A Burnt Red Thread

By DevilHaato

[One-shot] Mates are destined to meet, they are connected by a red thread. Until death do they part-- and dea... More

A Burnt Red Thread

12 2 2
By DevilHaato

In the midst of a great war.
We can lose anything. Anytime. Anywhere.
Even there's situations where you just being alive is already a miracle.

6th of August, 1945.
Hiroshima, Japan.

She gulped. She hold the price tag.

The goods sold in the markets are fewer and fewer as a great war rages on. Prices goes up like rockets.

A single 15 year old girl stared at a price tag of an accessory. A pretty red ribbon with wave designs on it. She always liked this, it's just that it's very... very... expensive.

4000 yen.

She would rather use those money to eat. She is indeed-- kind of poor.

She sighed. She put back the accessory. The shop is a bit empty as well. The woman who took care of the shop is by the cashier desk. She's eyeing on the girl, but she expects her to not buy anything... again.

Then, a single boy entered. He dons what looks like a trainee military uniform. His short, black hair reaches only his neck but not his collar. He is a tall fellow, indeed.

He stood beside the girl, looking at the wide variety of ribbons.

He took one. It's green with leaf designs on it. It's the same price with her red ribbon-- 4000 yen.

"It's hopeless..." she thought. She eyes the earlier red ribbon and took it. Her money is right at 1000 yen. She looked down.

"Do you want that?" The earlier boy pointed. The girl glanced to him in confusion.

"Uh, um... n-not... really..." she stuttered. She silently hopes this boy will help her in some way.

"Here," he takes it off her hand.

"Hey, wait!"

He walked to the store owner. "Ma'am, two of these, please."

"Is it a gift, young boy...?" The owner smiled warmly. "It's 8000 yen, dear..."

The boy gave a 10.000 yen bill without hesitation. He received 2.000 yen. The girl stared at him, and the tall boy returned to her.

He put back the red ribbon on her hand.

"Here." He smiled.

A stranger that helps someone like her.

What he sacrificed is a whopping 4.000 yen.

The girl stared at the red ribbon she always adored, she hesitated. Should she even receive this? Or not?

When she raised her head, the boy is gone.

"Ah!" He's right outside. It seems he's in a hurry.

"W-wait!" She goes after him. On the side of the road, just outside the shop, she caught the boy and pulled his shirt from behind.

"Yes?"

The girl blushed. She grips his shirt. The boy stared at her in confusion.

"U-um... th... tha--"

A loud, deafening siren suddenly rang. The girl got confused of what's happening. "????"

The boy glanced upwards and spot a plane at the sky. It left a trail of smoke. Soon, the siren stopped.

"It's just a plane." The boy assured.

"But I'm sorry, what did you say again?" He smiled. The girl blushed. She had to say it again. Darn, that earlier siren ruins her will to say it now.

"U-ummm... for the ribbon..."

"...?"

"T-thank---"

He suddenly gasped.

"WATCH OUT!!!!" He screamed loud and the girl gasped out of the blue-- what happened?

The boy swiftly pushed her into a building, into the shop earlier. Fast and powerful, she fell into the wooden floor of the shop.

"Wh-what happe--"

Something-- the earlier plane dropped something----- over the Hiroshima Exihibition Hall. Right over the green-domed building.

"DOWN!!!" He screamed at her. Scared and confused, she tried to get away from the door. The boy tried to enter the building.

That is when----

A blinding light hits her. Loud noise deafen her ears, the light pierces her eyes even when it's closed. She began to feel heat.

Pain.

She heard muffled screaming.

She closes her ears. The sound and light felt like it robs her consciousness away.

Everything turned black.

...

...

Sounds of rubbles falling down. The girl opened her eyes. Her vision is blurry, she found something red.

Her ribbon. It's half-burnt.

"Ah... ah!" She snapped to reality and she sat up-- she found a burnt corpse right over her. Blood and ash dirties her yukata.

"Ah-- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" she screamed loud and pushes away the corpse. It's mouth is opened wide to reveal it's insides is charred black. It's dead.

Tears well up and she backed away. But behind her is a broken plank of burnt wood.

She smell disgusting smell of fire's smoke and burnt superstructures.

She began to realize her surroundings.

The buildings she earlier saw standing now is one with the ground. Nothing stood except the former Hiroshima Exihibition Hall on the distance.

The town she had known disappeared.

Her Hiroshima is destroyed.

She held her ribbon. It's edges are burnt. Her yukata and some parts of her skin does too. It hurts, it's scary. Tears fell down from her eyes.

