Drop of Magic (Malec)

By thespilledpoet

And in that moment I realize I feel no regret. This is one moment I never want to leave, but also one I'll ne... More

Taken Interest
Not Irrelevant
Perfect Moments
Pancakes and Honesty
Old Wounds and Alcohol Don't Mix
Hangovers Suck
Partners?
Controlled Alcohol Makes Dates Better
Blissful Mornings
Movie Nights and Moving
Shopping Can Be Fun
Mario Kart and Max
For Us
Becoming a Lightwood
Good News and Bad News
Two Months
I Love You
Drop of Magic (Epilogue)
(Author's Note)
Bonus Chapter (1) Elevator Stays and Rainy Days
Bonus Chapter (2) Not The Wedding You Were Expecting
Bonus Chapter (3) Pack My Bags
Bonus Chapter (4) Our Magic
Bonus Chapter (5) Little One
Bonus Chapter (6) Mess ups and Make ups
Bonus Chapter (7) Starting Over
Bonus Chapter (8) First Halloween
Bonus Chapter (9) Lucky
Bonus Chapter (10) It's Christmas!

Falling, Hard

2.4K 108 16
By thespilledpoet

Magnus POV

I step off the plane, trying desperately to make my hair spike up enough. It's fallen flat from napping on the plane ride home but can you blame me? 8 hours next to a screaming child is enough to push anyone into stuffing headphones in and passing out. I straighten out my black double breasted jacket and toss my carry-on over my shoulder as I head down the ramp. My palms are already sweaty, stomach coiled tight with nerves. I spent the whole plane ride freaking myself out with silly things, thoughts of Alec having changed his mind in the past two months, or thoughts of him seeing me again and realizing it doesn't matter anymore. I chew on my lip as I fight the urge to push past all the other passengers and find him. I can see a familiar mop of black hair standing at the edge of the crowd- I should've known he wouldn't have thrown himself right up near the front, he hates crowds and confrontation. I can't fight the smile that forms on my lips- a true, genuine smile, one that only he is capable of giving me- as I push my way through towards him. I can tell when he spots me as he goes rigid and I'm instantly filled with fear of the unknown. We've only been together 6 months, and only with each other personally for 4 of those, I wonder how much could have changed in two months, how much time he had to think over all of our spontaneity and brash decisions. I wonder if Maryse got to him while I was gone. Biting my lip hard enough to bruise, I finally break through the final mass of people and find him standing before me. It's as if the past two months melt away, leaving only then and now. I soak him in, standing several feet away. Neither of us makes to move and I drown out everything around me, the noises and laughter of people meeting again, the tears and loud voices. They all become irrelevant as I roam my eyes over him, starting at the top.

His hair is slightly longer and a bit messier but it's clear he attempted to style it. The thought of him forgetting to go to a hairdresser in the past two months brings a small smirk to my lips. His cheeks are flushed with what I assume is nerves and his eyes are wide, pupils dilating as we drink in each other. His jaw line is sharp, as it's always been and I let my eyes trail down to the bit of collarbone peeking out from beneath his crisp white dress shirt. His blazer is fit to him, perfectly outlining his broad shoulders and subtly muscular arms, folded at the elbows to reveal his firm forearms, one folded tightly behind his back. His black jeans are definitely more expensive than anything he would have worn when we first met- heavens, this whole outfit is- and I revel in the way they form to him, cinched cuffs tucked neatly in his Santoni brown, leather boots. In that moment, I realize 2 months was too long and that I never, ever want to be faced with another situation that takes me away from him. I want him for now, and forever.

Alec POV

Magnus stands before me, his carry-on thrown carefully over his shoulder. His jacket is double breasted and fits him perfectly and I can barely decipher the silky black dress shirt beneath. His deep maroon skinny jeans are tucked into some black boots with a bit of a heel. His hair is spiked up elegantly, some pieces falling slightly out of place, but it just reminds me that he's real, that he's human, tangible, right here in front of me, no longer a voice over the phone that I just can't reach. There's only a touch of glitter in it and his eyeliner is applied lighter than usual, barely smudged out of place by the long plane ride. I can only imagine how exhausted he must be. But it's his eyes that bring me back to life. The rich amber of them is subdued into a warmed glance, like melting honey or a full whiskey glass filtering sunlight. They are sleepy but so alive, gazing at me as if he were trying to memorize every single part of me. I flush a bit at the gesture and wait for my mind to make a move. Everything is still, nothing can be heard around me save for his soft breaths and my own ragged ones. With no warning, he drops his bag on the ground and comes towards me, wrapping his arms around my torso, his hands grabbing fistfuls of my blazer. Had it been mere hours since I'd seen him instead of months, I would scold him for wrinkling the fabric I'd so carefully ironed out but none of that mattered right now. I choke back a sob and bury my face into his hair, ignoring the glitter that flutters out and inevitably into my own hair. I breathe in his familiar scent, the smell of fresh rain and cologne, the smell of his expensive shampoo and the mints he always popped when he was nervous. I wind my arms fiercely around him, tucking him closer to my chest, the flowers held tightly in my right hand still.

