Bring Me To Life | The Origin...

By BehindGrayEyes

Bring Me To Life » She Built A World Of Magic, Because Her Real Life Was Tragic After the events of the Harve... More

Introduction
Edits
Prologue »
House of the Rising Son
Tangled Up In Blue
Girl In New Orleans
Sinners and Saints
Fruit of the Poisoned Tree
Friends with Chocolate (And Alcohol)
Bloodletting
The River in Reverse
A Drop In The Ocean, A Change In The Weather
The Casket Girls
Après Moi Le Déluge
Wake Me Up When It's All Over
Dance Back From The Grave
If It's Not Okay, Then It's Not Over
You Might've Won the Battle, But Not the Entire War
Long Way Back From Hell
Le Grand Guignol
Farewell to Storyville
Always Darkest Before the Dawn
Difficult Roads Lead to Beautiful Destinations (Hypothetically)
Moon Over Bourbon Street
The Big Uneasy
An Unblinking Death
It's Our Paradise, It's Our Warzone, And It's Our Home
On This Night, And In This Light
Sometimes Reality Is Better Than Dreams
The Battle of New Orleans
Authors Note
Letters to an Innocent
From a Cradle to a Grave
The End of the Beginning

A Closer Walk With Thee

9.8K 256 42
By BehindGrayEyes

A/N: All sections written in italics are hallucinations.

Grief; deep sorrow, especially that caused by someone's death.

Everybody experienced it differently; some buried it deep down within themselves and refused to acknowledge the pain, masking it with a layer of denial. While others basked in the reminder of the past, they celebrated the life that the deceased had lived and clung to those they loved in case they were the next to fall. There was no right way to handle the pain because when you lose someone, it stays with you, like a permanent wound carved on your heart, a constant reminder of how easy it could be to lose someone else in your life.

Rousseau's was packed to the brim with members of the community who were mourning the loss of Father Kieran by participating in an Irish-style wake in his honour, complete with Irish music playing loudly over the speakers and lots of alcohol flowing freely from bottles. People gathered around to share stories of Father Kieran, only speaking of him in the highest respect, and celebrating his life with laughter and excessive amounts of booze.

Klaus Mikaelson glared absently at his glass of scotch where he sat alone in a booth in the corner of Rousseau's, swirling the amber liquid and ignored the wake going on around him. His mind was plagued with the memory of the nightmare that he had suffered through earlier that morning, the image of Mikael impaling him was imprinted on the back of his eyelids. He thought he could distract himself into forgetting about the dream; that was the main reason for disturbing Elijah and Imogen so early in the morning, an added benefit was irritating his brother. But even the newly acquired grimoire and his brother's support wasn't enough to derail the nightmare plaguing the hybrid's mind.

"Hey! Earth to you!" a familiar voice interrupted his silence as he snapped his head up and his gaze immediately landed on Camille, who was now sitting on the opposite side of the booth.

Klaus sucked in a sharp breath as his gaze traced over the wound that graced her face and he lowered his empty glass as he muttered under his breath, "Your face –"

"– Will heal." she finished for him in a firm tone of voice as she waved a hand dismissively and he adverted his eyes as he sculled the last of his scotch before she continued, "Listen, I wanted to thank you –"

"Unless you've come equipped with the means to fill this, no additional platitudes are necessary." he interrupted her midsentence as he held up his empty glass without making eye contact and she furrowed her eyebrows in concern as she leaned her folded arms on the table in front of her.

"Okay... I'm in a crap mood because my uncle just died, and people are partying like its Mardi Gras. What's your excuse?" she asked him in a slightly flippant tone of voice as she quirked an eyebrow at him and he scowled to himself as he gazed across the bar to avoid her eyes. "Klaus, seriously, what's going on?"

"I've been having these dreams about my dead father. No diagnosis necessary, love. I've already got this one covered: my fears of fatherhood, of scarring my child as my father scarred me, are manifesting as nightmares." he deduced on his own in a bitter voice as he offered her a fake smile and he shook his head as he swallowed the last of his scotch in one long pull. "It's horrifically cliché."

"Truthfully? I'm just surprised to hear you acknowledge out loud that you're going to be a dad. Your baby mama has been living out in the bayou for months, it's not exactly What To Expect When You're Expecting." Cami commented idly as she cocked her head to the side with a half-smile on her lips and he sighed in resignation as he placed his empty glass down on the tabletop. His gaze absently wandered across the bar where Marcel was entering and he sucked in a breath when he was met with familiar dark brown eyes, holding a hint of misery he was sure was reflected in his own.

"I know more about the trials of fatherhood than you might imagine, Camille."

"And it worked out for you so well the first time, why change a thing?" she asked sarcastically with a roll of her eyes when she noticed where his attention had turned and she gave him a pointed look as she stood up from the bench.

Klaus closed his eyes for a brief moment, letting the memories of the past wash over him and he grimaced as he recalled the words he had spoken to Marcel so many years ago: 'Family can be more than just those with whom we share blood. We can choose.' It was those words that had cemented Marcel's fate, that welcomed him into fold and that was the moment everything changed between them. The hybrid scoffed to himself as he grabbed a glass of scotch from a waiter's passing tray and he slouched down lower in the booth, glaring blankly at the tabletop as he continued to sip his drink.

The sound of glass hitting glass erupted over the noise of the bar and everyone's attention was drawn to the dark-skinned man that had climbed on top of the bar counter. Marcel offered the gathered crowd a grin as he held up a glass in one hand and a bottle of scotch in the other as he inclined his head in greeting to the masses.

"I know I haven't been around these parts lately. It's a testament to Father Kieran that we could come together and share a drink, and a story or two. Kieran rolled into town on a rusty old cruiser after his daddy died twenty-five years ago. And damnit, that guy could party!" the former king stated with a chuckle as he shook his head, causing the audience laughed softly along with him and he bit his lip for  a moment before he continued with a smile on his lips, "That was, of course, before he took his vows. But, even then, he was committed to the Quarter. He knew that this town needed him. And, we still do." he finished solemnly as he made eye contact with Cami across the room and she smiled shakily with tears in her eyes as he raised his glass in the air, "To Father K!"

"To Father K." the audience murmured quietly in return as they copied the gesture and Cami discreetly wiped the tears from her eyes as she departed from the disbanding group. The ambiance was slightly overwhelming as she hurried into the backroom for some privacy and everyone continued parting in honour of the man of the hour.

Marcel sighed sadly as he kept his gaze locked on the blonde's retreating back and then climbed down from the counter of the bar once she was out of sight. He took a long pull of the scotch bottle in his hand before setting it down on the bar and pouring himself a glass of the amber liquid. While vampirism had many positive attributes and many negative traits, one of the few that was a combination of the both was immortality. Eternal living gave you amble opportunities but out living the ones you love was the ultimate definition of a curse. It was painful existence.

The former king sculled the glass of scotch before slamming it down on the countertop and he stiffened when he felt a hand press against his back as he closed his eyes. He felt hot breath on the side of his neck as rage boiled inside of him and he curled his hands into fists on the counter as he clenched his jaw. He was about to open his mouth to snap at whomever it was but the familiar scent of vanilla assaulted him and he immediately relaxed under her touch as she pressed a sloppy kiss on his cheek.

"Hello, handsome." Imogen greeted him with a sedate expression as she took a step back and he turned around to face her as he leaned his elbows on the counter behind him. He took a moment to look over the modest black outfit with a smirk on his lips and she glared at him until he held his hands in surrender.

"Good. Come here, I'm sorry about your friend." she told him sincerely as she pulled him into a tight embrace, guilt marring her features and he melted into her touch as he allowed himself to grieve for the loss of his friend.

While he could be himself with his followers, his friends, he was the leader and it fell on his shoulders to maintain morale so he couldn't seem weak or vulnerable but he didn't need to do that with Imogen. The witch had seen him broken down in tears, enraged until the point he could see red and all she did was patiently wait for him to calm down and held him while he cried into her shoulder. Imogen was the one person he could count on through everything, they had their differences but he knew she would never betray him. They were family.

Marcel pulled back from the embrace enough to press a kiss to her forehead and she smiled slightly as she took the glass of scotch out of his hand with an innocent smile on her lips. He mocked glared at her in response as he reached over the bar counter to grab an empty glass and she giggled under her breath as she took a sip of the burning liquid while he poured another glass. His gaze strayed towards the doors that led to the backroom of the establishment as a sigh escaped him and Imogen followed his gaze with a frown until she realised what must have caused his attention to drift.

"You should go check on her. She needs someone." The witch murmured sadly as she lowered her head guiltily and Marcel placed a hand on her shoulder sympathetically as he shook his head in denial. She offered him a wane smile as she took a step backwards so that his hand dropped to his side and she glanced over her shoulder before turning back to face as she continued, "Just go, okay? I'm fine. Go be with Cami for the both of us."

Imogen leaned up to press a kiss on his cheek and then quickly hurried away before he could say anything in an attempt to change her mind on the matter. The sound of her high heels on the floor was lost among the chatter and laughter that was taking place in the bar, masking her footsteps as she casually searched the room for any familiar faces. She had arrived at the wake arm in arm with Elijah moments before Marcel's speech to the masses, the both of them dressed in mourning black and she had opted not to wear any make up in case she started crying at the drop of a hat like she had been doing since the night before. Elijah, of course, had been patient and accommodating whenever she broke down in tears, calmly holding her in his arms and soothing her fears with kind words spoken in soft whispers.

