The Mistake

By laceycass

Highest ranking: #1 in Teen Fiction #1 in Teen • • • Samantha Rosewood ha... More

Escape
Faking It
Stalker
Bonfire
One of Those Days
Drama Queen
First Fight
Blackmail
Nightmare
False Hope
Losing It
Waves
Burden
Spilled Secret
Half Truths
Reaction
Bruised
Beneath
Realization
Hesitation
The Date
Reasons
Slip Away
Five A.M.
Excuse
Again
Party Crasher
The Leather Jacket
Warning
Promise
Distance
Distraction
Recognition
Fear
Red
The Deal
Guilty
Past
Cover
Over
A Lie and a Promise
Seen
Heat Wave
Blue Cap
Oblivious
Shifted
Buzzed
Slurred
Remorse
Missed Call
Fooled
Relived
Emma
Choice
Change
Slow
Push
Spiral
Ache
Revealed
Buried Memories
The Football Game
Through
Over
Day One

Tension

14.2K 565 124
By laceycass

"Well, isn't this interesting." Nick said, amusedly looking back and forth at me and Jacob. Jacob didn't seem to be enjoying this.

I hurried to the door, brushing a hand through my hair hastily. "Jacob. Hi. What are you doing here?"

He kept his gaze fixed on Nick as he answered. "You forgot your phone in my car yesterday." He finally looked at me, and gave me a small smile. "Just thought you'd want it back."

He took my phone out of his pocket and held it out for me. Nick just had a smug look on his face as he watched. Why was he so entertained?

"Oh, thanks. I hadn't realized I'd forgotten it." I chuckled, trying to cut through the tension. I smacked my lips as their staredown kept playing out. "So Nick was just on his way out." My hands nudged him and I lightly pushed him away, to no avail. I frowned. This boy was like a damn boulder.

Nick turned to me, smirking. "See you tomorrow, Sammi." He winked and left, once again bumping into Jacob on his way out.

I mouthed a silent what? to myself as I looked muddled at him.

Sammi? And the wink? What the hell was that about?

"So you're... friends now?" Jacob asked, snapping me out of my confusion, and his eyebrows stitched together.

I snorted. "Of course not. We just had this assignment and- it's a long story."

I took my phone from Jacob's rough hand as he looked at me intently. "Thanks. For the phone." I swallowed a little and looked down. I didn't want him to think he made me nervous, but ah, the wonders of having anxiety; it made it impossible to hide.

He scratched the back of his ear and smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, no problem. See you later, Sam."

He walked away and I took a deep breath. Being with the boy who frustrated me and the boy that made me nervous had been enough stress for the day.

***

Nick

I slammed my front door shut and made my way into the same big house I'd lived in for the past couple of years. The modern furniture and ample living room and the paintings hung around the house still managed to make me stare in awe for a couple of seconds, even after all this time. It was so different from what my mom and I had those years ago. Getting used to it was a challenge, it was so... over the top. Not that I was complaining.

"Nick, is that you?" The familiar voice rang out from the kitchen. I shrugged the jacket off my shoulders and walked in, hoping to see the usual delicate silhouhette of my mother standing in the kitchen, waiting for me.

My face turned sour when I saw David in his suit, his hands rested on my mother's waist.

"Hey there, Nicholas. Your mom and I were wondering if you wanted to come with Alex and Cassie to dinner tonight." David said, eyes flickering between me and my mom expectantly. "It's that new asian place they're opening up around the corner."

I kissed my mom on the cheek, ignoring David.

"So, will you come?" She asked me.

"I'm busy." I grabbed an apple from the counter and bit into it, walking away from them.

"I don't know what else to do, Diana. Your kid hates me."

"Oh, David. He doesn't hate you. He's just... weary about all this. But, I'll talk with him, alright?"

"No, Diana, it's okay. I get it. After what you two went through with your exhusband... it's okay." He sighed.

I lay on my bed, wide awake as I heard the soft murmurs of my mom and David coming from the living room.

I'd learned to drown them out by now, but it seemed like that was all they ever talked about.

Sitting up on my bed, I gazed around my room, looking at the spot where my boxing gloves usually sat. My eyes narrowed when I saw they weren't there.

