Threads

By ELatimer

Alice Cunningham thinks she's inherited her Great Aunt's vacuum cleaner shop, instead she is sucked into a ma... More

Threads
Chapter Two
Chapter Three: Part 1
Chapter Three: Part 2
Chapter Four: Part 1
Chapter Four: Part 2
Chapter 5: Part 1
Chapter 5: Part 2
Chapter Six: Part 1
Chapter Six-Part 2
Chapter Seven: Part 1
Chapter Seven: Part 2
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine: Part One
Chapter Nine- Part 2
Chapter Ten: Part 1
Chapter Ten- Part 2
Chapter Eleven- Part 1
Chapter Eleven- Part 2
Chapter Twelve- Part 1
Chapter Twelve- Part 2
Chapter Thirteen- Part 1
Chapter Thirteen- Part 2
Chapter Fourteen: Part 2
Chapter Fifteen- Part 1
Chapter Fifteen- Part 2
Chapter Fifteen- Part 3
Chapter Sixteen: Part 1
Chapter Sixteen: Part 2
Chapter Sixteen: Part 3
Chapter Seventeen: Part 1
Chapter Seventeen: Part 2
Chapter Seventeen: Part 3
Chapter Eighteen: Part 1
Chapter Eighteen: Part 2
Chapter Eighteen: Part 3
Chapter Nineteen: Part 1
Chapter Nineteen: Part 2
Chapter Nineteen: Part 3
Chapter Nineteen: Part 4
Chapter Twenty: Part 1
Chapter Twenty: Part 2
Chapter Twenty: Part 3
Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Fourteen- Part 1

58.5K 2.1K 154
By ELatimer

Chapter Fourteen

Masquerade

            The following week went very fast, since Alice was both nervous and excited for Saturday. On her day off she bought a long red dress and a sequined black mask with blood-red feathers.  It was dramatic enough to thrill her, but it made her anxious thinking about seeing Ambrose again. He was so suave, his manners and charm bordering on arrogance. His dark good looks were both intimidating and alluring.

            “It’s weird,” she complained to Azura on Saturday morning, “I’ve always wanted to go to a masquerade party. I just didn’t expect it to be a masquerade party thrown by a man who claims to be a god.”

            Azura smiled. “Try not to worry. We’ll all be there with you tonight - just remember to act like you own the place.”

            “How do you mean?”

            “It’s called Peacocking. You use it on any predator. If he was a Bear, you would shout loudly, and try to look as big as possible. With Ambrose, you have to act like a Sorceress. Strut around like you’re more powerful than any of them. Don’t let him see weakness.”

            Alice giggled, imaging herself standing on her tip toes, shouting at Ambrose as though she were trying to fend a Bear off.

            Lacy and Tricia impressed her by showing up at eight on the dot. Both girls were dressed in floor length gowns. Tricia’s was midnight blue satin. She had a beaded steel grey shawl over her shoulders and her mask was done in gray and blue.  Lacy held her own mask on a stick. It was completely black with glittering sequins around the corners, and two little cat ears carved in the top. Her red hair was complimented by her deep purple dress, and her shoulders were covered by a black dress jacket.

            “You look amazing.” Tricia smiled at Alice.

            “Thank you. You girls look great too. I love the colours.”

            At quarter past, Altair arrived, his shaggy hair brushed for once, looking suave in an all-black suit and white tie. His simple black mask hung from a string around his neck. Alice tried not to stare. How could he have looked so dishevelled and dirty when she’d first met him, and now look like some kind of handsome lord?

            “Where did you steal that from?” she asked, in an effort to disguise her interest.

            “I’ve connections, miss,” he said. “You look absolutely stunning by the way.”

            She could tell her face turning red and was thinking of something to say when Azura came out from the back room.

“Here Alice, put these on.”

The older woman was wearing her mask already, a white strip of porcelain with dangling crystals on the edges that glimmered as she walked. Her long, ivy coloured gown had crystal beading underneath the bust, complimenting her steel coloured hair.  She gave Alice a small leather box.

