The decoy

By williamrussell

When he is used to attract the attention of a killer, Sebastian finds himself very comfortable in the role an... More

The Decoy
Chapt 2
Chapt 3
Chapt 4
Chapt 5
Chapt 6
Chapt 7
Chapt 8
Chapt 9
Chapt 10
Chapt 11
Chapt 12
Chapt 13
Chapt 14
Chapt 15
Chapt 17
Chapt 18
Chapt 19
Chapt 20
Chapt 21
Chapt 22
Chapt 23
Chapt 24
Chapt 25
Chapt 26
Chapt 27
Chapt 28
Chapt 29
Chapt 30
Chapt 31
Chapt 32
Chapt 33
Chapt 34
Epilogue

Chapt 16

9.6K 12 0
By williamrussell

Chapter Sixteen

Pulling into the parking lot at Vail's place of business, Sebastian saw the red corvette begin to pull out of his parking spot. He drove up right in front of Starr and turned off the engine of his truck blocking Starr's corvette. The door of the corvette quickly swung open and Cam Starr pried himself from the driver's seat.

Sebastian thought Starr didn't look so good. When they first met Starr was trying to impress. He had a square jaw and steroid enhanced bulk that seemed to make his secretary, Tiffany swoon when he entered the room. He was tanned and confident at that first meeting. With Paul Vail gone, Starr was king of the castle.

Here in the parking lot he looked worn and tired and his color was grey. His bright blue eyes were framed with bags and dark circles and his massive tanned chest seemed deflated. Starr looked like he was carrying the world on those over grown shoulders.

Sebastian wondered if it was the murder investigation, the arrest of his friend Teddy Arsenault or maybe Rappelo had sent some people around looking for his missing money. Sebastian didn't know what it was but clearly something was haunting Starr.

It was sunny and bright and the parking lot was busy with a shift change. There were four trucks taking up space and ten cars as well. It was not the best spot for a confrontation but when Starr saw Sebastian he seemed determined to straighten things out.

"What the fuck you bothering people for," he said.

"You're the second person to ask me that this week," Sebastian answered.

He didn't mention that the other one had burned to death in the desert.

"I've been speaking to a lot of people. Who is it that you didn't want me talking with?"

"Look we have cops in Winona. We sure don't need a little smart ass bothering people," Starr said, "the police here will look after things. Maybe it's time you left. You haven't helped."

He stepped closer to Sebastian and continued to rant.

"What are you bothering Jessie for anyway? I told you to leave her alone. Her fucking husband just died and you're sniffing around her. Leave her the hell alone. And what good is it talking to the bitch up in Salt Lake City.

I heard what she told you. I spoke to her. I called her to make sure she knows that she isn't ever coming back here and she told me what she said. That's a lie.

That's why I had to fire her ass. She's a god damn liar."

"I heard Kristy quit because you wouldn't leave her alone Cam." Sebastian said

Starr stopped shouting and stared. He was stunned by the comment. He wasn't used to men making accusations of that nature about him. He turned towards his car like he was ready to leave and then he spun around and swung a sucker punch at Sebastian.

The punch took Sebastian by surprise. He should have sensed it coming from Starr's demeanor but he didn't. He was able to swivel his face to avoid the full force of the punch but the huge fist caught him lightly on the right cheek. It just grazed him but it was enough to spin him around and Sebastian stumbled backwards a few steps. He didn't go down but he could feel his cheek swelling.

"What have you and Teddy been buying in Mexico?"

Sebastian continued goading Starr.

Starr was lost in a rage now. He stepped towards Sebastian who moved to his left and slipped his leg behind Starr's. Sebastian threw him forward and Starr tumbled face first to the ground.

"You get the hell out of here," Starr growled as he righted himself, Pezzo killed Paul and everyone knows it. If you don't know it then you're too damn stupid to figure anything out."

A number of workers had noticed the men fighting. Now they scrambled out of trucks and cars and began to hurry towards them.

Starr began to slowly get to his feet.

"I heard you bought this car a month before Ms. Vail gave you the promotion," Sebastian said, "where did the money come from Starr? If you took money from Rappelo then you are a dead man. Rappelo has already sent some men to Winona. It is a matter of time. Rappelo wants his money.

Did you kill him Cam? Did you kill your friend Paul?"