"Magnus," I breathe out, throat thick with emotion. He nuzzles into my neck before pulling back enough to take my face between both of his hands. He gazes deeply into my eyes for a second before he brings his lips against my own. The feeling makes my chest ache with longing, it's everything I've been dreaming of since the moment we said goodbye. His lips are smooth, as usual, with the sharp taste of mint melting against my own. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been using chapstick purely for this moment. My head feels empty, like every thought, nerve, and every fear evaporated into thin air the second he touched me, but my chest is full. I grab at his waist, bringing him impossibly closer until no part of me is without him. His lips move skillfully against mine, portraying the words 'I missed you' over and over with each little movement. I kiss back dauntlessly, suddenly not worried about him leaving, as long as I could commit this moment to memory. My eyes are scrunched closed, our noses bumping together as his hand tangles into my hair, tugging relentlessly as he fights to bring his lips even harder against my own. I smile into it, content to share his air as we gasp against each other's lips for breath. When he finally pulls back enough to take a proper breath, I'm drunk on every part of him, washed in this heady feeling that makes it hard to stay upright. He presses his forehead to my own and takes a shaky breath, his hands making their way down to my shoulders as he wraps himself around me in another tight embrace. I hold him just as tightly as we regain composure.

"Alexander, my heavens, I missed you." I laugh softly, the sound light and breathless. His returning smile is as bright as the literal sun that shines through the airport windows.

"You don't know how worried I was," I begin, shaking my head a bit and gripping him tighter in instinct. He smooths his palm down my back and the familiar gesture makes me choke up. I laugh pitifully at myself and shake my head back and forth, looking down.

"Why on earth would you be worried, Alexander?" He soothes, his free hand passing over my cheek.

"I was worried you'd forgotten," I whisper feebly, biting the inside of my cheek and noting how desperate and stupid I sound.

"I promised you I wouldn't. I could never forget you." He whispers back, voice firm and sure and with that I let every leftover fear dissipate and meet his eyes with my own watery ones. He hasn't forgotten me and he's come back to me. I smile at him and pull the slightly crumpled flowers out from behind his back where my hands have been.

"I uh, brought these for you." I bite my lip nervously as he takes them and inhales their rich scent.

"My favourites, how'd you know?" He asks, tilting his head at me fondly as he smiles gently.

"You mentioned it when we went shopping the first time. You were dragging me through the mall and we passed this flower shop. In the window they had orchids and you stopped for a second to admire them. You told me in passing that they were your absolute favourite." He softens even more and presses a warm, awe-filled kiss against my lips.

"You are something extraordinary, Alexander Lightwood. Thank you." I smile back and intertwine my fingers with his, pulling him gently towards the luggage carousel. After grabbing his many suitcases, with mild teasing from me, we head to the car, loading it up for the ride home. It's nearing 2 o'clock now and I look over at him as I drive, seeing him rest his head against the car window and close his eyes. He must've been so tired from the trip and the jet lag I'm sure will be horrendous to get over. When I pull into the carport, I realize he's fallen fast asleep. His soft snores fill the silence and fill my heart as well. I chuckle quietly as to not wake him and get out, carrying all of his bags in first. When I walk back out, he's still fast asleep. With a fond smile, I carefully extract him from the car, letting his head loll against my shoulder as I walk back inside, his hand coming up to sleepily wrap around my neck. After placing a gentle kiss to his temple, I softly lay him on our bed so he can rest awhile longer while I unpack.

"Alec?" I hear him mumble into the pillow when I'm just finishing putting the rest of his clothes in the hamper.

"Hm?" I poke my head out from the closet to see him wiping the sleep out of his eyes, in turn smudging his eyeliner across his cheekbone. I laugh a bit at the sight and receive his adorable pout in return.

"How long was I asleep?" He murmurs, sitting up and stretching his arms above his head.

"Just a couple of hours. How are you feeling?" I toss the shirt in my hand in the hamper and head over to the bed, pushing some wayward strands out of his face.

"Hmm...Hungry."

"I'll go make you something," I offer, turning to leave the room.

"No!" The panic in his voice makes my heart stop and my body freeze in place. I turn back to him quickly. "Just...order in? I don't want you to go too far." I smile sadly at him and press my lips to his forehead for a moment, brushing my fingertips over the slight stubble on his chin.

"You don't have to be afraid."

"I know, I just...It was the hardest two months of my life." His words hold more than what he's telling me, I can tell instantly but decide not to push it. Instead, I sink onto the bed beside him and rest my head on his shoulder.

"I know," I whisper into his skin, pressing a gentle kiss to his neck. He combs his fingers through my messy hair and trails them down the back of my neck and back.

"When was the last time you got a haircut?" He muses, twirling one of the slightly long strands around his finger.

