. They've never followed any environmental law, so why should safety rules be an issue?"

Damn, I was a good liar.

The major opened his mouth about to reply, when someone walked into the room. A captain, by the looks of it... Wait... I froze.

It was Prince Robert Henstridge.

He was taller and handsomer than I remembered. I stared at him, then stood. "Your highness." I nearly fell over, overcome with a sense of vertigo, but he grasped my arm. His touch seared me right to my blood and marrow, like volcanic heat. My heart began to pound louder and my blood roared in my ears.

"My lady." He said softly. Then I recognised his voice. He was the SBS officer that helped me up. "How are you feeling?"

"I'll survive." I stated. "Thank you, your highness." I withdrew back, slowly. My arm barely left his hand. He seemed to be frozen as well, eyes wide, never leaving me. My mouth was slightly open and my cheeks were flushed. My eyes were wide and never left his.

I stepped backwards slightly, flushing. "Thank you. My apologies for making things so difficult. It was foolish of me," I admitted. "My father would have serious words if he knew what I was doing." I swallowed, biting my lip.

"It's perfectly understandable," Robert said softly, not taking his eyes off of me. He swallowed and gestured to the gurney. "Please. Get some rest and we can contact your father and the authorities in London." I nodded in thanks.

"Thank you," I said softly. "Your highness." He appeared stunned and astonished at the same time.

I forced a smile, and my eyes met his again. My heart jolted upwards, skipping a beat and then resuming its diabolical pace, and my blood burned. I quickly turned away.

He tried to recover himself. "Stay safe... My lady." He murmured.

"What was that?" One of Robert's friends in the SBS demanded.

"What?" Robert tried to act normally. In fact, his heart was pounding and thundering, and his blood seemed to be burning and its pressure was soaring at the same time.

"You and that girl- lady," he corrected. "You have something, don't you? You're... Into her."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Robert denied, but inwardly, his heart was leaping. He felt like singing, ridiculously.

He'd met her again. And now all he had to do was convince her to stay in Britain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42 0 8
They say Opposites Attract, Ever thought why? ~"That's the beauty of it all... ....you can't break someone who is already broken."~ ...
1.4K 110 36
A shared story between @Daughter_Of_TheSea and @deadclikkie // COMPLETED! SEQUEL IN PROGRESS!!! // Andromeda wanted nothing less in her life tha...
18 0 5
What if Cinderella were a mechanic? What if Snow-White were ugly? What if Rapunzel ran away on her own and became a magician? What if The Little Merm...
72 6 10
After the sinking of the Titanic, Mary (Sophia) de la Reue swore that she'd never love again. However, when she receives a second chance at life as a...