Smoke and Mirrors ▹ Alec Ligh...

By jemcarstcirs

❝I said that I was in love with you. That's what you heard, right? That I'm in love with you.❞ ( THE MOR... More

SMOKE AND MIRRORS
PART ONE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
PART TWO
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
PART THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
EPILOGUE
SEQUEL

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

13.9K 516 243
By jemcarstcirs

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
BEFORE THE STORM

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     "I can't believe you scolded me for running late when you aren't even packed," Jace said from where he was sprawled across Adrian's bed, chin in his hands as he watched Adrian move around his room. Adrian wasn't bothering to fold his clothes. He was just throwing jeans, shirts, underwear, and jackets into the large duffel stretched out beside Jace. None of them knew how long they'd be in Idris, so he didn't want to risk running out of clothes. Once he was done with the clothes, he threw a set of daggers on top. His stele was hanging out of his hoodie pocket. He shoved it back in as he looked over his bedroom. He felt like he was forgetting something, but he couldn't put his finger on it. He frowned, then looked at Jace, who was waiting patiently for a response.

"Do as I say," Adrian said, bending to flick Jace on the nose, "not as I do, Jace." Jace jerked back, rising to his knees as he swatted Adrian's hand away.

"Well, I don't know about that," Jace said, watching as Adrian rifled through his duffel bag. He glanced up at Jace, curious, as Jace looked over his room, as if searching for anything Adrian had forgotten. "I've never been with a guy before." Adrian straightened in surprise, blinking a few times. He opened his mouth, closed it, then let out a small laugh.

"If only you'd said that to me before I got a boyfriend," he teased, making Jace raise his eyebrows. "I would've been happy to volunteer."

"So suave," Jace drawled, leaning back on his hands. His golden eyes had brightened, and Adrian was glad. He'd been down since the day before, eyes hooded and dark when he had entered Adrian's bedroom earlier. "I daresay it even rivals myself. Stop it. I'm blushing." His voice was flat, but when Adrian started laughing, a smile broke out across his face.

"We have a weird relationship," Adrian noted, still chuckling as he attempted to organize the contents of his duffel bag. He picked up the sheathed daggers and placed them in the holsters around his hips. He doubted they'd run into any trouble, but it was better to be safe than sorry. Glancing at the time, he sighed and started pulling the clothes back out, folding them as fast as he could.

"I prefer to call it supportive." Jace moved across the bed and started helping. "So! What are you and Alec going to do in Idris?" Adrian shot him a questioning look, raising an eyebrow when Jace grinned. "Take a dip in Lake Lyn? Sneak off into Brocelind Forest? Break into one of those old abandoned houses that everyone claims is haunted?" The way Jace raised his eyebrows suggestively made Adrian roll his eyes and hit him with a folded pair of jeans. Jace laughed.

"I..." Frowning, Adrian glanced away, suddenly uncomfortable. "I don't know. I try to stay in the background when I'm there. Everything I do finds its way back to my dad, so I don't..." Adrian paused in his folding, then forced himself to shrug his shoulders. "I don't know." Jace was silent for a moment.

"Take him on a date," Jace suggested. They were halfway done with the folding now, and Jace started packing the folded pieces of clothing back into the duffel.

"To where?" Adrian asked in disbelief. "It's going to be crowded. No matter where we go—Alec isn't comfortable enough in his own skin to go to any of Alicante's restaurants, not with so many people around. And all the usual 'alone' spots are taken whenever the Clave calls a meeting. It's like people can't help but go on dates and fuck out in the open when they're in Idris."

"Well, it is a beautiful place." Jace thought for a moment. When he didn't speak for a while, Adrian continued.

"And I'm not going to skinny-dip in Lake Lyn, Jace." Jace scowled at that, opening his mouth to no doubt argue with him about it. Adrian made a sound to shut him up. "You're not, either. If I find out you did, I'm going to kick your ass. And I can fucking take you, okay, I'm not afraid to punch you in the face." Jace scowled even more, crossing his arms over his chest, leaving Adrian to pack the rest of the clothes into the bag.

