The Wizard's Queen

Por emmymaereads

After facing off with Michael Noble, the young Blackwell's wizards are left tattered and defeated scattered a... Mais

Part 1-Devil's Advocate
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Part 2-The Wizard's Queen
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 9

125 18 3
Por emmymaereads

Nikkolai smirked as he observed both younger and older Anna and their almost identical movements as they reapplied sunscreen to themselves. Younger Anna frowned as she struggled to reach her back, twisting at odd angles trying to reach every inch of skin on her back to protect her fair skin from the sun's harsh rays. Devan swooped in to her rescue, practically shoving Ryder out of the way to come to her aid.

"Here, let me," Devan smiled.

He reached around, leaning in close to Anna as he took the sunscreen bottle out of her hands, squirting the white liquid onto his hands. Younger Anna's cheeks reddened as he slowly massaged the sunscreen into her shoulders. She glanced over to the boys playing, suddenly remembering they needed sunscreen too.

"Luke, you need to reapply sunscreen!" She screamed.

Luke stuck his tongue out at his sister as he continued playing in the sand with young Nikki and Derek. They were in the process of constructing a rather impressive sand castle that now stood at three feet in height. Most of the day, they had been working on this masterpiece, determined to build the biggest sandcastle ever.

"Boys, listen to Anna and come here!" Ryder ordered.

The three boys came running over to get more sunscreen. They always listened to Ryder over their own siblings. Older Anna frowned as she continued to struggle to reach the spot on her back turning to Kenny and Nikkolai, silently pleading for help.

"Don't expect me to rub sunscreen on your back. My hands will only touch Riley's bare skin." Kenny mumbled as he flipped through a book he had conjured detailing ancient wards and spells long forgotten that he found enjoyable to read as he translated the Old Gaelic tongue.

"Really, Kenny? You are reading a book instead of keeping watch?" Nikkolai sighed.

"According to the clock, we have about an hour before the incident occurs. Until then, I am going to enjoy my book," Kenny snapped.

Nikkolai rolled his eyes as he assisted Anna with her sunscreen feeling awkward touching her skin. She was beautiful, but he still saw her like Luke's older sister and his older brother's crush. Plus, she could be terrifying when she wanted to be.

Nikkolai, stop blushing. Is it really that awkward to touch me? You are just applying sunscreen you stupid child.

"Shutup, Anna," Nicholai snapped. He stormed back to his chair, falling back into a sitting position with his upper lip stuck out and arms crossed as he glared at Anna.

"Anna is right, you really are acting like a child," Kenny smirked as he turned a page in his book, never lifting his eyes from the pages.

"At least I wasn't afraid to touch her!" Nikkolai snapped.

"I am not afraid to touch her, I just don't believe in rubbing lotion on the back of someone who isn't my girlfriend," Kenny muttered, his voice trailing off as a passage in the book caught his eyes.

Anna's eyes darted over to Kas who was walking away from the past versions of themselves and back towards the beach home. She completely forgot about the arguing boys, her attention completely on Kas as she slipped on her bathing suit coverup, standing up to follow Kas. This was the time to act. She had to get him to drink the potion in order to keep him from dying.

"Anna, where are you going?" Nikkolai questioned.

Kas is heading to the house. Now is the time to give him the potion.

"Let me come too!" Nikkolai cried jumping up. Kenny tugged the boy back down shaking his head.

"No, stay here. He would be more likely to trust Anna if she is alone without your ugly face interfering," he snapped.

"You really are an ass," Nikkolai retorted as he shot the blonde man a glare.

Kenny rolled his eyes as he went back to reading his book. Anna left the arguing boys, hoping they wouldn't kill each other in her absence as she followed Kas. She sighed, as she stood outside the entrance of her family beach home trying to work up the courage to enter.

In order for the mission to be successful, she had to face her past as she mustered the courage to burst into the house. The memories came flashing back into her mind of all the family vacations to this place with her friends and family and the wild parties she threw as a teen there with Devan and Ryder.

Luke's action figures were strewn out around the floor, her mom's half empty coffee cup sitting on the bar countertop. She smiled as her hands traced along a family photo of her, Luke, mom, and father. Luke was making a silly face at the camera at the age of four while Anna, eleven was giving him devil horns. Her father was screaming at them to behave while her mom was hiding her giggles behind her hand. She missed those days, before her father became insane for his hunt for power.

