Protection

By xtrisandfourx

Beatrice Prior has it all: money, beauty, friends, fame. Her parents are powerful, influential politicians, b... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue

Chapter 1

12.6K 230 147
By xtrisandfourx

TRIS POV

It is a normal morning. The sun steadily creeps up over the horizon, painting the pale sky pink. The road in front of me is glazed with water from the rain shower that happened last night. I stick to the side of it, of course, and continue my early morning jog.

I am carefree, listening to music on my phone as my feet repeatedly hit the ground and propel me forward. I don't care about my social status right now, or my parents' expectations. I am just a normal nineteen-year-old girl, running because I feel like it.

But the high doesn't last for long, and I am sidetracked with worries. My parents have to speak to a crowd today. I don't like when they do—although that is their job as wealthy politicians—because there is always a threat posed to them. Not everyone agrees with their political views, after all. I am anxious that someone will decide to take their disagreements a step too far one day.

I notice that my usual turn is coming up, which leads back into my neighborhood and signals the end of my run. But I don't want to go home just yet. Besides, I still have some energy left.

So I continue jogging straight, into an unfamiliar but fairly decent-looking neighborhood. The houses here are not like mine—instead, they are short and thin, mediocre. They are in direct contrast to our spacious, extravagant mansion.

Something tells me I should turn back; something doesn't seem right. The street is too quiet, and it is unsettling.

But I shake my head briefly, ignoring the thought. It is only there because I am in a foreign place.

The end of the road comes into view, and I decide to turn there and follow it until I arrive at the other turn that will lead me back down to my house. Lost in this plan, I am completely caught off guard when arms grab at me harshly from behind.

I scream, panicked, and struggle to fight his grip, but the unfamiliar man trapping me is relentless. I feel bile rise in my throat when he gropes my chest, and tears fill my eyes. I can't believe this is happening; I am terrified, I am paralyzed.

Fight back, you idiot! my mind yells at me. And suddenly I am more alert than scared.

He clamps a hand over my mouth, and on instinct I bite down on his fingers while simultaneously back kicking him in the groin. Letting go of me for a split second, he cries out, giving me the opportunity to slip out of his arms.

Then I remember that I have a method of defense. I reach for the pepper spray in the waistband of my athletic pants, flipping the safety off and pressing down on the top just as he runs at me again. The mace sprays in his face, causing him to yell in pain and cover his eyes.

I turn and run as fast as I can down the road, fleeing for my life.

xXxXx

"Are you sure you're okay, sweetie?"

I sip the hot chocolate from the mug in my hands. It is sweet and warm and soothing for my stomach. The adrenaline has worn off, but I am still trembling underneath the fluffy blanket covering me. I can't shake the sickening feeling of being harassed out of my mind.

"I think I'm fine now," I mumble to my mom, setting the cup down on the coffee table. Although I still don't understand how somebody could flat-out attack me like that.

My dad, on the other hand, doesn't think I am okay. He leans his face into his hand and sighs. "We need to do something about this," he says. "You shouldn't have to be constantly looking over your shoulder wherever you go. And besides, what if you didn't have your mace with you? You could have gotten raped, or worse!"

"I don't think it will happen again," I tell him honestly. I was most likely just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"No, because next time it will be someone trying to get back at your mother and I, not just some random attacker, and then you won't come home." I shudder a little at his words. He has a point, but I don't know what he wants me to do. Never leave the house? The world is a scary place, but I can't let that stop me from living my life.

He is silent for a moment before he suggests, "I think we should hire a bodyguard to protect you."

"What?!" I exclaim, mortified. I am repulsed by the idea. "No, you can't do that. He would have to like...follow me everywhere!"

"Exactly," my dad says. "He would go wherever you wanted to, and always be there just in case. What do you think, Natalie?"

I look to my mom, desperate for her help, desperate for her to try to change his stubborn mind. But she doesn't. "I think it's a great idea," she chirps. So much help. Thanks, Mom.