The door to my bedroom flew open and before I could register who it was running into my room, she was already bouncing on the bed with my black boxing gloves, which were way too big for her, strapped loosely on her hands.
Her blond hair bounced up and down on my bed as she squealed in excitement, and I couldn't help but laugh and shake my head. I swore Cassie had a hyperactivity problem.

Sighing, I moved to gently get her off my bed. My hands reached out, but she dodged them and punched me weakly instead. "Nick! Are you going to teach me how to box today? You promised, remember?"

"Well, what does your dad say about that?"

She gestured at me to come closer. Amused, I kneeled down on the floor and she whispered. "He doesn't have to know!" I laughed and strapped the boxing gloves off her hands as she pouted.

"Good enough. Why don't we get you some old gloves of mine that fit first?"

"Really?" She grinned widely, showing her gap tooth. "You're the best step-brother ever!" I sighed. I really doubt that, Cassie.

***

Samantha

I knew when I got up this morning to go for my usual run that I'd probably see him. I really hated the fact that he maybe still thought I was stalking him, because most of the time, I couldn't tell when he was kidding around or not. He was confusing like that, which frustrated me.

Either way, I had no choice. He told me to meet him at his place, when I had no idea where he lived, except for the fact that he was a few blocks away from me. And on the top of that hill was the only place where I could be sure to find him and ask about it. So I went up there and once again, hoped he would be there, and at the same time, that he wouldn't because at least I'd say I tried.

"You want to know where I live?"

I sighed. "No duh. What made you think I knew?" He opened his mouth to talk but I held a hand in front of him before he could say something witty. "You know what? Don't answer that."

"Well, you didn't have to come all the way here just to ask me about it. Maybe if you'd asked before I left yesterday, you'd know." He shaked his head at me in disappointment, probably thinking about how dumb I was.

My teeth clenched. "Let me remind you you're not the reason I come up here at five am. Get over yourself, because I won't just stop coming here because of you."

"Sure, Sam." He kept his gaze on the view, but spoke with a condescieng tone, clearly itching to get out of here. "Whatever floats your boat." He completed with an cold edge to his voice.

My mind wondered to the sweet possibility that maybe if he hated seeing me here so much, he'd stop coming here at the same time, but it sure as hell wasn't going to be me.

He gave me his address and left again. I'd have to come up here more often. It seemed like I always made him run off. Which was, of course, better for me anyways.

I closed my eyes and tried to focus on my breathing, leaning back into the comfy chair in his room. The sweet silence lasted a couple seconds before Nick's voice burst my perfect little bubble in which I pretended he didn't exist.

"Oh my god. You're impossible to work with." He said with a muffled voice, probably drowned out because his head was buried in his hands in exasperation, but my eyes remained closed.

"I don't understand that part. It's your turn. I've basically done everything else." I responded calmly.

This was basically what had been happening for the last two hours. It was either me working, and him chastising me because 'it didn't sound right', or me giving up and him chastising me because I didn't want to work anymore.

Sure, he had done a couple of pages, but let's face it, he didn't even care about the work. He just enjoyed putting me through the emotional strain and irritation his presence gave me.

"Man, I don't know what Jacob sees in you." I could almost hear the smile in his voice.

My eyes flew open. "What do you mean?"

"You're pretty oblivious to everything, aren't you?"

"Jacob doesn't... like me." I said with a hushed voice, twirling a strand of hair around nervously.

"Now remember, Jacob is a little unhinged, so it's understandable that he likes you." He pointed out.

That sent my blood boiling. "Unhinged? That's- Why do you even hate each other so much, anyways?"

He looked at me with intensity, a wave of seriousness swept over his face. "You really want to know?"

"Uh... I guess." I was starting to freak out with how serious he was.

"It all started when I stole his Barbie ten years ago-"

A frustrated grunt escaped my mouth in sheer annoyance. I was mentally preparing myself for anything but that. "Ugh! You're so immature, Nick." He just kept laughing and stood up from the edge of his bed.

"Well, come on, you didn't really expect me to tell you all my secrets, did you?" He smirked amusedly.

"What horrible thing could you have done to Jacob to make you want to keep it a secret so bad?" I was even more curious by the fact that he didn't want to say a word about it.

"What makes you think I did something to him?" He asked, carefully studying me.