Anna jumped at the feeling of someone watching her. She whirled around at the sound of her name as Kas stood their confused at the older version of herself dreamily staring at the pictures in the living room.

"Anna, why do you look like that?"

She smiled, tears welling in her eyes as she set the photo down, slowly walking closer, gripping both of his hands as she passed the potion to them, a sad look on her face.

"Anna, what is this?" Kas questioned opening up the contents of the potion to sniff.

"A resurrection potion?" He muttered wrinkling his nose at the potent odor. She sadly nodded, fighting back the tears as they streaked her cheeks, betraying her feelings.

"Anna, why are you crying?" He questioned.

He studied the seventeen year old girl before him examining how she had grown about a inch taller, her body finally filled out to the curves; her long black hair even longer in its loose fishtail braid ending mid torso. Her face had lost its baby fat, now mature behind eyes full of wisdom and pain. This wasn't his Anna. She was older, wiser, and been through so much turmoil.

"Are you really Anna?" He snapped as he lifted her hair, taking a sniff.

Did you just seriously sniff my hair, Kas? She smirked as his cheeks reddened in embarrassment.

"You smell like her, but how is this possible? Did you come from the future?" 

Anna solemnly nodded her head in agreement as her eyes welled with tears.

"What are you doing here, then?" He questioned, "why risk changing the past by revealing yourself to me?"

Anna's eyes drifted down to the potion as she fought back even more tears, squeezing his hand tighter as she trembled. Kas glanced down at the potion, studying the contents in his hands.

"Little Cat, I'm about to die; aren't I?"

Her loud sob confirmed his suspicions as she doubled over, trying to hold her pain back. She couldn't get the image of his lifeless body out of her head.

"Come here," he sighed as he pulled her into a hug, rubbing her back as she soaked his chest with her tears.

He took the potion with his other hand, unscrewing the contents and downing it without asking anymore questions. If she was risking traveling to the past to prevent his death, then he wouldn't fight it. Honestly, Kas didn't want to die. He was only sixteen; he wasn't ready to die, yet.

"Anna, couldn't you have slipped this in my drink while I was swimming or something?" He questioned.

She shook her head. She couldn't. She had to see him and let him know to ease his fear and let him know what her plans were. He really had died that day. For him to be resurrected, he would not be allowed to remain in the past, but would have to travel to the future with them. It was the only way to prevent a paradox.

The memory of his death resurfaced as she recalled the final moments before his death. He had come storming out of the house acting flustered and upset as he rushed up to Nikkolai, squeezing his younger brother into a hug much to the younger's distaste before swimming out to the water where Anna swam, stealing her first kiss. The kiss was what set Derek into action causing the attack and ultimately Kas's death. Kas sighed as he continued to comfort her, letting her sob realizing the truth behind her tears. He was about to die and he couldn't prevent it.

"How long do I have left?" He questioned.

