Bumps In The Road / Paul Laho...

By veemarc

Kira West is a powerful witch with a strong bloodline. A tragic event in Kira's tween years instigated a shif... More

Bumps In The Road -Paul Imprint Story-
1. First Day
2. Hostile Introductions
3. Catch Ups
4. Fiery Rage
6. Stern Discussions
7. Soft Spots
8. Revelations
9. Boiling Point
10. Send Me Back For All I Care
11. Fooled Me Twice
12. Ignorance Isn't Always Bliss
13. Seeking Redemption
14. End The Inevitable
15. BBQ Jealousy
16. An Infliction
17. The Aftermath
18. Bonfire Drama
19. Messed Up
20. Tracker
21. The Proposals
22. Breaking the Spell
23. Unnerved
24. Sneaking Around
25. Potential Progress
26. Deep Suspicions
27. I Need Space
28. Cheek Not Lip
29. You Too?
30. The Party and The Confessions
31. The Aftermath
32. The Battle
33. Girls Day Out
34. The Cabin and A Big Question
35. Home Sweet Home
36. Talk Dirty To Me
37. Have To Love A Surprise
38. He Needs To Phase
39. The Wedding I
40. The Wedding II
41. Dissappeared
42. The Phone Call
43. Taken To a Foreign Land
44. The Anxious Wave
45. Getting Her Back
46. Rumours
47. Interruptions
48. She's Here
49. The Huntress
50. Letters To Me
51. Her Past
52. Let's Go To The Cliff
Epilogue

5. Stirring Tension

29.2K 668 299
By veemarc

Chapter 5

"Did you have fun at Jacob Black's house the other day?" Paul asked, while we sat side-by-side in his truck, driving through the quiet streets of La Push, our destination being the high school. Jared and Embry had jumped into the tray of the truck, leaving Paul and I to occupy each other's company in the cab. We hadn't spoken a word to one another, partially because I'd been giving him a slight cold shoulder. For an unknown reason, it had bothered me that he hadn't been on my side when Emily sent me to bed the other night (that the boys found themselves around the dining table covered in burns). Although the matter was miniscule, it had felt like a bigger deal. It was indescribable.

"Yes, Jacob has been really nice" I responded curtly, my eyes unmoved from the windshield. I'd noticed that there had been something in Paul's tone that suggested he wasn't pleased with the arrangement, but I wasn't going to humour him by playing this odd game. Plus, I wasn't happy with him either.

"I'm sure" Paul mumbled. His annoyance annoyed me.

"What's the issue, mate?" I snapped back at him, my eyes narrowing as I turned to him.

"Nothing, I just asked a question," He responded, "No need to get your panties in a twist."

"Don't be snarky then," I grumbled, crossing my arms with irritation, before adding childishly, "Plus, you sound like the one with the twisted knickers." He grunted in response, letting the conversation go just as quickly as it started. Paul brought the truck to a halt in our usual parking spot and I couldn't slide out of the tense confinements faster. I joined Embry and Jared at the back of the truck. Embry sent me a tight-lipped grin and then glanced over his shoulder at the noticeably stiff Paul who joined us as well.

"Ready for class?" He offered. I nodded quickly.

"Hold on, Embry." I heard Paul's voice call as he joined our circle. His eyes seemed trained on me as he stepped towards us and I sensed a determination in him as he neared us. "I need to speak for Kira for a moment." Embry nodded and offered me a tight lipped smile.

"I'll catch up with you for first period." I nodded and leaned against the side of the truck, watching Embry and Jared walk away.

"What's the matter, Paul?" I wondered.

"I wanted to ask you the same thing. Why are you annoyed with me?" He asked.

"I'm not." Lie.

"You are. What did I do?" I let out a sigh.

"You didn't do anything." I wasn't about to tell him about being annoyed that he didn't side with me the other night and should I completely forget about his cold first impression. He definitely wasn't the friendliest of people and I would be happy to remain an acquaintance with him, at the bare minimum.

"I must have done something. What did I do that's annoyed you so much?" I felt him inch closer. I tried to ignore the fact that my heart beat a little faster.

