Black Rose

By KateeSmurfette

Rose Kidman is what people refer to as nice, naive, too kind, too trusting and basically a doormat, but she f... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Author's Note
Chapter 22

Chapter 3

5.7K 292 27
By KateeSmurfette

When you're not used to having money, sometimes you don't understand the thrill of shopping without a care in the world. You find yourself sort of hating the people who know this thrill because all you can think about is your debt.

Now, when an opportunity like this lands in your hands, you take full advantage of it.

I landed on the couch, laughing. "This is so much fun."

"I don't think I've ever had fun shopping before," Grace commented.

"Technically we've only tried on clothes," I argued.

"Still having fun," she countered.

"Touché," I said before we laughed.

"Sorry to ruin the fun ladies, but Miss Kidman, you have your brother's game in an hour's time. Perhaps it's time we wrap this up," Fabio suggested.

"Right! Well, I still haven't found anything I like," I pointed out.

"What about this?" Grace asked, pulling out the most stunning dress I'd seen thus far.

"That is amazing," I said, a little breathless.

"Go and try it on while I find myself a dress," she suggested.

Having already experienced her pushy side, I knew better than to argue. I grabbed the dress and went to try it on. It fit me perfectly and I went out to show Grace and Fabio, except they both weren't there.

I walked over to the full length mirror and I couldn't believe my eyes. I hadn't even prepped myself yet, but I looked beautiful. The dress is a floor length golden beauty with sequins all over. It had a deep v-neck and it shapes my every curve perfectly.

I was still looking down at the bottom of the dress when something cool went around my neck. I gasped at the feeling and looked up to be met by a wall of a man. His height towered over mine, but that's not what had me speechless.

He is a beautiful beast of a man.

His light chocolate complexion accentuates his hazel eyes. His haircut was suavely styled, and his beard was clearly well groomed. Standing behind me, he was basically shielding me from anyone behind him.

Broad shoulders curved down to his visibly taut muscles. He was dressed in an obviously expensive suit and his cologne smelled like what I imagine heaven to smell like. I was looking at him through the mirror, and even then I felt my stomach flutter at the look he was giving me.

"The dress will look perfect with this."

Before I knew it, he was walking away, and I couldn't stop him because I was still stuck in a trance of sorts. I couldn't form a coherent thought. You know when they talk about time stopping because you've seen someone who takes your breath away?

I thought that was a myth until that moment.

"Miss Kidman, are you ok?" Grace asked me. I snapped out of thought to see her worriedly standing beside me.

"Uh, yeah, I'm ok. How does this look?" I asked, showing her the dress.

She whistled lowly. "It's definitely the one."

I laughed. "Thank you. I love your selection too."

"I was a bit sceptical when I grabbed it, but I like it. It's simple and elegant, even if I'm only thirteen so technically no-one should expect more than this from me," she joked. She'd gone with a simple black dress with crystal embellishments across the waistline.

"No-one is going to judge you Grace," I told her.

She sighed. "I wish you were right, but I'm the daughter of Olivier Black. People are always judging me."

She left for the change rooms before I could say anything else. I sighed and went to change back into my clothes. We'd both found our dresses and she went over to the till to pay while I waited, browsing through some of the other clothes.

"I'm done and Fabio's already outside," she came to inform.

"Alright," I replied.

We turned to leave, but one of the salesladies stopped me. "Miss, I have something for you."

"For me?" I asked in confusion.

She nodded. "The gentleman said to give it to you before you left."

I was wondering what she was talking about as she handed me the box, until I opened it. I gasped since it was the necklace that had been around my neck and it was with a pair simple topaz studs and a gold ring. There was a folded note inside and I opened it:

Beautiful gems for a beautiful woman.

I blushed, hard, before looking back at the necklace. It really is an exquisite piece of jewellery, even in its simplicity. It's a rose about the size of a small padlock, made up of normal diamonds and topaz diamonds on a gold chain. The ring is shaped in the design of a rose.

"It comes from our Golden Rose Collection. He told me to tell you that it's a gift," the lady informed me.

"Do you know his name?" I asked.

"I can't divulge that information with you," she said politely.

I nodded in understanding. "Thank you."

"You're most welcome. You're a very lucky woman. That is a very expensive gift," she said before leaving the store.

"Ooh, someone's got a secret admirer," Grace said, making me laugh.

"I highly doubt I do. What's there to admire about me?" I asked as we left the store.

She frowned. "Besides everything?"

"You're just saying that," I said, blushing.