"It's not like the water is poisonous," Jace mumbled after a moment.

"Yes, it is," Adrian pointed out, putting the last jacket into the bag and shooting his friend a glare. "It makes us hallucinate. Nephilim have gone mad drinking that shit for the same reasons you want to. Some have even drowned because they thought they could breathe underwater, or thought they were mermaids or something. You're not doing it, even if I have to chain you to the bed. Do not—" Adrian raised a finger when Jace smirked and opened his mouth. "—say anything about how kinky that sounded. I heard it when you did and I'm trying to be serious."

"You used to be more fun." Jace heaved a heavy sigh. "Alec's tamed you in, like, a day." Adrian rolled his eyes and zipped his duffel shut.

"Listen, if you wanna get drunk and destroy property and cause general chaos while in Idris, count me the hell in. It's been pretty stressful lately, so god knows we need it. But I'm not going to drink Lake Lyn water just because I can. That's just self-destructive."

"Fine. Be that way. And no—" It was Jace's turn to raise his hand when Adrian opened his mouth. "—I won't drink any of the Lake Lyn water, by the Angel." He scoffed and shook his head, then lapsed into silence. Adrian fiddled with the handles to his daggers and glanced around his room again, brows furrowing. Jace sighed. "Take him shopping for weapons." Adrian stared at him for a long time.

"What?" he asked a few moments later. Jace rolled his eyes.

"Like, as a date," Jace clarified, even though he didn't have to. Adrian had known what he had been referring to. Adrian just couldn't believe those words had actually left Jace's mouth, couldn't believe Jace thought that was in any way romantic.

"That's the worst date idea I have ever heard," Adrian said immediately. Jace looked genuinely offended, lips pulling down in a frown. He opened his mouth to argue, but Adrian was going on. "Please tell me you haven't done that before? That's an awful first date, for anyone—"

"No, it isn't—"

"Yes, it is. Jace, come on—"

Both of their mouths snapped shut when there was a knock on Adrian's door. A moment later, without waiting for an answer, Alec was walking in. Adrian smiled, and even though Alec returned it, he still glanced between him and Jace, looking curious.

"What are you two talking about?" he asked, laughter in his voice. Jace ran a hand through his hair and let out a heavy sigh.

"Adrian asked me for date ideas," Jace lied smoothly, making Adrian roll his eyes.

"No, I didn't. You just offered date ideas. Horrible date ideas." Crossing his arms over his chest, Adrian turned back toward Alec, who looked even more amused. He wondered how much he had heard before he knocked on the door. "Alec, would you want to go shopping for weapons on our first official date?" Alec blinked, looking surprised, and then he wrinkled his nose. That was all the answer Adrian needed. He waved a hand at Alec as he rounded on Jace, who was glaring at Alec as if he felt betrayed. Adrian heard Alec give a soft laugh behind him, and a warm feeling seeped into his stomach. "You see? Your date ideas suck, Jace."

"They do not." Jace was almost pouting now, glare flickering between the two of them. "You know what? I'm going to take a girl on a date and take her shopping for weapons someday. She'll love it, and I'll prove both of you wrong." Alec snorted.

"That would require you to actually get a date first," Alec said, making a laugh burst out of Adrian's mouth. He slapped his hand over his mouth, but it was too late. Jace was even more offended now. Jace gave an offended sound and got to his feet.

"I don't need this," he was saying. He pointed an accusing finger at Adrian. "I'm not helping you pack anymore." Adrian raised his eyebrows.

"I'm mostly done," he pointed out, "and you didn't help much to begin with."

"Speaking of packing," Alec said, suddenly remembering why he had come to Adrian's room in the first place. "Magnus wants everyone to bring their things outside. He's going to send them ahead while we wait for Clary." Jace's face darkened again. He didn't say another word, just brushed past them both and left the room. Adrian was about to grab his bag and follow him, but he hesitated, brow furrowing in thought.

