From Silver to Diamonds

By ycnjw17mania

From a normal ordinary life to a bizarre luxurious life, Sophie Harrison always thought she was well off, til... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue

Chapter 2

872 22 1
By ycnjw17mania

During the morning it’s the least busy time of the day at school. People decides to waltz to school whenever they felt like and end up getting detention by the late-pass and uniform department patrolling along the corridors and at the gates when the bell signaled for the first class. Students never know when or where they appear, they are rumored to be ninjas in disguises.

It was still early in the morning, only fifteen minutes before the first lesson starts to be precise. It’s one of those rare mornings that I wake up early and go to school before the first warning bell. But today was a different matter. On my shoulders I carried few “Go Green!” recycle bags and my pink with white hearts Sportsgirl duffel bag hooped around my forearm.  I shuffled to my locker, remembering to keep a low profile as for I had no intentions of mixing in with the smart alecs but rebel type that hung around my locker area.

The bell went and the corridors became alive with people whirling pass trying to get to their lockers as soon as possible hopping that they won’t get caught by those old nags from the late-pass and uniform department. I mimic them and yank out books that I need for today’s lesson and those that aren’t into the recycle bags. 

I twirled around and to my surprised I knocked into Nicholas Windsor who still had his sports bag strapped across his chest, his hands in his jean pockets. I stopped dead then made for the right but unexpectedly he did the same, then we both tried for the left. No good.  He stood still this time. I glanced at my watch and took a left turn and dashed past him. I only had less than a minute to make for biology class at the new buildings before the teacher will rage at me again for the umpteenth time or be caught by those patrollers.

The bio teacher was about to slide the door when I quickly shoved my foot into the gap to stop it from closing. I came face to face to the bio teacher who seemed unhappy to see me but added a bit of sadness in his expression. The news probably had reached to all the teachers that I have this year and the ones I had in the previous years.

“Sorry,” I mumbled. “Sorry I’m late.”

He opened the door and let me in.

“Okay come on in. This might be the last time I get to give you a detention during lunch,” he sighed.

I stepped in and took a brief look around the classroom with no one paid interests at my lateness. In my usual seat at the far right corner next to the window was occupied by Nicholas Windsor who normally sit in the centre of the middle row. Wait was he always in my bio class and how the hell did he get here so fast?

 His chin was rested in his palm; eyes stared directly outside the closest open window to where he sat, bored and unconcerned about his surroundings. His other hand tapped his pen irritatingly against the bench.

Before I was settled into a spare spot near the front, the bio teacher asked me to get up to the front of the room. I swallowed hard and stalked up there, head low with my semi-straight curly hair curtained the side of my face.

At the front of the room, I could see everyone’s eyes flickered at me then back to what they were doing few seconds ago, showing no sign of interest. I had always been a wallflower, I had a choice whether if I want to stand out or not but being the background doesn’t bother me at it because it’s not like I even want to be here at the first place.

Good, let’s keep it this way so it’ll be a clean break and no hearts broken. I shuffled my feet and stared down at them as I laced my hands behind my back, nervously.

“It’s a shame that Miss Harrison will be leaving us so soon. In fact I was informed to tell you all that today is her last day with us. She’ll be leaving us to somewhere far away to a country that I don’t even know where in the world but I believe it’s somewhere in Europe. Please send her you best regard when you have the chance.”

Silence hit the room, but not for a while until they all began pouring out fake blessings and wishes. I couldn’t understand how people can say things like that so easily when they don’t really mean it at all. They are exactly the types that I dislike the most, just saying things when they actually don't care less. I’m hurt.

Last few hours of my life in Hamilton dragged past. Mum’s car was already pulled to the front of the school waiting for me to arrive. I waddled to the car trying to balance all the recycle bags at once. Mum immediately spotted me and jumped out of the car to help.

“How is it, sweetie?” mum said softly.

“I’m fine, no hard feelings.” I replied.