"I'm not. You're an incredibly beautiful woman, and it's a bonus that you're not big headed about it," she replied.

"Thank you Miss Grace, but you don't need to flatter me. I'm still chaperoning you," I said, nudging her.

She shook her head. "Fine, deny it all you want. Whoever paid for your really expensive gift clearly agrees with me."

I didn't say anything to that. We found Fabio and he informed us that he'd gone to buy masks because he'd received a message saying that the event had changed to a masquerade event. I didn't question anything, simply because I've never been to one of these things, so I wouldn't know what to expect.

Since Grace had asked to get changed at my place, she and Fabio were tagging along to Richard's game too. We arrived to a semi packed place, but there were still people coming in. We wouldn't be able to see Richard until after the game.

We sat not too far from the ground, and thanks to the cap she bought, Grace was able to at least shield herself from any attention. People were too focused on the game to notice us in any case. By the time the game was over, Richard's team had won, which was clearly upsetting for most of the people here since this is their turf.

"Well done little brother, though I probably shouldn't say that out loud because right now you're technically the enemy," I pointed out.

"Yeah, yeah. How did your shopping trip go?" he asked.

"It was ok. I found an amazing dress to wear," I replied.

"And she got a really expensive gift from a secret admirer," Grace had to add.

He narrowed his eyes. "How expensive are we talking here?"

"About two houses kind of expensive," she replied.

I shot her a disbelieving look. "What? You pick up on these things."

"Two houses?" Richard and I asked simultaneously.

"You'd be surprised by what rich people will spend their money on, and given the shop we were in, your secret admirer could be anyone," she responded.

"I have to send it back," I panicked.

"Where are you going to send it? You don't know who he is. Besides, if there's something I know about rich people, it's that the gift would find its way back to you in any case, so if I were you, I'd just accept it and move on with my life," she said.

This whole day was just proving to be crazy, but Grace looked like she knew what she was talking about. While some may question why I was choosing to trust a thirteen year old, I was choosing to trust that she's smart enough to know these things and their realities.

Richard and I didn't really say anything after that. He went to and change and we all travelled together back to my apartment. It was almost time for Grace and I to get ready to leave, but we agreed that we should probably eat first.

She insists that they never serve good food at these events.

"So, I'll probably be back late. There's a party that I'm going to," Richard informed me.

"That's fine. We can bond tomorrow," I replied.

"Are you sure you won't have any plans?" he asked, shooting a look at Grace,

The little girl laughed. "I won't steal her away. I promise it's just for tonight."

"Good. I was beginning to think you were stealing my sister away from me," he joked.

"I just might since you won't always be around," she played back.

"I'm sitting right here," I pointed out.

"We know," they said before laughing.

Bunch of crazies.

Grace and I wanted to give ourselves ample time to get ready. She wanted me to do her hair for her. Since she has curly hair, she wanted my help with straightening it out. I was curious about who does it for her when she's at home, but I saw it fit not to ask.

When she was ready, I went ahead and got myself ready. After my shower, I dried my hair before settling for an up-do hairstyle with messy tendrils. I got dressed, putting on my gold pair of heels that wouldn't be seen because of the length of the dress.

I hesitantly headed towards the jewellery box and opened it. Some part of me was hoping that I'd dreamt the whole thing up, but alas the set was still there. I put on the earrings and the ring first, before finally putting the necklace on.

"You look like a dream."

I turned to the door and my brother was looking at me with wide eyes. "I do?"

"Sis, I've never seen you look this magnificent before. I mean, I know that you're a gorgeous woman, but this is just amazing. Is that the expensive gift?" he asked.

"The necklace, earrings and ring," I confirmed.

"Whoever the man is clearly sees what we see. You are stunning. I'm even afraid to touch you right now," he joked.

I laughed. "You're such a weirdo."

"But for real sis, you're going to stand out for all the right reasons," he said proudly.

I blushed. "Thanks little brother."

I put on lip gloss, deciding to go at it without any make-up. Grace had the same reaction that Richard had, and even Fabio was amazed. I felt all kinds of beautiful, and for the first time in my life, I had an idea of what princesses must feel like.

We left for the venue after Richard took pictures of us. I was nervous for some reason, and the closer we got, the more anxious I got. By the time we arrived, I was sure I would stop breathing altogether. Grace put on her mask and I followed suit before we headed inside.

I almost ran out.

It would seem I either didn't get the memo, or I was somehow set up, but I stood out like a sore thumb, and not because I was the most gorgeous person in the room. Oh no, I wish it was because of that.