"What the hell am I forgetting?" he mumbled, mostly to himself, though of course Alec heard it. He ran a hand through his hair and shot Alec a curious look when he heard Alec give that soft laugh again.

"You know, for someone who freaked out about this, you sure did lose it fast," Alec said, bringing his hand out from behind his back and twirling Adrian's new staff through the air.

"Where'd you find it?" Adrian asked, frowning.

"In the armory." Alec stopped twirling it and held it out to him, but he didn't let go when Adrian grabbed it. "Were you putting fresh runes on it last night?" Adrian shook his head, tugging on the collapsed staff again, pulling Alec closer. He grinned when Alec's cheeks tinted pink. There would come a time when Alec would eventually stop blushing in Adrian's presence, but he wasn't worried. That just meant Adrian had to get more creative.

"Izzy asked if she could do it," he explained, shrugging his shoulders. "Said she was bored." Quickly, Adrian pecked Alec on the mouth before stepping away, taking the staff with him. He wanted to kiss Alec longer, but Magnus was waiting, and he learned a long time ago it wasn't a good idea to make the High Warlock of Brooklyn wait. He turned back toward his duffel and stuffed his collapsed staff into it, zipping it shut again and breathing a sigh of relief. As he pulled the strap over his shoulder, he said, "Out of curiosity, has Maryse talked to you?" He turned back to see Alec frowning.

"Like, the kind of talk she has to pull me away privately for?" When Adrian nodded, Alec shook his head. "No, why?" Adrian hesitated, shifting his bag on his shoulder and averting his gaze. He wasn't sure if he should bring it up, but then decided Alec should be prepared, just in case Maryse cornered him in Idris.

"Well, when we walked in yesterday, she saw us holding hands." Adrian forced himself to sound casual, forced himself to shrug, even as Alec's face paled. "Didn't think she'd just ignore that, you know?"

"Do you think she knows?" Alec asked, shifting on his feet. He had drawn in on himself again, shoulders tense. Adrian let his bag drop to the floor and immediately went to him, squeezing his arm but not doing anything else.

"I don't know," Adrian admitted. "Maybe she suspects, but..." Alec seemed to go even paler, drawing in on himself even more. He looked like he was going to be sick. Adrian took his hands and squeezed again, making Alec release a low breath and relax a little bit. "Alec, it'll be fine. They won't hate you for this." Alec's eyes came up to meet his.

"How do you know?" he asked, voice nothing more than a whisper. Adrian brought Alec's hands up until they were palm to palm, linking their fingers together.

"Because they don't hate me." Adrian's voice had become just as quiet. He thought for a moment, eyes on their linked fingers, before he let out a soft sigh. "Well, Maryse doesn't hate me." That didn't seem to make Alec feel any better. His mouth twisted, and he went as if to pull away. Adrian tightened his grip. "Like I said, it'll be fine. They might be...disappointed, but they won't hate you." It was the most they could ask for, in their world, in the close-minded society they had grown up in. Alec knew that, but he still seemed down anyway. Adrian didn't tighten his grip this time, letting him pull their hands apart. He crossed his arms over his chest when the silence lasted longer than a few seconds.

"Hey." Alec didn't say anything in response, just continued to stare at the floor as he thought over what Adrian had said, so Adrian took his chin in his hand and tilted his head back up. "Hey, no moping, Alexander. I don't kiss people who mope." Alec's nose wrinkled the same way it had when he heard of Jace's date idea. He pulled his chin free, but thankfully didn't continue moping. He was smiling now, in a knowing way that made Adrian bite back his own smile.

"You'd kiss me anyway," Alec responded. Adrian's eyebrows went up in surprise, and then he settled his hands on his hips.

