The Thieving Storm

By IsraAlkindi

--Sequel to The Hooded Figure-- The hooded figure is back after two years, and James is ecstatic. A day after... More

The Sequel
The Forest
The Home
The Informant
The Bounty Hunters
The Present
The Third
The Trip
The Plan
The Gates
The Keep
The Maid
The Amulet

The Meeting

36 4 1
By IsraAlkindi

6

The Meeting

               After leaving the inn, James and Tula went back James' home, where she helped him tend to his wounds. Riana was obviously very angry at the both of them.

               "You were gone for less than two hours," she commented, "how did you manage to get into a fight with grown men, James?"

               "Mom, I told you, they started it!" he defended, "It was completely self-defense!"

               "It just isn't like you," she sighed, shaking her head.

               "It was mostly a mistake on my part," Tula admitted, finishing up with James' bruises, "Put your shirt on."

               "No, it wasn't your fault it was theirs," James cut in, reaching for his shirt.

               "Don't put it on just yet," yes grandmother instructed as she came in with a pot of her healing herbs. She sat across of James and set to work rubbing the herbs into his bruised skin.

               "It doesn't matter whose fault it was," Riana said, "as long as it doesn't happen again."

               "You can't stop a kid from growing up, Riana," his grandmother said. "I remember when Aaron was 15. He used to get into fights all the time. As long as it's nothing serious, it's natural in a boy's life to get into a few squabbles."

               "Yeah, and look how Aaron ended up," Riana suddenly yelled, "I don't want to lose my son in the same way I lost my husband!" tears were streaming down her face. She quickly turned and ran into the kitchen, closing the door behind her. They could hear her muffled mournful cries seeping through the door and into the living room.

               "Here, drink this," his grandmother said, handing him a cup of some boiled herbs. James scrunched his nose at the smell but did as he was told. There was an awkward stretch of silence between the three of them, with only Riana's weeping through the door.

               His grandmother took the pot and the empty cup and made her way to the kitchen, "I guess I'll go talk to her," she said, her voice sounding wearier than usual.

               "Sorry about this," James sighed, pulling his shirt over his head. Tula said nothing.

               Sillia walked in, carrying a basket of eggs. Her smile quickly disappeared when she heard Riana crying. "What happened?" she asked, worried. Without waiting for a response she rushed into the kitchen with the other two women. After a second, Riana's cries were reduced to sniffles, and eventually stopped completely.

               James and Tula waited patiently in the living room until Riana came out, followed by James' grandmother and Sillia. His mother walked up to him and hugged him tightly.

               "I'm sorry honey," she whispered into his ear, "I'm just worried about you."

               "I know mom," James said, hugging her back. "I'm sorry, too."

               "As am I," Tula said, "I can promise that it won't happen again. James getting hurt, I mean. They'll still be fights, though."

               Riana laughed quietly, "That's good enough for me."

               "Well, I'll be going-" Tula started saying, but James' grandmother quickly cut her off. 

               "No, you're not going anywhere. Not until you have lunch."

               "I don't think that's a very good idea," Tula explained, but his grandmother wouldn't hear it. She pushed Tula into the kitchen and into one of the chairs. Tula sighed impatiently but conceded anyway. Riana and James walked in after them and began immediately setting the table. Sillia seated herself next to Tula.

               "You have to try our lunch at least once," his grandmother said, "It's the least we could do for you."

               "I told you there's no reason to thank me," Tula repeated, knowing it would be futile.

               "Oh, mom, Tula and I are going to train in the forest after lunch," James said, pulling the extra chair over to the table and sitting next his grandmother, "Is that okay?"

               "What about your wounds?" his mother asked, sitting between him and Sillia.

               "They're just a few bruises," James explained, "I hardly feel them anymore."

               "That's because of your grandma's herbs," Sillia said, searching the table for her fork, "She's a miracle worker, isn't she?"

               "Oh, you flatter me," his grandmother smiled, reaching across the table and handing Sillia her fork.

               "Herbs or not, you're still injured, you should at least rest for a day!" Riana stated before taking another bite of her meal.

               "It's not like I'm going to be fighting anyone, mom!" James complained while chewing his food, "I'm just going to throw a few knives."

