Blank Love

By Kaplan-Br

Avi and Alice were a happy, solid couple. The two-year marriage had just added the love and affection that on... More

Blank Love
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter 9

293 11 5
By Kaplan-Br

ALICE’s P.O.V

   I could no longer ignore the ringing phone.

  I was aware that I had already past the time to wake up, and I should have got up a long time ago, but laziness and sleep kept me glued in bed. Avi and I hadn’t had the best of the conversations the day before, and there was much to be absorbed, so sleeping was something very difficult. And it was being even more difficult in the last minutes, as the phone wouldn’t shut up.

  Still hesitating, I stretched myself on the bed, rolling from side to side and got rid of the blanket. My hair was a mess , and my eyes were swollen and lazy. Pulling myself up, I hurried to get to the door, staggering all the way and putting my hand over my ears that could not stand the shrill tone that the phone freed.

  I opened the door with extreme parsimony and took up my wrists, trying to block out the light that bothered my eyes, which hadn’t adjusted yet. Slowly, I walked into the room looking for the phone.

  Avi was literally thrown on the couch, completely clumsy and, as far as I could see, fainted. The blanket was on the floor and pillow just about to fall, the clothes thrown to the mat, and he was twisted, only in his underwear, with head fallen sideways, one leg hanging down and one hanging up. His mouth was open, showing how far he was from reality at that moment. I usually would laugh, but I couldn’t move any muscle in my face.

  Still impressed by the fact the agonizing ring hadn’t woke him up, I took the phone from the central table, still looking at him and taking the object to my ear.

- Hello? - my voice was still hoarse and lifeless.

- Alice? Honey? - the female voice on the line said, filling up with hope while waiting for a response.

- Yes?

- Oh my God, sweetie! Finally I heard your voice! Avriel won't let me talk to you for fear that I would scare you! That boy remains extremely jealous with what is his! - she laughed - How are you? - the lady said excitedly and I needed a moment for my morning mind work.

- I'm fine... um... excuse me, but who is this? - I put a hand on my waist and looked out the window, watching the day and thinking about how I should be delayed.

- Honey, it's me, your mother-in-law!

- My... - wait ... - Mrs. Kaplan? - I replied confused, widening my eyes a little as nervousness was being accumulating in my throat, unintentionally giving a false step to the right and knocking the TV control that was on the edge of the table, causing it to shatter on the floor and release a noise that made Avi moan and squirm. Of course, with that he wakes up!

- Oh, please do not call me that, hahaha! It's been so long since I’ve seen you! I'm really missing you, and I'm very worried about you! How is your memory? Is Avi taking good care of you? – the questions echoing in my head adding the worry about waking Avi, who now was stretching and preparing to open his eyes, hasn’t made me the most excited person in the world.

- Yes, he... he has been great... - I replied through gritted teeth while my husband was looking at my face, rubbing his eyes and looking confused. I covered the phone with my hand and leaned over, whispering nervously 'your mother is on the phone, oh my God,' and his once little eyes, grew instantly.

- That lazy is sleeping, right? - Avi's mother said dejectedly on the line, awakening me as he tried desperately to get rid of the couch, stumbling attempts to stand up and come to me.

- Well, he was... - at this point, Avi had his hands on the phone, whispering fearfully 'give me!' - Um, look Mrs. Kaplan, your son wants to talk to the Mrs., I mean, you, but it was a pleasure known.. I mean, talk to...

- Hey mom, good morning - Avi took the phone from me and said, scratching his neck, trying to get rid of morning spooky voice. I could hear from where I was, the cry across the line, berating him for taking the phone from me, and he walked in the opposite direction, ruffling his hair and rubbing his hand over his face nervously, chattering excuses to his mother. I laughed, taking the opportunity to disrupt the mess Avi left between my arms, tucking the blanket and laying it on the pillow, and taking the clothes in hand, carried to the laundry basket. I selected some shorts between clean clothing and leave it on the couch while he was distracted on the phone. Then, I returned to the dressing room to change.

  I chose a yellow shirt fabric, which exposed my arms and hid my neck in a delicate lace. With a light jeans and a coral sandal heels, I let the curls fall on my shoulders, thrown to the left and letting the fresh face with a nude makeup. With the silence coming from the room, I imagined that Avi had already hung up with his mother, and feared. Putting my phone and some belongings in my purse, I left the room, opening the door cautiously.

  My husband was in the kitchen with the shorts that I parted for him, scratching his head while looking for something in the fridge.

- Ali, do you know if we bought another... - he turned to me and stared at me for a second, when he saw that I was ready to leave. Frowning, he closed the refrigerator and kept staring.

- Frozen lasagna? Yes, it's in the left corner of the freezer - I said trying to hide the situation, which didn’t softened one bit to his feature. - Avi, I need to go. - I returned my gaze to the bag, avoiding eye contact.