"Why do you care? You haven't much of an effort to be friends like Jared and Embry did, especially the way you introduced yourself. No wonder you aren't too popular" I responded harshly, narrowing my eyes at him in annoyance. I watched as a hint of sadness passed his eyes and his stature seemed to stiffen. His eyes dropped to the floor, before he lifted them back to meet mine.

"Is that why you're annoyed with me?" He asked, his brows pulling together. I shrugged, half expecting his next words to be an apology.

"I'm chill. Obviously you have some unresolved issues."

"Okay, then." The finality of his words caught me off guard, as did the lack of apology.

"Okay."

"See you at lunch." He turned on his heels and made his way towards the hallways, leaving me confused and flustered. The conversation had been quick and short, yet seemingly leaving just as much unresolved then when we started. It felt like no tension had been eased between us, nor had any strain been added. With a deep sigh, I trudged my way towards the hallway.

I finally reached my locker and let out a sigh as I unpacked my homework for English onto the metal shelving, feeling my shoulders slump. For some reason, I felt drained and a little defeated. A tiny thought popped into my mind and I wondered if it was because of the tension between Paul and I. Another small part of me wished some ease would have come from out conversation, but naturally I had to tighten the knot rather than alleviate it. But surely I couldn't feel this because of this one guy (that I hardly knew), right? I didn't even like the guy; let alone care about keeping the peace between us. Plus, whom did he think he was speaking to me the way he did about Jacob and putting all the blame on me for the tension between us.

"Hey, babe" An unfamiliar voice greeted me. I almost didn't turn my head, but a body suddenly appeared in my peripheral. I looked over to find a boy leaning against the locker beside mine whilst wearing one of the most arrogant grins I'd seen in a while. I didn't personally recognise him, but I'd seen him hang around Hilary like a bad stench; since it was such a small school, it felt like I'd seen all the faces it had to offer. I noticed, over his shoulder, three of his mates standing by; watching the scene before them like it was the latest episode of their favourite show.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" I asked, feigning confusion and turning my attention away from the books I was filing on the locker shelf.

"Well, Kira West, that is why I'm here...to introduce myself and properly welcome you to La Push High. I'm Matt." He extended his hand, which I shook reluctantly. It was easily detected that this boy held himself at a high regard.

"You decided to welcome me nearly a week after my arrival?" I questioned, genuinely confused now. His grin tipped slightly as he leaned in closer, lowering his voice.

"Well, the beef heads who think they run this school have been on your heels since you arrived. I finally caught you on your own and thought I'd say hello and see how you've been settling into La Push High."

"Beef heads?" I questioned. Surely, he wasn't referring to Sam's friends. I may not be on the best terms with Paul, but it didn't mean I was about to let this egotistical guy talk bad about the people who had welcomed me into their home with open arms. Particularly Embry and Jared.

"Jared Cameron, Embry Call, Paul Lahote... those chumps." He scoffed. I lifted my brow and stepped back, eyeing him up and down. He seemed taken back for a second and frowned in confusion.

"Hmm, well, they look like they have more to offer than yourself" I retorted, catching him off guard. Behind him, two of his friends started laughing while the third seemed to look on in amusement, but didn't make as boisterous of a display like the other two did.

"Yeah, well, steroids only do so much for someone for so long" Matt sneered out, his friendly face crumbling away fast. Matt's accusations were quickly annoying me senselessly and my need to defend them rose to the surface. If there was something that wasn't new for me, it was defending my friends when they were wrongly talked about. Even though I hadn't been here for long, their kindness was greatly appreciated and I wasn't about to let some cocky jock trample all over their good names.

"Believe what you will, Matt. But they seem to be doing all right for themselves and they definitely have some decent attention from the opposite team. Oh, is that where this resentment is coming from? A bit bitter because Hilary keeps running back to Paul?" I wondered, tipping my head slightly. Matt seemed to straighten up, his cool demeanour slipping from his grasp now.

"No! But, damn, by the sounds of it you've had a slice of each of those beef heads. There goes the fresh meat" He grumbled and curled his lip with disgust.