            “These were Ruby’s. They were in the safe but I forgot about them up till now.”

            “Forgot what?” Gabriel was outfitted in a black suite and purple tie. The mask he held in one hand was purple as well and made to just cover the eyes. Behind Alice, Tricia whispered something to Lacy and giggled.

            Alice took the little box Azura gave her. Cushioned on the velvet interior of the box was a pair of sparkling diamond earrings. They were beautiful. Each diamond linked into the next to form a glimmering chain.

“I can’t wear these - what if I lose them?”

            “There’s a spell on them.” Azura grinned. “If they even drop on the floor, you’ll know.”

            “What happens if…” Alice gasped as Azura reached out and tipped the box forward. One of the diamond earrings dropped to the floor and rolled under the desk. A loud wine started, growing in volume.

            “Ah!” Gabriel’s hands were firmly in place over his pointed ears as he yelled to be heard over the deafening cry. “Ow! What the hell is that?”

            “The alarm,” Azure yelled back. “Hold on…” She reached under the desk and the horrible noise cut off abruptly.

            “Wow,” Alice winced. “That was loud.”

            “You should have seen it when someone tried to steal them from Ruby once. The look on the thief’s face was priceless.” Azura placed the earring gently back on the velvet cushion. “Put them on.”

            “I’m sort of scared,” Alice joked. “What if it goes off in my ear?”

            “It won’t.”

            She plucked the earrings up and put them in her ears. Azura stood back and looked her up and down approvingly. “You look every inch the lady.”

            “Hopefully every inch the Witch.”

            “Sorceress,” Altair corrected.

            “We don’t know that yet,” Alice said firmly.

            “Ah, but tonight, you are a Sorceress.”

            Alice looked over at Shakra, who stood by the front desk watching the proceedings.

            “You’re coming, right?”

            “You think it wise?”

            Alice noted that Lacy, Tricia and Altair were taking a great interest in the one-sided conversation. They could probably guess that Shakra was talking to her.

            “I think it would make people take me more seriously.”

            “I admit it would put my mind at ease to accompany you.”

            The sharp sound of a car horn interrupted them.

            “Your ride, m’lady.” Altair offered an arm to her playfully.

            “I thought we were taking a cab,” Azura said.  Alice allowed Altair to guide her out the door, and the group stopped in surprise on the sidewalk. Waiting for them was a long, gleaming stretch limo. The driver, a short little man with a wide moustache, tipped his hat and gave Altair a friendly wave.

            “How did you manage this?” Alice said in astonishment.

            “You must arrive in style.” Altair opened the door for them. “Everyone else can get in first - it’s imperative that Alice is the first to step out when we arrive. It’s all about the entrance.”

            Azura and the two girls climbed in first, followed by Gabriel and Altair.  Alice climbed in next, followed by Shakra, who settled herself on the floor.  Alice looked around in awe.  She’d only ridden in a limousine once - Jason and some of his friends had gotten one for grad, but it hadn’t been anything like this. The seats were made of the most comfortable leather, and the ceiling was set with twinkling lights, like tiny stars. Soft jazz music was playing overhead. Altair leaned forward, reaching past Tricia to open a compartment across from them. He drew out several champagne glasses.

“Bubbly anyone?”

            “Might as well live like we’re used to it.” Azura took one of the offered flutes.

 Alice said, “Okay, but just one.”

            Altair uncorked the bottle and poured a glass for each of them.

            “Seriously, how did you arrange all this?” Alice asked.

            “Called in a few favours.” He smirked. “You like?”

            “I could defiantly get used to it,” she murmured.

            The ride wasn’t long, and Alice sighed regretfully as the limo rolled up the driveway towards the huge house at the top.  The lavish gardens on either side of the stone driveway were artfully painted by spotlights. They passed through a set of tall iron gates and at last entered the broad parking area. Pillars on either side of the front steps supported a marble archway that curved over the double doors.  The windows were arched, and several on the top level were stain glass, each one lit from within.