Earlier that morning had been a milestone in their relationship. It marked the occasion of their first fight, granted it only lasted ten minutes, but it contained raised voices and differing opinions on whether or not it was appropriate to illegally break into your girlfriend's apartment and deface the structure of her apartment by installing a wall safe without her knowing. In the end Imogen agreed to concede that a wall safe would be beneficial and Elijah agreed that he wouldn't permanent change anything in her apartment without first discussing it with her. After that they had made out on her couch like teenagers until he responsibly decided to cook them breakfast so they would still have time to get ready and they wouldn't be late to the wake.

Imogen glanced around the crowded bar, searching for Elijah and Klaus since she knew they would be together somewhere probably drowning their sorrows in alcohol. It crossed her mind what a good thing it was that they couldn't do any damage to their livers with the amount of alcohol they consumed on the daily basis. A fleeting smile speared on her lips when she caught sight of them sitting in a secluded booth in a dark corner of the bar and she automatically changed the direction she was walking.

There wasn't much talking going on between the brothers as they drank scotch together without a word; Klaus was slouched down low on the bench with a brooding expression as he glared at the amber liquid in his glass and Elijah glanced around absently with an expression of indifference while periodically sipping his drink.

Neither of them glanced at her as she approached and she quirked an eyebrow at them as she slid into the seat beside Elijah, stealing his glass from his hand. Both the Originals brother's turned their attention towards her as she took a sip of the drink and Klaus smirked faintly in her direction while Elijah draped an arm on the back of the seat behind her head. Elijah pressed a kiss to her temple as he took poured some scotch from the bottle into the empty glass he had procured the bar before sitting down and she accepted it with a small smile on her lips.

"Seems rather uncivilized to laugh and dance around the body of a loved one." Klaus mused out loud as he glanced around the crowded bar in distaste, swirling the amber liquid around his glass absentmindedly.

Elijah rolled his oak brown eyes subtly at his brother's words as he refilled his now empty glass, amusement evident on his features as he remarked drily, "Yes, far better to practice your process of grief, Niklaus – denial, rage, and hoarding coffins in basements."

The witch sitting next to him breathed out a chuckle as he settled back against the booth with his drink in hand, allowing his free hand to brush against her bare shoulder teasingly in the process. She automatically leaned into his side in response, it wasn't a conscious thought but more of an instinctively manoeuvre, like she had done it a million times before. Klaus rolled his eyes subtly at his older brother's dig at his hypocrisy but didn't bother arguing the point as he continued to sulk and sip his scotch without another word to either of them.

Imogen caught sight of a familiar werewolf entering the bar and watched for a moment as Hayley glanced around like she was searching for someone in particular. The moment her gaze landed on the booth she started making her way towards them with a purposeful stride, dodging other partygoers who got in her way. It appeared like her heavily pregnant stomach acted like a protective barrier because everyone seemed to step out of her path the moment she entered their eye line. The werewolf huffed in annoyance as she threw herself down on the bench next to Imogen, glowering at one particular intoxicated man who had attempted to touch her stomach without permission.

"I will warn you, Hayley, Niklaus is in a spectacularly foul mood today." Elijah quipped honestly as he brought his glass closer to his lips, his oak brown eyes scrutinising his brother's features as he took a sip.

"Sod off." Klaus grumbled under his breath as he refilled his empty glass and Imogen frowned in concerned as she discreetly studied his darkened expression, the psychologist inside of her listing all of the symptoms he seemed to be presenting.

Hayley narrowed her eyes as she looked between the two brothers in confusion but she decided to ignore the tension as she folded her arms over her chest and turned her attention to the hybrid across the table. "What's the deal with these moonlight rings? Oliver's trying to set a revolution every five seconds. People are scared, angry, and frankly, I'm tired of stalling."

"It's a day of peace, Hayley. Try and enjoy it. And, in the meantime, with all manner of unknown enemies conspiring against our family, you'll move back in with us."

"Awesome! Then, we can do that thing where you lock me in the tower, I escape, there's drama, and then you two both realize I'm very capable of looking after myself."

"The rings are in progress. I will live up to my word. We will find and punish whoever launched the attack on the Bayou, and you will return to the compound for your own safety!" he snapped in frustration as he glared at her heatedly, tightening his grip on the empty glass in his hand until it was in danger of breaking and the werewolf rolled her eyes with a sigh but didn't argue anymore. "But, right now – "he continued solemnly as he grabbed the bottle of scotch from the centre of the table and popped open the top, " – I'm gonna finish this bottle, and the next, in the hopes of drowning the demon who has chosen today to haunt me." he grumbled in annoyance as he tilted his head back to look up at the ceiling before chugging straight from the bottle and then slamming it down on the tabletop, causing Imogen to jumped slightly at the sudden sound. "Cheers, Mikael. Impeccable, Freudian timing."

Imogen snapped her head around in shocked concern as she felt Elijah stiffen next to her and his arm tightened around her shoulders as he leaned forward in an attempt to meet his brother's eyes but Klaus kept his gaze locked on his glass. The tension was radiating off of the oldest Mikaelson so Imogen rested her hand on his thigh, silently reminding him that she was there with him, that he wasn't alone.

There was a lot about the Mikaelson family that was still a mystery and Imogen was self-aware enough to know that it always would be, no matter how long she was in their acquaintance. A thousand years was a long time to create memories, it was hundreds of lifetimes, but she knew enough to know that the subject of Mikael was taboo unless one of the siblings brought him up in conversation. In a strange occurrence, Klaus was the most open about the subject; he would ask the witch out for a drink with the sole purpose of discussing the man he called father because he knew that she would be the one to understand the complicated relationship he had with the man. Elijah had mentioned him in passing, never divulging too many details on the subject, but just enough that she had a vague concept from his point of view.

"Elaborate." Elijah demanded harsher than he meant to but he was far too stunned to filter his tone, distracted by the feel of Imogen's hand on his thigh as he tried to find something to anchor him to the present. "Have you dreamt of our father?"

"Go ahead, have a good laugh." Klaus muttered bitterly as he lifted his head to glare at his brother and Elijah held up a hand to stop any further comments as he leaned forward to catch his brother's eye.

"I can assure you there is no piece of this that I find even remotely amusing, Niklaus. Especially considering I've been dreaming of him, too."

"What?"

"That's what your nightmare was about this morning?" Imogen asked in concern as she placed her hand on the side of Elijah's neck, her thumb grazing the underside of his jaw as he nodded his head in answer. She left her hand resting there as she sifted through the information in her mind; it was an unlikely coincidence that both brothers would be haunted by the nightmare of their father in the same night. "If you are both seeing him..."

The sentence trailed off mid-thought when her gaze landed on the redheaded witch entering Rousseau's and Elijah followed her gaze in concern, his expression contorting in distaste when he recognised the witch. A spark of realisation flashed through his oak brown eyes as Genevieve caught his eyes from across the room with a small smile evident on her lips and he instinctively tightened his arm around Imogen as he continued her thought out loud in a grim tone of voice, "Perhaps our elusive, unknown enemy is orchestrating a further attack?"

Klaus frowned to himself in confusion before following their gazes to the other side of the bar, wondering what actually had caught their attention and realisation dawned on him as he met the eyes of his ex-lover across the room. A small smile spread across Genevieve's lips as she glanced down shyly, fluttering her eyelashes flirtatiously and he smirked slightly while wiggling his fingers in greeting as he spoke softly for only the people at the table to hear him, "Well, then. What better way to punctuate a day of peace than by killing someone?"

Silence settled over the assembled group as all four of them watched the redhead disappear into the crowd. The tension between them palpable, almost physically pulsating between them like an ebbing river. Hayley shifted uncomfortably on the bench, unsure what exactly she was supposed to do and she glanced towards Imogen, hoping for some kind of instruction or signal as to what to do. The witch in question was rolling her eyes in exasperation, not bothered by the direction the conversation had taken.

"Okay, while you two go torture a witch for answers, I'm going to go make sure my best friend doesn't hate me for killing her uncle." Imogen said nonchalantly as she shuffled towards the edge of the bench, causing Hayley to stand up so that she could finish standing up from booth. A look of horror spread across her features when she was halfway standing and she stopped moving completely as she muttered under her breath in disgust, "God, my life is so messed up."

The witch shook her head to herself with a sigh as she climbed to her feet, ignoring the reaction the others were having to words; Hayley's amused chuckle as she retook her seat, the slight smirk that spread across Klaus' lips and the faint smile that matched the loving glint in Elijah's oak brown eyes. Imogen pivoted on her toes to face the table with a smile on her lips and she blew the collective group a kiss before spinning away from them to flounce through the gathered crowd. Anyone who didn't know the witch would believe the careless demeanour she adopted but the people who loved her, who knew her on a deeper level, could see the tension in her shoulders.

Sometimes it was hard to believe she was the same girl who had given up her childhood in order to protect her sister, that she was stronger than most people ever had to be, that she was merely acting so carefree. She was so brave and quiet that it was easy to forget that she had suffered, that she was still suffering the repercussion of the past and that she would be forced to live with those memories for the rest of her life. There was an undeniable lightness that surrounded her in spite of all she had been through and a contagious exuberance that cascaded over to everyone that interacted with the witch.

