Black Rose

By KateeSmurfette

Rose Kidman is what people refer to as nice, naive, too kind, too trusting and basically a doormat, but she f... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Author's Note
Chapter 22

Chapter 2

5.9K 303 56
By KateeSmurfette

"I'm telling you Rose. Be glad you're teaching Math and not Science," Talia commented.

I could only laugh. She was telling me about how some kid messed with some chemicals and ended up making a mess in the Science Lab that she had to spend two hours cleaning up. She also had to fill in forms for some new equipment that was damaged from this incident.

I've been here two months and it's been nothing short of amazing. Everyone has welcomed me and the kids have told me that I'm one of their favourite teachers. Even the parents have welcomed me, and I learnt that the parents here have a very big say in how things are run.

People with money.

I've settled into my apartment, though I haven't unpacked. I've just been so lazy to do anything about the boxes. I've taken out only the everyday things I need, and have successfully managed to keep everyone away from my apartment.

I've made two new friends, Talia and Celia. Talia is a beautiful redhead with sparkling blue eyes, and she teaches Science. Celia is a gorgeous caramel beauty with chocolate eyes, and she teaches History. They're both in relationships.

I have an admirer in the form of Kennedy Everson. He's King Francis High School's Math teacher. He's pretty cute with his dark hair and blue eyes, but he doesn't excite me all that much. It's like looking at Jeffrey and I've promised myself that I will not entertain a relationship with a man who doesn't invoke any particularly thrilling emotions in me.

"I'm sorry Tee. Just be more vigilant the next time he's in your class," I offered.

"Oh, you can bet on that much happening. Anyway, what are your plans for the weekend?" she asked as we left the teacher's lounge.

"Nothing much. I was just going to do some marking and binge watch some series. You?" I asked.

She laughed. "Same."

"Miss Kidman, may I please see you in my office?" Gail requested as we passed by her.

"Sure thing," I replied.

"I'll catch up with you at lunch," Talia told me, to which I nodded before following Gail.

Her office is huge and very modern. It's not like typical principal's offices that you see. It looks more corporate than anything. She signalled for me to take a seat, which I did. I was a little nervous about what she had to say since I hadn't been in here before.

"Well Rose, it would seem I was right about you. Everyone loves you, and we're all thrilled to have you as a part of our team. Have you found your feet yet?" she asked.

"I have, thank you. Everyone's been so welcoming, and I'm in love with the city," I replied.

"That's great to hear. The reason why I've called you in here is because there's a new student coming in today and she's going to be placed in your class. There's something we'd like to establish. She's very, different from all your other students," she said.

"Different how? Mentally? Physically?" I questioned.

"Mentally I guess, but I can't tell you any more than that. I'm just trying something out," she replied.

I scowled. "Uhm ok. What are the expectations from me here?"

"You just need to keep teaching the way that you do, and we'll see from there," she responded.

I was confused and I realized that she wasn't going to tell me any more than she had. I agreed to what she'd said and left for my first class as the bell had gone. It was a Friday and you could tell from how buzzed the atmosphere was in the class.

They're always super distracted on Fridays.

The new student came. Her name is Grace and she is very quiet. I haven't heard her say a single thing. She travels with a bodyguard. The other kids don't talk to her, and not because she doesn't speak, but because they seem to know more about her than I do.

"Celia, do you know anything about Grace?" I asked her.

Grace had been at the school for a week. They'd taken her out of my classroom for two days, but after that she was back. She would sit and only take notes in my class. I'd gone as a substitute for the English teacher two days back, and she'd followed me there too.

"Grace who?" Celia asked.

"Grace Black, the new girl," I replied.

"Uh, why do you ask?" she asked, sounding strange.

"Because of things like your tone right now," I pointed out.

She sighed. "Grace Black is the daughter of Olivier Black, the schools greatest benefactor and the most mysterious man this side of the world."

"What?" I asked in confusion.

"There are rumours about the man, which is why everyone keeps their distance from his daughter. He's not a good man Rose. Stay far away from his daughter," she told me before the bell went.

Her words unsettled me. It didn't seem right to me that people were avoiding this poor child based on whatever it is that her father is said to be. That was in my thoughts as I walked back to my classroom. I had a free period and I didn't expect to find the little girl there.

"Grace," I called to her. She jumped and looked up, eyes widened.

"Hey, it's ok. I'm not going to hurt you or anything like that. Why are you here? Don't you have class?" I asked.

She didn't say anything for the longest time. "I don't like the other teachers."

I walked over and sat at the desk in front of the one she was sitting at. "Why not?"

"I actually don't like anyone in this place except you. You don't look at me like I'm an alien," she replied.