She remembered the blast of light earlier.

No way.

They are attacked.

"U-uh--" she stood up and scavenged her surroundings. Dead bodies. Burnt bodies. Her knees soon fell and trembled. It felt like she is the only one in the world to survive. Albeit her left arm is burnt and it hurts a lot. Her left leg as well.

"U-uuu--" she sobbed and glanced around. She wanted someone who she knew. Her mother-- anyone. Anyone!

She wipes her tears off from her eyes and scavenged again. Corpses. Debris.

Then she came across a corpse. He dons a burnt military uniform. It's gripping a green ribbon-- it's edges are burnt.

The pattern is awfully similar to hers.

"N-no way--"

She put her hands on the corpse and she felt it's texture is disgusting. It's whole body is burnt except half of the face and it's head, along with it's chest and left hand.

Skin blankets the other parts of it's body. It's not even one with it-- it's peeling off. It's disguting.

"Um--" if she is right, she should know who it is.

The earlier boy-- the one who bought the red ribbon for her.

"P-please wake up!" She said, shaking his body.

A miracle or not, the body suddenly twitched and moved, wriggling.

"Aaa-- aaaa...aa....aaa---" it's gasping and wriggling in pain. The girl gasped and looked left and right. There's no hints of water. Except from the river just beside the Hiroshima Exihibition Hall.

"M-mi...z.....zz...u..." the burnt boy began to talk. He glanced to her. He's in pain, way more than she is. (Mizu = water)

"Y-yes!" She nodded. She glanced to the river.

"Th-the river, yes?!" She asked. He nodded, slightly.

The girl took him and helped him stand. Just as he stood, his skin peeled and fell, t dangles right from his nails. His legs also bear peeled skin.

"!!!!" She gasped. She wants to release him right now. It's scary. It's disgusting.

She gulped. Holding back her tears. She assisted him, going to the river.

The scorching heat tortured the boy. The heat that burnt his skin.

She saw other people.

Their burnt skin dangle from their nails. They emit sounds of pain.

A small child is screaming.
His mother died.

The girl trembled upon the horror.

"What have we ever done...?"

Soon, they arrived at the river. The breeze calmed the boy a bit. He stood still. Many people also gathered-- they wanted to be near the water.

"P-please- wait here!" She left and went for the water. Shoot, the water current is strong and if she attempt to take the water, she'll fall right in.

She returned to the boy.

"I-I'm sorry-- I can't take the water--"

He shakes his head.

She glanced around.

What have they ever done to deserve this?

~

The girl sit right beside the boy. He's sleeping. They are in the evacuation camp. It smells horrible. It smells of burnt skin.

"...m...i....mi....z...h..." the boy suddenly called. "--!!" She girl noticed and quickly grabbed a cup of water she had prepared.

"H-here..." she helped him and let him drink the water slowly.

He choked and coughed out loud. Soon he drinks slowly again. And lied down.

A quarter of his face is still intact. She indeed recognize him as the earlier boy that bought her the ribbon.

"...." she looked down. He's awake.

It's in middle of the night. It's summer, so it's not very cold.

Bandages cover his and her wounds. An IV liquid is given to him.

"...." she stared at him.

He noticed it and smiled. He moved slowly, his burnt hand held her pristine white hands.

"Da...i...jo......bu." (daijobu = it's okay)

"...it's not." She said, holding back her tears.

"Why did you save me...?" She asked.

"I don't deserve this... not at all..." she sobbed. Holding his hand. It's disgusting, yet she held on tight.

He only replied with a smile. He cannot talk much.

He patted her hand with his thumb. The movement is stiff.

"....dai...jo....b..u."

~

Three days later, Nagasaki was bombed upon as well. A similar grief struck them.

"Why is this happening...?" The girl gritted her teeth. She bit her lip.

The boy opened his only surviving eye (as his right eye is blind due of it being burnt). He glanced to her.

He held her hand.

She stared to his eye. She soon broke the eye contact and glanced down. None of their families come. Not hers. Not the boy's either. Maybe they died. Maybe they fail to find them.

Can even his family know him? His face is reduced to a quarter.

...she remembered something.

"...mister... I never knew your name." She said.

He stared at her for a while. She's trying to look as if she is fine-- and she is not doing well on it.

If this is a bad dream, then so be it.

But this is not.

"....T...Ta..."

"....?" She leans in.

"...Ta...ka...shi."

"Takashi?"

He nodded. She also nodded in response.

"T-Takashi...san." she held his hand, it's burnt flesh and skin covered by bandages.