"I mean, come on. He's one of the sweetest guys I know, and you're, well... you." I shrugged.

"That wasn't very nice. You almost hurt my feelings." He frowned and settled on the modern sofa next to me.

"At least then I'd know you actually have a heart under all that cold exterior." I held a hand over my heart to emphasize.

"That's just wishful thinking, Sammi. Don't get your hopes up." He stated while stretching his legs out on top of me as he lay on the sofa.

I shoved his legs off. "I won't. And stop calling me Sammi, it's freaking me out."

He grinned widely. "All the more reason to keep saying it, then."

I stood up from the sofa and faced him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Nick, we really need to finish. The deadline's tomorrow." I nudged his leg with my shoe.

"I know that."

"And you probably don't care, do you?"

"Me? I love deadlines." He said with a frown. "I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." He smiled sarcastically.

I stared at him with a cold gaze, and he shifted in his seat slightly.

He grunted. "Fine, if it'll make you shut up."

I stood grinning and pleased, until a second later, a sharp blow to my lower back made me groan in pain. I let out a small scream and fell on my butt, which led to me being sprawled out on Nick's hardwood floor, clutching the sore spot on my back.

Dazed, I looked up at the white ceiling and was surprised to see a little girl with long blond hair dangling over me. Her widened eyes and triumphant smile made me confused as a smooth laugh came from behind us.

Nick popped into view while I struggled to get on my feet. It didn't take long to see he was extremely amused with the situation. He couldn't contain his laughter as I struggled to stand up. "Ow." I said to no one in particular.

"That was awesome, Cassie." Nick reached over and gave the girl a high five. That's when I saw the big boxing gloves strapped on her hands.

Yep, she definitely hit me.

Nick rolled his eyes and held his hand out to help me get on my feet. I waved him off and stood up on my own, while he kept laughing.

"I'm Cassie. Nick's my stepbrother." She said as I got on my feet. I never knew Nick had a stepsister. Which made her Alex's sister. It made sense now that I looked at her. Alex and her were so alike.

"Well, you can really throw a mean punch, huh Cassie?" I said, unable to be upset over her punching me in the back because of those adorable doe eyes that stared back at me.

Her smile got wider and her face brightened. "You really mean it? Nick has been showing me. I want to box like him when I'm older."

I turned my head to look over at Nick. He was smiling at Cassie, an adoring look on his face. It was so different from how he always was, it took me by surprise.

"Wait, she knows about your... underground boxing?" I whispered to Nick. He just shook his head once.

"Nick, can we practice now? I really, really want to." She pouted and I smiled at her. She was so cute, and the fact that she was in a girly pink dress with boxing gloves on her hands was  funny and adorable.

"Not now. I'm busy, but maybe later."

She nodded and sighed dramatically. Nick kneeled in front of her. "Let's put these back so you don't lose them again, alright?" She huffed and held her hands out in front of her, resigning. Nick chuckled and took her gloves off, walking out of the room to put them away afterwards.

Cassie suddenly reached out for my hand. "Come on, I want to show you my room." Her small palm grasped mine tightly as she pulled me out of Nick's room and through a large hallway.

We came to a door at the end, and she pushed it open, still not letting go of my hand. A large room with pink walls and a plush carpet appeared behind the door. It was fully furnished. Dozens of stuffed animals lay on the queen bed neatly. Dolls and barbies stood on top of drawers with their own houses. If I were still a little kid, this would be like my paradise. I didn't know why, but I got excited seeing all of that. She must have a great time playing with all that stuff.

Cassie led me to a big couch and told me to sit down.

She turned to me. "Do you like my room?"

"Your room is awesome, Cassie." I gestured at the whole place.

"Well, you can come play anytime if you want!" She said, excited as she brought a black teddy bear  that was laying on her bed and gave it to me.

"I'd love that." I said. If only Nick didn't live here, I would probably not mind coming here all the time.

"Can you take care of Cuddles while I do your hair? He doesn't like to be alone." She said and put it in my hands.

I laughed. "Of course. Cuddles is a good name for your bear."

"I think so too." She giggled adorably and I let my hair loose from the ponytail I had worn.

"What's your name?" She asked, tugging at my hair as she tried to brush through it with her fingers.

"Sam." I said before sitting down on the chair next to his bed. "How old are you, Cassie?" She held up six fingers in front of me.