Starr had never met a man who wasn't intimidated by his size. He had begun bullying when he was an overgrown kid and it was his natural reaction to people he didn't like. He expected to frighten Sebastian and if that didn't work he was going to hurt him. He was becoming conscious that a crowd of his own men were gathering and expecting to see their boss beat this smaller man.

Back on his feet he stood with his fists by his hands and stared at Sebastian and once again he stepped forward and threw an awkward punch at Sebastian. This time Sebastian was ready and he slipped to his left and threw a punch into the big man's kidney.

This time Starr dropped to his knees gasping for air. He had lost his bluster. His kidney was swelling and he was stunned. He bent at the waist, choking and trying to avoid vomiting.

"Where did you get the money for that car?" Sebastian asked again.

Starr was silent.

Sebastian wasn't going to hurt him badly. He had said some things which Starr would have to think about. It was best to leave the big man to nurse his injuries and his ego and to think about what had been said.

Sebastian got back into his truck and drove to his motel to freshen up and then off to meet Grace.

Starr staggered into his office. Sebastian had said some things that could cause a lot of trouble. If Sebastian wasn't willing to leave then Starr would need to straighten the little bastard out. Next time it would be different. He didn't like what Sebastian had said and more than that Sebastian had embarrassed him in front of his men.

Next time he would be prepared.

Starr's back ached where Sebastian had hit him in the kidneys.

Grace Young lived on the second floor of a two storey walk up. There were sixteen units in the complex and they all looked exactly the same. They were white stucco with red tile roofs. The first floor had a small patio out front and the second floor had a balcony that was just big enough for two chairs and a table. Inside was a living room/dining room combination and a galley kitchen. There were two bedrooms and one washroom.

Grace was in the kitchen draining pasta. Sebastian had just checked on her son Sam, who was sleeping now, after playing with Sebastian, on the floor of the living room for nearly an hour.

Sebastian enjoyed playing with the youngster but the experience was strange to him. He felt alien here.

He had been caged in a pen for the latter years of his childhood. Now he somehow found this apartment confining. He had spent very little time in people's homes and this night he was alone with a woman and her son. It felt like an intrusion into a world he had no place in.

She was making a meal while the child slept and he wasn't sure what he should do.

Playing with the boy dissipated some of the unnaturalness of being there but sometimes Sebastian felt as if he had been abducted by aliens and he no longer fit in the normal world and this was one of those times

When he was sitting on the floor playing with Sam, Sebastian realized that he had been only about nine years older than this boy when he had been abducted.

He watched the child playing and he could see that Sam was the product of a loving home, just innocence and exuberance. Sebastian didn't remember much of his early childhood and he wondered if he had ever been that childlike. Deacon Hill had stolen so much from him.

It worried him when he looked at Sam. Innocence and vulnerability are related.  He wanted to protect Sam and of course, Grace as well.

Grace was very sweet, for a woman who made her living doing what she did. She was normal and pretty and she liked Sebastian. He wanted this to work and so he wondered how much of his life story he could share before she would become repulsed.

She would ask tonight. She would want more and he was preparing himself to tell her everything. He would tell her about the other girl. He trusted her and he knew that if she was to trust him she needed the truth.

"Dinner's ready."

Grace put the pasta on the table and returned to the kitchen.

"Can you open the wine?"

            Sebastian entered the kitchen, opened the bottle and then placed it on the table. Then he stood behind her and kissed her on the back of her neck. He slipped his hands under her top and up to her breasts, gently caressing them while he kissed her ears.

Grace was pushed up against the sink. She remained motionless allowing him to touch her. One hand slid down and raised her ankle length skirt until he could reach her thighs. Then he slid his hand around between her legs while the other arm was wrapped around her waist. He held her helpless against the sink.

"Not yet," She said. "Sam might wake up. Let's eat first."

She pushed back against him and he followed her to the table. Where they shared a meal and his past.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69 1 19
This book takes place 5 years before the events of the hunger games trilogy. Orion must survive and kill all 23 other opponents or he won't make it o...
301 28 8
Lucas Sinclair finds himself reaped into The Hunger Games alongside Max Mayfield. There has never been a District 12 winner in the entire history of...
Headhunter By Kevin Langford

Mystery / Thriller

176 1 25
Peter Ford is given an innocent case to keep him busy and out of trouble. Before he knows it, he is thrust into a serial killer's world. He has to u...
280 15 23
Sebastian was looking for adventure but he was mostly looking for love. He could never find love he was to busy with work to focus on his love life...