Lesson Learned {Student Teach...

By WhiskeySeattle

My whole life is 'have to.' I have to work full-time to pay the bills and keep food on the table. I have t... More

Cast, Playlist, & Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52

Chapter 32

5.2K 187 46
By WhiskeySeattle

Carla fetches us each a glass of sparkling water with a slice of lemon before alerting Will's mother that we have arrived. 

"You can go in," Clara's green eyes are dancing with curiosity as we pass her desk.

Even with Will by my side, my confidence was waning with every step. 

The last time I saw Will's mom, she found me squatting behind a dumpster and talking to myself in the alley behind the Seattle Opera House.  Not my proudest moment.

Hyacinth is seated at an angular silver and glass desk that stands in stark contrast to the ornate Victorian fixtures of the room. She's wearing a tailored red blazer to match the bold cat-eye frame of her snazzy glasses and her hair is swept up in an elegant twist. 

She raises to her heeled feet as soon as she spots her son. I follow Will's lead and set my drink on a coaster while he gives his mother a warm hug. 

"Hello, darling," she kisses Will lightly on the cheek. 

Hyacinth fixes her deep aqua eyes on me. 

How did I miss their uncanny resemblance the night of the charity event? Will has his mother's soulful eyes. 

"Hello, Moira," Hyacinth breathes and takes my hands in hers. 

"You know each other?" Will's brow lifts in adorable shock.

I didn't think she'd remember my name, and that simple gesture means a lot.

"Hello, Ms. Smithe," I smile as she tenderly squeezed my hands.

"Call me, Hye," she waves off the formality with a sly grin. "Will, do you mind if I steal this lovely young woman for a chat?"

"Not at all," he chuckles. "I'm going to check on Moira's mom, Nancy."

Will retreats while Hyacinth gestures for me to take a seat in one of the elegant leather chairs in front of her desk.

"So, Moira," Hyacinth says while I get settled, "Will tells me that you're something of a seamstress."

"He did?" I cough and reach for my glass for a sip of the crisp, citrusy water. 

It's sweet that Will mentioned my passion to his mother, but my heart sinks at the thought of my beloved sewing machine in some yucky pawn shop. 

"Did you make that dress you have on?" Hyacinth asks.

"I did," I glance down at the wrap dress I'd thrown on for our meeting. "It's modeled after Diane Von Furstenberg's iconic design."

I'm eye-level with the only framed photo on Hyacinth's desk. In the slightly faded picture, a much younger Will and his sister are on a beach in front of a large sandcastle. It looks like a very happy memory that I hope to hear about one day. 

"You have great taste," Hyacinth nods her approval. "Now, I'm sure you're wondering why I asked for this meeting."

"Yes."

"Can we keep this between you and me?" She asks. 

"Of course," I mimic zipping my lips.

"Good," Hyacinth chuckles. "I asked Will why he wanted to have your mother placed in our Second Chances program, but I never expected him to answer. He's a very private person, even with me, or perhaps, especially with me because I'm his mother." 

That offhanded comment makes me snort unattractively. 

"Instead," Hyacinth went on. "My son told me that he'd fallen for a wonderful woman who happened to be a student of his. I wasn't excited about the obvious ethical dilemma he was facing, but I was elated to learn that you inspired my son to pursue a different career. Between you, me, and the wall? He was miserable teaching. So, thank you, Moira." 

Happy tears soak my cheeks during Hyacinth's wonderful words. 

"Thank you, Hye," I choke out (though it feels weird to call Will's mom by her nickname). "For helping us and for saving my mom. She's all I have left." 

"Yes, we should discuss your mother's case," Hyacinth's brassy voice grows softer. She plucks a box of tissues from a low set of shelves behind her desk so I can blow my snotty nose. "Your mother is going to get the best care available. We've already got her paperwork, so my staff will begin making calls to her probation officer and the courts. There will of course be some legal counseling that we're going to have to do because of the situation, but Will is going to take care of that."

My jaw actually comes unhinged at this news.

"So, I take it you didn't know that Will has his license to practice law?" Hyacinth chuckles with a knowing bob of her head. "After passing the bar and receiving multiple offers from top firms all over Seattle, Will decided to take some time off and try teaching. He is volunteering his time for your mom's case, and I know I'm his mother, but I can honestly say that she's in good hands with Will's help."

I don't know what stars in the Universe have aligned, but right now, I feel like the luckiest woman in the world, and it's all because of one incredible man (and his mother).

"I don't even know how to thank you," I wipe away more tears to probably smear my mascara.

"You just did," Hyacinth winks. "Actually, there is one more thing."

She sits back to steeple her hands over her desktop keyboard as if we're about to start negotiations.  

"I'm sure my son told you about our family history," her distinguished features crease with concern. "Will acts as if he's fine, but I know he's haunted by his past. I suspect that you understand his experience in a way that I never could. I take a lot of comfort in that."

"If you don't mind me asking?" I reply with a tiny gulp. "Why don't you have the same last name as Will?"

"I took my maiden name when my kids were over eighteen," Hyacinth smiles. "I think my son wanted to distance himself from my family's money. He has always been uncomfortable with the advantages afforded him by the Smithe name."

"You raised an extraordinary man," I answer. 

"Thank you," Hyacinth dipped her chin. "I take as much selfish pride as I can when someone tells me that my kid turned out well. Are you ready to see your mom and where she'll be staying?"

"Yes, please," I breathe. "That would be wonderful." 

We rise and walk together to find Will in a bright, airy room near the front foyer. He's seated across a small rosewood table from my mom playing checkers.

Will's head pops up as soon as he hears his mother's laughter. 

"Hey," he stands and heads for us with his eyes locked on mine. "Everything alright?" 

"Yes, everything's amazing, actually," I assure him as Will wraps his strong arms around my waist for a hug. "Mom? How are you?"

"Will is beating me at checkers," my mom frowns. "But I think I'm going to like it here."

My mom's smile is tight but there's a glint of determination in her tired eyes. She's terrified of this place, though, I can tell. 

"I think you will too, mom," I place my hand on her tiny arm. 

"We don't believe in visiting hours, so feel free to drop by anytime," Hyacinth assures us as she offers my mom a manicured hand. "I'm Hye Smithe, the director here at Serenity Rose. It's nice to meet you, Nancy."

"Thank you, Hye," My mom's lower lip quivers dangerously. "For everything."

My mom is safe and she's in the hands of caring professionals, and for the first time in my life, I'm on my own. 

I swallow against the lump in my throat when I think about the empty trailer waiting for me. 

"Call me if you need anything," I tell my mom. "Or if I forgot something when I packed for you." 

"I'm sure you packed everything I need," my mom smiles encouragingly. "You don't need to worry, honey. I'll be fine." 

I clamp my mouth shut to keep from crying and nod. 

On the drive back to Auburn, I called my grandparents to tell them the good news. I should ask Will about his secret lawyer status, but I'm too overwhelmed with happiness to unpack that just yet. 

When Will walks me to the front door of our trailer, he leans in to give me a sweet kiss on the top of the head. Over his shoulder, I saw a large olive green Astro van come peeling into the trailer park headed straight for us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

974 311 32
"You fucking don't know anything about me so stop acting like you do!". "At least I can state that you've got everything you ever wanted Trevor. yo...
38.4M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
2.4K 90 9
She's a struggling single mother who wanted to get her life back on track but she couldn't do so while worrying for her daughter safety,she had no fa...
1.6K 34 8
*Featured book* [HIGHEST RANKING : #1 IN #controlfreak ] " I HATE YOU".. trying to hide my tears by taking a step back and suddenly felt his hand gr...