Dead Politician Society

Par RobinSpano

The mayor of Toronto collapses and dies while making a speech. The newspaper receives an email -- a fake obit... Plus

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Clare
Chapter 2: Matthew
Chapter 3: Laura
Chapter 4: Clare
Chapter 5: Jonathan
Chapter 6: Matthew
Chapter 7: Annabel
Chapter 8: Clare
Chapter 9: Laura
Chapter 10: Annabel
Chapter 11: Clare
Chapter 12: Jonathan
Chapter 13: Annabel
Chapter 14: Clare
Chapter 15: Laura
Chapter 16: Matthew
Chapter 17: Clare
Chapter 18: Annabel
Chapter 19: Jonathan
Chapter 20: Clare
Chapter 21: Matthew
Chapter 22: Annabel
Chapter 23: Clare
Chapter 24: Jonathan
Chapter 25: Matthew
Chapter 26: Clare
Chapter 27: Annabel
Chapter 28: Clare
Chapter 29: Laura
Chapter 30: Matthew
Chapter 31: Jonathan
Chapter 32: Clare
Chapter 33: Laura
Chapter 34: Annabel
Chapter 35: Clare
Chapter 36: Annabel
Chapter 37: Laura
Chapter 38: Clare
Chapter 39: Jonathan
Chapter 40: Matthew
Chapter 41: Clare
Chapter 42: Annabel
Chapter 43: Laura
Chapter 44: Clare
Chapter 46: Clare
Chapter 47: Matthew
Chapter 48: Clare
Chapter 49: Annabel
Chapter 50: Laura
Chapter 51: Clare
Chapter 52: Jonathan
Chapter 53: Clare
Chapter 54: Laura
Chapter 55: Clare
Chapter 56: Matthew
Chapter 57: Annabel
Chapter 58: Clare
Chapter 59: Jonathan
Chapter 60 - Laura
Chapter 61 - Clare
Chapter 62 - Annabel
Chapter 63: Matthew
Chapter 64: Clare
Chapter 65: Annabel
Chapter 66: Clare
Chapter 67: Annabel
Chapter 68: Clare
Chapter 69: Jonathan
Chapter 70: Clare
Chapter 71: Laura
Chapter 72: Annabel
Chapter 73: Clare
Chapter 74: Matthew
Chapter 75: Clare
Chapter 76: Laura
Chapter 77: Jonathan
Chapter 78: Clare
Chapter 79: Matthew
Chapter 80: Jonathan
Chapter 81: Clare
Chapter 82: Matthew
Chapter 83: Clare
Where to find Clare again

Chapter 45: Laura

12.5K 350 5
Par RobinSpano

Laura stared at her tomato plant. She set the pruning shears on the grass. She didn’t care about side shoots at the moment.

Hayden was gone. So maybe she hadn’t loved him like she’d pledged to, years earlier. But she missed seeing his pompous face in the news. She missed knowing she might run into him at some function, where they’d smile and be polite and yes, it would be awkward. But it was the good kind of awkward, pregnant with shared memories.

Her children were gone. Back to the lives they’d created away from her. They were both thriving, which Laura felt good about. But it would be better if they were happy to see her, even for five minutes a year.

Susannah was gone. She hadn’t taken all her things yet, but she’d made it clear in the morning that she’d meant what she said about leaving. The tiny cottage felt cavernous without her there.

Laura sipped the coffee she’d brought with her into the garden. It was rich and dark. She’d used the espresso machine instead of the family-sized brewing pot.

She eyed the garden hose, coiled like a sleeping snake at the side of the house. She could water, but the ground was still moist from Wednesday’s downpour.

So what should she do with the rest of her day? She picked up the phone handset and called Penny.

“Penny Craig.” Even on a Saturday, the clipped business voice was on duty.

Laura said, “Is it too late to change my mind about playing detective?”

“Laura!” Penny’s voice held something unusual. Was it warmth? “You sound like you’re two inches tall.”

“That’s about how high I feel. Susie left.” Should she be saying this? Penny’s gossip columnist could have a field day. “I need a project, and pretending we can find out who killed Hayden seems as good as any.”

Penny laughed. “I hope we won’t be pretending.”

“If you want to come over, I have another card I can show you.”

“What a perfect start to the weekend. I have plans for today. But this evening works. Are you still in that quaint little cottage on Amelia Street?”

“I am.” She’d never given Penny her address, though.

“On second thought, why don’t we meet in my office around five? We can start by poking through archived articles.”

“What for?”

“Connect the victims. We have a much more sophisticated archive system in-house than if we were at your place typing things into Google.”

“You sound like you’ve done this before,” Laura said.

“I began my career as an investigative journalist.”

“So why haven’t you started without me? I’m surprised you don’t have reporters on this already.”

“Oh sure, I have two top political reporters making this their pet project. And one on the police beat. But so far they’ve uncovered nothing.”

Laura was confused. “Why do you think we might?”

“We might not. This is a lark for me, Laura. We may find gold—in which case, I get a great story and you get closure on Hayden—and we may just be two old friends playing Nancy Drew. Know what I mean?”

No, Laura didn’t know. But she didn’t see Penny as the type to do anything for fun.

“Will I see you at five, then?”

Laura sighed. “Sure. See you at five.”

She picked her shears back up. She had six hours to fill, and these tomatoes weren’t going to prune themselves.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

Everyone is insane Par Dune :D

Mystère / Thriller

89 6 26
Everything is going well for the group of nine friends. No arguing. No panicking. Everyone friends. And everyone is alive. until one day, unexpectedl...
82 23 9
When Brixlee and Cole move from friends to lovers, things around campus start to become deadly. Bodies are being found, drained of their blood. Peop...
1K 285 34
Investigation Room 1 : "I was angry at him and I had had enough of him that night. He himself invited his death." He scoffed, muttering incoherent st...
Pity and a Shame Par lyttlejoe

Mystère / Thriller

596 129 23
A small bedroom community/tourist town rocked by its first homicide, the brutal murder of an unpopular recluse. An unemployed ex military policeman...