"Now, now, Matt. No need to be so bitter and start throwing accusations around." Suddenly, Matt pushed himself closer, getting into my face more than I liked.

"I'm not bitter. And the only reason Hilary runs back to that Lahote guy is because she is blind to what is in front of her" Matt growled, his mood turning completely on its head. His candid words were surprising me though, most people usually tried to deflect these kinds of things and undermine the argument, but it was almost like Matt was admitting to the truth.

"And I'm assuming you're the one she's not seeing?" I wondered. His emotions were easy to tap into, the feelings of anger and rejection almost seeping from his pores. It was sad in all honesty. His body loomed closer to mine, causing my back to press against the open locker door, in my attempt to create more distance between us. But another voice caught our attention and cut in.

"Hey, back-off!" Paul's large form came into view, as he stepped between Matt and I. His presence was enough to push Matt back, which was amusing to watch on its own. Paul didn't even have to touch him. It was interesting though that once Paul arrived; Matt quickly rebuilt his cocky demeanour. Matt mockingly put his hands up.

"It's all good, Lahote! Calm down, before you pop a vein" Matt teased, retreating backwards.

"Scurry off and leave Kira alone." Paul warned. Usually I might interject to speak for myself, but this interaction was amusing enough that I thought I might just watch it play out instead.

"Yeah, right. You've got it pretty good, don't ya?" Matt teased, his eyes scanning the hallway around us, noticing that we'd captured a number of our peer's attention now. There was a hint of anticipation in the air and the tension mingled with it like a seasoning. "You've got your fingers in so many pies! Why don't you leave some for us, yeah?" Paul's nostrils flared and he angrily took a step forward, his eyes threatening to do severe damage if he could.

"Why don't you shut the hell up?"

"It's true though, Pauly. Seriously, she hasn't been here a week and you and your friends are breathing down her neck."

"You don't know shit. Keep your mouth shut before I close it for you" Paul threatened, stepping closer to Matt, who felt a burst of confidence and decided he'd try to square up to Paul's large frame. But it was that moment; I decided I should probably cut the show short. I jumped forward and wrapped my hand around Paul's forearm, sliding in between the two guys.

"Alright, that's enough. I'm sure Hilary needs you for something or you've got a class to go to, yeah?" Matt scoffed and adjusted the backpack that hung low on his back.

"Yeah, okay. Let me know if you ever need any help then, Kira." Matt sent me a wink and turned back to his mates, as they made their way down the hallway.

"What a cocky little shit?" I growled in annoyance. Paul let out a growl of his own and turned to me with a frown.

"Did he touch you?" He asked, a hint of worry somewhere in his tone. I shook my head. The genuine look of concern in his eyes, as he scanned over me for marks, seemed to soften the strain between us. Despite our rocky start, he'd jumped into that awkward interaction to my aid.

"Nah, it was nothing. The way he was going on sounds like he thinks God carved him personally. But when he started saying some stupid stuff about you guys I had to knock him back a peg or two" I shrugged. Paul shook his head.

"Dumbasś thinks he is God's gift" Paul grumbled in annoyance. If I've agreed with Paul on anything, it'd be that fact.

"He just sounded so salty over you guys. I think I gave him the impression that I've been with all of you, which I'd say is a record...only been here a week or so" I admitted, turning back to my locker with a chuckle.

"How'd he get that idea? What did you say?" Paul questioned.

"He called you guys 'beef-heads' and talked about you guys taking steroids. I just called him out on his jealousy and defended your honour," I recounted. "And they say chivalry is dead." Paul narrowed his eyes slightly, not taking to my joke.

"How do you know we don't take steroids?" He wondered. I paused. Because I know you're a shape-shifter.

"I don't. But I consider Jared and Embry my friends, so I defended them. Simple."

"Aren't I your friend?"

"Hmm, you don't seem to like me much," He opened his mouth to respond, but I cut him off by closing my locker and interrupting him. "Which is mutual. No hard feelings, Lahote." He closed his mouth and there was a hint of something behind those mysterious brown eyes of his. It felt like our moment of friendliness was slowly wearing off.