"This isn't the first school where this is happening, is it?" I asked knowingly.

"It's my eleventh school in the past two years alone. Everywhere I go, people treat me differently because of who my father is. I'm guessing you know nothing about him," she commented.

"I just learnt his name today, but even if I knew who he was, I wouldn't treat you any differently. You're not your father, and it's wrong that people isolate you because of him," I told her.

"Not everyone thinks like you, and that's why you're probably the only person to ever hear me speak in this place," she said with a smile.

I returned the smile. "You have a beautiful smile Grace. You don't smile very often, do you?"

"With the kind of life I live, despite having one of the richest men in the country as my father, I don't have much to smile about. It's true what they say about money not buying happiness," she said sadly.

"Well, I'm here for you with anything you need," I said, holding her hand.

"Do you happen to teach anything else other than Math?" she asked.

"I teach Math, but I also took up English, Geography, Science and History. Why?" I counter asked.

She shook her head, a smile on her face. "It's nothing."

I shot her a look but she wasn't saying anything. She just laughed and got back to her writing. I left her to it, going back to my desk to prepare for my next class. We just sat in the quiet class together and I had no problem with that.

When the final bell of the day went, I couldn't have been happier. This particular week had been exhausting and I was looking forward to once again doing nothing with my weekend. I was surprised when Grace walked up to me after everyone had left the class.

"Miss Kidman, what are your plans for the weekend?" she asked.

"Nothing as far as I know," I replied.

"Great! There's this exhibit happening at one of my dad's art galleries. I don't think he's going to make it, and he wanted to take me through. Since he can't make it, I was wondering if you'd come with me. I need adult supervision. I'll clear it with him and Fabio," she rambled.

I was barely keeping up. "Who's Fabio?"

"My bodyguard," she informed.

"Ok, where is this exhibit happening?" I asked.

"May I please have your numbers and I'll send you the details," she requested.

Eh, it's not like anything interesting is happening with my life.

I wrote down my details as she'd requested before Fabio told her that they had to leave. I wasn't sure if establishing this kind of relationship with Grace was allowed, but I figured since no one else is accommodating of her, it wouldn't hurt to at least be her friend.

I packed up my stuff and managed to avoid bumping into anyone who would've delayed my departure. Since I still don't have enough money to buy a car, I still use cabs. I caught a cab to my apartment and I was shocked to find my brother outside.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"Ah gee, I come to finally visit and this is the love I get," he said sarcastically.

I laughed, hugging him. "I'm sorry. I'm just surprised."

"I couldn't tell," he teased.

"Whatever! How long are you here for?" I asked as we headed into the apartment.

"You still haven't unpacked?" he asked incredulously.

"Stop judging me and answer my question," I replied.

He chuckled. "I knew we were taking a risk by letting you move out on your own. I'm only here for three days. We have a game tomorrow and I figured I'd crash with you rather than the guys."

"I feel so honoured," I said dramatically.

"You should considering we're staying at a hotel. I chose your disorganized apartment over a hotel," he joked.

I shrugged. "Well I can't be blamed for your stupidity."

"The love coming my way from you is so overwhelming. I'm drowning in it," he said, deadpan.

I chortled. "I'm happy to have you here little brother. What time is your game tomorrow?" I asked.

"It's in the afternoon. Why? You got a date?" he teased.

"Of sorts. I don't know at what time though," I responded just as I received an email.

"What's with the look on your face?" my brother asked as I frowned at my phone.

"My invitation for tomorrow's plans has just come through," I replied.

"Ok, and?" he asked.

"And it's nothing like what I was expecting," I said, showing it to him.

According to the invitation, it's an exclusive exhibit viewing by some esteemed artist. It's a black tie event and I don't even have a dress to wear. By the looks of things, even getting an invitation to this thing is an honour.

For me that is.

"Who's Grace and how did she get you a ticket to one of the most talked about exhibits right now?" my brother asked. Before I could reply, my phone started ringing.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Did you get it?" a girl's voice came through.

"I just did, but you said nothing about it being so exclusive," I replied.

"It's my dad's art gallery. I assumed you'd put two and two together," she replied.

"I don't even know who your father is, though I'm going to do my research," I said thoughtfully.

"Can I ask you not to?" she said.

"Why not?" I asked.

"I really don't want your opinion on everything to change. Please just trust whatever you see with your own two eyes over everything else and promise me you won't believe anything else," she pleaded.

I sighed. "Alright fine. I promise I won't look his name up, but I have nothing to wear. Perhaps I shouldn't go."

"Leave everything up to me. Please come with me Miss Kidman. I really need to go to this exhibit and my dad already said it's fine," she continued to beg.

I hope this isn't a mistake.