Dread settled heavily in Imogen's stomach as she searched the crowd for a familiar head of blonde hair, her fingers constantly fidgeting in an uncharacteristic nervous gesture. She hadn't seen Cami since that afternoon in the church, the afternoon that Imogen had murdered her uncle in the name of self-defence. It wasn't often that she felt anxious but Cami had become such an important part of her life in such a short amount of time and she didn't want to lose that friendship, especially after losing the one girl friend she had ever had. Cami had been so supportive through everything, doubly so once she learned the truth about the supernatural, and it was heartbreaking that she couldn't return the favour and be there for the blonde when she needed someone to lean on.

Imogen could literally feel her heart beating frantically in the confines of her chest as she hesitantly approached the coffin where Cami was sitting vigil. There was an obvious sadness that emitted from the human as she glanced around the establishment, almost like she was searching for something or someone in the crowd. Her blue eyes were guarded as she bit her lower lip nervously until her gaze landed on the familiar brunette making her way towards her and she gasped brokenly as she immediately stood up from her seat. The witch felt like she was frozen in place as her eyes prickled with tears, fear of rejection coursing through her veins but all of that was forgotten as Cami quickly closed the distance between them and pulled her into a tight embrace.

All of the tension drained out of her body as she melted into her best friends arms with a sigh of relief, her eyelids fluttering closed as she clung to the human. The heavy weight on her heart eased slightly as she felt Cami shudder against her and she squeezed tighter, attempting to meld the cracked pieces of her soul back together by sheer force of will.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, Cami. I'm sorry." The witch choked out brokenly, desperation seeping into her voice as she squeezed her eyes closed tightly in an effort to stop the tears from flooding her eyes. She didn't deserve to cry about this, isn't wasn't her loss, it wasn't her hurt to feel, and that just made her feel more guilty. A single teardrop escaped the corner of her eye, rolling down her cheek and she sniffled slightly as she tried to hold back any more from escaping her eyes.

"Hey, hey, come on. It's okay." Cami whispered quietly when she felt her friend's shoulders heave a little as she tried to suppress the urge to sob and she held onto tighter, trying to hold back her own tears.

"Please forgive me."

Camille strained to hear the whimpered plea but froze completely the moment the words registered in her mind and she realised the why Imogen had been keeping her distance in the wake of what happened. Those three words, the guilt that saturated them, cut her deep to the core and she hated that her friend was shouldering the blame for what happened to her uncle. Imogen had been through so much, there was so much guilt and remorse and responsibility on her shoulders for someone so young. It wasn't fair that she was blaming herself for something that wasn't her fault; and it wasn't, Cami was positive about that more than anything.

"There's nothing to forgive. My Kieran, my uncle, was already gone. That – that monster wasn't my uncle. You did what you had to do in order to survive. It's not your fault. There's nothing to forgive." she assured the brunette passionately as she pulled back to look at the witch in the eye, making sure she could see the truth on her face if she couldn't believe her words.

Imogen nodded solemnly with a grim smile on her lips as she clasped hands with the human and tears glistened in her bright blue eyes but none of them trickled over as she held herself together. She breathed out a laugh as she wiped under her eyes with the back of her fingers and offered her friend an apologetic smile as she murmured softly, "God. I'm sorry. This isn't about me. How are you doing?"

The two of them kept their hands clasped together as they took a seat next to the casket, Cami drawing strength from her friend's solid presence next to her and she exhaled slowly as she deliberated on how to answer such a loaded question. Her immediate response was to lie, to say that she was fine, but she knew that Imogen would see right through her façade and more importantly, she didn't feel the need to hide her emotions from her friend. It might have been the fact that Imogen was also studying psychology and was equipped to handle the truth, or maybe it was because whatever she was feeling in that moment, she knew that Imogen had probably dealt with worse. They both knew the mass amounts of pain that came with losing a sibling, there was an understanding and an empathy between them that couldn't be described to anyone who hadn't experienced the same.

"It hurts. It hurts so much. I know that there's nothing we could've done, but it still hurts." Cami admitted slowly, wishing that her voice hadn't cracked on the last word and tears burned her eyes as she lowered her head so that her blonde hair curtained her face from view of the others mourners.

Imogen tightened her grip on the human's hand, a silent reminder that she was there and she waited a moment for her friend to compose herself before she spoke in a soft compassionate tone, "Sometimes suffering is just...suffering. It doesn't build character, and it doesn't make you stronger, it just hurts. But the truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself for something you couldn't control, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realise that the situation is over, you'll never be able to move forward. You'll be stuck in the same place forever."

Cami nodded solemnly in agreement as she leaned into her friends embrace, closing her eyes as she allowed herself to take comfort in the witch's presence and Imogen wrapped her arms arounds the other girl as the weight of guilt lifted off of her chest. It was liberating to know that her relationship with Camille wasn't in jeopardy and that she could be there for her friend when she needed someone, because that was what concerned her the most; that Cami wouldn't have the support she deserved in her time of need.

"Well, don't you two look all sorts of adorable all snuggled up together." a familiar voice cooed mockingly with a hint of obvious affection, causing both girls to open their eyes to glare at the grinning man standing in front of them.

"Shut up, Marcel." the girls coursed in unison as Cami lifted her head from Imogen's shoulder and he chuckled in amusement as he took the remaining seat to the humans left side, lifting her legs onto his lap so she was more comfortable.

The sound of a cell phone chiming interrupted the moment and Imogen hummed in realisation as she reached to grab the offending device from her purse. She grimaced apologetically to her friends as she read Klaus's name on the caller ID and she rolled her eyes as she answered the call, holding the phone up to her ear as she greeted him drily, "You better not be calling for help disposing of a body. I'm not dressed for it."

Cami and Marcel both looked at her in amused bafflement as she leaned down to press a kiss to each of their cheeks, knowing that whatever the hybrid wanted it would probably put an end to her time with her friends. Neither of them complained as she waved to them before heading through the crowd towards the door to the bar, knowing that she would only help cover up a murder for someone she loved and nothing they said could persuade her from helping someone she loved if they needed it.

"It's nice to know your choice in attire is the only thing preventing you from becoming a conspirator in murder, but I'm afraid that wasn't the purpose of this phone call." Klaus mused nonchalantly through the phone line as the witch pushed open the bar door, squinting her eyes at the sudden sunlight that bathed her when she stepped outside. "It appears that Genevieve isn't the one who has been dabbling in our dreams."

"Don't tell me you trust her word?"

"Only a fool would. But, she certainly wants us to, doesn't she?"

"So, what now? What's your diabolical plan 'B'?"

"What? Me? Diabolical plan? Never!" he cried in mock indignation and she could practically hear the smirk on his voice through the phone line. Her mouth crinkled in disbelief as she scoffed out loud, not even bothering to argue with him because neither of them believed the lie in the least. A genuine laugh came from the hybrid, a sound that was so unfamiliar that it took her a moment to realise that it was coming from the phone. A warmth spread through her chest, a deep affection for the hybrid, when she realised that she was one of the few people on earth that was privileged to be on the receiving end of his genuine happiness.

"Just tell where I'm meant to be meeting you. I'll come up with a diabolical plan 'B' on the way there." she teased confidently with a smirk on her lips as she absently started walking down the street towards the Abattoir, her internal compass automatically steering her in that direction.

"Elijah and I are currently at the compound, sifting through tombs of literature, trying to find a needle in a haystack." he told her in an irritated tone as she heard the faint sound of glass clinking on the other side of the phone call, indicating that he was pouring himself a drink rather than searching through any books. "Once you've arrived, I'm going to call an acquaintance that might have some idea what's going on with the Otherside."

"A witch?"

"An ex-witch. I believe she's now the anchor to the Otherside. If anyone knows what is going on over there, it will be Bonnie Bennett."

"You know a Bennett witch?"

"I know a Bennett that used to be a witch." he mused with a touch of dry amusement in his voice and she could picture the superior smirk on his lips as she suppressed the urge to defend her species because: once a witch, always a witch.

"I'm on my way." she said shortly before hanging up with a roll of her eyes, knowing that he would attempt to prolong the phone call so that he wouldn't have to go back to work looking through the tombs. Imogen glowered at the sun overhead as she pulled her long brunette hair up into a loose bun on the top of her head, hating the way some the tendrils stuck to the nape of her neck. She slipped her cell phone into her purse as she quickened her pace towards the Abattoir, eager to get out of the heat before the parade later that afternoon.

Imogen hadn't had the privilege of knowing Kieran O'Connell on a personal level but she knew he was a good man and that he had been playing a large role in her life without her knowing that he was doing so. He was the one who informed Marcel of the Harvest ritual, he was the one who kept Davina's location a secret from the other witches, he was the who did everything in his power to help and protect the humans of New Orleans.

Kieran O'Connell was an unsung hero, and she wanted to honour his memory the only way she could.

The Abattoir stood proudly in front of her as she hurried inside, dodging the people passing on the sidewalk out front and she immediately breathed a sigh of relief once she out of sight. It was impossible to pinpoint the exactly moment she became more comfortable among the living dead than the living but she couldn't deny that being in the presence of vampires, at least those she considered friends made it easy for her to relax. The logical part of her brain scolded her for becoming compliant in the presence of someone who could snap her like a twig without a second thought but the emotional part of her brain argued that her friends were more likely to kill something in her honour than they were to kill her. It didn't escape her attention that she was more than capable of protecting herself, that she had on more than one occasion.