"Is that a challenge?" he demanded, watching as Alec simply smiled some more, not responding. "Because I'll have you know, I'm excellent at challenges and—" Alec, with a shake of his head, caught Adrian's arm and pulled him closer, kissing him before he could finish his sentence. Adrian couldn't even remember what he had been planning on saying. He still wasn't used to kissing Alec, and he didn't think he'd ever would be. Alec was a fast learner, and he seemed to pick up what Adrian liked without Adrian even having to tell him. It wasn't hard to do. They had known each other for so long that it was easy. Adrian liked when Alec put one hand on his waist and another on his jaw, and Alec liked when Adrian's fingers slipped into his hair. By the time Alec had pulled away, Adrian was flushed, his thoughts a mess of words that didn't really make sense.

"What were you saying?" Alec asked, smile almost cocky as he stepped further away, toward the door. Adrian stared at him for a long time, eyes narrowing when he realized Jace had rubbed off on him in more ways than just dry humor and sarcasm.

"You cocky bastard," he murmured, making Alec laugh, his blue eyes glittering. "I'll get you back for that, Alexander." Alec laughed again, turning to leave the room as Adrian bent to retrieve his bag. He was already down the hall by the time Adrian had straightened.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

An hour later, Adrian stopped waiting in the overgrown garden behind the Institute and ventured back inside. Magnus had already sent all their luggage, and now he was starting to get cranky. They were still waiting for Clary, and the longer they had to wait, the more Adrian had glared accusingly at Jace, who avoided his gaze. He wanted to point out to everyone that Clary wouldn't be late for this, since she wanted to come so badly, but each time he opened his mouth, Jace's concerns from the night before came back to his mind. Eventually, he escaped to the kitchen, where he found Alec. He was pouring a cup of coffee. He glanced up when Adrian entered, looking relieved for a split second before he saw the annoyed look on Adrian's face. He sighed, shoulders slumping.

"Still no Clary?" Alec asked as he dropped two sugar cubes in the mug and stirred some vanilla creamer into it.

"Nope." Adrian came forward and jumped up onto the island counter, smiling as Alec took a sip of the coffee. Alec sighed heavily, frowning.

"It doesn't make sense," he started, and Adrian leaned back on his hands, tilting his head as he listened. "Jace said she wouldn't stop talking about it, said she was excited about waking her mother up. Why the hell wouldn't she show up?" Adrian hummed.

"Jace probably told her the wrong time," he said casually, bringing his foot up to the counter when he noticed the laces to his boot had come undone. As he laced them back up, he could feel Alec staring at him.

"Why would he do that?" Alec asked. Adrian shot him a disbelieving look.

"Do you really not know the answer to that question?" Alec brought the mug up to his mouth to avoid responding. They sat in silence for a few moments, Alec thinking, Adrian looking at him. He reached out to fix Alec's hair, running his fingers through it to push it back, away from his face. He always used to hide behind his hair, always kept it messy, like he was trying to make himself seem less attractive. Adrian didn't want him to hide anymore. Alec didn't even falter as Adrian fixed his hair, just stepped closer so he didn't have to lean so far. This wasn't the first time Adrian had fiddled with his hair and clothing. He'd been doing it for years. Not just for Alec, but for everyone. Isabelle had the same habit.

"If she doesn't show up soon, we're going to have to leave without her," Alec pointed out, making Adrian frown. He dropped his hands and let them settle in his lap. Alec didn't shake his hair out, didn't look in the nearest reflective surface to see how he looked. He knew Adrian wouldn't have stopped unless it looked good. Instead, his eyes went to the phone lying on the island counter. "Maybe I should call her..." Adrian grinned when Alec said those words.

"Even though I think it's a dick move," he said slowly, "I think Jace is right." Alec frowned at him, looking at him in a way that made Adrian think he had sprouted two heads. Adrian raised his hands to tell Alec to wait, to let him explain himself before he started lecturing. "If the Clave finds out about her powers..."

