The Wizard's Queen

By emmymaereads

After facing off with Michael Noble, the young Blackwell's wizards are left tattered and defeated scattered a... More

Part 1-Devil's Advocate
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Part 2-The Wizard's Queen
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 3

156 22 6
By emmymaereads

The soft sound of his sister's footsteps awoke Luke from his little nap as Anna entered the hospital room housing the once vibrant Sorceress, now lifeless and dull as she lay hooked up to all the machines that were keeping her alive.

Anna held another bouquet of flowers in her hands, these even larger than the last round of flowers sent. Yet another suck up gift to get on daddy dearest's good graces. These people didn't even personally know her, but kept sending items. To bad his father despised Riley so they were kind of failing in the sucking up department.

Riley was beginning to run out of room to place the assortment of flowers, balloons, and stuffed animals she has received. Anna was able to squeeze the vase into an opening on the windowsill adding to the kaleidoscope of colors in the otherwise plain hospital room. If her flower collection kept growing like it was, Riles could give Kenny's garden a run for his money.

He wondered how the garden was faring with the Cleveland home vacant. Mrs. Cleveland was currently held captive by the American Council while Chelsea and Mr. Cleveland were on the run with the rest of his friends fighting in the Resistance. At least Kenny was safe, despite laying next door facing the same fate as Riley.

It's going to be ok.

Anna's soft and melodic voice entered his mind as she walked over, lovingly patting her not so little brother's shoulder. Sighing, he leant his head against her disagreeing. It wasn't going to be ok. Not as long as Riley was like this.

"Its just hard, you know seeing her like this," he muttered.

She nodded her head as she rubbed small circles in her brother's back. It had been a little under a month since she had awoken and she still couldn't speak words just yet. They needed her voice for her to confess, but she hadn't formed a single word since her revival. However, Anna didn't even seem to be mentally all the way present anymore often acting more cat than human. His father had allowed her to stay with Luke, seeing how damaged she was.

"I wish she would wake up today, of all days," he sighed.

You can't get everything you want for your birthday.

He chuckled, nodding his head in agreement. Anna was right, he couldn't get everything he wanted for his birthday, today. At least they were both alive, even if one couldn't talk and still acted like a cat while the other one lay unconscious in a hospital bed on life support.

His hands reached towards his pocket, pulling out her time travel necklace she had created, feeling it was time to return it. Riley had been told to destroy the thing , but Luke had found it in her old room when the Council had raided the Cleveland's mansion. He had pocketed the item, placing protection charms all over it to keep her from dying in an attack. Luke gently pushed Riley's hair out of the way clasping the necklace around her neck, playfully ruffling her hair as he leant back in his chair.

Good thing she isn't awake, or you'd be through a wall by now.

"Shut up, Anna," Luke chuckled.

Honestly, he wouldn't mind being thrown through a wall again if that meant Riley was awake. He hated seeing her so broken and lifeless as she lay strapped up to all the machines. She really had pushed herself to far that day, practically killing herself to save everyone else. If it hadn't been for Marcus being able to lend part of his life force to Riley, she would be dead right now.

Luke hated that the rest of his friends believed Riley and Kenny to be dead. He had made a deal with his father to keep the two alive. Betraying his friends was difficult, but he was willing to make whatever sacrifice was needed to limit the amount of deaths they had to suffer from.

Losing not only Jasmine and Morgan, but his stepmom and a few of the spell-masters all on the same day was difficult. Turning around and forcing his friends to run after faking Riley and Kenny's death was even worse. He still had nightmares of their faces, especially Chelsea's, when he announced what side he would be taking in the war.

His father really was ignorant to think that Luke couldn't sense what he was trying to do to Riley and Kenny with the help of some of the world's top illusionists working to brainwash Kenny and Riley while they lay trapped in comas. Hopefully, the necklace would help lessen the effects of the spells cast on her, keeping her from becoming a mindless zombie. The only catch to siding with his father was Luke was now a prisoner forbidden to leave the hospital.

Anna and Luke had tried to leave one day, only to be zapped as soon as they stepped foot outside. Powerful wards had been placed surrounding the hospital catering to preventing Luke or Anna from passing through physically or magically. Now, Luke was stuck in a repetitive routine of taking turns at Riley and Kenny's sides, his only conversations with his sister who couldn't even actually speak. Half the time, she acted more cat than human, side effects from switching souls with a cat for so long.