I stood out because I was the only person not wearing black or white.

Immediately all eyes turned to me as conversations ceased. I could hear them asking each other who I was, and why I was dressed differently. Grace was too awed by the artwork to bother herself with me, and I knew that to stop myself from running, I needed the next best thing.

Wine.

I awkwardly made my way to the bar before ordering a glass. Unfortunately one wasn't enough, and I found myself ordering two more before I felt the least bit prepared to turn around and face the people around me.

It was a bad idea coming here.

I didn't even know where Grace had disappeared to, or what this exhibit was about for that matter. I grabbed one of the booklets I found and read up on it. The exhibit was by an artist by the name of Calista.

I can't say I've ever heard of her.

I may not know who she is, but her pieces are amazing alright. I was intrigued as I read up on the pieces and how each one came to be. I was so caught up in my reading that I didn't realize that I had company.

"Which piece do you like?"

Just from the sound of his voice, I knew who it was. I was debating whether or not to look up at him, but I thought it would be rather childish not to. I looked up and he was dressed in a dashing tux, donning an intricate black mask.

Of course he would be in a place like this.

"I know nothing about art," I replied.

"That's not what I asked," he countered.

I paged back to a painting of a field of roses. "This one."

"Why?" he asked.

"Call me conceited, but I like Roses," I admitted.

"Why would loving Roses make you conceited?" he asked, confusion seeping through his tone.

I was grateful for the mask hiding my probably blossomed cheeks. "My name is Rose."

"Beautiful name. I guess my intuition was onto something when I got you that necklace," he commented.

Cue the blushing.

Speaking of which. "About the gift, I-"

"I don't want it back. It's a gift. Remember that it's rude to pass on or sell gifts," he said before walking away.

Once again I didn't catch his name, and this time I was left speechless from his words. He'd basically told me that I had no choice but to keep the gift. This set is probably worth everything in my apartment three times over, and I have no choice but to cherish it.

"The woman in gold who has everyone in here talking."

I turned to find a handsome man standing there. He has a charming smile, but I couldn't see his eyes because of the mask. He was well dressed in a tux, and he's a fit man by the looks of things. He also has an accent which I wasn't quite sure on.

"Hi," I greeted.

"The name's Olivier. What's yours?" he asked.

"Olivier? I thought you couldn't make it," I said, surprised.

"I wasn't going to miss this for the world. It's a special night," he said.

"It is?" I asked.

He nodded and ordered a gin and tonic before turning back to me. "Can't you just feel it in the air? I was fated to meet a beautiful woman tonight. It doesn't get any more special than that."

I could only roll my eyes and hope he hadn't seen that.

"If you could please excuse me," I said.

He held my hand, stopping me from leaving. "What is your name?"

"Rose," I replied before taking my hand back and leaving.

I was looking for Grace. After the encounter I'd just had, I was feeling underwhelmed and I wanted nothing more than to leave. I found her sitting at one of the chairs, looking deflated. I went and sat in the chair next to hers.

"Hey. What's wrong?" I asked her.

"I just found out that the artist isn't going to be here," she said.

"I'm sorry, but why is that important to you? I'm sure she'll have other exhibits," I stated.

"I love art, and it's because of her that I love art. I was just really looking forward to seeing her. She, I, never mind. It doesn't even matter. I just want to go home," she said.

"Are you sure?" I inquired.

She nodded. "Are you ok with that?"

"It's actually why I was looking for you. I also want to leave," I informed.

"Can I stay over with you? I know it's technically not allowed, but I just can't go back to that empty house tonight. I promise I won't take away from your sibling time with Richard," she pleaded.

"I don't know Grace. Will your father be ok with that?" I asked.

"I'll go ask Fabio to call him," she said getting up. She was gone before I could tell her that he was already here.

"You look like you're about to leave," my 'admirer' commented beside me.

How do I never see him coming?

"I am. I'm very overwhelmed here, and there's a little girl who needs me to be there for her," I bothered to inform.

"What's wrong with her?" he asked.

"She was really looking forward to seeing the artist and she's disappointed to find out that Calista's not coming. She's gone to find out if she can stay over with me for the night which is technically wrong since I'm her teacher but I don't care you know? She's a little girl who needs a shoulder to lean on and I'm going to be that for her, despite everything," I replied.

He was quiet for a while before speaking again. "It sounds like you care about her a lot."

"I guess I do," I said at the realization.

"She's lucky to have you," he said before getting up.

"Wait, what's your name?" I asked.