"They'll put her in the front lines," Alec finished, suddenly looking sick. He stared down at his coffee. He probably no longer had the stomach for it.

"And experiment on her," Adrian added. Alec looked like he was going to throw up just thinking about it, so he set the mug of coffee on the counter. Adrian took it instead, taking a drink. Alec stared at the phone on the counter for a long time, then groaned and ran his hand through his hair, making Adrian give an irritated sound. As Alec got closer to him so that Adrian could fix his hair again, he spoke.

"I don't like doing this." Adrian didn't have to fix much, so when he was done, he simply looked down at Alec, hands falling to his shoulders. "We all know she'll figure out a way to get there eventually. She's stubborn as hell, and I find it both admiring and annoying. All of this lying will be for nothing and she'll just be furious with all of us on top of it all." Adrian grimaced in agreement, then grinned again.

"Awe, you're worried she'll be mad at you." His hands slipped to Alec's neck. "You finally admitting she's a friend?" Alec was silent for a long time.

"Maybe," he mumbled, grudgingly, before he pulled out of reaching distance and waved his hand at the mug Adrian had sat back down on the counter. "You can have that." Adrian laughed.

"You only took two drinks out of it. Did you make it for me and then get embarrassed about it?" Alec frowned, opening his mouth to argue, but Adrian added, "You like hazelnut creamer, Alec. I'm the one who likes vanilla." Alec blushed to the tips of his ears, ducking his head. Adrian laughed and jumped off the counter, taking the mug and going to Alec. "So you're telling me you can be all confident when you're kissing me, but being sweet and making me coffee is just too much for you?" Alec mumbled something unintelligible before he nudged Adrian with his shoulder. Adrian rolled his eyes and pressed a kiss to Alec's cheek. "Thank you, you adorable mess."

"You looked annoyed!" Alec said as he followed Adrian out of the kitchen and down the hall, back to where everyone was still waiting in the garden. "Coffee always relaxes you."

"A man after my own heart," Adrian said, smiling when Alec fell silent. He hadn't meant to embarrass him at first, but teasing him was just too much fun.

"Is this your payback for earlier?" Alec asked as they walked across the tall grass. Adrian was pretty sure something was living in the overgrown grass behind the Institute, but everyone else had called him ridiculous. Adrian was looking at where he was placing his feet, making sure he didn't step on a snake or an ant hill when he responded.

"When I get back at you for that, you'll know it." Alec didn't respond, which was just as well. They were in hearing distance of Maryse and Isabelle. Max was by the wall, looking up at Magnus with wide eyes as the warlock leaned against the wall. Eventually, Magnus crouched down and started speaking to him, and Max's excited voice responded immediately. Adrian smiled at them before he looked at Maryse.

"Can we just go?" he asked, motioning toward the spot where Magnus had opened a Portal before. "I want to get settled in before I explore the city. I heard they rebuilt the fountain in the main square." Maryse sighed heavily, but nodded anyway.

"I suppose if she hasn't shown up by now, then she won't." She looked beyond irritated, but underneath that there was something else. She looked nervous, fingers reaching to twist her wedding ring around her finger, only for her to stop and release a tired sigh. Adrian looked down, blinking in surprise when he saw that her wedding ring was gone. He glanced up at her in shock, but bit his tongue. Most Shadowhunters didn't bother with wedding rings, since they had wedding runes, but Maryse and Robert had apparently liked the mundane idea. Adrian had always thought it was sweet. Now that he noticed she was no longer wearing it, he felt dread seep into his stomach.

"Are you okay?" he whispered to her, frowning in concern. Maryse stopped, looking surprised by his question, before she let out a slow sigh and smiled at him. She placed a hand on his cheek, only for a moment, but Adrian still felt touched at how loving the gesture felt.

"I'm fine, Adrian," she reassured. "I'm just stressed. And worried. With Valentine back, old feelings will arise, and considering the city is going to be crowded...I just don't want any of you to suffer for our mistakes."