"........." none came from her mouth. His lips parted, but then they close again. Again. And again. Takashi is waiting.

"......a-are you thirsty?" She made a forced smile. Edges of her eyes are teary. Her eyes are wet.

Takashi could only nod.

~

Takashi isn't making any progress. Each day, his health deterioriates.

It's what to be expected. His whole body, burnt like that. Not to mention the radioactive poisoning.

One by one. The survivors died. Like dry leaves falling out from a dead tree. The thought terrifies her.

She is all alone. There is nothing that says her family is still alive.

All she has... is Takashi.

And he is only waiting for his death to come.

He kept on clutching onto a green ribbon. For what? For who? It left unanswered questions in the girl's head.

"T-Takashi-san, I'm going to get some food for you, okay?" She said. "W-water as well!" She stood up and ran off. Takashi watches her. Indeed, the sun is already high up. It's getting hot.

The heat brought unpleasant memories in Takashi. The scorching heat and pain he suffered right after the light died down. He clutches on his chest.

The girl took an average amount of their menu today. It's just a normal soup. It's tasteless, even. What the could ask in situation like this? The war led to famine in some areas of Japan, now this.

Seeing the supplies, she decided to skip the lunch. For Takashi.

She is just scared of being alone.

She carries the soup over to where Takashi is. Her hair is tied into a single ponytail. It's tied by the burnt red ribbon.

"Uwa!" She bumped into a person. A woman. She almost spilled the soup and water. But good thing only few drops are spilled. The water, however, was mostly spilled.

Shoot. What Takashi always wanted is a lot of water. Now she screwed.

"I-I'm sorry!" The girl bowed.

"It's okay, dear..." the woman assured. The girl widened her eyes at the sight. She had half of her face burnt. Beside her is a girl, seemed to be her daughter, who suffered rather minor injuries, as far as she could see.

"Are you okay, Mother?" Indeed the earlier girl is the woman's daughter. She noticed her yukata is wet.

"It's okay, Sachie..." the woman assured. Her voice is filled with depression.

The girl stared at her glass of water. Very few.

"S-sorry, I have to go back and get some water..." she said and quickly bolted.

"Ah wait, wait--" the woman's daughter tried to stop her but it seems the girl is a bit in a hurry.

Soon she returned to Takashi.

"M...izu-" he demands water in the moment he felt the girl's presence.

She helped him sit and drink his water. Then she feeds him. He choked a few times, but it's thankfully not fatal.

Yet again, Takashi left some of his food. He eats less and less each day. It's already the 4th day after the bomb detonated. Yesterday, Nagasaki was bombed upon.

"I-I'll... return these then-- um." She looked down.

"T-Takashi-san... you can... rest. I-I'll accompany you. L-later." Well yes, her spot is right beside him. It's because they arrived together.

Takashi responded with a smile and nod.

She returned the bowl and asked for more water. She refused to eat-- their food supply growing thin.

Soon, she spotted the earlier woman and girl. They are still around, looking at people. As if searching for someone.

"....excuse me, um..." she said.

"Who are you looking for?"
"Oh, it's you..." the woman said.

"I look for my son..." she said. Her daughter, Sachie, nodded.

"He's 19 years old. He skipped his summer training so... I guess he's still wearing his uniform...?"

...uniform? Summer training?

"Ah, and... his name is Tatsuhisa Takashi."

...Takashi.

The girl widened her eyes in the realization. "I-I knew someone-- his name is Takashi as well!"

The two reacted. The woman quickly grabbed her hand. The one which is covered by bandages, obscuring her burn wounds.

"Right this way, please!"

Soon, the family united.

The woman confirmed "Takashi" the girl mentioned is really her son. She cried. She cried. Either in joy of him surviving.

Or in grief because of his current state.

"Oh, please don't leave me like your father did, my child..." the woman cried. Takashi's right eye sheds tears. He leaned to his mother. His sister also joined in for a hug.

"I'm glad that you are still alive, Takashi."

The girl smiled, watching the family unite. Her family may not survive the blast, but she felt happiness when she saw her savior felt happiness even in their current situation.

"Thank you, my dear..." the woman held the girl's hand and kissed it. "Eh-- I--" she was caught off guard. Takashi and Sachie smiled.

"What is your name, my dear...?"

"N-name-- um." She looked down. She forgot her name for a slight moment.

"Miyazono Miyako."

~

Takashi's family is full of good people. His sister assisted Miyako on helping out Takashi, especially when it's time for dinner. His mother repeatedly thanked Miyako.

Miyako felt she doesn't deserve such thank you.

