Adapting to the Ground (a The...

By Quinntessence93

COMPLETED!! Natalie Campbell hears something she shouldn't have: Wells and Clarke's conversation about the ox... More

Descension
Hallucinations
Healing
Learning
Fixing
Traveling
Tondisi
Dancing and Decisions
Reunion
Explainations
Storm
Progress
The Calm Before the Storm
SEQUEL!!!

Polis

2.4K 72 13
By Quinntessence93

A/N: dialogue in italics is Trigedasleng, since Natalie can speak it fluently and understands it completely now.

Earth: Five Months After Descension (sometime in February), 2149

    Polis really was full of all kinds of people. There were stalls everywhere, filled with produce and furs and dried meat and weapons and trinkets and-

    “Natali, look at that!” Bran hopped in place in the cart that had carried them from Tondisi to the big city, pointing at a stall with colourful pots and vases and pitchers. There were the traditional browns and tans, and there were also blues and reds, yellows, oranges, purples, pinks, greens, and there were white ones too, and black. “So many colours!

    “I see them, Bran!” Natalie laughed, holding onto Ana tightly when she wiggled around. Noah sat silently next to her, open-mouthed and wide-eyed at the teeming streets before them. They had just entered the gate into the city, and had turned down just a few streets.

    The cart stopped, and Talia – who'd been steering the horse pulling it – turned and grinned. “This is where we get off, Fayagada. We will have to walk from here.” She swung off and reached for the kids to help them down.

    Noah hopped down by herself, ignoring the offered hand. Natalie sent an apologetic face to the woman, who just shrugged and reached for Ana instead. Natalie handed the toddler over and jumped down, lifting Bran down once her feet hit solid ground. She tugged on Noah’s jacket to get her attention. “Stay close to me. I don't want you getting lost.”

    “Okay,” Noah agreed and stuck close to the group, her hands swinging free and her eyes taking in all that surrounded them. Drane and Laina led the tiny procession on their horses, leading two other horses that carried Natalie and the kids’ clothes and things.

    The group made their way through the winding streets, heading towards the tall tower in the distance. Natalie could see a flame flickering at the top, and was so focused on what she dubbed ‘The Giant Candle’, she didn't notice the woman that joined their trek until she spoke. “Heda has prepared a house for you and your children near her tower.”

    Natalie sucked in a startled breath, her gaze falling to the tall (to her, anyway) warrior walking next to her. “Onya! Hi.” The redhead smiled sheepishly and adjusted her grip on Bran's hand.

    Anya's gaze showed amusement, even as her face stayed as impassive as ever. “Hello, Natali.” She leaned over to address the boy clinging to his guardian's hand. “Bran,” then she looked to Noah, who walked slightly in front of the boy, as if to protect him from the crowd. “Noa. Where is the strikon?”

    Natalie pointed over at Talia, who had moved a bit closer to the children when she noticed Anya, carrying the little girl on her hip. “Talia offered to carry her so she wouldn't get lost or trampled.”

    Anya nodded at the stocky woman toting the toddler before turning her sight back on the redhead at her side. “I will escort you to your new house, and make sure you have everything you need for your household.”

    Natalie relaxed just a touch and smiled. “Thank you. What is expected of me to earn all of this, though?” She wouldn't reject a gift from the Commander or the General, but she also didn't want to be any kind of burden to either of them.

    “That will be decided later,” Anya assured, leading them down a street that was next to the impressive tower. Natalie nodded, then took Ana into her arms as she reached for her, settling the sleepy toddler over her chest. The little girl nuzzled her face into her guardian's neck and sighed.

    The group was led to neighborhood of sorts, like a gated community Natalie once saw in a movie back on the Ark. There was an actual fence around it, with two gates on either side. They entered the community and Anya looked around, her stoic features at least relaxed. She directed Drane, Laina and Talia to  a small, paint chipped house with a covered porch. Then she led Natalie and the children to a slightly bigger house.