"Ok Grace, I'll go with you. I'll make a plan with the dress," I told her.

She squealed. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I promise you won't regret it."

Before I could say anything else, I was met by the dialling tone. "So you're a lesbian now? Is this what it's come down to?"

I smacked him with a cushion. "Grace is my student."

"Oh God! Not only are you a lesbian, but you're going after a little girl?" he taunted.

"I will kick you out," I threatened.

He laughed. "Tell me more about your inappropriate lover."

God grant me the strength.

"She's a student of mine who recently joined our school. She's isolated because of who her father is. She asked me to accompany her to that exhibit which happens to be happening at her father's art gallery. She doesn't think he'll be able to make it, so she asked me to accompany her," I explained.

"You're befriending the daughter of Olivier Black?" he asked incredulously.

"You know who he is?" I asked.

"He's one of the most notorious businessmen this side. He owns about half of the commercial properties in the city, and has his fingers in five different sectors including biomechanics. He's respected in his fields, but his personal life is shady from what I know," he informed.

I shot him an amused look. "Someone knows a lot about Olivier Black."

"He's the CEO of one the best gaming companies in the world. You kind of pick up on these things when you're the fan of a great mind," he said sheepishly.

"But if he's so great, why would people isolate Grace because of him?" I asked.

"I don't know the full story, but I know it has to do with his personal life. He may have a great mind, but from what I hear, that's the only thing great about him," he replied.

"I'm not sure if I want to ever cross paths with him, but I can't let Grace down. She's counting on me," I pointed out.

He shrugged. "Just roll with it sis."

"You're very ok with this," I said with narrowed eyes.

"Even if I tried to stop you, by going to Holly and Jeffrey's wedding as the Maid of Honour no less, proves that you do whatever you want, so what's the point?" he said.

Well, ouch.

"That's not fair," I said, hurt by his words.

He sighed before coming over to hug me. "Look Rose, I know you have a heart of gold, but your heart has a tendency of landing you in situations that aren't ideal. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of these situations, and because I love you, I already know that I have to let you live it out because whether you like it or not, you already have a soft spot for that little girl. Hence, you're going to most likely have to cross paths with her father eventually. It may not even be all that much of a big deal, or it may be a life changer for you. Who cares? We'll just have to wait and see."

I wish I'd known then just how true his words would be.

We settled for some sibling bonding that involved watching movies, playing video games and eating junk food. It was like I was back in college, and for the first time in two months, I was truly carefree. My brother is truly heaven sent.

In the morning, I was woken up by loud banging at the door. Richard slept through the whole thing, while I grudgingly made my way to the door. The last two people I expected to see on the other side were Grace and Fabio.

"Good morning Miss Kidman. We're here to take you shopping," Grace gladly informed as she walked right in.

"I, uh, I, what?" I fumbled.

"I heard you've been here for two months already. How come you haven't unpacked your stuff?" she asked, referring to the boxes around the apartment.

I rubbed my temples. "Grace, it's eight in the morning. What are you doing in my apartment? Hell, how did you find my apartment?"

"My dad knows people," was all she said.

"Of course he does," I mumbled.

"Mr Black has agreed to purchase everything that you need for tonight. He has also agreed to let Grace get ready here with you under her request and then I will drive you both to the art gallery. I will bring you home from the event as well," Fabio informed.

"This is too much for me to handle. I'm not even fully awake yet," I said lowly.

"I'll make you coffee while you get ready," Grace offered.

I sighed. "Grace, you're not even supposed to be here. As lovely as your father's offer is, this is all insane. It's too much."

I regretted my words when a crestfallen look descended on her face. "Oh, I'm sorry. We'll leave."

Once again, I hope I'm not making a mistake here.

"Wait," I stopped them from leaving.

"Yes?" Fabio was the one to say.

"I'll come with you if you add toast to that coffee. I can't start my day on an empty stomach," I pointed out.

Grace beamed before running over to hug me. "Thank you! I promise you won't regret this."

I would hope not.

I'm not a morning person, and that much was evident with how I was dragging myself. However, Grace's spirits weren't going to be broken as she patiently waited for me to get ready. I was wondering why she wasn't making my coffee and toast, until I walked into the lounge to a gourmet breakfast.

"What's this?" I asked, amazed.

"I didn't have much to work with, but this should do," Fabio replied.

"Uh sis, who are these people?" my brother asked sleepily.

I ignored him, my attention still on Fabio. "You cook?"

"Everyone hired by Mr Black needs to know how to cook," was the response I received.

Mr Black sounds like a weird man.

"Oh wow, thank you for this," I said, before digging in.

"Mr Kidman, I took the liberty of making you a dish too," Fabio told Richard.