"I think we just started on the wrong foot." Paul commented, throwing me off guard.

"Well, you didn't exactly make the greatest first impression. If my memory isn't wrong, you literally stared at me with this weird look and got so angry that Sam had to ask you to leave. Is that a normal way you meet people?" I reminded him, my mind flashing back to that odd morning and all those strange feelings that went with it. Most distinguishably, I remember a strong connection between us that I'd never felt with any other person before.

"Not typically" Paul shook his head and scratched his jaw uncomfortably.

"Oh, well, I guess I feel sorta special now."

"Kira, it wasn't you...I was having an off day." I nodded.

"Yeah, sure. Look, Paul, you don't have to explain yourself. It's fine, rea—" The sound of the bell interrupted the conversation. "Don't worry about explaining yourself. We should head to class though. I'll catch you at lunch." With that I turned and practically ran to class. Literally, saved by the bell.

I didn't tell Embry about the interaction with Matt and Paul because I knew that if I brought it up, then I'd have to talk about it. Plus, I'd rather forget about the entire exchange. From Matt saying all those rumours about the boys and practically attacking them to my conversation with Paul about out friendship...if that's what I should call it. More like mutual exchanges, but up to this point it hadn't been more than a couple of back-and-forth chats, never anything too in depth. Perhaps, I should have made more of an effort in our conversation, as Paul seemed to be doing so, but I also wanted to protect myself. I wasn't about to spend these next few months going through a roller coaster of emotions. This was only supposed to be a temporary fix for my mother and then I'd go home and things could go back to normal.

Opposed to my unsteady relationship with Paul, I'd definitely befriended Embry with much more ease and we were much closer as a result, yet the way I felt around Embry to Paul differed dramatically. Talking to Embry reminded me of talking to Will, whereas talking to Paul felt completely different. The conversations left me more on edge and seemed to make me feel more vulnerable.

"You seem off" Embry noted quietly, leaning closer so that I'd hear him. I turned to him and shrugged.

"Not a fan of this class." He narrowed his eyes, not convinced.

"Did something happen?"

"Nah, all good."

"Was it Paul?" I let out a huff.

"Why do you always assume Paul is the reason for my moods?" I hissed, not meaning to sound as annoyed as I did. Embry narrowed his eyes at me in scrutiny, ignoring my tone.

"Because it's generally the reason" He bluntly responded. It was my turn to scrutinise him.

"Nothing happened, we just had a conversation this morning after another conversation I had this morning." Embry's face contorted into one of confusion before it morphed into a deadpanned expression.

"You're really making me work for this, aren't you?"

"You asked."

"You could have answered with a simple yes." I paused, my eyes turning to check see how much attention the teacher was paying to us. Luckily, her eyes were trained on her laptop screen, as she ignored the quiet chatter in the room.

"We just chatted about being friends because that morning we met was brought up and I just didn't want to talk about it. I don't expect everyone to like me and I did bombard into your lives—well, my mother sort of forced me, but that's not the point" I rambled, shading the corner of my worksheet with my pen.

"You think Paul doesn't like you?" Embry wondered. I shrugged.

"I think we just mutually acknowledge each other. I'd probably refer to us as acquaintances, if we want to start labelling it."

"Did you say that to Paul? That you guys were just acquaintances?" Embry's eyes widened.

"That wasn't a direct quote, no. I just mentioned that he didn't make a great impression, but the conversation got cut short anyway because of the bell" I recounted to Embry. He nodded.

"You should give him a chance to explain himself. He's mentioned that he feels bad about that morning" Embry said. Did Paul talk about me to Embry and Jared? Had they discussed that morning or any other interactions we'd had?

"Okay. If it comes up again, we'll talk about it." Embry nodded, accepting my answer, but not pushing the point that I think he wanted to make. It was interesting that he felt so strongly about Paul and I being on such good terms. I wondered what he would be gaining from our relationship, but I couldn't think of anything. Maybe he just wanted to set his friend up?