"Myron," he responded before disappearing into the crowds.

I waited a while before Grace came back. "Sorry I took so long. It took a while to reach my father, but he said it's ok. You don't mind right?"

"It's ok Grace. Let's go," I said.

We left and headed back to my apartment. When we arrived, I let her go and take a shower. She was really down and it was bothering me because I felt like there was more to this than she was telling me.

I got undressed and put on my pyjamas before heading to the kitchen to make us hot chocolate. Fabio had informed me that he'd head back to his place and be back in the morning. She walked into the kitchen as I was finishing up.

"Grace, can I ask you something?" I requested.

She nodded. "Sure."

"Are you adopted?" I asked.

She frowned. "I am. Why do you ask?"

So that explains why her father is a white man.

"It's nothing. Richard was curious," I lied.

"I was adopted as a baby. It's my birthday today," she said, ending on a lower tone.

"What? Why didn't you say anything? Why did you choose to spend the day with me of all people?" I panicked.

She laughed a little. "Do you always panic over small things?"

"What? I don't panic over small things!" I denied.

"Mhmm. Anyway, I chose to spend my birthday with you because spending time with you is fun and it makes me happy. I can't remember the last time I was this happy, and that's what I wanted for my birthday," she explained.

"What about your parents? Surely you would've preferred to spend the day with them," I argued.

She tensed. "I only have one parent."

So her mother is a touchy subject.

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

"It's fine. You kept your promise and didn't look up my father," she said with a smile.

"Which means I know nothing about you or him," I pointed out.

"Well you know stuff about me. You don't know stuff about him," she countered.

I chortled. "Alright Miss Smarty Pants. What would you like me to know about you besides the fact that you're a weirdo?"

"I resent that," she said, laughing.

"I couldn't tell," I joked.

"There's not much to know about me I guess. I love all kinds of art, but visual art is my favourite. I guess I'm what you could call a cultured child. I've always been interested in attaining knowledge. I've been put through the best etiquette schools- yes, multiple etiquette schools, and this was all before I'd turned nine. By then I was entering beauty pageants until they realized that I hated them. My dad agreed to let me do what I want, so I took up piano playing just like him. I've been to sixteen schools in my life and my dad is the most important person to me," she informed.

"Wow, you've lived a more interesting life than I have and I'm twenty five," I joked.

She giggled. "The beauties and horrors of growing up in a wealthy household."

"Sounds horrible," I commented.

She shrugged. "Eh, it has its rewards and what not."

"Well, I don't have cake, but I do happen to have doughnuts. How's that for a birthday cake?" I offered.

She sniggered. "It's perfect."

Since we didn't know where to pierce the doughnut with a candle, we didn't bother. Instead, we lit up a sparkler and had her make a wish before having the doughnuts with our hot chocolate. After some selfies, we decided to call it a night.

I don't know what time Richard came in, but when I woke up, he was passed out on the couch. He looked like he had a good time, and I laughed to myself before covering him with a blanket. Grace was still asleep in my bed and I was about to head to the kitchen when there was a knock at the door.

"Good morning," I greeted Fabio. I opened the door wider and let him in. He was carrying something huge with him.

"Good morning Miss Kidman. I bumped into a delivery man downstairs who said this was for you," he informed.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I have no clue," he replied, handing me an envelope. I opened it and pulled out the note:

There's no sin in being vain, especially with a name as beautiful as yours.

I gasped. "He didn't!"

"What is it?" Fabio asked as I unwrapped the painting.

"It's my favourite painting from the exhibit," I replied, staring at it in wonder.

"Was your secret admirer there?" Grace asked excitedly behind me.

I didn't even notice her walk into the room.

"He was. This is madness," I commented.

"You deserve to be showered with beautiful things," she argued.

"But do they have to be expensive? This must've cost a fortune!" I exclaimed.

"I told you Miss Kidman. You'd be surprised by what rich people choose to spend their money on," she said before heading to the kitchen.

This is ridiculous and I need to hunt this Myron man down and give him back his gifts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 4.5K 47
"That means you're coming with me too then." He groans, bringing a hand up to his forehead and rubbing it in exasperation. "Excuse me?" My chest puff...
4.7M 224K 72
When plain simple nerdy Emma Cole goes to Hollen Tower for an interview she quickly realizes she is out of her league. The women of Hollen Tower are...
15.1K 206 7
"I want to be completely yours." I whispered and his lips parted slightly. "You sure-" he cleared his throat. " I mean, are you aware that I'm-" "Wou...
7.4K 296 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...