"We can take care of ourselves. And for what it's worth, I'll definitely use being the Consul's son to my advantage if anyone messes with us. You know, if us kicking their asses doesn't work." Maryse laughed.

"Don't hurt anyone too badly—"

She cut off, frowning. Adrian had heard it too, a sort of shuffling in the grass on the other side of the garden. The sun was starting to set. Alec and Isabelle, who had been talking nearby, both turned in the same direction. The woman who had claimed to know how to help Jocelyn, Madeleine Bellefleur, was frowning at the four of them, confused. Meanwhile, Magnus had moved to the spot where he had made the Portal, mumbling something under his breath. Madeleine had been off the field for so long that she didn't know what she was doing anymore, so she grew nervous when Maryse, Isabelle, Alec, and Adrian all spread out. The daggers twisted around Adrian's fingers, while Isabelle's whip slowly uncoiled from her wrist. They all stared across the large backyard. There didn't seem to be anything, which was weird. The sound had come from that direction, loud and clear, like whatever had caused it had wanted to get their attention.

The four of them realized it too late, and by the time they had twisted to face the opposite direction, Forsaken were already on them, slashing with sharp swords they probably didn't even know how to use. They were clumsy, eyes empty, skin dead and falling off their bodies. Adrian gagged and dodged a sword swung clumsily at him. It slashed his upper arm, cutting through the thin long-sleeved shirt and staining the sleeve a bright red. Adrian dodged the next one and plunged his dagger into it's eye, watching it fall to the ground. Magnus was shouting at them, telling them to jump into the Portal. Adrian dodged through all the chaos. There were dozens of the Forsaken. It was like they had come out of nowhere, had dropped from the sky. Maybe they had just jumped over the brick walls surrounding their backyard. Maryse had grabbed Max, but she was waiting at the Portal, for her kids. Isabelle and Alec reached her first. Isabelle was supporting Alec, who had a hand to his stomach. His seraph blade was gone, and Isabelle's whip was trailing behind her, covered in blood that looked black. Jace was fighting, so Adrian ran for the Portal.

Maryse shoved Max into his arms, then shouted for Jace. Adrian didn't hear her words. He just dropped the daggers, held Max, and jumped through the Portal, thinking of the Gard at the last second. His stomach fell out beneath him, and for a split second, he wasn't self-aware. And then he landed in a heap on the floor, Max falling hard on top of him. Adrian immediately checked over Max for injuries, asking him if he was alright. Max ignored him and hurried to Alec, who was already on his feet. The cut on his stomach had been shallow, easily healed, but his eyes widened when he saw Adrian's bloody sleeve.

"Adrian—"

"I need an iratze, Alec," he said. Alec shook his head and used the slit in Adrian's sleeve to yank the fabric, ripping the sleeve off so that he could get directly to the cut. He used the sleeve to wipe the blood away, and then Isabelle was there, drawing an iratze. Adrian sighed in relief when the pain lessened, the cut sealing shut. Isabelle hugged him around the waist right after he did.

"Where did they come from?" she demanded as she pulled away. Before anyone could respond—though none of them had any answers—Maryse was falling through the Portal, and behind her was Jace. He was holding a body. At first, Adrian thought it was Madeleine, but then he saw the converse shoes, superhero shirt, and jeans and his eyes widened.

"Simon?"

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

edited: 11.5.19

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.1K 1.1K 97
A Mortal instruments fanfiction. Sequel to 'Reflections of night'. Nyx stiffled a gasp. "Oh my god, I think I broke you." Nyx may think she's done wi...
251K 4.6K 39
{Alec Lightwood x OFC} {Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments} {Season 1} {Book 1 of 4} {2021}
17.1K 558 18
When his sister has fallen ill Alec seeks help from the high warlock of Brooklyn. He would do anything to save Isabelle so he makes a deal. But is th...
467K 14.6K 191
COMPLETED Fluff, Heartache, Happenies, Cute Flirting