"When was the last time you made me get a haircut?" He laughs and shakes my head, the sound resonating in my ears, rumbling beneath me.

"I'll make you an appointment. So how is everyone?"

"Good, they missed you, too."

"We should celebrate, have everyone over tonight-"

"Love, aren't you tired?" I press, worrying more about him than anyone else.

"No, I feel a lot more rested and besides, I want to see them, too." I nod and smile.

"Alright, you spread the word and get freshened up while I go order you some dinner." He smiles warmly at me, the smile that's so human and full of love that it fills my body up with life every time he shares it with me. I can't help but smile back before I head downstairs to call up his favourite Thai place and order some food. It's only been a few hours and it feels like he never left, other than the obvious hole that had been within me suddenly being full again. It's like noticing that half of you isn't quite attached and only feeling complete when it's near. The sheer domesticity of all of it, of getting our laundry ready and ordering in food, of watching him nap on our bed and being allowed to run my fingers through his hair. It's everything I've ever wanted but was too afraid to ask for. And in a few short months, Magnus came along and gave it all to me. I smile to myself as I pick up the phone, hearing him singing along to Beyonce above me. With a laugh, I dial the number.

Magnus POV

I send out a group text to the majority of my friends who I wouldn't mind having around Alec and to his friends and family as well as I gather my things to have a shower. With a moment of thought, I plug my phone into the aux chord sticking out of my stereo and blare a little bit of Beyonce, singing along proudly. It feels surreal to be home, able to hear my love downstairs calling for dinner, his voice making me feel all warm and fuzzy, which in turn makes me grimace at how mushy I've gotten since I met him. I turn the shower on my favourite setting and wait for it to heat up while I strip down, thinking idly about how different of a person I was just 6 months ago when Camille called me about an interview. I recall seeing images of Alec interviewing different celebrities. To anyone else, his drab black attire and nervous appearance might be offputting but to me, it was endearing and sweet. I wanted nothing more than to meet him, drag him a little bit out of his comfort zone and show him that he doesn't need to be afraid. I figured one little interview couldn't hurt anyone if anything it might help the poor kid advance in his career. Stepping into the shower, I remember his anxious presence when he'd been guided to the table, the way he'd looked uncomfortable in the suit he wore, how he fidgeted with the briefcase in his hand and looked at me as if I was about to bite him. I remember sharing a meal with him, always finding ways to turn the questions back, to learn about him even while he was so unwilling to open up. As I wash the persistent glitter from my hair, I think about sharing coffee and cocktails with him, letting him spend the night and seeing him wearing my clothes, the warmth that spread through me at the silly gesture. I remember falling passionately, irrevocably in love with him

I drop the shampoo bottle, eyes widening under the constant spray of water. I love Alexander Lightwood. I love him more than anything or anyone else in this whole world. I've loved him since the first time he shared a tiny part of himself with me or since he shared his first real smile with me or hugged me for the first time. I've been in love with him since our first kiss, shared in my dining room where neither of us understood what was happening. I've loved him since I told myself it was impossible for me to fall in love or since I assured myself I was safer alone, just the Chairman and I eating take out and watching Teen Wolf. I've loved him even when I didn't know the meaning.

"Mags! You okay in there? You didn't fall right?" His voice echoes through the bedroom and bathroom, finding me and filling my entire body with electricity. It's like realizing something blatantly obvious for the first time, something stupid like realizing there's no such thing as the present, only the past, and the future. It's the type of thing that is so obvious it's ridiculous but it also floors you. Realizing I love Alec is that moment, where it's something I've always known somehow, but didn't ever think about too much, something that doesn't change anything, but changes everything all at once. I hear him knock on the doorframe and I choke out a response.

"I-I'm fine. Didn't uh...fall or anything. Well, not in the literal sense, I suppose. I did fall, though, really hard." I start rambling, watching him walk into the bathroom, his silhouette grabbing a towel and making its way back to me.

"Well, you're confusing me. Care to come out and share?" He presses, holding the towel out. I take it, turning the shower off and drying off quickly inside the shower before tucking it around my waist and stepping out.

"I realized something," I start, taking special note of his cocked eyebrow, the quizzical expression etched onto his perfect face. I smile brightly, openly at him because this is the man my heart chose. This is who I want to spend my life with, I know it.

"And what's that, Bane?" My heart fills at the simple nickname he's used since we met.

"That I love you, Alexander Lightwood."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

384K 11K 200
In which I write short gif imagines for the shadowhunters characters. 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐆𝐢𝐟 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐝
218K 10K 41
This is an AU (Alternate Universe) Fanfiction based on the characters from the amazing series written by Cassandra Clare. All characters belong to he...
80.3K 3.4K 51
[COMPLETED] In a rush I was no longer in the cold and rainy street but in someone else's apartment. Confused, I looked around me and saw two men in f...
113K 3.5K 18
"I can be the subject of your dreams Your sickening desire." -Troye Sivan, Bite ••• Sebastian Starling was the best friend of Magnus Bane. They went...