All of her life she had been keeping a part of herself hidden from the world; she was forced her keep her magic a secret from her human friends who weren't knowledgeable about the supernatural and the other witches in the coven weren't tolerant of her sympathy towards the vampire species, and while she was never quiet about her opinions, she never felt truly accepted. She didn't feel like she had to hide any part of herself with the Mikaelson's, maybe it was because no matter what she said she knew that they'd said worse in their extended lifetime.

"You bloody well know who this is!" she heard Klaus shout angrily in frustration somewhere inside the compound and she quickened her pace as she rushed in the direction his voice came from, hoping to get to him before something was thrown against a wall. She pushed open the double doors to his art studio without breaking her pace and she saw him pacing the length of the room with his cell held against his ear, an irritated scowl marring his handsome features.

Some people might have might have found the sight of an angered hybrid daunting but Imogen barely suppressed a roll of her eyes as she strolled into the room, tossing her purse carelessly onto one of the chaise lounges. She stepped in front of him, halting his process in the middle of the room and he glowered at her in annoyance but she merely quirked an eyebrow at him without a word. She reached up to take the phone from his hand, moving slowly like he was an animal she was trying not to frighten. He relented his grip on the device with a roll of his blue eyes and was rewarded with a dazzling smile as she gently pushed him backwards until he collapsed onto the lounge.

Imogen held the phone up to her ear as she made her way towards the makeshift bar in the corner and she made sure her voice was light and friendly in comparison to the annoyed hybrid, making her the better option to speak with. "Hello. Please excuse him. Apparently a thousand on the planet doesn't give you manners. I'm Imogen Claire, an associate of the Mikaelson's. I'm phoning on their behalf."

"Um, hello?" a startling young female voice greeted her from the other side of the phone line and she couldn't help smiling at the uncertainty that was placed on the one word. "I'm Bonnie Bennett."

"A pleasure. I've heard impressive things about your family. You see, I'm also witch, although I practice ancestral magic here in New Orleans."

"If Klaus already has a witch, why does he need me?" Bonnie asked defensively in a hard tone as Imogen poured some scotch into a tumbler glass and she couldn't help but wonder what had happened between them, why the other witch felt so distrustful.

"I see we've had a breakdown in communication. It seems I've arrived just in time." She stated in amusement as she lifted the glass of scotch from the bar counter and carried it over to a pouting Klaus, handing it to him with a smirk on her lips. He offered her a small upturn of his lips as he accepted the drink and she sat down next to him on the lounge so that he could hear the conversation with his heightened hearing. "I can see where you'd be confused, given that he didn't use any variation of the words 'Klaus', 'please' or 'favour', but we only need some information about the Otherside and given your position, we figured you'd be the best person to ask."

"The Otherside...the Otherside is imploding." she replied shakily on the side of the phone line as her voice wavered slightly at the beginning of her sentence and Imogen felt her eyes widen in shock as she turned towards the man sitting next to her, his startled expression matching her own. "A traveller on the Otherside cause a rip in the fabric that held it together, allowing him to escape. But now everything and everyone is getting sucked into oblivion, and there's no way to stop it. It's just...disintegrating. Because the veil is thinning, the supernatural on the Otherside are able to interact with our world."

A moment of shocked silence fell over them, so quiet it was almost possible to hear the wheels turning inside their minds and Imogen jumped slightly when Klaus suddenly grabbed her wrist, lowering the phone from her ear so he could speak into the device. There was a seriousness mixed with dread in his voice as his eyebrows drew together and he avoided her confused gaze as he asked with the utmost importance, "Bonnie, when that does occur, what happens to you?"

Imogen frowned in confusion at the question, wondering why he cared about the wellbeing of this girl when she knew that he genuinely only cared for a select few and most of them were his family. She pressed the speakerphone button so that she could listen to the answer out of curiosity and she grew even more confused by the situation when she heard Bonnie's incredulously, "Why do you care?"

It was utterly fascinating to watch the hard exterior settle over Klaus' features, like someone closing the shutters of a window and she hesitantly reached over to grab his hand when he abruptly dropped her wrist from his hold. She didn't why the answer concerned him but it seemed important, enough that he was willing to risk Bonnie sensing his vulnerability and she was aware that he wouldn't dare take that risk unless he deemed it necessary. He snapped his head up to glare at her, almost like he had forgotten about her presence and she refused to cower under his intimidating stare as she simply took the phone back from him without letting go of his hand.

"Bonnie, he was asking on my behalf. I was shell-shocked by the revelation and was speechless for a moment. As a witch, I find travellers in general disturbing, but what you've just told us...it was on another level." she stated calmly in a nonchalant tone of voice without breaking eye contact with the hybrid next to her, stretching the truth for her own purposes and his eyes clouded with gratitude as her lips quirked into a small smile in response.

"Oh. Well...because I'm technically dead, living on both sides of the veil, when the Otherside goes, I go with it."

Silence engulfed them, a sorrow filled quiet that echoed off of the walls of the studio and Imogen glanced at Klaus from the corner of her eyes in a mixture of curiosity and concern. His lips were turned down in a small frown, his eyebrows furrowed as though he was in pain and the grip he had on her hand subconsciously tightened as he gazed absentmindedly at the floor.

"Thank you, Bonnie. I'm sorry about your situation. If there's anything you need...please don't hesitate to ask." Imogen told her sincerely, somehow knowing that Klaus wanted to make the offer but something wouldn't allow him to and she was completely fine being his spokeswoman on the matter.

A vague confirmation was heard through the phone line before Bonnie hung up and Imogen desperately wanted to ask the question that was burning on the tip of her tongue but called upon every ounce of her will power to refrain.

Imogen knew enough about Niklaus to know that he would respond well to someone prying into his psyche, even someone well-meaning and it would only push him further away. So she stayed silent as she took the empty glass from his hand and stood up from the longue, ignoring the burning sensation of his eyes on her back. Perhaps if she waited long enough he would come to the conclusion that she was trustworthy on his own, without any encouragement or reinforcement.

Klaus watched intently as she placed the empty glass down on the bar countertop, trying to decipher the expression on her and the thoughts that ran through her mind. He was aware that she was confused by his sudden interest in the Bennett witch's wellbeing but she didn't hesitate to create a feasible story in order to keep his reputation in tack when he fumbled for an excuse when Bonnie questioned his intentions. It should have caused an alarm to go off in his mind, making him question her motives but for some reason he only felt a mixture of relief and gratitude towards the witch.

"There's someone I – " he started unsurely but then paused for a moment to think of the correct terminology, of how to phrase how he felt about a certain blonde vampire, before continuing, " – care for in Mystic Falls that cares for Bonnie."

Imogen remained completely still for a moment with her back turned towards him so he couldn't read her facial expression and he found himself wondering what exactly was going through her mind. She slowly twisted her head to look at him over her shoulder with a faint smile on her lips as she nodded softly in recognition of his confession. He was baffled by the obvious pride that was shining in her blue eyes as she looked at him and he squinted in confusion, trying to determine what had inspired the admiration.

Delight swelled inside of the witch when he came to the decision to confide in her about something that was obviously a touchy subject and she couldn't help feeling proud of herself for cracking the seemingly impenetrable exterior of the almighty hybrid. She saw the suspicious downturn that spread across his lips when she didn't say anything in response to his confession, almost like he was expecting some kind of backlash or ridicule for having a cared for someone.

The smile that marred her features was indulgent without being condescending, like a parent humouring a child that has said the sky is purple, like she knew something he wasn't able to comprehend. She strolled over to grab her purse from the longue and placed a hand on his shoulder as she leaned over to press a chaste kiss to his cheek before she stood back up with a sigh escaping. "A thousand years, and there's still so much you have to learn."

Klaus stared after her incredulously as she walked out of the studio without a backwards glance, not liking the way she seemed to break down his barriers with a few casual words. A scowl quickly replaced the stupefied expression as irritation started to ebb into his veins and he hurried after her retreating figure, unwilling to let some vagrant witch get the better of him.

It was easy enough to find her as she made the walk towards the main office that Elijah had taken over as his own and he opened his mouth to call out to her in reprimand but a familiar voice drifted down the hall from the office catching his attention. "I asked around. It's not just your father. The purgatory where supernatural souls are trapped is disintegrating."

"What do you mean, 'disintegrating'?" Elijah asked in confusion as he turned around to face Genevieve from where he stood on the balcony and his gaze immediately shifted over her shoulder to the brunette that had just entered the room with his brother trailing behind.

"She's right." Klaus announced in an almost jovial tone as he strolled towards them, drawing the attention of everyone in the room towards him and he raised an eyebrow with a smirk as he basked in being the one who held all of the answers.

"More or less." Imogen added drily as she perched on the arm of the longue, unable to allow any acknowledgement of Genevieve's contribution and Elijah smirked at her comment as though he was able to read her thoughts from across the room.

"It's actually imploding." The hybrid continued to explain as though there had been no interrupted, although he cast the witch an amused glance as he used his hands to imitate an explosion. "I made a call – "

"I made a call!"

"– To a rather reluctant – "

"Completely reluctant."

"– Bennett witch in Mystic Falls who said the same thing. The dead are being torn away into nothingness. And, they're not interested in going quietly."