My brother wasn't fully awake, but he nodded nonetheless. "Thanks."

He would definitely be asking me about this later.

"So Miss Kidman, since the exhibit is tonight, do you have plans for the day?" Grace asked me.

"I've got my brother's game but that's it," I replied.

Richard beamed, looking more awake. "You're coming to watch me play?"

I smiled. "You're actually close enough for me to. I wouldn't miss it for anything."

"Mom's going to be so bummed that she couldn't get to see me play," he commented.

"Aren't you playing any games in Colorado?" I asked.

"It depends on how far into the league we make it," he replied.

"Is that where you're from? Colorado?" Grace asked us.

I nodded. "Denver."

"Cool! I've grown up in different places, but this place has been my home for seven years. We keep coming back," she informed.

"Wait, you're Grace Black," Richard said, clearly fully aware of his surroundings.

She nodded. "Yes I am."

"Why are you here?" he asked her.

"Richard!" I scolded.

Grace laughed. "It's ok Miss Kidman. I'm here because I've put my teacher in an awkward position by asking her to be my chaperone to an event she doesn't have a dress for. I managed to talk my dad into paying for anything she needs for tonight, and he doesn't mind because nothing we buy today could possibly dent his account."

"Nice life problems," I murmured, making Fabio chuckle, which he covered with a cough.

Richard looked at her sceptically. "Your father is buying my sister a dress?"

"And anything else she wants for tonight," Grace added.

"And you see nothing wrong with that?" Richard asked her.

"Richard!" I scolded once more.

"What? It's a valid question," he argued.

"My father hasn't bought anything for a woman in the longest time, and neither has he seen me smile in two years. Yesterday was the first time I smiled in two years and it was because of my favourite teacher. I asked her to come with me to an event that will be filled with pretentious people in expensive clothing. I know what it's like to stand out and have people isolate you. I asked her to come with me, so the last thing I need is for her to not enjoy the night because she's being isolated. I asked my dad to do this one thing for me and do you know what he asked. He asked me if she was the reason that he was seeing me smile for the first time in two years, and I told him that she was. That's the reason why he's so willing to do this. My father doesn't just go around preying on innocent women, despite what people say about him," Grace said darkly before storming out of the apartment.

"If I may, Grace is a smart girl, and while she doesn't like letting people know just how smart she is, she's very much aware of the things people think of her father and she will defend his honour at all turns before letting anyone think of him in any kind of way than she knows him to be. Don't take it to heart. She just loves her father very much," Fabio said before following after her.

I smacked Richard's arm. "See what you've done!"

"I'm sorry. I truly am. I'm just looking out for you and I know I said that I wouldn't, but you're my sister Rose. I just want you to be careful," he said.

"I'm a grown woman Richard," I reminded.

"A grown woman with a track record of being too trusting. Just promise me you'll be careful Rose. The last thing I want for you is to find yourself in a situation that you won't be able to dig yourself out of," he said seriously.

I guess I could see where he was coming from. "I promise to be careful, but I also have another promise to uphold. I promised that little girl that I wouldn't look into her father and I intend to keep that promise, especially when she's defended him so valiantly. There's obviously more to this picture."

"Alright, I'll give you that much. Do you think they're still here?" he asked.

"There's only one way to find out. I'll see you at your game. Text me the details," I told him as I stood up to find my phone and wallet.

"I will. Have fun being pampered by the rich," he joked.

I glared at him. "Thin ice young man."

He chuckled, hugging me, before kissing my forehead. "I love you Rosie."

"I love you too Richie. Don't forget to lock up," I told him before kissing his cheek.

I headed out of the building and I wasn't all that surprised to find a sleek white luxury sedan there. Fabio and Grace were both standing beside it, and when she saw me, she shot me a nervous look. I smiled and opened up my arms to her and she ran into them.

"I'm sorry about my outburst. I..." she trailed off.

"You don't have to explain anything Grace. You love your father and that's admirable. That's all I need to know," I told her.

She smiled. "You're an amazing person Miss Kidman."

"Barely, but thank you. Now let's get this show on the road," I suggested.

"We're going to find you the perfect dress, and you'll be the best dressed woman there," she said excitedly.

What have I gotten myself into?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

625 33 6
Your Favorite Characters Are Back!! After all the drama that Kim has endured in her last year of high school she decided to leave with her son Royal...
259K 6.9K 30
"It's been so long," I whispered. His jaw tightened. "Not long enough," he snapped back. My heart shattered as he stood up and left. And I realized...
2.2K 242 55
"So are we ever going to trust each other?" "Of course we will." He says while also leaning forward showcasing his smile and pearly whites. "So c...
4.4M 155K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...