The bell had rung, indicating to us that it was time for lunch, which instantly brought a wave of enthusiasm to echo off the hallways. Students rushed to throw their books into the their lockers and retrieve lunches or rush to the cafeteria to get to the front of the cafeteria line.

"No body guards, Kira?" An annoyingly familiar voice called. I turned my head and watched Matt saunter towards me, a fellow jock by his side. His friend looked uninterested, though, like he'd rather be anywhere else than beside his friend.

"Not yet, wanna get close again and see how long it takes this time, Matt." I teased. Matt scoffed, leaning his shoulder against the locker beside mine.

"You can always become friends with the better side of the school. We're much more fun, hold much better parties...look better in general" Matt admitted with a cocky smirk.

"Oh, my god," I stifled a laugh. "Did you just call yourself attractive?" Matt merely smirked broader in response, practically agreeing with what I was wondering.

"Fact, baby."

"Oh, lord. Okay, well thanks but no thanks. Not interested in what you're selling. Seriously, where is your handler? Where's Hilary?" I asked him genuinely. I had rarely seen Matt separated from her and yet today he'd approached me twice without her.

"You're cute, you know that?"

"Yes, I'm aware. It's all part of the package," I said sarcastically and pulled the container of salad that Emily had made for my lunch. "Now, I'm off to lunch. Have a good one, mate." I shut my locker and swiftly turned on my heels, practically running away from that bad situation as fast as I could. I made my to the table where Embry, Jared and another girl sat, talking amongst themselves. I plonked myself beside Embry.

"Hey" I grinned.

"Hey, Kira! This is Kim, Kim this is Kira. She's from Australia" Jared introduced, a broad smile stretched across his lips as though he was about to burst from happiness. I smiled at Kim, knowing she was the reason for his happiness not my nationality.

"Hi, Kim. Lovely to meet you." I instantly fell in love with Kim; she was sweet and softly spoken. Her eyes would light up whenever she glanced over at Jared and often she would giggle at the little comments he made. As Jared was telling a story, the loud sound of the cafeteria doors slamming shut caught our attentions. We turned to see Paul stride towards the table, a deep frown was etched into his forehead and there was a wave of anger emitting from his body. For some reason, a worry feeling sunk to the pit of my stomach.

"Kira?" Embry asked. I looked over to him, but realised I was suddenly standing. My attention quickly turned back to Paul who was stopped by Hilary, who had been speed walking to catch up with his large strides. Her eyes seemed wide and desperate, her hands reaching out to grab Paul's arms or his hands. But Paul continued to dodge her touch from his skin. Her head seemed to constantly be shaking; as though she wasn't agreeing with whatever Paul was telling her. I couldn't stop myself from peering into her emotions and feeling a tsunami of disappointment, rejection and bitterness. Paul, on the other hand, was simply angry. It almost seemed like that was his default emotion.

Luckily, my sharpened senses meant I could catch the conversation despite them being further away for the average ear to hear.

"Paul, you can't do this to us. I thought after Rita we could finally be together!" I frowned in confusion.

"This would never have worked. You need to let it go" Paul hissed. It looked like he was trying to contain the storm of Hilary, for both their sakes, but her emotions were escalating and it was only a matter of time before she erupted.

"This isn't fair! She doesn't even want to be your friend" Hilary sneered, her hand reaching for his bicep. He stepped closer to the table, avoiding her touch completely.

"This has nothing to do with her." Surely, they weren't discussing me.

"Matt said she's been with Embry and Jared as well. She a sl—" I guess they were talking about me.

"Don't you dare finish that, Hilary," Paul warned, his body stiffening and eyes narrowing in anger. "That idiot is only saying that because he's angry she rejected him. She's too good for him."

"Oh, but she's good for you? You think you're worth her time?" Hilary scoffed. "You've slept with most of the girls in our class, even while we were a thing!" I swallowed back a lump of bile. Paul's eyes turned and met mine. There was a glimmer of something in his eyes, perhaps worry or hope or concern. Regardless, it seemed that I was somehow involved in this heated interaction.