Only a few minutes.

~~~~~

The younger Anna had finally decided to go out into the water, the summer heat finally getting to her. She was floating peacefully until Kas stormed in like a banshee, taking her by surprise, a wild and desperate look in his eyes sending chills down her spine. She slowly backed up confused at the sudden change in his attitude.

"Kas, what has gotten into you?" Anna asked.

He continued to come closer to her, a wicked grin on his face as she took steps back in the water, her cheeks red in embarrassment. She glanced over at the other boys, who were busy playing a game of catch in the ocean oblivious to Kas's sudden change of focus.

"Anna," Kas began as his voice dropped to a low and sultry tone as he slowly approached her, a wild gleam in his eyes, "I really want you to know how beautiful you are."

She gasped as he finally reached her, placing his hands on her waist, pulling her closer as he gazed into her eyes. Ryder glanced over, nudging Devan as he smirked at the couple.

"Look's like Kas beat you to the punch."

Devan frowned, glaring at the couple shaking his head in annoyance as he turned his back on the two going to exit the water and head back inside.

"I personally think he is a little old to be hitting on her," Devan grumbled.

"He's only three years older than her," Ryder called out as he followed his best friend inside.

They walked past the three boys who had used their magic to create a lifesize giant sand castle in the sand complete with a moat full of water swirling around and throne that Luke was currently sitting atop. Luke was in the process of naming Derek the court jester which the child happily obliged and Nicholai, his loyal knight which he begrudgingly accepted.

"Look Ryder, I'm the king because my last name's Noble!" Luke called out. "Do you like my castle?"

"Sure buddy, it really is amazing," Ryder mumbled.

Ryder's attention never left Devan's, wanting to make sure his best friend was ok. Derek frowned, stopping his goofing off act at the tension among Ryder and Devan, his eyes lifting to search for the other two teens. His eyes narrowed in on Kas leaning in to kiss a shocked Anna as she tried to push him back.

Anger consumed Derek as thunder began to crackle in the sky. He barreled through the sand walls around him, basically destroying the hard built sand castle much to Nikki and Luke's dismay. He ignored their shouts of protest as he dove into the ocean as his magic continued to build up in his rage.

"Get away from her!" He screamed, using the waves to shove them apart. Anna gasped at the seven year old's strength as the little tyrant let loose on his abilities.

"Derek, calm down, it was just a kiss," Kas warned as Derek locked eyes on him.

"Anna didn't seem to like it!" Derek snapped.

Anna blushed shaking her head. She was just taken by surprise, that was her first kiss and she really wished Devan had been the one to deliver it to her and not Kas.

"Derek, I order you to stop," Kas snarled.

Kas eyed the boy, continuing to push forward against the current, using his capabilities in mentalist magic to control him. He gasped as Derek effortlessly blocked his mind control, letting the water storm around him as the waves grew in size, rain pouring down overhead.

"Derek, calm down! You are going to hurt us!" Anna screamed.

Her eyes widened, noticing the glowing shell necklace around his neck for the first time. Somehow, it was enhancing his abilities, the dark magic radiating from the shell.

"I'm not going to hurt you, just him," Derek replied, a low snarl escaping his mouth.

"Derek!" Luke called out eyeing his friend facing off against Kas.

Derek ignored him, focusing all his energy on out powering Kas. Anna lunged for Derek, gasping as Kas was forced under by the water, struggling to resurface as it wrapped around his body, keeping him from escaping.

"Derek, DEREK STOP IT!" Anna cried, tugging on him to break his concentration.

He didn't budge an inch, a blank stare on his face, as he continued his deed. The other two boys were crying in the background, Ryder and Devan nowhere to be seen.

"LUKE, GO GET DEVAN!" She ordered. Luke nodded, rushing towards the beach house, tears streaming down his face at the sight of his friend losing control in his most explosive episode ever.

"Please, stop!" Anna screamed as she watch the life be taken from Kas.

"Anna, it has to be done," Derek stated in a monotonous voice, his gaze never leaving Kas.

Kas had stopped struggling against the water, lying still as his life slowly slipped away. The necklace still glowed across Derek's skin with the use of his powers. With one swift swoop, Anna yanked the necklace off of him, throwing it as far as she could towards the ocean.

Derek's eyes rolled in the back of his head as he fell face first into the water. Anna swam, struggling to keep the seven year old afloat. She also was trying to keep Kas from going back under, nothing but dead weight in her arms. His neck lolled to the side, not a breathe of air escaping his lips while water continued to slowly flow from his mouth form the leftover magic. She glanced up to see Devan and Ryder running from the house in terror as they saw the scene play out before them.

Devan came wading into the water, grabbing Kas and pushing him to shore, trying to revive him with CPR. Anna cradled the unconscious Derek in her arms as she leaned next to Devan, tears streaming down her face.