On the way home it was painful, neither of us spoke. Mum’s face was full of anxiety and regret. No matter how much she’d tried to cover it every time she’d caught me looking at her. She’d placed a hand on my hand as she let the auto run itself. Mum’s hand felt cold, as if I could sense the energy leaking through the tips of her fingers, I could tell how much she’d missed me already and her fathomable love seeped through my skin.

Tears trickled down the sides of my face. Before I knew it I was truly crying. It was the first time I ever shed a tear long since I remembered. Strange feeling of heart burns merge out of my chest making it harder to breath. More tears came out and this alien feeling of mine began to cause me uncomfortable hiccups.

Noticing me, mum pulled to the side and stopped the car. She’d cuddled me and rocked me back and forth. Great, now I gotten her started as well. My arms clung onto her as if she was my only life line. This strange feeling was getting stronger and stronger and both us were crying out loud. So this was sadness. It was the harshest feelings of all emotions. For all my life I was surrounded with loving parents, old friends who knew me so well yet so far away and caring grandparents. There was no time in my life that I was sad and finally I have gotten the taste of it. It was so bitter yet so sweet on the tip of my tongue.

It was strange, when I finally recovered. People who drove by waggled their eyebrows at us. I gently patted mum’s shoulder and waited for her turn to calm down. I could feel the wetness on my left shoulder and her sorrowful cries echoing in my ears. When she finally came around the corner, she’d slowly pulled away from my gasp and stared at me with her bloodshot eyes.

“ You’re the best thing that ever happened to me and Oscar,” she said slowly full of affections. “Promise me that you’ll call once in a while or at least write emails to us.”

“Mum, I’m not leaving till tomorrow night. We still got time,” I told her.

I leaned over and kissed her damp blotchy cheek. Then mum began to restart the car, heading for home.

Dad was on the phone talking to someone who made him sound distressed. It had been a long time since I’ve seen him smile. For the past few months it had been a horror for him with his business falling apart and employees demanding for a raise. Now it’s all settled, he’s probably on the phone trying to convince his own partnership back.

“Welcome back, Sophie. How’s school?” Dad punched the end button.

I settled my books on the floor and prepared for a daddy’s girl hug. I sighed as he did so giving me one of his bear hugs that I dislike. There’s one thing I have to confess that I’m actually emotionally retarded and no wonder no one in Hamilton for all those years tried to approach me because of my everyday same blank face.

“It’s okay,”

It wasn’t a lie because I didn’t have to see those fakers anymore but I know I’ll totally miss the school’s prestigious buildings, that never failed to amaze me.

After abandoning my books away somewhere deep in one of my wardrobes, I decided to help mum prepare a farewell dinner for me. There dishes of all my favorite foods; bacon and egg omelet with diced vegetables, the exotic smell of honey soy chicken drumsticks and last of all, mum’s special garden salad.

We gathered at the table with our lips smacking together and licking our lips. It seems like mum’s and my cooking had really lifted the mood up a bit. A bite after another, tears rolled down and splattered against the dining table. The hard feeling came back again attacking me hard off my feet. Dad and mum stopped eating for a second both of them had their heads turned away crying softly to themselves then forced a smile, both saying they’re fine.

Lies. I watched them get back to their dinner and slowly eating their food. They had lost their appetite and each bite they swallowed hard. It was devastating to watch them, making my heart clench so tight I could hardly breathe. 

Was it a bad mistake to make? I knew it was such a hasty decision but it was my only way to say thanks to my parents and grandparents for all these years since I’m no good in emotions and according to my old friends I’m ridiculously dense as well. Besides this is what I wanted.

Arrived an hour early at the airport, with mum and dad pushed my belongings on a rented trolley. They face was gloomy and bereaved. Gran and pops were there as well along with the old faces of my friends. I couldn’t believe all of them had changed so much. Once free from makeup are now covered up with it. Not only that, some of their boyfriends that I would’ve met if I went to the same school with them also there comforting me.

“I’m going to miss you,” they said between sobs after I finished checking in my luggage.