- You're too tidy. - he said, dryly.

- If it'll make you feel better, I'll change - I consented, trying to ward off problems and turning to go to the room, not realizing that he was already beside me, taking me by the arm and turning to meet his eyes.

- I'll feel better if you don't go. - he said, looking deep into my eyes, still frowning, and I replied, stammering. For a moment, he loosened his grip on my wrist and slid his palms on my forearm, carrying in his look, a cry - Ali please don’t go. I trust you, I swear! But this guy... He wants to use you Alice, he will try something, it just doesn’t feels right, and he knows that I do not trust him and...

- Avi... - I put my finger on his lips and he fell silent, concentrating on me - I will resolve it without any fanfare. I promise to respect you and remember everything you said up to now from the moment I walk out that door. But now you have to understand that is a risk I need and I'll run to take back my professional success.

  He was silent for a moment, surveying me with pain, and slowly pulled me close to his body and pushed me into a hug. It was as if he was loosing me. Even thinking that it was all an exaggeration, I corresponded, stroking his back in an attempt to comfort him. After some quiet time, I pulled back, reminding me of the delay. I looked at Avi, still haggard, abandoning his arms and walking to the door without saying anything. Everything remained quiet until I touch the doorknob.

- Alice... - Avi whispered, drawing my attention, and I turned gradually to see him. He slowly raised his face, bringing it to my eyes and showing concern. All he did was move his lips without releasing any sound, asking ‘stay’.

  I cast anxious glances between him and my watch, thinking of all he had said and meditating on the importance of that lunch. There was nothing more to be said, and I was determined. I prefer to turn around, go through the door with my head down and leave without answers it... Avi need to understand my choice.

  I gave the taxi driver the instructions I received from Ethan to get to the restaurant, and then stayed quiet the whole way. I was extremely anxious, not just to get to my destination, but to get it over with and go home. I wanted to show Avi that I was fine, nothing happened, and that things had been resolved. Though I know Ethan more than him, I listened carefully to everything he said. Something had happened? I don’t think Avriel would invent any lie to distance myself because of jealous, and he mentioned that Ethan had tried to touch me... I was bothered by my thoughts, and increasingly ready to quit that lunch quickly. I had it all planned.

  It didn’t take too long and I was in the restaurant. The place was simple, casual and comfortable. Made with dark wood, it was crossed by huge windows that illuminated and brightened the environment, bringing serenity. I drove myself to the receptionist and he showed me the table that Ethan had booked, guiding me along the way and taking me to the place.

  Ethan stood up immediately when he saw me, his face lighting up with a smile, making me reciprocate inevitably. He wore a conserved jeans, striped polo shirt and a some sport shoes, beautiful as always. As I approached, he dismissed the employee, greeting me with a hug.

- Hey Ali! For a moment I thought you weren’t coming - he said as he hugged me.

- Sorry I'm late! I hope I haven’t made you wait too much - I said, as we sat down, and I put the phone on the table.

- There is no problem. - he kept smiling - How are things?

- Uh… everything... everything is fine - I forced a smile, reminding me of the recent problems. He seemed instigated.

- Really? How has it been living with a "stranger" in your home? - he asked laughing and I wrinkled my face. I felt extremely defensive about Avi, and as much as the intention apparently was not to offend, I didn’t like the comment.

- Avi is not a stranger, he is my husband. And we're not in my home, we are in our home. - I said a little too rigid - It has been great and he is extremely patient with me. It is the reason I haven’t freaked out yet.

  My answer seems to have left him uncomfortable and he shifted nervously in his chair, trying to start a speech of apology. I felt bad for having exaggerated so much, and tried to undo the bad impression.

- But at the beginning, it was pretty funny.... - I said, laughing a little. He looked at me for a moment and soon joined me, laughing with relief.

  We talked all the time about the company and our office. Time or another, he threw me leers and hit on me shamelessly and I felt uncomfortable. The conversation was going round and never came up where I wanted, and I judged not just be absurd to go to the point, since Ethan wasn’t only a colleague but an old friend.

- You think you can help me undo this retirement and put me back in business?

- Ali, Ali, Ali... it is not that simple, you know. Is complicated - he joked, looking at the table smiling, and then raising his head.

- No. I don’t know. Uncomplicated it. - I said coldly.

- To help you, I would end up prejudicing myself... - he rubbed his chin, taking some of the juice we ordered and staring at me. - Of course there is always a way to reward myself... - he said flirting, walking his fingers up my side of the table, being observed by me. He raised his eyes, meeting mine, and brought his hands to my knee, trying to slide them up my thigh when I interrupted him with an angry slap.

- Do not dare to disrespect me! - I shot back angrily, pulling away from the table and trying to keep calm not to raise my voice in public.