"So, you're saying that our father, faced with permanent extinction, has decided to spend his remaining tormenting us? How delightful!" Elijah declared sarcastically with a roll of his oak brown eyes as he made his way towards the witch sitting on the arm of the longue. She offered him a compassionate smile as he came to a stop next to her and he rested a hand on the nape of her neck possessively as she leaned into him instinctively. There was a magnetic pull surging between them, drawing them to one another so subtly that it was almost mistakable if you weren't watching intently.

"Well, on the plus side, we'll soon be rid of his abhorrent soul forever. And what a good riddance that will be!" Klaus cheered mockingly with a smirk on his lips as he held his arms out to his sides, his eyes dancing in between the couple like he was looking for a specific reactions.

"So, am I in the clear, Elijah? Or is there a new conspiracy you two would like to threaten me over?" Genevieve asked in a deceptively sweet voice, her obvious distain masked behind a thin layer of polite etiquette as she cocked her head to the side with an eyebrow raised inquisitively.

Elijah hummed in consideration as his skilled fingers gently stroked Imogen's bare neck to keep her from snapping at the redhead and he felt her relax against him as he answered the question with a condescending lilt in his voice, "Nothing springs to mind at this precise moment..."

"Oh, gee. Thanks." Genevieve remarked drily as she suppressed to urge to roll her eyes and she scowled slightly at the brunette witch as she ducked her head to hide the amused grin that spread across her lips. She spun on her heel away from the couple and turned her attention to the hybrid as she stepped closer to him until she could feel the warmth emitting from his body. A blush spread across her cheeks as his blue eyes pierced her mind, body and soul without trying, and she smiled coyly as she lowered her voice seductively, "I have to get back to the girls. Perhaps, after the funeral, you and I could spend some time together. Alone?"

"I suppose we'll have to see." he whispered huskily in response, sending enticing shivers down her spine and she swallowed in disappointment as she broke eye contact with a sigh. She could feel all three sets of eyes on her retreating back as she left the office and she felt a smidge of satisfaction that she was able to hold their attention even after leaving a room.

"Please tell me you've designed a stronger method to control the witch than playing hard-to-get?" Elijah asked with a combination of pleading and mocking in his voice as he stepped away from Imogen momentarily before turning away to offer her his hand and she smiled gratefully as he helped her stand up from the arm of the longue, threading their fingers together once she was standing.

"Well, I've always been partial to the classics..." the hybrid explained idly in amusement as he watched the interaction between the couple and Elijah rolled his eyes at the reply as he began leading the witch out of the office.

"I don't understand why we haven't killed her yet. You know, literally cut the problem off at the head." Imogen remarked in exasperation, using her free hand to imitate slicing someone's throat and Elijah smirked slightly in amusement as he internally beamed at the usage of the word 'we' in regards to a plan.

"While that would usual route to take, I have other plans for Genevieve." Klaus informed the witch proudly with a knowing smirk on his lips as he walked on the opposite side to his brother and she looked at him with a quirked eyebrow, silently asking him to clarify his statement. "The moonlight rings I wish to spell for the werewolves require two witches to create. My mother and the witch, Ayanna spelled the first ring for my birth father."

"So, you need Genevieve. And I'm guessing you have another witch in mind." she stated knowingly with an exasperated sigh, although there was a fond smile playing on her lips as she glanced at him over her shoulder and he chuckled in amusement as he tapped his nose, letting her know that she was correct in her assumption. She squinted her eyes when the three of them exited the building, the sudden sunlight blinding her momentarily and she reached into her purse for her sunglasses before sliding them on her face.

Imogen threaded her arm through Elijah's as she snuggled closer to his side and he leaned over to press a kiss to her temple as they strolled down the street towards St Anne's Church where the parade was starting.

The three of them remained silent as they made the short walk to the main street where the funeral procession was taking place and soon the silence was replaced with mournful jazz music and the quiet murmur of voices all mingled together into an incoherent blur of white noise.

Imogen felt her eyes sting with unshed tears as she watched the priests that were acting as pallbearers lift Father Kieran's coffin at the head of the parade. Black umbrellas were scattered throughout the crowd as they began a slow march down the street and Imogen smiled in greeting when she noticed Hayley had caught sight of them approaching. The werewolf waited patiently for them as she wrapped her arms around her swollen stomach and fell into step with them as they continued without stopping, slipping into the space between Imogen and Klaus since she didn't want to attempt to separate the witch and Elijah.

A cough escaped Hayley as she covered her mouth with her fist, placing a hand on her chest with a frown and Elijah glanced over at her as his eyebrows furrowed in concern. "You alright? You look – "

" – A hundred months pregnant and pissed off at the world?" she interjected pointedly with a slight smirk as she turned her head to look at him and he grinned, nonplussed about her abrupt interruption.

"I was going to say you look lovely."

"Yeah, right." Imogen scoffed in disbelief as she rolled her eyes at him and he suddenly poked her side, causing her to giggle uncharacteristically as she writhed away from him when he hit a ticklish spot under her ribs.

Hayley couldn't help smiling fondly at the couple as the Original wrapped an arm around the witch's waist with a satisfied grin on his lips, gazing down at her brunette hair in adoration while she snuggled into his side. A pang of jealousy weighed heavily on her chest as she forced herself to look away from them, settling a hand on her stomach and a smile pulled at the corners of her lips when she remembered that soon she would have someone to love unconditionally. Looking forward, her gaze almost immediately landed on Francesca Correa a couple of yards in front of them as she pretending to wipe tears from her face with a tissue. Distrust swelled in her stomach as she narrowed her eyes at the darkhaired human and she lowered her voice so that only those she was walking with would be to hear her as she asked the question that had been plaguing her overnight, "Do you think I was the target of those bombings?"

"Of course you were the target! Were I to wage a war on the wolves, you'd be my first kill! I would string you up, for all your worshipers to see." Klaus replied jovially with a small smile as his eye twinkled with mirth, sounding almost enthusiastic and she levelled him with heated glare as she folded her arms over her chest protectively.

"I believe that was my brother's way of telling you he'd like you to return home with us." Elijah translated on her behalf with a wry smile on his lips as his oak brown eyes twinkled with mirth and he sighed in exasperation as he directed his next comment to his younger brother, "Perhaps try a different approach, Niklaus?"

"Maybe one with fewer references to murder?" Imogen suggested idly with a distinct hint of amusement in her voice as she lowered her glasses enough so that her eyes were visible while giving the hybrid a look. He smirked shamelessly at the subtle reprimand from the couple and he watched her slide her glasses back up the bridge of her nose as she returned the smirk knowingly.

"As much as I would hate to throw you over my shoulder, and drag you kicking and screaming to the compound, we both know I will – for the sake of my child." Klaus vowed in a cheerful tone even though it was easy to hear the steel behind the words, the truth laced in between the casually thrown words.

"One bad dream, and suddenly, you want to be a responsible daddy!" Hayley remarked sarcastically with a sardonic smile as she quirked an eyebrow at him and he offered her a tight smile as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his side as she grimaced uncomfortably.

"Let me put this into perspective: my father lived to torment me. It is not my intention to become him. This cycle of misery ends with my child."

"You forgot one thing in your little attempt to plead your case – she's not your child. She's ours."

Hayley offered him a fake smile as she shrugged his arm off of her shoulders roughly, levelling him with a glare but a part of her was glad that he seemed so invested in protecting their child. She was terrified of being a mother, she didn't have a reference to work from, but it eased her mind to know that she wouldn't be figuring it out on her own. Klaus would be there attempting to work it out beside her, and it was obvious that Elijah was already dedicated to his unborn niece, the werewolves in the bayou would protect her with their lives, and Imogen would be there to help her and answer any questions because she was the only person she knew that had even semi-raised an infant. Mother and child would never be alone, not with so many people that cared about them.

Imogen suppressed a smile at the werewolf's sassy comeback and threw her a conspiratorial wink when the other girl looked in her direction, rolling her hazel eyes at the hybrid's attitude. Hayley smirked at her friend as she reached out to squeeze the witch's hand momentarily before sauntering away from them, quickening her pace as she disappeared into the crowd.

"Very heartfelt, Niklaus." Elijah quipped drily as he tightened his hold on Imogen's waist, while keeping his gaze in front of them and his lips quirked slightly when he felt the witch's body vibrate with silent laughter.

"I bloody hate funerals." Klaus grumbled under his breath as he tugged at the collar of his dress shirt and scowled when Imogen batted his hand away like he was an impatient child being forced to dress up for church.

"Darling, while we're on the subject, I would feel better if I was certain you were protected until this mess has been cleared up. Could you please consider staying at the compound until it's been dealt with?" Elijah asked politely in a deceptively sweet tone of voice as he strategically lowered his hand down her side, hoping to distract her from the conversation because he knew she might take offence to the request.

"Hm." she hummed in acknowledgement to his words as she tried not to become preoccupied by the feel of his hand caressing her hip erotically through her dress. It didn't take a genius to work out his intentions as he discreetly rubbed his thumb in circles and she turned her body towards him with a smirk so that her chest was pressed against him as she lowered her voice to a husky whisper, "I'm sure you could persuade me to spend the night."

The roguish smirk that spread across his lips and a slight tightening of his hand was the only sign that he heard her and she chuckled breathlessly as she straightened her body so that she was facing forwards. It was mainly because of Elijah's hold on her waist that she hadn't tripped over her high heels and she leaned her head on his shoulder as they walked, leaning on him for support to keep herself upright.