It had been so long, it was hard for me to tell if they really meant it or not. I heard that they were asked to come because my parents called them one by to do so. They really didn’t have to and my friends probably wanted to spend their weekends snogging with their boyfriends and cuddle together at a Saturday night watching a horror movie.

“Sophie!” a tiny brunette that I’ve met before rushed to me. 

“Um, hello…” I said unsurely, unable to recall her name and where I’ve seen her.

“Do you remember me? I’m the girl that you helped outside the school when I thought I missed the bus. All thanks to you I managed to get home in time to see my new baby sister.” She puffed. “And you know what I convinced my parents to name her after you. It’s such a cute and beautiful name.”

I put down my hand carry for a second. My hands were getting tired for carrying such a heavy load for a long time. Inside was stuffed with a book to keep me entertained, toilettes, my phone, ipod and my laptop that I’ve received as a birthday present from pops and gran for my sixteenth birthday. Gosh, I never knew such few items could weight so much, especially my laptop when it’s being carried alone it feels like nothing.

“Yes, now you’ve mention it.” I said awkwardly, brushing my indie fringe even though there wasn’t a need to do so. “How did you know I’m leaving tonight? By the way where are your parents?”

The year seven girl did a strange snaky dance. Everyone stared at her weirdly expect for me who just looked at her with my usual expression. She was overly excited to see me and the gesture was probably the result of her excitement. Her eyes were all glittery as she gazed admiringly at me.

“Oh, they’re at home. I mean, I asked nana to take me here and it was the late-pass and uniform committee that told me when I asked if you were at school yesterday, so they told me that yesterday was your last. So I’m here to thank you properly.” She said in one go without needing to stop and take a breath. 

This girl is an amazing; I could see she had a bright future with the enthusiasm in her eyes and she seemed positive to everything. She would be the best sister in the world and with those good points she would stand out. God bless her to be surrounded with good fortune and love. I gave her a small pat on her head and bid her farewell as her nana came to get her.

The PA blared overhead announcing my flight AFA27670 to France is now taking passengers on board. I gave my friends one last hugs and turned to face my parents. This time mum was crying her heart out with dad depressed holding on her and letting her be buried in his chest.

I stepped forward to them and gave them the most affectionate hug that I ever given. I was never quite found of hugs and always concerned about personal spaces even with my family where everyone enjoys planting sloppy kisses and bear hugs.

“We’ll miss you and I wish we did have to do this.” Dad said. “Let’s find Mr Chevalier and forfeit the contract. I’m sure we’re fine starting over again as employees.”

My arms felt numb and feel to the side. I picked up my hand carry and searched for my plane tickets and passport.

“Mum, dad and everyone don’t worry about me this is going to be a great experience. “ I said cheerfully. “Girls, don’t you ever forget me alright?”

Everyone cried even more as I waved goodbye for the last time, thinking that partings were never easy, then ran to the security check where George Chevalier, Ms Gravois and the three black suited men awaited.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So there's 2 chapters uploaded already. So what do you think bit sloppy? It'll be great listening to your opinions and your expectation for the comming chapters and I will definitely won't forget to give credit to you guys. If you have read up till now, I would like to say thanks for your support!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199K 12K 32
Mr. Billionaire makes a proposal of marriage to a beautiful baker woman. She is to be his wife in a loveless marriage, as he, her husband. β€’β€’β€’ Giovan...
18.6M 528K 72
Previously known as Married to my sister's fiancΓ© "Are you......Emily Jones? The biological daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jones?" The lawyer asked and I n...
740K 22.7K 63
BOOK 1 IN THE ROMANO SERIES (WARNING!!! 18+ ONLY ➑ THIS BOOK CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE AND EXPLICIT MATURE SCENES) Kiara Cambridge is a norm...
952 38 19
**YOU MUST READ BOOK ONE (SPILLED SECRETS) FIRST BEFORE YOU READ THIS❗** ***** The events of Book One are long gone, and everyone is getting their li...