             There were two more limos parked at the entrance, although neither was as big as theirs. They could hear the loud splashing of a brightly lit, many levelled fountain in the center of the lot.  There were people milling about on the steps of the house, snapping pictures of everything that moved.

            “Is that the press?” Alice peered out the window.

            “Paparazzi!” Tricia squealed excitedly. “Maybe we’ll get into “Witches”.”

            Lacy touched her hair self-consciously. “I hope they get my good side.”

Altair snorted, “Yes, that’s the press. Ambrose lets them get closer to the house than any other celebrity. He loves the publicity.”

            “Do we have to get out?”  She was tempted to tell the driver to turn around and take them home.  They rolled to a stop behind the second limo.  

            “Okay,” Altair said, “Sit tight. We let the first two groups make their entrance.”

            Alice clutched at the butterflies in her stomach as she watched the first limousine’s occupant step out.

            “Oh!” Tricia gasped, “Look at her dress!”

            The woman that stepped out was tall, with long blonde ringlets. Her dress was a dusty rose color, and her mask was covered in tiny diamonds, glimmering as she turned her head.

She smiled at the photographers, gliding forward, her dress rippling like water.  They snapped picture after picture of her, exclaiming delightedly and jockeying for the best positions. Alice rolled down her window a tiny crack.

            “Laphelia, look this way!”

            “What designer is your dress by?”

            “Over here, Laphelia!”

            “Oh, I just got a great shot…”

            The doors swung open as Laphelia reached the top step, emitting a burst of noise and light, and she disappeared inside.  The photographers forgot about her as soon as she was out of sight; the next limousine drove up to the bottom of the steps and they readied their cameras excitedly.

            Two women emerged, each in brilliant, jewel toned satin dresses. The masks they wore covered only half of their face, stopping in the middle of their lips and nose. They were done in a domino pattern - the first woman’s mask was on the right side of her face, the second woman wore hers on the left. In spite of the masks, Alice knew immediately who they were. The feathers on their backs had been covered in silver sparkles, and when they climbed out and spread them open, stretching their glittering wings so that they were nearly as long as the limousine from tip to tip, the effect was staggering.  The press loved it, snapping pictures and chattering excitedly.

            Alice told Azura, “That’s Megaria and Alecto.”

            “They certainly know how to make an impressive entrance.”

            The sisters went up the stairs slowly, acknowledging the photographers, smiling graciously.

            Now it was Alice’s turn. As soon as the limo in front pulled away, they rolled forward and came to a stop. The driver shut off the car and Altair leaned forward and swung the door open. Alice took in a deep breath and placed her feathered mask over her face, tying the silken red ribbon firmly under her loose curls.

“Okay, here goes.”

            “Go on,” Altair urged. “We’ll be right behind you. Shakra, you get out after and walk with her. The press will have a field day.”

            “Great…” Alice muttered. She took a deep breath and climbed carefully out of the limousine.  The night air was crisp; she was grateful for the black fur shawl that Azura had loaned her. One or two shutters went off, and Alice blinked. The press murmured to one another, trying to guess who it was beneath the feathered mask. She heard the sound of Shakra climbing out of the car behind her, and then the press clamoured excitedly.

            “Alice! Alice Cunningham!”

            “Look this way Alice. Over here.”

            “What’s your Tiger’s name?”

            They know me? She nearly froze on the spot. Shakra brushed by her gently, and Alice put a hand on the Tiger’s broad back and took a deep breath, doing her best to walk forward with confidence.She could hear the others disembarking, and soon they followed behind her and Shakra.The flash of the cameras was nearly blinding; she looked straight ahead, ignoring their cries, concentrating on getting up the stairs in her high heeled shoes without falling over. The doors swung slowly open, held by two solemn men in dark suites and they were met by a third, sombre looking man, who gestured them onwards.  Alice trailed after him, trying not to look like a gawping ninny as she gazed around her at the lavish decorations and towering pillars.