Even though the circumstances were tragic, Imogen couldn't help feel content in Elijah's arms and it made her feel grateful that he had appeared so suddenly into her life. A dark part of her mind knew without a doubt that if she had died the night of the Harvest ritual or sometime in the hellish weeks that followed, no one other than Sophie and Davina would have mourned her loss, or even noticed her disappearance. But now she had people who cared about her and would miss her when she was gone, at least at the beginning, and that was a soothing thought that eased her mind.

"Klaus!" a familiar voice called out in panic from somewhere behind them and Imogen lifted her head in confusion as she spun around to face Genevieve with wide eyes. The redhead was staring in horror at something on the sidewalk ahead of them and she followed her gaze to where Hayley was sprawled on the cement sidewalk.

Dread filled her stomach as she immediately started sprinting towards her fallen friend and the Original brothers used their enhanced speed to rush to the werewolf's side, not caring about who might be witnessing their inhuman movements. Imogen collapsed onto her knees beside them, hitting the ground so hard she was sure that there were bruises forming and the first thing she noticed was the dark red blood on the concrete.

Elijah saw the panic on the witch's face as his brother lifted Hayley's unconscious body into his arms and he firmly gripped her elbow, guiding her to her feet as Genevieve approached them in a hurry with a horrified expression. He wrapped an arm around Imogen's waist as the group hurried in the opposite direction of the parade, heading towards the sanctuary of the compound so there wouldn't be any onlookers.

It took only a few minutes for them to reach the compound since it was adjacent the main street that the parade was taking place on and Klaus hurried into the empty courtyard as Imogen rushed past him in determination etched on her face. She swept her arm over the surface of a table in the middle of the room, causing the objects to go flying but no paid any attention as Klaus carefully laid the unconscious werewolf down. Imogen immediately stepped out of the way as she and Klaus stood on one side of the table, and she felt helpless standing there without something to do, some ability to help her friend.

"I can help –"Genevieve started to tell them as she approached the table with an earnest expression but Elijah immediately blocked her path with his arm as he turned his head to glare at her heatedly.

"Let it be, Elijah. She was a nurse." Klaus ordered in a surprisingly soft tone as he kept his gaze locked on Hayley's face, pain shining in his blue eyes and Imogen frowned slightly but nodded slightly in agreement when she felt Elijah glancing at her from across the table. She had studied grimoires almost religiously as part of her coven's education process but never had much use for specialised spellwork but it was obvious that Genevieve had a specific interest in the healing and medical field. Elijah pursed his lips in displeasure but stepped to the side so that the redhead had access to Hayley and she narrowed her eyes as she did a quick overlook of the unconscious werewolf before lifting her head with a determined glint in her eyes.

"There's a spell I can do. Imogen, I assume you keep a basic ingredients kit somewhere around here."

"Of course. Four of them." the brunette answered immediately without thinking as she shrugged like it was no big deal and the two brothers snapped their heads around in surprise but she ignored them as she spoke to the other witch. "One in my bedroom, one in Davina's, one in Klaus' studio and one in Elijah's office. In case of emergencies."

"Klaus, get chamomile from one of the kits." Genevieve instructed in a hurried tone as she turned her gaze back to her patient and a frown almost immediately pulled at her lips as she took note of the shivers that coursed through Hayley's body. "She's trembling. Your jacket, Elijah."

Elijah immediately shrugged out of his suit jacket as he listened intently for the reassuring sound of a heartbeat but the only thing he could hear was a faint fluttering like butterflies wings as he laid the coat over Hayley's prone body. "She's not breathing, I can hear the baby's heartbeat, but not hers."

Imogen covered her mouth with her hand as tears burned the back of her eyes, her stomach dropping at the prospect of losing her friend and she fumbled to grip Hayley's limp hand in her own. She threaded their fingers together as she tried in vain to give her friend strength through the connection, relying on theories that skin-on-skin contact could stimulate healing. Genevieve pressed down on the side of her neck, checking her pulse with a frown on her lips and Imogen's hand subconsciously tightened as she watched Hayley's eyelids flutter like she was dreaming.

The air surrounding them displaced as Klaus used his vampire speed to appear beside the brunette witch, a solemn expression on his features as he held out the sprigs of chamomile. Genevieve accepted them with a small twitch of her lips as she searched through bag with the other hand and she pulled out a plastic bottle of water before pouring some of the liquid over the herbs. She placed the damp bundle of chamomile against Hayley's forehead as she bent her head forward and closed her eyes as she chanted under her breath, "Coeur blessé, battre avec mwen. Coeur blessé, battre avec mwen."

Imogen shifted restlessly on her feet as she kept her eyes trained on Hayley's face, waiting for any change anxiously and she bit down on the inside of her cheek until she tasted the metallic flavour of blood coating her tongue.

Klaus let out a frustrated groan suddenly, causing the witch beside him to startle slightly as she looked at him with wide eyes but he ignored her as he pushed up his shirt sleeve. The veins under his eyes became prominent as his irises burning bright amber and his fangs descended as he roughly bit into his wrist with a sickening crunch when the skin broke. There was a tense silence as he placed his wounded wrist against her lips, dribbling the blood into her mouth in hopes that it would heal her. Rivers of dark red fluid travelled down her chin and exposed throat, contrasting against her pale tanned skin and everyone waited for something to happen but after a moment it became clear it hadn't succeeded.

"Come on!" Klaus roared in fury as he slammed his hand down on the table beside Hayley's body and he cast a helplessly glance towards his older brother as he murmured in heartbroken fear, "She's still not breathing. It's not working!"

Imogen tugged on her lower lip as she kept her gaze on Hayley's face, a thoughtful expression on her features and the tangled webs of thoughts in her mind worked overtime to comprehend the blast of realisation that had just hit her. What she was contemplating was the definition of risky, it could cause irreversible damage to her psyche but if it worked, Hayley and the baby would survive. It was only a matter of priorities, and for Imogen it wasn't even a question.

"There's something we can do. It's a long shot but it might help." she announced to the group as she lifted her head with a determined expression and the Mikaelson brothers looked at her with such hope in their eyes that it made her decision worthwhile. She took a deep breath as she pulled at the thread of magic at the core of her being and she placed one hand over Hayley's stilled heart as the other maintained the connection between their hands. Her eyes slipped closed as she felt her magical energy surge forward, making a magical bond between the two of them and she started chanting out loud, "De lespri vin tounen youn. De lespri vin tounen youn."

"No! Imogen, don't – "Genevieve shouted in protest when she realised what exactly the other witch had in mind but Imogen was lost in a daze of magic as she continued to chant the same words over and over again with increasing intensity.

Elijah frowned in concern when she didn't respond to the other witch's warning and went to touch her arm but Genevieve's hand quickly shot out to grab his arm, stopping him from making contact. He turned his head to look at her with an eyebrow raised, silently asking her what she thought she was doing touching him but her worried gaze started locked on Imogen as she slowly shook her head.

"De lespri vin tounen youn. De lespri –"Imogen stopped abruptly as her eyes rolled back into her head, displaying the whites of her eyes before she body went completely limp and she collapsed onto the ground beside the table. Elijah felt his eyes widened in panic as his breath caught in his throat and he immediately used his enhanced to rush around the table, kneeling down at her side. His hands hovered for a moment before he pressed his fingers to the pulse point on her throat, breathing a sigh of relief when he felt the familiar thump thump thump of blood rushing through her veins. He hastily picked her up in his arms and deposited her prone body on the table beside Hayley, gently brushing a stray strand of brunette hair off of her forehead as he stood up straight.

There were many times over the last few months when he would lay in bed awake after spending time with Imogen, just looking at the stunning creature sleeping beside him. In those moments she looked so peaceful, like there wasn't anything in world that could touch her and there wasn't the weight of the world resting on her shoulders.

Elijah prided himself on being calm and collected during any situation, it was often more terrifying to be in control than it was to be erratic and he used that reputation to his advantage. But looking at Imogen unconscious face, he felt an intense anger that he hadn't felt since finding out that Kol had been killed. Rage twisted his features as he spun around, grabbing the closest thing he could get his hands on and he threw the side table against the brick wall, causing it to shatter into pieces. He was breathing heavily as he reached up to grip his hair with both hands, a gesture that he had witnessed Imogen make numerous times when she was frustrated and the thought made him choke on a laugh as he ducked his head with his eyes closed.

"Coeur blessé, battre avec mwen." he vaguely heard Genevieve mumbling behind him as he felt a heavy weight on his shoulder and he glanced up to see his brother laying a hand on his shoulder in silent support.

"I'm taking them to a real doctor." Elijah announced in an abrupt tone as he shrugged off his brother's hand and began striding towards the table but Genevieve lifted her head to look at him as she shook her head in despair while addressing him in a sharp voice.

"If you move Hayley from here, my spell will break. There won't be enough time to get her to a hospital."

Klaus listened intently to the faint rhythmic thumping of his daughter's heartbeat, making sure that it didn't fluctuate in the slightest. Hayley and Imogen were lying unconscious in front of him, both of them clinging to life, but all he could think about was the unborn child resting in her mother's womb. Imogen's words from the Faction party came floating back to him and finally, finally he understood their meaning: 'You'll know the feeling soon enough. The moment you look into your daughters eyes, the whole world will stop and instead of gravity, she will keep you grounded to the earth. You think you love her now, but just wait until you see her, and hold her. Nothing compares, Niklaus.'