Brother, you are brooding again.

Luke smirked, the singsong sound of her voice in his mind pulling him back to reality as he grinned at his sister.

"You are right, I am beginning to act a lot like Kenny. Maybe we should plan a prank on the nurses. Its been far to long since I have used my skills," Luke grinned.

Lulu, maybe you shouldn't try testing father's patience with Riley's life on the line.

Luke sighed, running his hand through his hair as he glanced down at Riley. She was vulnerable. His father may decide he didn't have use for her after all and kill her out of spite if Luke pissed him off. Pranks would have to wait for the moment despite him itching to get his hands dirty. He was pretty sure this has been his longest streak without pulling a prank.

Come on, let's go get some food. You haven't eaten, yet, today.

"I wasn't really hungry," Luke admitted.

Anna glared at him, placing her hands on her hips as she shook her head. She had been forcing him to eat lately because if not, he would forget as he sat by his friend's sides. He also hadn't been sleeping, attempting to always stay awake fearing that if he did sleep, then their minds would be broken without him alert to push back the illusionists' attacks.

Just this morning, she had found him slouched in the chair, his hand gripping Riley's as he softly snored away after three days of no sleep. His sleep was always interrupted by nightmares, usually of that stupid mortal girl who had gone insane, dreaming of her in the mental ward. She hated to see her brother suffering like this, but it was the sacrifice he chose in order to keep everyone safe.

Anna reached her hand down, forcing her brother to take it as she helped him come to a stand. He groaned in protest not wanting to leave Riley's side. He knew he had to listen to his sister because she wouldn't tKe no for an answer. She was a lot like Riley in that sense and probably would physically drag Luke to the cafeteria if she was strong enough.

"One moment," he mumbled as he gave Riley a quick peck on the forehead. "See you later Riles."

Anna rolled her eyes snickering knowing Riley would fling him through a wall if he did that when she was awake, or knew he had been doing that while she was in a coma. He adored Riley though thinking of her as a little sister. In a way, he felt drawn to her because she reminded him of Anna. They had similar personalities, though she was more biased towards herself as being more awesome.

When she first heard word of her idiot brother so openly defying her father in front of the Wizarding community over a girl, she immediately grew interested to learn who this girl was. She began following Riley's every movements after the trial was over. Anna was surprised when she saw Riley wasn't involved romantically with Luke, but the Cleveland boy who was restored from being a tree. Seeing their auras made all the sense to her as she stalked Riley from the Cleveland's house to Riley's own that day.

She was surprised Riley was so sweet in person, always kind to everyone she spoke to. Her conversations with Kenny got a little to sappy at times as Anna would storm to Chelsea's room to hear the juicy gossip. She worked hard to avoid her brother, trying her best to make him loathe the cat so he wouldn't snoop and discover the truth before she was sure she could be saved.

She did this to make sure Riley would be the one able to save her. She wouldn't want her poor brother getting his hopes up. That had already happened to her once when Kenny was first awoken from the tree. He had stayed with Devan and her a couple of nights to get adjusted to the present before moving in with the Cleveland's. She ha approached him for help and was dismayed when he revealed he wasn't strong enough. She was surprised he played along in keeping her secret when Riley moved in with the Cleveland's.

When Riley disappeared with Luke for several months, Anna had been frantic. Her one chance to become human again had slipped through her paws before she had the chance to ask. It was hard seeing everyone so upset by the teenager's disappearance.

Many nights she would sleep in Chelsea's room listening to her cry herself to sleep. What was even more heartbreaking was watching Kenny as he would find himself in Riley's room, staring blankly at the wall as his body would shake with silent tears. He had become a ghost of a man when she was gone, not sure what to really do with himself after fighting so hard to save Riley only for her to disappear into thin air. At least Chelsea attempted to get by as her and Nathan struggled along together to live their life.

She was so furious when Riley returned to the present. It was also the moment when she realized that Riley would be able to save her. She knew her brother would react the way he did when Riley revealed her plans on reviving Anna. After living through so much loss and heartache over his short lifespan, it was easier for him to accept that his sister was really gone instead of risking having his hopes crushed if Riley failed. When she finally let him read her mind and not make random cat noises when he tried, she was pleased to see the hope return to his eyes.