"No, it is not a good idea! This will ruin my life! And everyone will make fun of me and this will trash my reputation and—"

Dad cuts off my whining. "You're being dramatic, Beatrice." He drags a hand down his tired face, and I feel bad for complaining because I know he is just trying to protect me. But at the same time, I cannot have some guy following me around, dictating my life. "Unless you can think of any alternatives, I'm going to start looking for a bodyguard for you."

I open my mouth to propose an idea, only to close it a moment later when I realize that I can't think of anything.

"This isn't fair," I grumble, falling back against the armrest of the couch defeatedly. "Why can't Caleb just follow me around?" I would much rather have my older brother protect me than some stranger.

My father gives me an incredulous look and explains, "Because Caleb wouldn't be able to protect you if it came down to it. You need someone with years of training and experience. I want a professional to guard you. As much as I love Caleb, he isn't strong or agile in the slightest."

"Hey!" Caleb cries out defensively as he saunters into the living room. But he knows it is true. He is more of the nerdy, sit-inside-and-read-books-all-day type.

Dad winks at him before his face falls again. He stands up and walks over to pat my knee. "Beatrice," he says softly. "I just want to make sure you are safe. I wouldn't be able to handle it if something were to happen to you."

"I know," I pout as he paces out of the room and back to his office. And I know there is no swerving his decision because his mind is now set. I really don't want to do this, though.

Caleb plops down on the couch next to me. "What's going on?" he asks curiously.

Mom answers from her spot on the couch chair, "Your sister got attacked this morning while running—"

He turns to me with wide eyes, shocked at the news. "What?! Are you okay?" Funny, he never seems to care about me until now.

I nod. "I'm fine now."

"Your father is going to hire a bodyguard for her," my mother continues.

He sighs and nods along to her words in agreement. "Yeah, that's probably the best thing to do."

I roll my eyes, not wanting to think about how much my life is going to change if my dad succeeds in finding a bodyguard for me. "I'm going to take a shower," I declare, annoyed, before throwing the blanket down and heading upstairs to my room.

I undress quickly, wanting to get in the shower as soon as possible to get rid of the dirty feeling of that man's hands on me. Then I walk into the adjoining bathroom and twist the handle that turns on the shower.

Sighing when I finally step under the hot water, I allow myself to relax. I don't want to worry about having a bodyguard; I just want to enjoy my time that I have before that happens.

Pretty soon I won't have that luxury, I think wryly. Who knows, maybe my parents won't even let me shower alone.

It is a stupid, juvenile thought, but I am not happy at the moment. Realistically, I recognize that they are doing their best to keep me safe. However, I don't want them to treat me like a child who can't even go places by herself.

I don't need protection. I'm strong enough on my own.

xXxXx

Ok, I know the bodyguard idea isn't exactly original or new, but I had written a one-shot for it a while ago and got inspired to make it into an actual story. Specifically, I was re-inspired by @hakunamatata0723's bodyguard fanfic.

Btw I am aware that the first chapter is boring but it's still essential to the story. It'll pick up next chapter, I promise.😂

The last quote was taken from Allegiant, but the original quote is, "She doesn't need my protection. She's strong enough on her own."

Disclaimer: I don't own the Divergent series or any of its characters.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.2K 2.1K 41
Tris... She has a passion for snowboarding and her family owns a ski lodge. She has a group of friends that all look out for each other, and everyone...
29.6K 580 35
ALLEGIANT SPOILERS! After Tris's death, Tobias goes to see her in the weapons lab. When he gets there, he realizes that he went only to be greeted wi...
8.8K 212 16
INCOMPLETE******** Tobias Eaton AKA Commander Four is tasked to investigate a woman suspected to have connections with a rebel group. The only way fo...
258K 5.5K 32
My name's Cassia Hollester. I'm different from the usual suspects, I'm divergent. Although, I never knew what that actually meant. I'm willing to fin...