    The house Natalie is taken to is a dark wooden cabin almost, slabs of wood sitting like patches on parts of the outside walls. There was a bit of an alcove over the door –which was surprisingly still intact–  and a slab of broken concrete sitting as a tiny porch in front of it. There was one window on the right side of the door, but some sort of covering blocked anyone from looking inside. Anya opened the door and stepped aside, letting the little family in to look around. To the direct left of the door stood a rack, which Anya mumbled was for their weapons. On the right sat a brazier, ready to be lit, with a few chairs surrounding it. A few lumps of fur sat around it as well, as seats, and a pile of dry wood sat in the corner. Natalie wandered past an opening, noticing a set of stairs on the right and a storage space on the left full of furs and blankets. She decided continue through the first floor before exploring further. In the back was a sort of kitchen. Counters and shelves sat against the walls, and a pantry stood in the back right corner. A large table with eight chairs sat in the middle, dark wood gleaming. She nodded and moved back to the stairs where the other two children had disappeared to and climbed them carefully, trying not to jostle the child that now slept in her arms. Upstairs to the left she found a bathroom, where a tub sat empty and a shelf held oils and soaps. A chair sat in a corner next to a smaller stool. A table held a large flat bowl and a pitcher of water. Past the bathroom further left was a bedroom with two beds and two trunks. Natalie and Bran were already arguing over who would get which side of the room. Natalie shook her head and carried Ana out and to the other side of the staircase, where she found two more bedrooms, each with a bed and a trunk. She laid Ana down in the smaller room, tucking her into the furs snuggly, before going to the room the older two had chosen.

    “Be quiet, Bran, Noa. Ana is sleeping,” she shooshed them, and they quieted down. “Noa gets the bed closest to the door.”

    Noah looks smug for a second until Natalie cuffs her lightly over the head. “Ow!” She ducks and covers her head, glaring at the redhead.

    “Don't look so smug, yongon. This is so you can leave quickly without waking Bran,” Natalie scolds, crossing her arms. She makes her way back down the stairs to find Anya still at the doorway. “Thank you, Onya.

    “You should thank the Commander. It is she who arranged this for you,” Anya smirks. She saunters to the pale woman and leans close, her breath ghosting over her cheek. “Now you have your own bed, we do not need to go to the woods.”

    Natalie turns as red as her hair, but smirks and leans up to whisper, “only if the children stay in their beds.” She leaves the house laughing, heading to start unpacking their things from the horses.

Earth: February 16, 2149 (Lexa's Ascension Day)

    The Tower swarmed with people, all gathered to celebrate the fateful day Leksa became their Commander. Music played for all to hear, alcohol flowed like water, and a feast was laid before them to eat as they pleased. The Commander herself sat on her throne, a small smoke on her lips as the children of Polis put on a reenacting of her Conclave, their tiny voices yelling out the story while they swung wooden swords and spears. Leksa had given a speech, commemorating the past Commanders and praising their accomplishments. There was a sort of ceremony, where a group of children (‘Natblida’ they were called) were also honoured as potential Commanders. They stood in a line near the Heda's throne, looking proud and fierce. Natalie ached for them when she heard that most of them would be killed at the next Conclave; half of the children were as little as Bran, if not younger.

    Noah was with a group of Seconds, laughing and comparing the feats of their Firsts, having been recently inducted as Talia's Second. The girl was a bit bruised and battered, but happy. Bran clung to Natalie like usual, watching the scores of people with wary dark eyes. Ana sat on Natalie's hip, taking in the whole scene with giggles at some of the faces some of the people made at her. Natalie and her charges had been a constant presence in and around the Tower since they arrived in Polis. So the people who worked in the Tower had all been captivated by one or more of the children that stuck close to the redhead, and the Natblida had befriended them (albeit a bit distantly when the angry bald Fleimkipa was around). Bran was even relaxed around some of the handmaidens, if a bit wary and cautious. So while the children were occupied with the handmaidens that kept the Tower clean and running smoothly, Natalie spent time with the Commander and Anya, telling them of the place she came from. Other times, Natalie and her charges were permitted to sit in on a few lessons the Nightbloods attended.

    It was no surprise then, when Natalie and her adopted family (including Drane, Laina, and Talia) were all invited to the festivities within the Tower. Even Dex and Kay showed up to attend. They danced like they had in Tondisi, but pulled in Drane and Laina as well. And of course, Talia joined them to dance with her snogon. Then they all collectively pulled in Natalie and the two children with her. Kay lifted Bran onto her hip, his giggles drifting over the group. Ana was passed from person to person, swung around and tossed in the air as the party went on.

    Then the song changed, and suddenly Natalie was standing alone as the drums beat out a sensuous sound. A flute and some stringed instrument accompanied the drums, and a tall dark haired beauty added her voice to sing. Anya appeared in front of the redhead, her gaze smouldering and a smirk on her lips. She stalked towards the shorter woman, her hips swaying in time with the beat of the drums and her arms reaching for her. She circled around her, Natalie following her movements with her eyes, turning her head as well. Anya trailed her fingertips over Natalie's waist, slipping under the shirt she wore to feel smooth skin. Natalie licked her lips and started moving with her, led by small touches and nudges from the older woman. They pressed themselves close, hands roaming over backs and arms. They swayed as one, a smirk on one pair of lips while the other stayed parted in a dazed expression of almost disbelief. Hazel eyes bored down into brown, pupils dialating as the song went on and the room seemed to heat up. Sweat beaded on their skin, glistening in the candlelight. Other couples danced around them, but neither woman noticed as they focused on one another. Then, when the song ended, Anya took Natalie's hand and pulled her from the room. There was a murmured promise from the younger woman's adopted brother to look after the children before they were in the corridor and against the wall.

