Death Angel

By MichaelLimjoco

An original and unique Paranormal Romance Mystery that will leave you on the edge of your seat and guessing u... More

Chapter 1: The Fall
A Note from the Author
Chapter 2: The Choice
Chapter 3: Training Day
Chapter 4: The Debut (Part 1)
Chapter 5: Daniel
Chapter 6: Shinigami
Chapter 7: Rekindled Fire
Chapter 8: Hedgehog's Dilemma
Chapter 9: Escape
Chapter 10: Epic Battle
Chapter 11: Hot Date
Chapter 12: Hell Hole (Part 1)
Chapter 12: Hell Hole (Part 2)
Chapter 13: The Brood
Chapter 14: Hot Bath
Chapter 15: The Plot Thickens
Chapter 16: Answers
Chapter 17: Van Dyke
Chapter 18: Astrid
Chapter 19: The Setup
Chapter 20: Dueling Hearts
Chapter 21: It All Goes Down
Chapter 22: Things get Interesting
Chapter 23: Things Get Worse
Chapter 24: Donovan Hunter
Chapter 25: Science versus The Supernatural
Chapter 26: Sticky Situation
Chapter 27: Aerial Battle
Chapter 28: Null and Void
Chapter 29: Sword-Arm
Chapter 30: That which cuts deepest
Chapter 31: The Darkness
Chapter 32: The Test
Chapter 33: The Chosen's chosen
Chapter 34: Bionic Commando
Chapter 34: Vampires versus Robot Knight
Chapter 35: Kill Switch
Chapter 36: Titan Assault
Chapter 37: Daniel's Turn
Chapter 38: The Death Angel
A neat experiment!
Death Angel: Howl of the Wolf Knight
Death Angel: Shadow Hunter

Chapter 4: The Debut (Part 2)

48.3K 1.9K 246
By MichaelLimjoco

Small author's note to those who have been following this closely. I have decided on Daniel's last name: Ashcroft. :D

---

The party was in full swing by the time we stepped into it. A jazz band had set themselves up in the foyer, ready to greet incoming guests. They played the classics of course, New Orleans staples: the Second Line, the music of Louis Armstrong and King Oliver mingling with the lively music of Dixieland. I grew up on Chicago Big Band Music. This was different. Infused with a vitality that bordered on the primal. The roar of the brass instruments brought an energy to the gathering that I had never felt in all my years.

Perhaps being dead taught one to appreciate the finer things in life. I had opted for Merlot, though the Pinot Noir was inviting. There were eight kinds of reds offered up by the gracious bar. The Chianti looked inviting, smooth and sensual, and yet Merlot seemed oddly comforting for me. It was back to the basics for poor old Vanessa Hunter, it seemed.

It was so strange being back in my element and yet not at all. I kept taking sidelong glances at my newest accomplice. Of course, Death was the ultimate gentleman. Knowledgeable in thousands of topics and able to call them up at will. Anything from the history of germanic princes to the price-fixing of sugar in South Florida. He would speak of emerging markets just as readily as he would of the plight of the middle class. Money of course, was a crass topic in any conversation; no one dared bring that up.

“Supply and demand dictates that the market at this time is poised for a massive run-up,” Death said in the most charming and elegant manner. “Destabilization from around the globe compounded with the interests of Chinese companies and the weakness in the Eurozone will all contribute to the perfect storm.” He was awfully persuasive when he wanted to be.

“The Chinese speculate, the Europeans cower, and we Americans bet it all on a single roll of dice, and we should because there is no better time to jump in,” he continued.

“A rather nice touch don’t you think,” I whispered, as Death completed what he wanted to say. “Rile these investors up or freak them out and reap the profits in either case. Knowing what happens well before anyone else is a wonderful gift,” I added.

Death smiled. “For all of my theatrics, cherie, I am rather simple. I bring the universe into order.”

