Her Hunters

By KatelynMarii

One witch. Four mates. An e... More

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen

Her Hunters

34.5K 630 26
By KatelynMarii

Chapter One

I placed the book back on the shelf before turning to grab another off of the table. I had been working in the town library since early that morning and hadn’t had a chance to grab lunch yet. I blushed as my stomach growled and an older woman looked in my direction. “I’m sorry.” I said quietly, before quickly getting back to work. I sighed in relief as her gaze returned to the worn journal in her hands.

“Miss, I was wondering if you could help me find something?” I turned to the man that spoke, with a gentle smile on my face, appreciating the handsome face that matched the deep voice. His dark hair fell to his shoulders in a ragged cut, and his green eyes sparkled as the wandered.

Swallowing hard, I pushed a piece of hair behind my ear and looked down at my shoes. Looking back up at the man, I forced a tight, uncomfortable smile to my face. “What can I help you with?” I wanted to wince at the way my voice cracked.

“I am looking for a book that I was told I could find here. It’s a one of a kind and I need it for… research.” His green eyes darkened slightly as he shot me a dazzling, white smile. My heart pounded in my chest as I crossed my arms, letting my eyes roam across the wide expanse of his chest.

Clearing my throat, I blinked several times. “Um, you will have to be more specific. We have several unique books in our vault.” I shifted my weight under his gaze as he cocked an eyebrow in my direction. “I don’t even know if you would have access to it. What do you need the book for?”

“Like I said… research.” His voice sent goosebumps flying across my flesh and toward my core.

I squirmed and set another book on the shelf. “I need to know what this research is for. Those books are kept in the vault for a reason.” I flinched when his large hand wrapped around my wrist and held me there, but the tightness of his grip was not what drew forth the gasp that escaped my lips. “Of course.” His energy danced along my skin, and I had to fight myself from leaning into him.

“Miss, is he hurting you?” The older woman asked from the table a few feet away. I saw the concern in her eyes, but I just gave her a reassuring smile and shook my head. She pursed her lips. “Alright. I am watching you, mister.”

The man gave her a tight smile and pulled me further down the row of bookshelves, despite my protests. “Please. I need that book.” There was an urgency in his voice that I couldn’t deny, but I couldn’t just fork over the book either.

“Listen, wolf. I am not getting you anywhere near that book until you tell me why you need it.” I whispered harshly, pulling my wrist from his grasp. My skin tingled where his hand had been seconds before, but I pushed the thoughts from my head.

His green eyes darkened even further, telling more than his words had. He had been counting on me not knowing what he was. “How did you know that? Who are you?” I gave him my own smile.

“My name is Talia Nightraven.”

He growled and pushed me back into the shelves, a hand wrapped tightly around my throat. I gasped, surprised and aroused by his actions. “The town witch. It figures that they would have you in charge of the Book.” I could feel the energy of his wolf just underneath the skin and I found myself trying to summon it. What would it be like to face this man’s demons? I laughed to myself at the thought.

“Careful, now. I was not trying to hurt you, nor do I want to. I am just trying to protect the Book… Our secrets.” He seemed to calm slightly, and his grip relaxed. “Now, what do you need the book for? And under whose authority?”

I could see the urge to lie in his eyes, but he battled it down and stared into my eyes. “Have you met my father? Xavier Wolfbane? He is ill and the Book may have a spell or remedy that will cure him. My brothers and I were going to call a witch from a couple of towns over to perform whatever we found, but if you are truly a witch…” He shook his head and trailed off. “That isn’t important right now. I need to get into the vault and see if there is anything that can even save him.”

“I can tell you right now you will find a couple of options, but each one comes with a different price. Are you sure you want to pay the price of magic?” I knew that magic often ended in death, for one person or another. I was just curious to see just how far this wolf would go to save something he loved. “You will need to think long and hard about what life bringing magic may bring into your life. I…” I trailed off, knowing that I did not need to go on about my own sob story.

I watched as he mulled over what I just said. For a split second, I thought that he would back out and put his own life first. His eyes snapped back to mine and he gave me a reassuring smile. “I am sure that I want to do this. My father is the only parent I have left and I will do whatever I can to save him.” He paused, looking back down at his feet. “Well, I can at least try.”

“Alright. I will help you find what you are looking for.” I said, almost reluctantly. My heart thudded harder when he gave me a genuine smile that lit up his entire face. I turned away from him, facing the wall that held a hidden trigger. I looked around, noticing that the old woman had left and the library was now empty. “Stay here. I am going to go lock the door.” I made my way to the front of the library, pausing for only a moment. “I mean it. Do not move.”

* * * *

“You never told me your name.” I looked over my shoulder at the dark haired werewolf, before resuming my search for the Book. I stretched up on my toes as soon as I spotted the golden spin of the Book and grabbed it. I grunted and rubbed the cover of the book, closing my eyes as the magic reached up and caressed my fingers playfully.

He moved to stand next to me, staring down at the Book in my hands and swallowing hard. “My name is Gabriel Wolfbane. I am surprised that you didn’t figure it out already.” His hands reached for the book, but I stepped out of his reach. “What are you doing? Give me the book.” His voice deepened with frustration and he reached for it again.

