The Wolves of Cain

By AbigailMartin467

*Book 1 of the City of Cain Trilogy* Cover made by @Silverless Lucas and Mason Hallow are 16 year old twin br... More

Citizens of Cain
Lunar Escape
The Blame Falls Amiss
Some Side Effects May Include...
A Sickening Healing Process
Loud Music and Sensitive Ears
Dizzy Times and a Shocking Crisis
Half Truths and Full On Lies
Unexplainable Occurrences
Anger Issues and a Single Discovery
The Casters
Questioning Quarrels
Golden Eyes
All in Your Head
Freeze Tag
Just Hanging Out
The Day After: Realizations
Confrontation
One and the Same Dream
The Search For a Stranger
Deception
The First Hunting Party
Packless
Spiteful and Sweet Goodbyes
Wolf Talk
The Lone Alpha
Situation Stalker
Under the Clouds
New Identity
Don't Let Others Do You A Solid
Practically Royalty
Incomprehensible Talks
It Doesn't Come Naturally
The Mysterious Brownie
The Reveal
Cares in Code
Finally, He Asks
Power Hungry
Fearless! Or Maybe Not...
Relationship Status
Sob Stories & Concocted Drinks
Do What You Have To
Protecting Makes Him Fierce
Wolf Puns
Hearts Can Lie
Shifting Memories
This Isn't You
In Your Wildest Dreams
Only For Family
Here For You
New Level of Weird
The Business Trip
The Night Shift
Hopeless Ones Who Fight On
Unwanted Savior
The Past is Past
The Newest Ability
Fake It Till You Make It
Overprotective of Opinions
Unsettling Reactions
The Other Side of Him
Causing Chaos
The Doctor Knows Best
The Emotional Ex-Wolf
How You Get The Girl
Running Forward and Looking Back
Sequel: The Secrets of Cain

Surprise!

159 15 8
By AbigailMartin467

Date: 3-23-17

Chapter 62: Surprise!

Ivie lays in bed thinking about her date last night with Adrian. They laughed and talked like Ivie always imagined a date would go.

There were only a few awkward moments, and Ivie wasn't sure if she was the only one who felt those.

Although not like Ivie imagined, Adrian hadn't tried to kiss her under the moonlight. Ivie had seen it enough in movies, so she assumed it was a given.

Instead, Adrian suprised Ivie by carrying her all the way home after their picnic.

There was no fear of Adrian dropping me when his muscular arms pulled me off of my feet.

The trees blurred around us as Adrian ran with his supernatural speed. The wind whipped at my hair, but I didn't mind, being tucked into Adrian's chest.

That was the best run of Ivie's life. And when Adrian dropped Ivie off at her house within minutes of starting the run, Ivie found herself wishing it wasn't over.

Adrian must've sensed this, because he grabbed Ivie's arm to pull her back when she went to go inside.

Ivie had turned back to Adrian with a question in her eyes. He had just said goodnight, after all.

Adrian just pulled Ivie into his arms and kissed her in reply. Their lips locked without hesitation, which had suprised Ivie. But she let herself fall into it, not wanting to regret anything the next day.

This kiss wasn't gentle like their first kiss. And Ivie couldn't stop replaying it in her head with a grin on her face.

~*~

"Yeah, I know we haven't talked in awhile. I'm sorry. Things here have been crazy." Jerica says into her phone.

"It's okay. I heard about the accident. I'm so sorry Jerica." The person on the other end comments.

Accident. What accident? Jerica can't seem to understand what her boyfriend is talking about.

"Who told you about it?" Jerica asks, pretending to know what's going on so Alex will tell her. This always works in movies.

"The car accident? Lucas told me. He said that's why you've been distant and not answering your phone." Alex, Jerica's boyfriend, says.

"I feel bad for Lucas and Mason, but I'm glad you didn't get hurt. And I hope they catch that stupid drunk driver." Alex adds.

Jerica gets it now. Lucas must've said they got in a car accident to explain what's been going on.

Jerica will have to talk to Lucas about that. He should've told her so this situation could've been avoided.

"Yeah. Same here." Jerica answers as normally as she can.

The real reason Jerica hadn't talked to Alex is because she doesn't feel like he's involved.

Jerica used to talk to Alex on the phone all the time, at least 3 times a day. In between that text. Now she hardly texts him.

Jerica has felt her connection to her boyfriend slipping away for a few months now. That's one of the reasons she pretended to have a full blown crush on Adrian.

Yes, Jerica thinks Adrian is hot and amazing for a teenage guy.

But no, Jerica isn't crushing hard on him. And she had flirted with him for fun. It hadn't meant anything.

And Jerica's not just thinking that because she's on the phone with her boyfriend.

"I hope Mason gets better." Alex says sincerely.

Alex has always been so caring. He cares for everyone, never having a bad word to say about anyone.

The problem is that he doesn't care about Jerica much more than he cares for everyone else. But Jerica ignores that because Alex is a good boyfriend.

Alex is sweet, although he's shy. Alex is responsible. He has a job and is never late to anything. He's usually early.

Alex is presentable. He wears nice clothes and is good looking on the moderate scale. Alex is good with parents, although he's only met Jerica's parents once in the two years they've been dating, he still made a good impression.

Actually, Alex is kind of bland. Unexciting. Whatever you want to call the average good guy. But Jerica also ignores that, because at least she has him. And he likes her enough.

"Me too Alex." Jerica says, actually meaning it. She misses Mason a lot, more than she thought possible, since Jerica isn't the most loving person.

Mason always made Jerica laugh when no one else could, besides Lena. But Lena is her best friend.