“Well, you just keep on doing what you do best,” I said. I had drained the last of the Merlot and it had done nothing  to slake my thirst. I whispered something in Death’s ear to excuse myself just then and he nodded, understanding completely.

I headed for the bar, intent on finding something that would comfort me. Wasn’t any drug something that would help me? I asked myself. And yet, the key to this was the drug. The beautiful mansion had several bars situated throughout, but the residents always knew where the patrons would go to find the good stuff.

There were more crowds beyond the massive hallway that housed the dining room, with its long oak table lined with rows of armored knights - an oddity, certainly not something one would expect to see in a New Orleans home.

I found the “good” bar, positioned between the main foyer and the dining room. There wasn’t much of a line so I decided to step in. One of the wait staff passed me carrying Hors d'oeuvres. I helped myself to the Bruschetta and walked to the bar.

“May I help you, ma’am?” a polite bartender asked.

“I’d like something a little stiffer than a glass of wine,” I said, smiling at him.

The waiter smiled. “We have Vodka,” he said, “I can make you a dry martini, or if you wish for something sweeter, I can add a dash of apple liqueur.”

“How about Cognac?” A voice said beside me with a thick accent.

I turned around and saw a petite asian lady about my age standing next to me. She was fiercely beautiful, with long black hair that went straight down, not a single curl or tangle. She dressed impeccably too, in an elegant black dress, with a plunging neckline and a wide open back. It was figure-hugging; the dress certainly would have given me second thoughts. Not only did she wear it well, but she wore it with an air that demanded no apologies. She completed the outfit with a brash and showy diamond necklace and Manolo Blahniks with impossibly high heels. This lady redefined the term ‘dressed to the nines’. This was no wilting flower, no cherry blossom before the first day of spring. She very confidently positioned herself next to me and winked.

“It is less calories, sweet in itself and unlike whiskey, it is made of grapes,” she said in her thick accent. I recognized it as Japanese.

I smiled. “Cognac it is,” I told the waiter. “For myself and,” I turned to the lady.

“Rina,” she said in her thick accent. “Rina Tanaka.” She bowed to me.

“What brings you here, Rina?” I asked. There was something oddly mysterious about her. I wasn’t entirely at ease with this person. Her dark eyes bored into mine like gimlets. There was something very intense, poised and powerful about her. She had her aura, yes, but it was something more than that. Intensity, I could handle. I certainly had more than my fair share of intense personalities when I was chair of Hunter Robotics. I couldn’t help but feel there was more to this young lady than met the eye.

“I am a guest, a potential investor in the man who owns this home,” she said with a smile.

“Pardon my asking but you look rather young to be an emissary for such a purpose.”

She laughed heartily and turned fully toward me. “I am Goro Tanaka’s daughter. My family owns Tanaka Pharmaceutical.”

I froze. No wonder she looked vaguely familiar. The name should have jogged my memory. I was getting sloppy.

From Tokyo to Osaka to Munich and the Netherlands, Tanaka had interests in urology, immunology and oncology to name a few. My father had trained me well. I could call upon these facts at a moment’s notice. Tanaka was the largest competitor to Ashcroft Pharmaceutical; firms whose R&D interests were in conflict with each other.

Ashcroft.

Daniel.

My heart pounded as I realized there was an opportunity to see Daniel then and there. Wherever Tanaka went, Ashcroft went too.

Ashcroft wasn’t always the follower. Tanaka had always been a close second, but a series of carefully planned acquisitions in the last three years had put them in the leadership position. Goro Tanaka was as sly as he was ruthless. But there was none more ruthless than his first-born: a woman who defied Japanese custom. She was a woman, and a warrior. A person who flew in the face of everything the Japanese knew about a man and a woman’s place in society. A person who lived by the code of the Samurai: Honor tempered by Ruthlessness. Indeed, there were some who feared Rina Tanaka more than they did her father.

“In my country, it is customary for one to introduce themselves after the other party has done so,” Rina was saying.