Because in that moment, there was nothing that he wouldn't do in order to see his daughter, in order to hold her in his arms, in order to have that opportunity. He spun around to face Genevieve, trying his best not to look down at the women lying on the table and he had real fear in his eyes as he asked the witch in a frantic tone, "Will the baby survive if delivered now?"

He didn't bother waiting for an answer as determination spread across his features and he lunged towards Hayley's body as he declared in passionate voice, "I'll rip it out of her myself!"

Elijah quickly stepped in front of his younger brother, placing a hand on his chest to block him from getting any closer, not willing to risk losing Imogen or Hayley. He narrowed his eyes at Niklaus warningly as he pressed him back from the table and he swallowed roughly as he glanced over his shoulder at the unconscious women before lifting his head to look at the redheaded witch.

"Hayley will bleed to death!" Genevieve shouted loudly as she looked over at them with a glare, annoyed by the constant interruption when she was trying to work. She sighed when she saw the devastated look on Elijah's face as he looked at the brunette witch lying on the table and she softened her tone as she added compassionately, "And Imogen will never recover. Her consciousness is connected to Hayley's."

"I won't lose that baby." Klaus declared in a firm tone, brokering no arguments as he stared directly into his brother's eyes and allowing him to see the vulnerability that he showed only a finite number of people.

"I won't lose any of them." Elijah responded softly, his voice cracking unapologetically as he refused to look away from his brother and somewhere in the background he could faintly hear Genevieve chanting something in French behind them but neither of the were paying attention.

"... battre avec mwen. Coeur blessé, battre avec mwen." The witch trailed off unsurely as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, her eyes squeezing closed and images of Monique holding a voodoo doll filtered across her mind like a movie taking place. She gasped in realisation as her eyes flew open and she steadied her breathing for a second before she turned her attention to the Originals who were looking at her in confusion. "I know what to do. Get my bag, the gris-gris pouch! Now!"

Klaus immediately sped out of the compound, going to collect her bag from her shop and Elijah threaded his fingers with Imogen, raising their conjoined hands to his mouth. Genevieve glanced at him in concern before quickly adverting her gaze when it felt like she was intruding on an intimate moment and she continued to dab Hayley's forehead with a damp cloth.

_____________________________________

Imogen gasped for breath suddenly as she shot upright on the table in the middle of the compound, her eyes were wide in panic as she looked around in confusion. But after a moment the fog that clouded her mind cleared and she was left with clarity, remembering the events that lead to her connecting her consciousness to Hayley's. She sighed heavily as she swung her legs over the edge of the table and looked around the empty courtyard for any sign of the werewolf she was there to help.

"Hayley!" she called out curiously as she jumped off of the table with a slight frown and she heard footsteps hurrying in her direction from the second level of the building so she started rushed towards the stairs. A familiar brunette appeared at the top of the staircase, a hand protectively cradling her stomach and Imogen breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of an unharmed Hayley standing in front of her.

"Oh, thank God." Hayley murmured to herself as she hurried down the stairs, keeping a hand on the railing for balance and she threw her arms around the witch as she closed her eyes tightly. She had been so confused when she woke up alone in the Abattoir, no sign of anyone and she would never admit it to anyone but she was terrified by what that meant. Her hazel eye flashed with their usual fierce determination as she pulled back from the embrace, holding her friend at arm's length and asked the question that was burning a hole in her mind, "Do you have any idea what the hell is going on?"

Imogen opened her mouth to respond but the sound of footsteps approaching from the far side of the courtyard, causing the two women to spin around and become instantly on alert at the appearance of a new arrival. The witch positioned herself protectively in front of Hayley, feeling the familiar swell of magical energy at the bottom of her stomach and she was incredibly glad to know that she was able to access her magic while in the purgatory she had committed herself to.  

Out of the shadows strode a tall middle-aged man with short dark blond hair that was greying around the temples and a muscular build, his blue eyes held a menacing quality as he approached them slowly like a predator with its prey in sight.

It only took Imogen a moment to process who exactly it was in front of them, she had seen him in the memories that Elijah had shown her, and she had heard enough stories to know that it was in their best interest to keep a distance from the man.

"Who are you?" Hayley asked in a shaky voice as she gripped Imogen's arm tightly until her knuckles turned white under the pressure and she loosened her hold slightly when the other girl hissed in pain.

"I suppose...I'm family." Mikael announced in a menacing tone of voice as he came to stop in the middle of the courtyard and realisation dawned on the werewolf as she inhaled sharply in horror, subconsciously taking a step backwards out of fright. He cocked his head to the side curiously as his lips curled at the corners and he appeared to be pleased in the wake of their fear as he spoke with an unbridled glee in his voice, "I assume my reputation precedes me."

"This is a nightmare. I'm dreaming."

"On the contrary, my darling-- this is very real."

There weren't given any warning before he used his enhanced to appear behind them, wrapping his arm around Hayley's neck in a headlock and gripped Imogen's throat with the other hand. A choked noise was the only sound that escaped the witch as she tried to breath around the strangle hold and Hayley gasped in fright as her eyes widened, unshed tears shining in her eyes.

"Welcome to my hell – stuck in an eternity of watching over that hideous creature my children call brother!" Mikael hissed angrily as he leaned in so that his breath brushed against her ear and Imogen felt her anger spike at the cruel taunt towards Klaus as she resisted the urge to lash out, only because she didn't want Hayley getting hurt in the process.

"You're dead! How can I be here? Oh my god! NO! No! The baby!" Hayley cried out in terror as she started thrashing wildly against his hold and Imogen blindly reached out to grab one of her hands, latching on tightly once she made a connection as she used her magic to send comfort and reassurance through the bond.

"The baby? That kid never had a chance! And as if your bloodline isn't filth enough, you poison it by merging it with Klaus'?" he asked rhetorically in a deathly calm voice before laughing manically, causing shivers to run down her spine and he pulled Hayley closer to him as he continued, "The deathless vermin, fancying himself a daddy?"

Seeing the fear contorting Hayley's features caused the palpable anger resting inside of Imogen to erupt like lava from a volcano and she let out a strangled shout as she raised one hand out towards him. Magic flowed through her veins as the wind picked up around them, causing the girls hair to whip around wildly and Mikael was forced to release his grasp on them as he was thrown backwards into a nearby table. Hayley gasped her breath as she rubbed her injured throat with one hand and Imogen stepped in front of her protectively as she glared at the vampire sprawled on the ground amongst the scattered remains of the wooden table.

"Enough! The baby's not dead! Hayley's not dead! I'm not dead! If we were dead, you wouldn't be trying to kill us! But you? You're dead, Mikael. Your son already beat you!" she spat at him passionately as she slowly started to back away from him, her arm out stretched protectively in front of Hayley's stomach.

Mikael's eyes flared with rage as he jumped to his feet, his face twisting with fury and he pointed towards them with a scowl as he bellowed at the top of his lungs, "He is not my son! He's a scourge, a walking symbol of weakness!"

The hatred that emanated from the man was almost suffocating and Hayley felt her blood boil in anger, feeling empathy for the hybrid who fathered her child. She knew exactly how it felt to be abandoned, to be let down by the people who were supposed to care for you and she knew that Klaus didn't deserve the pain Mikael had caused him for simply being born. The animalistic side of her nature was clawing to come out, to protect someone that was close to her and her normally hazel eyes glowed amber as she snarled viciously. She spun around quickly as she used her increased strength to kick at the banister of the staircase, splintering the wood enough that she was able to break off a piece of wood to use as a stake.

Imogen continued to cautiously back away, keeping her eyes on the monster hunting them and Hayley curled her fingers into the back of her dress so they didn't get separated as they slowly walked backwards up the staircase.

"There is no saving that atrocity festering in your womb. Klaus will destroy it, one way or another. Better he dies now, and you along with it!" he shouted in confidence, absolutely assured that he would be the one ending them and they both gasped in terror when he used his enhanced power to jump onto the second floor. Imogen glanced around for some escape route since he was blocking the top of the staircase and she exhaled in defeat before gently pushing Hayley towards the railing as she ordered, "Jump!"

The werewolf didn't hesitate to swing her legs over the edge, landing swiftly in a crouch on the ground and Imogen spun around as she ran back down the stairs, not willing to risk being injured when they were still in the middle of a fight.

Hayley met her at the bottom of the stairs and latching onto her hand like she might disappear, letting the connection to her friend feed her overwhelming need to escape the hell she had stumbled into. Fury burned in her eyes as she witnessed Mikael jumping over the railing and landing in a crouch on the group floor, a scowl twisting his features as he stood up with a grace only possible for a vampire.

"Arrêtez-vous!" Imogen shouted with her hand held out towards him as the magic inside of her pulsated in her veins and her eyes widened in shocked horror when her magic had no effect on the man. He laughed drily as he advanced towards us and she stared down at her hands, coming to the conclusion that she was unable to use her magic in purgatory unless she was highly emotional.

Fear coursed through her veins as she tightened her hold on the werewolf's hand but Hayley snarled angrily as she spun around, out of Imogen's reach and stabbed the wooden stake she was holding into Mikael's chest. He let out an involuntary scream as the stake pierced his heart, his face contorting in pain as he collapsed onto his knees and Hayley leaned down to whisper furiously in his ear, "My daughter has an advantage Klaus never had – she will never, ever know you."