"This conversation is over. I've said my piece and you've said yours, now you need to move on. Matt's been after you forever, you shouldn't have too much trouble replacing me." Paul hissed and walked off. He made his way to our table and stopped in front of me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, a frown still resting on his forehead, but this time for me. I nodded, turning back to the group and realised I was still standing up.

"I—um—yeah, I'm good. I was gonna grab a napkin, do you need one?" I asked, my mind turning blank. A small smile lifted to his lips.

"I'm alright, thanks." I nodded.

"Sure, sure. Uh—anyone need a napkin?" I asked, turning back to the group. Everyone shook their heads in amusement, making me wish the ground would swallow me whole. "Cool, well, I'll be back." I turned back to the entrance of the cafeteria and spotted Jacob and Quil walking towards the line. I grabbed my container and hurried towards them. Jacob saw me approach them and smiled.

"Hey, how have you been?" Jacob asked.

"Good, great" I responded, letting out a chuckle and swept my hair off my forehead.

"Okay? Are you sure? You seem...flustered" He asked.

"Yep, absolutely swell," I grinned, "You guys want to eat outside? La Push is providing the goods today."

"Sounds great to me" Quil interjected with smile. I smiled back at him, before lifting my eyes to Jacob.

"Sounds good." Once the boys got their lunch, we made our way out to the benches outside the cafeteria and soaked up the moderate La Push sun.

"Quil and I were going to hang out after school, you're welcome to join?" Jacob offered hopefully.

"Sure! But I call dibs on riding the bike back to yours" I called, placing my hand on my heart. Jacob shook his head as a laugh left his lips.

"No. No!" He glanced at Quil who looked at him in confusion.

"If the lady wants to drive, let her drive."

"Thank you, Quil."

"Don't screw it up, man" Quil chimed in, making me laugh. Jacob rolled his eyes.

"You don't get it, she is scary!" Jacob defended.

"We don't lie, Jakey. Your father taught you better than that" Quil shook his finger playfully. Jacob groaned, accepting defeat.

I had texted Emily, to make sure she was okay with Jacob and I hanging out again. Like last time, she was fine with the arrangement as long as I was home before nine. When school finished, I collected my bag and made my way towards Jacob's bike. I sent him a text that I was waiting and leant against the bike, playing on my phone in the meantime. Jacob didn't take long to arrive and grinned at me as he pushed his helmet into my chest. I rolled my eyes and pulled it on. Much to my annoyance, Jacob swung his leg over the seat and started her up, sitting comfortably in the drivers spot.

"You're so mean!" I whined and climbed onto the back, behind him. He kicked the stand up and glanced over his shoulder, before riding out of the school entrance.

Quil had opted out of the hang out, leaving Jacob and I alone as we sat in his garage, working on his project car. I'd been helping him sand down a panel, since he wanted to paint it in the coming week. Music played in the background; a loud guitar reverberating off of the tin walls and filling any silence that fell between us while we worked. I'd told Jacob about my encounters with Matt and Jacob had rolled his eyes, calling the guy a walking pile of trash.

"Hey, do you want to order a piz-" I'd stood up and stepped back, where my foot caught on the small red toolbox. I gasped and prepared to catch my footing, but Jacob had bet me to it and stood up so fast even I missed it. His arm had reached out and caught me before I could save myself.

"You right?" He asked. It was in that moment that I realised how close we were standing to one another and also became acutely aware of his arm around my waist.

"Uh—thanks. Good reflexes." Just like when he had stood up, he'd quickly swooped in and pressed his warm lips against mine, catching me off guard. I gasped against his lips and paused, still processing what was happening. I'd told myself that I wouldn't get romantically involved with anyone while I was in La Push, but pressed against Jacob and sharing this moment of affection was stirring up emotions that I hadn't felt for months. In the moment, I got lost in them and allowed myself to return the affection. I'd felt his hand dip to my lower back before gliding to my hips while I pressed myself closer to him, and wrapped an arm around his neck.

"Jake?" A soft meek voice called from outside the garage. We jumped apart and stepped back from one another, as a girl walked around the corner gingerly. I ran my hand through my hair, quickly catching my breath and letting what just happened settle over me.