She sighed as she realized she had been lost in her thoughts again. Living as a cat for seven years was hard adjusting to being human again. She was so used to lounging around as she would let the warmth of the sun hit the fur on her back or stalking her prey in the late hours of the night, pouncing for the kill. That, and naps; she loved the naps. Luke would give her odd looks at the amount of naps she wanted to take now.

"Anna, what do you want?" Luke asked as he pointed to the different kiosks in the cafeteria.

She pointed to the one serving fish, licking her lips at the thought of how juicy fried fish would taste as her teeth slowly ripped the flesh apart.

"Anna, you're thinking like a cat again," Luke smirked. She hissed at him as she shoved him forward to order the food.

"Two fish and chips please," Luke stated. 

Anna eyed the fish hungrily as she glanced up at the boy serving her food. He studied her, fighting off a blush as she watched him, her big blue eyes innocently blinking.

He wasn't the guy who normally worked here and wasn't familiar with her routine. He could easily be trained like the other guy was. She pointed to the fish, holding out her lip as she pulled on the kitty cat eyes.

"Ugh, ugh?" He stuttered confused.

"She want's extra fish," Luke sighed.

Anna nodded as she winked at the boy. He blushed as he placed an extra strip on her plate. She let out a low purr in happiness at the thought of more fish in her belly as her brother gently nudged her forward to pay.

"Do you want milk again, or something more normal this time?" Luke questioned as he ordered the drinks. She gave him the most annoyed look she could muster watching as her brother let out a smirk.

"Milk it is then."

Picking up their tray of food, Luke navigated through the busy food court leading the way to their usual seat by the back windows. Anna glanced outside, watching the pedestrians packed along the crowded streets, elbowing their way to and from the nearby Tube entrance. Traffic was its usual bumper to bumper place, several annoyed drivers honking in the distance.

"Here we go, kitty," Luke grinned. Anna glared at him as he shoved the plate in front of her face.

"Well, your cat instincts are coming out," he shrugged. She shook her head in disagreement as she went to drink her milk.

"See," Luke grinned as she paused mid drink, realizing she was lapping the milk with her tongue while strangers looked at her with weird looks.

"Nothing to see here, my sister just thinks she's a cat. I was letting her take a break from the psych ward," Luke announced.

That devil. She smacked him angered by the nerve of his, smiling smugly as his grin was knocked off his face.

"Really, was that necessary?" He whined rubbing his cheek. 