I snapped myself back into it. “I, I’m sorry,” I said. She had caught me off-guard.

“Please, allow me to do the honors,” Death showed up rather conveniently next to me.

“This is Haley Wellington. I am managing her family trust fund. I am forbidden to speak of it if nothing more than to say that her family’s interests, are rather sizable.”

Rina Tanaka smiled. “Richard Grim. It is a pleasure as always.” Rina moved closer to me and shook my hand. “Do you have any insights for me on the current market?”

“Tech is on the rise,” said Death, “though I am sure you are aware of it. Investing in technology, particularly technology that furthers the human race would be worth looking into,” he said with a smile.

Rina smiled. “Of course. Anything in particular?”

“How about,” Death breathed in deep. “Hunter Robotics? The firm has always been consistent, barely any missteps in the last five years, though leadership has been thrown into turmoil following the death of it’s Chair.”

I looked at Death sharply as if to say, “What the hell are you doing?”

Death winked at me and continued. “The stock is sharply down in trading, but it won’t last long. They will install a new Chair soon and remove the Market’s doubts.”

“What makes you think Tanaka would have interests in a Robotics firm?” Rina asked insistently.

“Because Robotics furthers the cause of the Human Race,” Death concluded. “Fail to understand the role that technology plays in man’s future and you cede your leadership position. Gaining a controlling interest at this time, could prove to be pivotal for the right organization.”

“You have balls, Richard Grim.” Rina Tanaka smiled as she said it.

“It was nice meeting you, Haley Wellington,” Rina Tanaka decided this conversation was over. “I hope you enjoy your Cognac.”

I smiled, amused at the name Death had chosen, but infuriated he had brought my father’s, no, my company into the conversation.

Rina smiled at me. There was something in her eyes I couldn’t quite place, but it made me very uneasy.

“I have taken up too much of your time,” Rina said again in her thick Japanese accent. “Yoru o tanoshimu,” she said to both of us bowing.

“Dōyō ni,” I said, smiling back at her.

“You speak Japanese,” Rina said, smiled again, without once taking her eyes off me. “You are a most interesting character, Haley Wellington. We shall cross paths again in the near future.” Rina walked slowly away from us to mingle with another group of people.

“That was creepy.” I whispered to Death.

Death winked at me and there was the oddest twinkle in his dark eyes.

“What?” I asked.

He shook his head and smiled. “Oh, nothing.”

“What was that about a suggested takeover of my beloved company, Richard?” I asked.

“It isn’t your company anymore, Haley. I’m doing you a favor. You’ll find out soon enough,” said Death.

Death gracefully placed a hand behind me and whispered in my ear. “Allow me to direct your attention to ten o'clock,” he said

I looked and almost fainted.

I spotted a man standing just twenty feet away from me, speaking to an older gentleman. I would recognize those good looks anywhere. Deep blue eyes, chiseled jawline. Dark, short, wavy hair.

It was Daniel Ashcroft.

---

Dear readers, please don't stay silent! I want to know if this story is going where you want it to go! Now's the chance to make yourselves heard. Do you like the direction of the current story? Should I change it? If I change it, where should it head?

Oh and more more thing - what does everyone think of Death Angel's new cover? :) Better? Worse?

Vote? Comment? Vote AND Comment? :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

436 83 28
This story is not getting the attention it deserves, so I am attempting to "re-brand" it. Maybe no one "gets" it. If you want to read about "Normal"...
13K 673 32
Since Analiese's mother died she's been tossed around like baggage, wondering why her life has to be this way. The day she was pulled away from her m...
I R E N E By ~

Mystery / Thriller

2.2K 1.1K 17
A GATEAU ORIGINAL I R E N E **** when an emotionally unstable human finds himself tumultuously falling in love, with her, the owner of the voice in...
96.3K 9K 40
Rania Algafari never asked to be different, and when she escaped the war in Syria and moved to the UK, her only goal was to live her life in peace. G...