 The inside reminded her of a roman bath house, done in exquisitely carved marble with a ridiculous amount of wide open space. There was even a rock pool at the far end, with lily pads and floating candles on the surface. Alice saw the glimmer of gold and red scales as large Koi fish swam back and forth.  Ferns and potted palms decorated the edges of the space and she inhaled deeply, enjoying the humid scent. It almost reminded her of a rain forest.

            The butler led them up a set of marble stairs. He arrived at the double doors at the top, rapped sharply with his knuckles, and the doors opened slowly inwards.  The sights and sounds that greeted them were overwhelming. It was no surprise that Ambrose’s parties had become legend.  The ballroom was packed with laughing, chattering people – women in long dresses swept across the marble floor, gentlemen in fine suits and mysterious masks tipped their hats and gave low bows. In a balcony on the far wall, musicians filled the room with the gentle sound of the violins. 

            Alice stood at the top of the huge marble staircase. The railings were draped with purple gauze and wrapped with ivy. Glowing pillar candles lit each stair littered by orange rose petals.  The ballroom was decorated by beautifully detailed golden statues, each holding candelabrum that cast glowing light over the floors and walls while offering a food platter with the other golden hand. People plucked fruit and delicate wine flutes from them as they passed by.   A continuous shower of confetti fell on the party goers, and Alice looked up, surprised to see a balcony many feet above, where people in white robes were sprinkling the colourful scraps out of golden bowls.

            At the far end of the room, several tables groaned under vast amounts of food.  At the center sat the most enormous cake Alice had ever seen. It had seven towering layers, and vibrant flowers draped down from every level.

            “Ladies to the right, gentlemen to the left,” Altair whispered.

Alice turned down the right side of the staircase, Shakra padding beside her. The other women followed closely behind, Lacy and Tricia nudging one another and exclaiming over the ballroom as they descended.

            She peered down through her mask to be sure that her long dress did not brush any of the flickering candle flames. How embarrassing would that be? The press could report on how Alice Cunningham set herself on fire at the Masquerade ball.

            She was so busy watching her step on each stair that she didn’t see Alexie Ambrose and his crowd of followers until he was right in front of her.  He swept towards her, dressed in a pair of ridiculously tight leather pants and a white shirt with a ruffled collar. His mask was covered with dark purple velvet and sported a number of white half-moons and stars. Behind him was Allira, dressed in a long black gown that slit on one side, revealing a good deal of white, shapely leg.  The neckline of her dress sparkled with black diamonds, and sunk so low between her breasts that Alice had to do her best not to stare. Allira’s mask was also black with little diamonds on the sides, and she glowered at Alice from beneath it. Women trailed behind Allira dressed in sparkling gowns and diamonds, hair done in elaborate styles. 

            “Alice!” Ambrose purred. “You’re here, and that has made my night complete. “ His eyes grew wide when he spotted Shakra. “Goodness, what a lovely pet. I hope you fed him before you came.”

            The ladies, excluding the lavishly dressed Allira, tittered behind white gloved hands.

            “Shakra is a “she”,” Alice said evenly. She spotted Altair and Gabriel coming towards them from the other side of the stairs, neither man looked happy.

            “Beg pardon,” Ambrose said smoothly. “Now come with me, darling. I have eagerly awaited your presence. I want to show you my humble abode.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.5K 164 16
Percy Jackson was betrayed by everyone, accused by the gods for a crime he did not do, an alliance he did not join, and sent to Tartarus as punishmen...
324K 9.3K 52
UNDERGOING MAJOR EDITING Castiel is an only child of Hades and Persephone. He's a Demi-God, arrogant, spoiled, with a heart turned black ins...
2K 52 12
A Percy Jackson x Annabeth Chase story. Sequel to A God in Disguise, Pontus finds he cannot truly stop the inevitable monster-demigod cycle. That su...
69.5K 566 10
FULL STORY NOW ON KINDLE UNLIMITED New Olympus: a secret haven where Greek mythology comes to life and mortals possess godly powers. Leila is the ci...