"Uh—hey—Bella. I wasn't expecting you today!" Jacob stumbled over his words and walked over to the girl, wrapping an arm around her for a hug.

"Yeah, sorry, I forgot my jacket here yesterday" The girl muttered, as I turned to face the pair. Her eyes met mine and confusion clouded them.

"Oh, yeah, that's in my room. I'll go get it" He nodded and jogged back towards the house, leaving the two of us alone.

"Hello, you must be Bella?" I asked, lifting my hand into an awkward wave.

"Who are you and why were you kissing Jake?" She exclaimed, walking towards me. Her overall appearance was fairly simple, from her straight brown hair that fell over her shoulders to her brown eyes that were a little red. She wore standard jeans with a plain top and black jacket over the top. There wasn't anything outstanding about her, but she also appeared friendly up until the point that she hissed her accusation at me.

"I'm Kira. I'm a...friend? And he kissed me" I clarified, taking a slight step back.

"He wouldn't kiss you" Bella said in disbelief and shook her head insistently.

"But he did... then I kissed him back" I admitted, the realisation still settling over me. What had I done?

"Stay away, he's my friend" Bella warned, possessively. Her tone was hard and her voice a little shaky as she made the warning. Her eyes told another story though and permeated an immense amount of pain. I frowned and carefully opened the door to her emotions, and immediately felt her sorrow and grief. It was so strong I actually had to physically take a step away from her and shut the connection down quickly. It seemed like there was much more looming beneath the surface.

"Yours?" I wondered. "Aren't you with some Edward bloke?" Her top lip curled with disgust as she jumped forward and slapped me across the face. I let out a gasp and felt my insides quickly heat up in anger. Bella had no clue who she was slapping and it took all of my might to refrain myself from returning the slap.

"How fücking dare you?" I seethed beneath my breath and took a dangerous step closer to her. To her credit, she stood her ground and narrowed her eyes at me.

"Don't say his name" She warned, her voice shaking slightly. The pain in her eyes seemed to multiply at the sound of the name of her past lover and it apparent that I had rubbed salt into an open wound.

"Got it!" Jacob's voice called, entering the garage. I turned away from them, lifting my hand to my cheek with disbelief.

"That's the one. Thanks, Jake. I'll see you later" She mumbled and walked out of the garage, leaving Jacob confused at her abrupt departure. He frowned as he watched her drive away and turned back to me, rubbing the back of his neck.

"She—uh—gets upset sometimes... her boyfriend left her recently. She's been pretty messed up by it" He tried to explain, approaching me again.

"You don't say, she just—" I'd caught the words before they fell from my lips as I noticed the deep concern in Jacob's expression for his friend. I wanted to tell him what she did, but decided it wasn't worth causing a scene over. There was obviously something wrong with Bella and perhaps she wasn't in her right mind when she'd slapped me. "She looked pretty upset." He nodded in agreement.

"Well, then..." He trailed, turning to meet my eyes again.

"Wanna order pizza?" I asked, hoping to jump over the conversation about what just happened. Jacob nodded and sent me a cute smile that I'm sure would stop any girls heart. I knew that we'd have to chat about this eventually, but for a second I just wanted to pretend I was a girl from La Push who was hanging out with a boy from La Push and we were just two normal teenagers experiencing a taste of life.  

______________

What do we think of Jacob and Kira? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

414K 8.1K 56
A different girl moves into La Push and imprints. But the thing is, when she finds out her imprint, already loves someone else. It broke her, but she...
25.5K 336 13
Billy Black's daughter, (Y/n) Black, sets off towards the mountains in hopes of forming her own pack, or possibly joining one. Jacob begged her to s...
6.7K 317 12
š—„š—®š—ŗš—²Ģ (in Balinese). "Something that is chaotic and beautiful at the same time." Love is beautiful but sometimes it's painful too. You never know...
314 3 9
In the small coastal town of La Push, nestled between the towering evergreen trees and the vast Pacific Ocean, a new resident, Willow Young, moves to...