Even though Mason isn't the shiniest fry in the happy meal, he was a good brother. He didn't have to be super smart to show that side of himself.

Jerica surprises herself when she swipes at her eyes, which had began watering. Jerica isn't the crying type either. She thinks of herself as stubbornly strong.

"Are you okay?" Alex asks, sensing something is wrong. He probably thinks he upset her, which he kind of did. But that's not the point.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Jerica's voice comes out strong and unhesitating. Back to normal.

"Well, I have a surprise that'll cheer you up." Alex says in a chirpy voice. How can someone be that cheerful this early in the morning?

Jerica glances at the time to see that it's only a little past 10 am. Ugh. Too early for cheer.

"Oh yeah?" Jerica responds, not bothering to sound enthusiastic. Alex knows how Jerica is in the morning.

"I get to visit after all!" Alex announces joyfully.

Jerica freezes, not even daring to breathe. How could he come? Not now!

Jerica had wanted Alex to visit this summer, but he had this internship he had to do for college credit so he'd get into a good school. He still hasn't figured out where he wants to go.

Not that Jerica is judging. She doesn't know what college she's going to either. Basically, it will probably be wherever Lena goes.

"So why the sudden change in plans?" Jerica asks.

Alex was supposed to leave for the internship soon. Jerica checks her calender for a reminder. He should've left yesterday.

"The Google internship is starting late this year. It was a short notice change, but I think I can come visit tomorrow and stay over the weekend." Alex says.

Jerica is breathing again, but she still sits in shock. Tomorrow is Friday. He'll be here tomorrow. During all the craziness of all the supernatural stuff.

"If that's okay?" Alex asks shyly.

Jerica considers making up something so Alex won't come. So he wont possibly figure out everything that's been going on. But Jerica's always had a bit of bad luck.

"Actually, now isn't a good time…” Jerica hopes Alex will understand, even though she can't tell him.

~*~

"You what?" Lucas exclaims, staring at John in shock.

"I think I found a way to help Mason." John repeats.

"Yeah, I heard that but... Really?" Lucas questions in disbelief. Mason could wake up. Today. If John's way works. "How?" Lucas adds quickly.

"I'll explain later. Do you want to come to the hospital with me? You tell Jerica and Lena so they can meet us there." John suggests.

"Yes! But we don't know how to get to the Cloud World." Lucas says worriedly.

"Right. Forgot about that. We can pick them up along the way." John says before grabbing his backpack. Lucas wonders what's in it, but doesn't ask.

"Let's teleport to them." John says, holding out his hand. "You have to hold my hand to go with me." John explains to avoid any questioning there.

Lucas decides not to ask John how he can teleport. Lucas just can't believe what's happening. They're going to save Mason. Probably.

It's been eight excruciatingly painfully days since Mason had fallen unconscious. Lucas hasn't been in physical pain, but in mental pain.

And Lucas was told that Mason isn't in pain, but it's not like that makes Lucas feel better about not having his brother around.

~*~

Jerica and Lena were both surprised when John and Lucas literally popped out of nowhere, but they quickly got over it when they explained what was happening.

~*~

At the hospital, everyone is staring at John anxiously.

"Tell us what's going on already!" Jerica says in exasperation, putting to words what Lucas and Lena were both thinking.

This proves that sometimes Jerica is good to have around.

That thought would've made Lucas chuckle if not for the serious situation they're in.

"Okay. I asked some more experienced Spellcasters about powerful healing spells. Spells that can wake up coma victims." John starts explaining.

"And they said there isn't one." John says, but hurries on quickly at the sight of the distraught faces.

"But it was a lie to keep me from dark magic." John adds.

Lucas suddenly wonders something.

"John, did Adrian threaten you to do this?" Lucas questions John very seriously, wanting to know the  answer.

Jerica shoots Lucas a look that says, "Does it matter when we're so close to getting Mason back?" But Lucas plunges on.

"No. No one forced me to do this. All of this is of my own free will." John says with a perfectly straightened spine, holding his chin up with confidence in his choice to help.

"Then why delve into dark magic? Isn't that really bad for you?" Lucas questions his best friend in concern. He shouldn't have to have his friend sacrifice for his brother.

"It would be bad if I used dark magic. But I found a different way. It's a complicated spell, but I think I can do it." John says with slightly less confidence.

This is why John hasn't told his sisters Evie and Alisa what's been going on. The spell John found is very dangerous and has to have a lot of power behind it. His sisters would try to stop him. But John had to do this.

"I can't ask you to do this if you aren't sure you can." Lucas says, wondering if he's making the right decision.

It feels like Lucas is choosing John over Mason, which doesn't feel good. But what else can Lucas do?

"You're not asking. I'm choosing to do this." John says determined to do this for Mason.

Then John turns to Mason, sitting in the chair next to him. John does this strategically because if the spell weakens John a lot, he doesn't want to fall on Mason. That would be bad.

John lets his hands hover over Mason's chest, over his heart. John takes a deep breath before starting the powerful spell, not sure if it will work, but giving it a shot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199K 5K 38
"You can't run, I'll catch you. You can't hide, I'll find you. So why don't you just give up, Sophia darling?" Sophia is an ordinary girl with a ord...
65K 1.7K 23
Valentines and Jacob relationship is growing even farther the Val could have hoped. Bellas and Edwards relationship took a huge turn when Edward and...
1K 114 31
Devon's mind had been a mess for quite a while. All the voices in his head kept telling him how he needed end his life to numb the pain and lonelines...
169K 7.8K 31
"Tell me something real about you. Like, where are your parents? Do you have any siblings? Give me something that shows me who the real Kaia Jones is...