"I'm trying to reach our parents, but they aren't answering," Ryder gasped as he dialed countless numbers in his phone.

"SEND OUT A FUCKING SIGNAL!" Devan screamed as he frantically pumped Kas's chest.

Ryder nodded, lifting his wand throwing off a bright red flare in the air. A loud boom echoed through the sky alerting the surrounding Wizards of danger. A small crowd had already began to venture over in curiosity.

"Kas?" Anna cried as she glanced at Devan.

Devan stopped CPR, shaking his head as he sat back in defeat. Tears welled in his eyes as he glanced down at his trembling hands, shocked he wasn't able to save his friend.

"Why'd you stop? Save my brother!" Nikkolai wailed.

"Its no use, the magic killed him," Devan sighed. Anna let out a soaked sob causing Derek to stir in confusion.

"Anna, why are you crying?" He asked. He gasped as Devan grabbed him by the throat, yanking him from Anna's arms.

"Show some remorse you evil, vile creature!" He screamed. Derek's eyes began to well with tears as he looked at his big brother, completely clueless.

"Devan, its no use." Anna muttered, "He doesn't remember."

Devan dropped Derek right next to Kas's lifeless body. Derek gasped at how unnatural Kas looked laying there with his eyes closed, water trickling from the orifices of his body.

"Kas? Why is he asleep?" Derek questioned, his voice growing small and terrified at the murderous glint in his brother's eyes.

"You fool, he is dead. You killed him!" Devan snarled.

Derek whimpered, studying his hands in shock. He couldn't remember killing Kasim. No, they had to be mistaken. He was just playing with his friends. He glanced over to see the sand castle was missing a huge chunk out of the wall facing the ocean. Why couldn't he remember everything? He was innocent, he wasn't capable of murder. His magic must have taken over again, but he worked so hard to control his temper tantrums. He hadn't felt upset. He gasped, realizing he had blacked out in this latest episode. Maybe he was a murderer after all.

"Now go! I don't want to see your face ever again!" Devan screamed.

His brother forcefully shoved Derek forward, knocking the boy on his face. Derek gasped, jumping up and running as fast as he could away from everyone. He was going to leave and never come back. They wouldn't have to worry about him ever again if he just disappeared. Devan glanced over, his face softening at the sight of Anna, leaning over Kas as she sobbed, begging him to wakeup. He swooped down, scooping her up into his arms, pulling her into a hug as he rubbed her back, his whole body tense.

"Anna, I'm here," Devan sighed as he stared blankly ahead, "I'm here for you."

Ryder worriedly glanced at his friends his eyes drifting down to Kas's body laying next to them before taking a look to see the mysterious task force member and those other two people that had been watching them all day had disappeared from sight. A small crowd had begun to gather as other Wizards muttered pointing to the scene in front of them as they waited for the authorities to arrive.

Ryder had almost forgotten the boys were there too, as they quietly sobbed, just as shocked. He glanced around seeing Derek was nowhere to be found. He would worry about that child later, now he needed to get Luke and Nikkolai inside and away from the trauma. Anna and Devan weren't going to be much help; both were numb with shock. It was his job to step up, now being the oldest of them and take care of the children.

"Luke, Nikki come on, let's get you out of those wet clothes."

"But, my brother!" Nikkolai cried.

Luke grabbed his friend's hand, tugging him along. "Come on, Anna and Devan will stay with the body."

Ryder smiled down at Luke, taking his other hand to guide them inside. He was impressed at how mature and strong Luke was acting, despite the tears streaming down the seven year old's cheeks as he helped guide Nikkolai, providing the support he needed during his grief. Nikkolai nodded as he wiped the tears from his eyes.

Nikkolai paused, turning to face Anna and Devan, his next words filled with so much venom, anger radiating everywhere around him as he spat, "I will kill the little Tyrant."

~~~~~

Such an intense chapter.  Not the way you'd expect your first kiss to turn out! The song above is Remember We Die by Gemini Syndrome. I felt this song fit both Kas and Anna and their stories. 

So, what are your thoughts on this chapter? Share them below! Stay tuned for the next chapter as we return to the present and the after effects of Derek's attack on the hospital. 

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

1.3K 62 10
Y/n was a baby orphan found outside the kingdom walls no one knows how she got there. Only thing known is Morgana adored her the moment she laid eyes...
814 33 26
When Serena caven moves to a little town called blackwoods she soon discovers that she is half witch half human that her father was a warlock and th...
462 5 32
Margarette Harris became an orphan when her parents got died from the night where the dark lord Maurrius King made a rebellion against the wizards an...
288 36 23
Ivelle Preston had a perfectly normal life. She grew up in small English town, and she always wished she had a more adventurous life. Her wish came t...