“Slow down. It is spellbound. Only a witch can open it, or it will be destroyed.” I set the book on the table and placed my thumb against the glowing red gem in the center of the cover. “Another reason that the book is kept locked away.”

Gabriel seemed to accept this answer and grunted, crossing his arms over his chest as he watched me open the book. “Will you be here the entire time?” The suspicion in his voice was as clear as day, which made my nerves bubble up. “Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just-”

“I thought I would help you find the spells you are looking for, but I can leave if that would make you more comfortable.” I left the open book on the table and made my way toward one of the glass shelves.

Gabriel caught my wrist in his hand again, and pulled me toward him. “No. It’s alright. I would appreciate the help. I have just heard so many stories about witches preying on wolves for power.” His cheeks darkened slightly as he gave me a sheepish grin. “It’s a stupid fear, I know.” I let out a loud laugh and gently pulled out of his grasp.

“You don’t have to worry about me draining you of your power. I am quite harmless.” I moved back to the table and flipped a page of the book, aware that Gabriel was suddenly standing directly behind me. “Um, what are you doing?”

He stared at the book over my shoulder and furrowed his eyebrows as his eyes scanned the page. “Is it written in gibberish? Because that is all I am seeing.” I chuckled again and fanned through the pages, landing on the first healing spell.

“This here is a rather simple spell, if you can get the ingredients. Some wolfsbane, fairy blood, and a dragon scale.” I read, looking over my shoulder to see him frown slightly. I could tell just from that look alone that he didn’t have the means to acquire the ingredients. Sighing, I moved on. Flipping the pages, I quickly came across another option. “This one is easier, but almost forbidden except in dire situations.”

He let out a deep sigh and rubbed his temples, turning so that his back was facing met. “What does that spell include?” He sounded nervous, but hopeful.

“Blood magic.” I answered quietly, returning my gaze to the spellbook. “It requires the blood of the witch performing the spell, binding the witch and the recipient. For as long as the witch lives, the recipient lives, and vice versa.” It was a dreaded spell, but there had been times throughout history that such measurements had been taken.

Silence filled the vault, and I turned to look at Gabriel once again. He stared down at the floor with a pained expression. “Where could I find a witch willing to perform this spell?”

“You probably couldn’t. Most witches now are afraid of death. It doesn’t help that with each generation, we grow more mortal. One day, we will become human.” My body seemed to gravitate towards Gabriel and I soon found myself staring up into his eyes. What was it about those eyes?

He gripped my shoulders tightly, eyes widening suddenly. “What about you? Would you be willing to save my father? I can pay you. What is your price?”

“What? Why would you ask me that? I just told you that-”

“Would you let an innocent die? Just like that?” His grip tightened enough to make my shoulders ache. I struggled to pull away. “Please, Talia… name your price.”

The desperation in his voice had me considering it. Never before would I have given a second glance at that spell, but this man had me second guessing my own name. What was going on? Why was my heart racing? I swallowed hard and inhaled his scent, suddenly engulfed in it. I was going to do this. I was going to save this man’s father.

I hesitated, trying to block out the arousal that his touch coaxed forth. Doing this could very well result in my death, buy what else could I do? This man wanted to save his father, the same way that I had wanted to save my mother when she had been poisoned. Maybe this could be my atonement…

“I want to meet your father.” I whispered, eyes fluttering shut as he leaned closer. My heart raced and my palms began to sweat. Why was I reacting to him like this? It wasn’t like I didn’t have my fair share of admirers, so why Gabriel?

For a moment, I thought he was going to kiss me. To my relief, and dismay, he had only come in closer to whisper in my ear. “That’s all you want, Talia? You only want to meet the man you are going to save?” I smiled to myself, happy that I had put that hope in his voice.

“Yes. I am not cruel. If I had a chance to save my mother two years ago, I would have. Maybe this time, I can save someone else’s family.” Gabriel smiled against my ear and pressed a gentle kiss against my temple.

“Thank you.” He whispered, pulling away from me and smiling at me with tears in his eyes. “You have no idea how grateful I am.”

I smiled at him, feeling a bit shaky. “Well, considering that you practically attacked me when you found out I was a witch, I am not sure I should trust you. And you have made it clear that you don’t trust witches.” I watched as a flash of guilt passed over his face. Uncomfortable, I continued. “Is  tonight soon enough? I need to finish up here at the library and run home to feed my cat.” I blushed when he chuckled.

“Of course, you have a cat.” He remarked with a laugh, as if it were the funniest thing in the world. “I thought that was supposed to be a myth.” Gabriel reached out and stroked my cheek lazily, before suddenly snatching his hand away and grumbling to himself.

I smirked and shrugged, slamming the book shut and putting it back up on the shelf. I was faintly aware of how close the werewolf’s body was to mine. “It is. I just happen to like cats.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66K 5.8K 36
Being born into a family of the most powerful witches is something Isla felt she would never get used to. There was always something going on, but sh...
9.6K 197 20
Alice, a broken girl who has lost her last hope of ever being rescued by her mate. She has been living in a dungeon for 15 years. She lost family and...
18.8K 2.2K 70
Jace needs a Luna. Emma needs a way out of her cell. He makes her an offer she can't refuse: freedom for a union defying the natural order. But the p...
1.6K 312 34
Aria has been forced to open her eyes and grow up when her father as well as her best friend dies in a deadly attack. She inherits her father's role...