She never did.

Accompanying and helping Takashi for his daily needs is nothing compared to what Takashi had done.

"We should return to our own spots. Please, take care." Sachie said the parting words. Miyako waved, Takashi only nodded.

"They are really good people, Takashi-san." Miyako assured. Takashi stared to her.

...his vision blurred. He cannot look to Miyako properly. Even when the light are on amidst the dark night.

~

Five days after the blast.

More people die. The school's grounds become the place to burn their bodies. There's not enough land to bury them.

Miyako woke up. She found people in the camp soon grew thin. She frowned. She glanced to her side and found Takashi is still sleeping.

Right, water. She have to prepare water. She stood up and went to take some water for Takashi. Soon she returned.

She waited.

She waited.

She took the breakfast.

She waited.

He is not waking up or even moving.

"..." is it a good idea to wake him? Or not? She is confused.

Miyako made up her mind and gently tap Takashi's arm. She made sure it's not too hard, but still noticeable.

"Takashi-san... Takashi-san."

"Takashi-san."

"Please wake up, Takashi-san..."

Soon, Sachie came over. "Miyako, what's wrong?"

Miyako's expression turned into a scared expression. Her eyes are teary. "T-Takashi-san... he..." her words are cut off.

"Takashi, hey, Takashi!" It's Sachie's turn to try waking the boy.

"What is wrong, dear Sachie, Miyako...?" His mother shows up. Miyako glanced to her. No. No way she could tell her.

"Takashi!!" Sachie's voice rise. Takashi doesn't give any form of response.

"I'll call the doctor!" Miyako stood up and ran.

Soon, a doctor came. She pressed her finger to a spot right below Takashi's jaw.

We waited.

We waited.

"I... I'm sorry." She released Takashi.

Miyako's heart skipped a beat.

"....I'm afraid he is gone."

"........"

His mother is the one who first reacted. She screamed. She cried. She fell to her knees.

Sachie's eyes well up and tears fell as well. Soon her cry grew into a loud one. She covers her face.

Miyako felt nothing.

Empty.

"...no... no way."

The stranger who saved her.

Her eyes became hot and tears soon roll down.

He who saved her life. He who was kind enough to spare so much of his own money for her.

"No way..." she gritted her teeth. She gripped her red ribbon which she kept on her right wrist.

She held it tight.

"...why...why?!"

Why do we have to suffer like this?!?!

Miyako cried. Her chest hurts. It hurts. The image of the boy who saved her life kept flooding into her mind.

His smile.

Even when he's in that state.

Tears drop and fell onto the half-burnt red ribbon.

Why.

Why?

She never deserved this. Takashi never deserved this.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..." she held the corpse's hand.

"I'm sorry!!" She said. She put her hand in it's hand. She grip it's hand tight.

She remembered it.
And it shall be her life-long regret.

She never said "thank you".

~

When the day turns dark, Takashi's body was burned along with the others.

His mother cried on Sachie's shoulder, Sachie herself cried. Miyako looked down. She tried to wipe her tears to no avail. Miyako noticed a green ribbon hanging on Sachie's hair. What Takashi kept safe.

They all witness Takashi's body thrown to the fire.

Miyako took the half-burnt red ribbon and held it tight. This... is what he had left. His kindness.

The stranger who saved someone like her.

What he had sacrificed is his own life.

"I'm sorry..." is what she murmured this whole time.

~

A myth said that two mates are connected with a red thread.

But alas, it was burnt.
Death did them apart.

But a wish very strong,
Led fate to let them meet each other.

Once more.

~

12th of June 2017, Hiroshima.

A girl lifted her camera and photographed the breathtaking ruins.

The ruins of an event over 70 years ago. The building-- previously known as Hiroshima Exihibition Hall, survived the atomic bomb blast because it detonated right over it.

Now it's know as Atomic Bomb Dome.

She took another photo again. She smiled at the result.

She realized the red ribbon that tie half of her hair is loosening-- she tighten it back. She walked as she stared to her camera, looking at what she had captured about Hiroshima so far.

A tall boy soon passes her, right beside her.

A familiar feeling-- a familiar person. 

She stopped. He also stopped.

They glance at each other.

"Finally... I have found you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.3K 10.7K 26
This is the sequel of RRR, so new readers please read it before starting this book. Agneya, the soon to be crown prince of Rakshatra, was bounded by...
6.1M 400K 74
Losing this war means captured by the enemy empire and considered as their prostitutes and servants. Dreaming that situation made my heart race even...
6.6M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...
1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...