"Are you Nick's new girlfriend?" She asked suddenly,

I shook my head no and laughed at the mere idea of it. That would be a horrible thing. "Trust me, I'm not his girlfriend. He has one already, remember?"

"But he told me he broke up with her." She frowned. They broke up? "I wish you were his girlfriend now. You're pretty." She said and I smiled. "And nicer than the other girl."

"Well, thank you Cassie. But trust me, Nick and I will never be together." I'd rather go blind.

***

Nick

I made my way through the wide hall back to my room after putting my old gloves back.

I walked a little faster when I remembered when Sam asked me if Cassie knew about the underground boxing. Shit. She better not say a thing to Cassie about that.

I turned the doorknob and frowned when I saw my room was empty. They were both gone. Cassie must've taken her to her room. The only thing Sam left behind was her backpack. It lay on the sofa, slightly tilted with the zipper open. The contents threatened to spill over the floor.

I was on my way to close the zipper when the door opened, and Sam walked in with a small smile on her face. Yep, Cassie had that effect on people. But she looked... different. Something with her hair, maybe? Honestly, I couldn't bring myself to care enough to try and find out what exactly it was.

***

Samantha

I looked into the mirror in Nick's room discreetly, shaking my head and smiling. I couldn't believe I let Cassie paint my eyelids with her glimmery baby pink eyeshadow. The hint of blush she had smeared on me was also there, but thankfully, they weren't too visible.

"We're finished, so I should get going." I said and turned to Nick, who was too engrossed doing something on his phone to answer. He just waved his hand dismissively without looking up at me.

I waited for another second, just in case he spoke to me, before grabbing my backpack and zipping it up. "See you Monday." I murmured under my breath and turned to leave. As I expected, he didn't glance at me once.

I said goodbye to Cassie and walked away from his house as I wondered why he seemed so different around people than how he was with Cassie.

He was the type of guy who didn't care what anyone said, or what they thought of him and never did anything to please anyone except for himself. And I guess a lot of people admired his confidence and attitude, despite the way he treated people.

But then my mind kept drifting to how he looked at Cassie. She seemed to love him, too. I wouldn't have been able to picture him being nice to his stepsister before today. Of course, not that it would change the way he was with everyone else, including me. I sighed. He really didn't like me, did he?

It was eleven pm. I was sitting on my bed with the shades drawn, only a dim lamp shining light on the room. There were still shadows lingering in the corners, but it was all the light my eyesight could take.

I tiredly rubbed my eyes and blinked a few times to shake the blurriness and grogginess off. Aside from the project Nick and I had just finished, I still had to do my calculus homework.

That was what I got for leaving all my homework until Sunday night. It wasn't too hard for me though, I actually understood it.

As soon as I had finished, I stuck my hand in my backpack to fetch my pills. I remembered to take my pills every morning and night without a problem. It was my routine, and these were the first pills that actually worked. I had gone a couple of days without the anxiety clouding my mind all the time, and I was grateful for that.

I frowned when my hand got hold of everything that was in the backpack, the feel of some notebooks, a pen, and a history book. But not the pills.

I spilled everything on my bed, my hands feeling under notebooks and again in the backpack. But the cylinder shaped orange bottle was not there.

My breathing got heavier as I frantically rummaged through my bag again and again, to no avail. No, this couldn't be happening.

My pills were gone and I couldn't do this without them. Those pills were what kept me from losing myself in the midst of the fear and anxiousness. Those pills were what kept me safe.

What was I supposed to do without them?

----
Please don't forget to vote &/or comment if you liked this chapter and would like to see more. 💗 Thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

459K 9K 51
Nathan Kingston has been forgotten by the world. A dad that fucked off when he was young and a mother gone days at a time with work he feels alone. E...
347K 8.2K 31
BEWARE: the writing in this is from when I was younger, and is extremely cringey and cliche. I advise you not to read this because the writing in thi...
449K 12.9K 41
[[✨COMPLETED✨]] • We both inched closer and closer until our lips were brushing against each other like some sort of tease. But before we could go a...
169K 2.4K 21
Welcome to the life of teen fiction and teen romance be prepared to meet the mind of the younger generation... Well the extreme side anyways ;) Cool...