- Come on Alice! For the old times! - he smiled - Well.. not so old for you...

- I'm married. What happened between us is done a while ago!

- Ok then - he frowned - It seems that the situation will not change much... - he said, returning his hands to his lap.

- What do you mean by that? - I changed the feature.

- Alice, some time ago the company made you an offer... a proposal indecently good and gave you a month to think about it. - I listened carefully - They are opening a new branch with a great demand in the north. They wanted you to commanded it. - he said, staring at me blankly.

- What... what was my answer? - I said almost inaudibly.

- You refused. - he said, dryly. – Didn’t want to abandon Avi. - he gulped, and I naturally smiled, looking down, reminding me of my husband. He noted, cleared his throat and turned back - Maybe... I may have suggested to the company the retirement thing. But I’m tellin you AGAIN that there is always a way to recover what is lost, and I'm here to offer you that.

- Who will take my place? - I ignored him, furious.

  He smiled.

- Well then, in this moment, you have two options. - I said, and he looked confusing. - Undo my retirement. Give me back my job. Go to north and be successful.

- And what is the other option? - he continued to look at me, smirking.

  I got my phone from the table, pressed the 'replay', and his eyes widened when he heard 'Hey Ali! For a moment I thought you weren’t coming' and I pressed pause.

- Be sued for sexual harassment and lose your job. - I smiled. He leaned over the table indignantly, fuming.

- How dare you!

- Choose. - I cut him off. He thought for a moment, looking uneasily at the corners, resting his hand on his chin, and giving up.

- Okay, you can have your job back. - he said, avoiding looking at me.

- Great. - I rose - Because I quit. - I opened the wallet, and threw on the table the money needed to pay the bill for lunch. - Keep the change. - I turned, visualizing my way to the exit.

- What? Are you kidding? - he got up indignantly.

- I don’t want to have anything related to MG or with anyone there. - I pushed my chair, making room for passage. - And Ethan - he looked at me – don’t look for me anymore. - I said, picking up the phone, attracting his attention.

- Go - he sighed, looking down and sitting again.

- Thank you. - I said to him, getting his consent. I walked up content with my decisions on my way to the taxi, entering smiling and eager to get home.

  I really wanted to see Avi, but I remembered how I left a few hours ago when I went to meet Ethan. That was cruel... For a moment, I asked myself if he was upset with me. The doubt followed me until I opened the door.

- Hey... - I said timidly, spotting Avi, who was sitting at the counter eating bread with anything. Still chewing, he lifted his head to look at me.

- Hello - he said, without a clear expression.

  I left my purse on the table and went into the kitchen, filling a glass of water and turning to him, saying nothing. He stared at me back, but both remain silent for a few minutes.

- I’m so...

- I’m so...

  We stopped at the same time, looking at each other and laughed.

- Okay, I think we're both sorry - he said smiling, putting the bread in the dish, looking insecurely. - Can I ask how was it?

- Actually everything went very well. I could not ask for anything better. - I had a grin from ear to ear on my face .

- So... did you get your job back? - he stood up excitedly, looking at me surprised.

- I resigned. - I laughed.

  Avi dropped his chin and continued to stare at me extremely astonished. I walked slowly over to him, turning around the counter still with a smile on my face, and didn’t hesitate to reach out, touching his face and stroking his neck, which made him close his eyes and tilt his chin toward my hands, sighing.

- Don’t worry. It was my decision: I only want the best for us. - I looked in his eyes when he finally opened his, admired. Approaching slowly, he played with the hand that was on his face, stroking while leaning. I realized it wasn’t difficult to get lost in his eyes. Indeed, I felt increasingly more attracted and engaged. Avi was amazing and was easy to understand why I chose to go through life with him besides me. While my feelings were being awakened, I still wouldn’t take any hasty action because any involvement meant different things for both of us. All that went through my head as he approached. Intently, I strayed, pressing a kiss on the corner of his mouth.

- Revenge! - I laughed, pulling away as he looked at me disappointed. Soon he joined me, coming into the room and grabbing the TV remote. 

- Come on, I'll update you about the television world - he called, sitting on the couch and leaving space for me.

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79 1 17
Kate has the perfect life or so she thought. Then one day she awakes up with no memory and in a strange place. Will she be able to recover her memory...
5.9K 478 35
***I RECOMMEND YOU READ IRIKURI FIRST BUT YOU CAN READ THIS ON ITS OWN*** ---------------------------------------------------------- Nki and Ade hav...
74.5K 2K 34
What happens when you were forced to marry someone you didn't love, who had bullied you your whole school year? And yet you were too young to be marr...
Water Blaze By blueink

Science Fiction

362 43 14
"You are not fully human" "You can cause an explosion that can kill your loved ones." If words can wound a person, Aimaengel would be dripping blood...