Imogen felt an immense wave of pride for her friend in that moment; she knew how difficult it was for Hayley to accept her pregnancy, especially given that Klaus Mikaelson was the father and she had come a long way in her relationship with the man. Her met blue eyes met Hayley hazel orbs across the short distance and a small smile spread across her lips as the world around her started to blur, until there was nothing but darkness clouding her vision.

A bright light surrounded her moments before her eyes flew open and she gasped for breath as she sat up straight on the table that she had been lying on, one of her hands immediately flying to her chest. She blinked profusely as tears clouded her vision and she looked around as she tried to make sense of her surrounding, sighing in relief when she recognised the courtyard of the Abattoir.

A loud gasped sounded from beside her on the table and she turned her head to see that Hayley had awoken from her comatose state. Dried blood coated her mouth and throat as she tried to catch her breath, blinking her own eyes in confusion as she looked around the room until her gaze landed on witch next to her. Tears flooded her eyes as she reached for her hand, slowly sitting up with one hand resting on her stomach and Imogen took the offered hand as she pulled the werewolf into a tight embrace. Hayley's body wracked with the force of her sobs as she released the built up fear and anger, not concerned in the least that Imogen was witnessing her vulnerable state. The witch rubbed soothing circles on her back comfortingly as she lifted her head to look at the vampires standing over Hayley's shoulder, watching the moment with concerned eyes. Imogen tried to smile reassuringly at the brothers but it failed to reach her eyes and after a moment, Hayley pulled back from the embrace with an embarrassed expression when she noticed the other people in the room.

"You're alright, love. You're alright." Klaus murmured reassuringly as he reached out to rub her shoulder comfortingly and her lower lip quivered in fear as she met his gaze unflinchingly with a fierce gleam in their depths.

"I saw him. He tried to kill me. I saw Mikael." Hayley informed them solemnly as she wrapped her eyes around herself, her body shaking slightly from the ordeal she had just been through and Klaus regarded them both gravely as he tried to mask the fear that flooded through him at the mention of his 'father'.

Imogen could vaguely hear her friend revealing what had occurred to the hybrid but her attention was solely focused on the handsome Original that was staring at her intensely like she was the most precious thing had ever seen. His face was perfectly blank but his oak brown eyes were displaying a myriad of emotions and she felt her frayed nerves slowly stitching back together, the entire ordeal having affected her more than she realised and merely being in Elijah's presence had started to calm her down. Unshed tears prickled at her eyes and the next second she was encompassed in his warm embrace, his enticing scent surrounding her as she closed her eyes contently. A small smile spread across her lips when she felt him press a kiss to the top her head and she relaxed against his body, completely safe and sound in his arms.

____________________________

Moonlight cascade through the open window, allowing the jazz music from below to be heard and the gentle breeze caused the curtains to waver. Hayley sat cross legged on the middle of her bed at the compound, staring absently out the window at the celebration of life taking place with a thoughtful expression marring her pretty face. So much had happened in such a short amount of time and she didn't know how to process the recent turn of events. Growing up the way she did, she had become accustom to change and had developed the ability to adapt but now she had someone else to consider, someone else who's life had become her number one priority.

The faint sound of footsteps approaching her designated bedroom immediately caused her to sit up in alert, her heart racing accelerating in fright as she tightly gripped the material of the bedspread beneath her. A breath of relief escaped her when Klaus appeared in the doorway to her bedroom and she felt the tension seep out of her body as she ducked her head in embarrassment, ashamed that she was so weak at the moment. She lifted her head slightly to look at him as he knocked on the doorframe politely before entering the room and her fingers fidgeted nervously as she waited for him to speak his peace.

"You've proved quite resilient, little wolf. Fighters, both of you." he mused out loud in admiration as he gaze at her with intense sky blue eyes and she watched silently as they flickered down to her swollen stomach, a touch of adoration in their depths. There was a soft smile on his lips, and that more than any words he said made her certain of his involvement in their child's life.

"I guess we've had to be. Especially lately." she said solemnly as she gently rubbed a hand over her stomach lovingly and the smile on his lips faded upon hearing her words but she carried on in the same tone, "I've decided that I'm going to move back in."

The surprise was clear on his features, obviously he had been expecting her to put up more of a fight on the subject but if anything, the events of the day had reminded her of how dangerous the world was. She prided herself on being independent but beneath her strong demeanour, there was a broken and scared little girl who had learned the hard way how to get back up when she fell down and to never depend on anyone. But she couldn't do that now. She wasn't alone now, and she never would be again, so she had to adjust and learn how to let people in, how to accept help when it was offered.

"Well, I'm relieved to hear it." he replied honestly as he offered her a genuine smile, clasping his hands behind his back and she fixed him with a stern glare as she leaned forward to get her point across to him.

"But no mouth-breathing bodyguards, no telling me what to do."

"All I ask is that the child is kept safe."

"And what about me? What happens after she's born? If you try to take her away from me, I –"

"Come with me, hmm?" he interrupted her with a knowing smile on his lips as he started towards the door and she narrowed her eyes at him as she tilted her head the side without moving from her spot on the bed. He paused in the doorway when he realised that he hadn't heard any movement from behind him and he turned around to face with an almost sheepish expression as he added, "Please. I want to show you something."

After another moment she released a breath as she reluctantly stood up from the bed and followed him out of the bedroom, keeping one hand on her protruding stomach as she trailed behind him. The lights on the wall of the hallway were dim as he led her towards a closed door only one bedroom over from her own. She smiled slightly when he opened the door for her and the breath caught in her throat when she saw what was on the other side, tears blurring her vision as she took in the room.

She took a step into the nursery, gazing at the cream painted walls and the hand carved wooden crib that was set near the furthest wall, complete with adorable soft purple linen. A bassinet was tucked away in the corner next to a comfortable looking rocking chair, the perfect positon to gaze out the window to the street below. A changing table and dresser were also pushed up against the walls, completely stocked with everything a newborn baby might need in the first months of their life. Blank photo frames and other knick-knacks lined the shelves and a gorgeous crystal mobile hung over the crib, tinkling musically in the light breeze coming in from the open window.

"I had Imogen assist me in choosing the appropriate furniture and other various items our child might need. I'm afraid I did not have any experience decorating a nursey." Klaus informed her sheepishly as he watched her from the doorway and he cleared his throat nervously before continuing in an earnest tone of voice, "Believe it or not, Hayley, I would actually like you to be here. Our daughter should be raised by her parents, in her family home."

"You, me, Elijah, and miracle-baby, all under one roof? Sounds like a bad reality show." she commented lightly in an amused tone of voice as she grazed her fingers against the crystal mobile, looking over her shoulder at him with a small smile on her lips.

He chuckled slightly as he lowered his gaze to the ground, his lips turning up at the corners and he swallowed nervously as he contemplated his next question but after a moment he gained the courage to ask, "Uh, you said you saw my father?"

"Why do you call him that? He's not your real dad."

"He's done damage only a father could do. What did he say to you?"

There were many ways she could've answered that question and she searched his features, not sure what she was looking for exactly; his humanity, his sincerity, his vulnerability. Klaus Mikaelson was a name that haunted supernatural; he was the whisper around the campfire, a ghost story, and he had enough blood on his hands to fill the Mississippi River, but he was capable of love. She had witnessed it; with Rebekah, with Marcel, with Elijah, with Imogen, with Caroline, with...her and their daughter. He wasn't like Mikael in the least. Mikael wasn't worthy of being called a 'father', he didn't deserve the privilege, but Klaus did.

Hayley smiled warmly in his direction as she shook her head slightly, a wave of affection for the hybrid coursing through her veins and he frowned in confusion as she told him honestly, "Nothing true."

A genuine smile spread across his lips at her answer as he ducked his head in seeming embarrassment and she turned around to give him a moment, looking at the nearby wall in awe. A large canvas hung on the wall; a painting of the New Orleans skyline, including a cityscape at night with a large full moon painted in the sky above the buildings and the moonlight reflecting on the river below.

"There is one thing I was hoping you would consider." Klaus said slowly in a careful tone of voice as he strolled over to where she was standing next to the crib and she arched an eyebrow inquisitively as she silently urged him to continue, "I wish to name Imogen our child's godmother."

"Yes. Absolutely." she answered without even having to think about it, her eyes widening slightly with shock because she hadn't even thought about naming godparents for their daughter. She didn't have any lifelong friends that could fill the void but in such a short time, the witch in question had become an important figure in her life.

Imogen was someone who would be there for those she cared for without question, she was brave against adversity, she was damaged but strong, and she was wise beyond her years, capable of greatness she couldn't even comprehend. She was the perfect role model for their daughter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 3 15
It's been seven years since the Hollow wreaked her havoc on New Orleans, forcing the once-strong Mikaelson family to part ways. Hayley and Hope left...
27K 433 40
~This Book is a Sequel~ She went from Annabella Marie Salvatore to Gabriella Marie Labonair/Maximoff. She decided enough was enough, and that it was...
3.1K 129 38
After Lilliana Moore reunited with the love of her life, Elijah Mikaelson, all she wanted to do was return to Mystic Falls and rest for a while, mayb...
96.9K 2.8K 33
"I can't lose anyone else, Elijah. Especially not by my own hand." New Orleans. A city run by the supernatural. When Elijah Mikaelson learns of Hayl...