Anna nodded her head in agreement as she stood up, with her tray in tow heading back up to visit with her friend, Riley. If Luke was going to be a jerk, he could enjoy his meal by himself, then.

~~~~~

Luke sat in the cafeteria for a while after Anna left slowly picking away at his food, silently worrying about Riley. His eyes narrowed as he sensed an ominous prescience in the room, glancing up at a pair of reddish brown eyes staring down at him in annoyance behind the face of a new enemy.

"Sorry, this hospital is closed for visitors," Luke spat.

The guy sat down, ignoring Luke. His reddish brown gaze never broke contact with Luke's sky blue one attempting to break through the shields of Luke's mind.

"Nikkolai, I am much stronger than I used to be. Nice try, though."

Nikkolai shrugged his shoulders, picking a fry from Luke's plate helping himself to Luke's food.

"Yuck, they are soggy," Nikkolai frowned pulling out his wand and pointing it towards the boy who had served them.

"Hey, kid!" Nikkolai called out. The young guy glanced over at him in confusion pointing to himself.

"Yes, you dumbass. These fries taste like shit," he spat as he aimed his wand at the guy.

"Why don't you make a fresh batch? I like them slightly crisped, but not too crispy and finely salted," he ordered, weaving the spell into the boy's mind.

The boy's eyes glazed over as the spell took effect. Nikkolai clapped his hands together rudely shouting, "Chop chop, I don't have all day. Get to cooking or you die!"

The boy followed his orders, completely under Nikkolai's control. Customers in line looked confused as he paused in the middle of their orders, neglecting them to tend to Nikkolai.

"Nikki, he is mortal. That is illegal!" Luke snapped.

"Egh, I'm on the task force. I enforce the rules," Nikkolai sighed.

Luke's eyes narrowed in on the boy, his jaw tightening in anger as he fought to keep his words from getting him into trouble with his father.

"Oh, you want me to punish myself?" Nikkolai smirked slapping his wrist. "Bad Nikki as punishment, you have to be stuck with this loser keeping watch on him."

"So, my father sent you? Guess he doesn't completely trust me," Luke snapped.

"Yeah, and since I am still on his bad side, I get this shit job on top of having a fucking gate key shoved into my chest," Nikkolai snapped. He looked around, searching for Anna noticing she wasn't with Luke.

"So, where is cat girl?" He questioned.

"Upstairs with Riley," Luke replied.

Nikkolai jumped up grinning as he rushed towards the elevator. Pausing as the boy he had controlled handed him a fresh plate of fries cooked to his liking.

"Congrats, you get to live today," he stated as he strolled along, snacking on the fries as he headed up to the ICU unit.

"Hey, you ass, where are you going?" Luke shouted.

"Dude, I am finally getting to see the Sorceress in person!" Nikkolai grinned. "Do you think she'll give me an autograph?"

Nikkolai frowned shaking his head, "nevermind she's in a coma, guess I'll-"

"If you lay a hand on her, I swear I will murder you!" Luke shouted as he rushed after Nikkolai.

"Get in line, you'll have to wait your turn," Nikkolai replied as he let the elevator doors close.

Luke fired a spell, forcing the doors open as he rushed into the elevator. Nikkolai grinned at his friend holding out his plate of food.

"Fry?" Nikkolai questioned.

"Really? You are offering me food?" Luke snapped.

Nikkolai's eyes traveled down Luke's body as he studied him. The boy's cheekbones were sunken in, his clothes extra baggy. He could really use some fries. Luke's health was really deteriorating, more worried about caring for the others and neglecting himself. He wouldn't be much use to Michael Noble if he died of starvation.

"You look a little on the thin side. Sorry, but starving model is so the 90's," Nikkolai replied.

He frowned, upset Luke wasn't reacting to his jabs, slowly blinking as he studied his childhood friend. He really did look pathetic, and despite supposing to despise the guy, it was hard not to hate someone you potty trained with. No, the only way Luke was going to do something was by telling him he was weak.

"Let yourself starve and I would easily be able to break into your mind and control you."

Luke snatched the plate of fries out of Nikkolai's hands, shoving a handful of fries down his throat as he glared at his old friend. Nikkolai chuckled at how much his friend reminded him of a chipmunk with the amount of food he was able to shove into his mouth. Luke would never let that sadist control him.

"You look just as shitty. Did a truck run you over?" Luke asked with a mouthful of food.

"No, but your father shoved a golden key into my chest," Nikkolai snapped.

"Good ol' daddy dearest, causing pain to fuel his hate," Luke mumbled.

"That would make a wonderful jingle. We should create one!" Nikkolai joked.

"Don't you recall, you sound like a dying whale when you sing," Luke snapped.

Nikkolai chuckled, nodding his head in agreement. Luke was right, he was a horrible singer but Luke was even worse. They would make for an even more hilarious jingle that the whole community could be forced to listen to. Maybe being stuck with Luke wouldn't be so bad after all. Then again, he couldn't risk his friend getting in the way of his actual plans. Nope, he'd rather play it safe than sorry. Well, that left no other option then.

"Lights out, buddy!"

~~~~~

Sorry for the cussing, Nikkolai has a bit of a potty mouth. ;)

What are your thoughts on this chapter? What is your first impression of the official introduction of Anna? What do you think Michael Noble has in store for Riley and Kenny? Share your opinions below!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 415 58
Book 1 & 2 | Sunday Updates The guardians vanished 50 years ago, but now their power shows up in six unsuspecting youths... Sheltered from birth, Li...
354K 18.2K 85
Book 1 - His Mate Book 2 - His Mate: The Demon King An unexpected union. Hatred turned to love. Mysteries arose. History explained. Unexpected figh...
42.6K 3.2K 49
As a Dark Sorceress who has lived a lie her entire life, Kenna will have to decide whether the world she is desperately trying to save hasn't been do...
20.7K 1.9K 41
Everyone is still picking up the pieces after Makaela's decision. But with House Tenebris growing closer to their ultimate goal, some things may have...