    Anya buried her fingers in the thick red locks of the shorter woman, licking her way into her mouth as she scratched lightly at her scalp. Natalie let out an embarrassingly loud moan, gripping Anya's hips tightly and pulling her closer. Anya reciprocated by slotting her thigh between Natalie's legs, trailing one hand down to squeeze at her ass and lift her just the slightest. The redhead trailed her fingers up the warrior's sides, under her shirt, stopping just below the wrappings over her breasts. Anya shuddered, pressing Natalie closer to the wall and kneading the flesh in her hand. Another moan slipped from one mouth to the other, and then Natalie pushed at Anya.

    “What is wrong?” Anya was so dazed, she slipped straight to Trigedasleng. She furrowed her brow, searching the face of her lover.

    Natalie shook her head, partly to clear her fuzzy head and partly to interrupt Anya. “Nothing. Take me to your room. I'm not much into public sex.” She smirked, slipping her hands out of the general's shirt to play with the hem.

    Anya smirked back, pulling away and taking her by the hand. “This way.” She led the way to her chambers, locking the door behind them.

Earth: Six Months After Descension (sometime in March), 2149

    Natalie sat at the table in her house in Polis with her three charges, Drane, and Talia, eating a private dinner. They were quiet save for the toddler babble from Ana on a booster seat next to the redhead. Laina was late.

    The hunter had gone to a post in the west with a group of traders to supervise the trading of some of the furs she had cured herself, and had been expected back a week ago. They wouldn't be as worried as they, except the post she had traveled to was extremely close to Maun-de, the mountain. From what Natalie had heard from everyone she had asked, that was very dangerous territory. Plagued by strange men –in strange gear and armed with what Natalie was sure was guns– and a burning fog that melted the skin of men.

    There was a knock on the door, and the adults and Noah exchanged glances before Drane stood, pulling his dagger from its sheath. He sauntered to the door and pulled it open partway, then resheathed his blade as he opened the door completely. “Onya, Heda,” he greeted with masked surprise. Natalie and Talia joined him in the front room, the two youngest children crowding around their guardian while Noah stood next to her First.

    Anya looked at them grimly as she and the Commander stepped inside, a young girl behind the General in the position as her Second. Leksa looked around the home a moment, taking in the homey appearance of the front room. There were pictures on the walls, drawn by Bran or colored by Ana. One of Noah's knives sat on a shelf in pieces, no doubt a story behind the display. Then the stoic brunette turned to the occupants of the house, and they were shocked by the turmoil that swam in her gaze. She lifted her chin, as if steeling herself. “You are Leina kom Trikru’s family?”

    Drane nodded, his heart sinking. “Yes, Commander, Leina is my Father's sister's daughter.”

    Leksa nodded, her brow creasing just the slightest. “I am sorry to have to tell you, the Maunon have taken her.”

    Drane nodded once, bowing his head in respect to his Heda. “Thank you for telling us.” The Commander nodded her welcome and turned and left, leaving Anya and her Second behind. Drane took a breath and turned to his surrogate sister and his cousin's girlfriend. “I am going to get some air.” Then he turned and left, rubbing his bald head.

    Talia kept her fave impassive, then went to the back room to clean uo the meal. Natalie stood dazed, her fingers absentmindedly pushing through Bran’s dark curls. She nodded, her gaze flicking up to meet Anya's. “So she's not coming back?” She spoke in English, trying to make sure she understood.

    “No.” Anya shook her head, a small frown on her lips.

    Natalie nodded again and took a deep breath, blinking back the tears that threatened. “She was my best friend. I will miss her.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.2K 537 18
When she was little, people told her stories about how fire fell from the sky destroying everything and everyone on Earth. And up from the ground, a...
123K 2.5K 16
Ariella Coyn was born in space, and shes lived there her whole life. She's been a prisoner on the Ark since she was 11 for a crime she didn't commit...
10.1K 163 28
Alia Jasso has lived her entire life on the Ark. Her parents died when she was younger, but she always had her best friend to back her up and support...
27.5K 734 18
In which the twin sister of Wells Jaha finds herself on earth, with her best friends, falling in love with their leader. [the 100] [s1-s7] [Bellamy B...