               His mother sighed, "Fine, but you have to do your chores when you get back."

               "Of course, thanks mom!" James grinned.

               "Don't talk with your mouth full," Sillia ordered.

               "Sorry…" James sighed, "Wait, how did you know?"

               "I may be blind, but I can still hear," Sillia explained.

Tula suddenly stood, surprising everyone at the table. "Thank you for the meal," she said, bowing her head, before heading for the kitchen door. They looked at her plate, with the exception of Sillia, and were stunned to find it empty already. "James, I'll be waiting outside," she added.

James drained the rest of his food before running after her, but he froze just before opening the door and rushed back to the living room. "I forgot my knives!" he called while running up to his room.

"How can you be so excited about something like this?" His mother laughed, shaking her head.  

"Boys," Sillia said, as if that explained everything.

After a second, James ran back into the kitchen carrying a small pack, which held his three throwing knives and his dagger. "Bye, I'll see you later," he called, running out the back door, a grin plastered on his face.

"Don't be too long!" his mother called after him, but he was already gone. He joined Tula by the edge of the forest and they made their way to the cliff face together. However, they only walked a few paces before Tula suddenly tensed up.

"What?" James asked, but Tula put a finger to her lips to quiet him.

"I can feel a presence. Listen," she whispered. Tula closed her eyes and stretched her senses. James watched her then did the same. After a second, he heard what she meant; a shuffle, somewhere behind them. He opened his eyes to tell Tula, only to see that she was already reaching for her knife. To James surprise though, she paused, as if thinking.

               "Come out," she called. James was stunned. Tula was giving the stalker a chance. This was definitely not the Tula from two years ago. "Joshua Kent, I know it's you. I don't sense any hostility from you. If you don't show yourself, I'll have to find you myself, and that will be very painful for you." She didn't say it loudly, it wasn't in her nature. James feared the poor man hadn't even heard her.

               A second later, however, Joshua stepped forward, his hands up in surrender. "How lucky am I that a fair maiden like you remembered my name," he grinned, bringing his arms down.

               "Oh, you’re the guy from the bar!" James exclaimed. "Thanks for all your help back there," he said, bowing to show his gratitude, "even though Tula could've handled it."

               "From the way she handles her knives, and the way she sensed my presence, I know that she could have taken care of it. But what kind of gentlemen doesn't stand up for a woman?" He explained. "So your names Tula," he said, extending his hand, "and a beautiful name it is."

               "What do you want?" Tula interrogated, ignoring his outstretched hand.

               "Nothing much," Joshua admitted, "I just wanted to see what kind of person you were."

               "So you followed us?" James asked.

               "No," Tula cut in, "I would have sensed him if he had followed us out of the Inn."

               "It's true, I just asked Matt where you two were staying and after taking care of the men, I made my way to your house and waited outside for you."

               "And when Tula came out you followed her to the forest," James finished off for him. "You must be very good if Tula didn't sense you before."

               Tula rolled her eyes and started walking away. "Wait, where are you going?" Joshua asked, running after her, closely followed by James.

               "Thank you, I don't need you, good bye," Tula said, but he just continued following her.

               "Wait Tula, can't he just stay and practice aiming with us?" James pondered.

               "No" Tula said.

               "Please?" James pleaded.

               "No" Tula replied.

               "Are you sure?" Joshua asked, "I am very good at aiming, especially with by bow and arrow."

               Tula was quiet for a long period of time.

               "Tula?" James called.

               "Fine, just today," she finally said.

               James and Joshua cheered joyfully, and then high-fived each other.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 5.1K 24
Living in Gotham city isn't easy. Falling for a anti hero is even harder. Katherine Blackwood struggles to get by in her life. A trainee nurse in the...
4K 198 12
Waking up on the edge of a random rooftop is never a good thing. Add to that the gap in his memories, the 8 year outdated suit he's wearing, and the...
Immortal Love By Jay

Teen Fiction

1.7K 84 42
*Sequel to The Runaway. You don't have to read that book to understand this one.* Skylar Perez is a loud and social girl. Ever since she was small sh...
3 0 43
This is for all of my Facebook friends who want to go back and read my Hunger Games posts but don't want to go through the hassle of finding the orig...