The Wizard's Queen

By emmymaereads

After facing off with Michael Noble, the young Blackwell's wizards are left tattered and defeated scattered a... More

Part 1-Devil's Advocate
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Part 2-The Wizard's Queen
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 2

151 21 5
By emmymaereads

Nikkolai wasn't particularly pleased to be summoned by Michael Noble. He was supposed to be in school, exams were only a few weeks away and he didn't want to risk not getting perfect scores by the amount of times Bethany would have the new International Council Head pull the boy out of class for stupid missions she was to lazy to complete herself.

 Ever since the battle and his emotional outburst back that day when Mr. Noble had moved to take down the Sorceress and her followers once and for all, they had been keeping an extra eye on him and assigning him all the shitty jobs while the rest of the task force actually got decent assignments to waste their time with. 

Nikkolai sighed as he studied the giant wooden doors looming before him, the only things separating him from Michael Noble's sadistic ideas.

Let's see what the psychopath ordered this time.

Shrugging his shoulders, he pushed the doors open knowing if he kept the man waiting any longer he could risk facing punishment which either resulted in utter public humiliation or death. Most likely, it was death and Nikkolai would rather live to see his eighteenth birthday instead of laying six feet under with his brother and mom and possibly younger brother. He wasn't sure what happened to him, yet.

His leader wasn't even paying attention as Nikkolai stormed the room, slightly out of breath. The fool was scrolling through his phone, mumbling curses under his breathe about technology being to complicated.

"Sir, sorry it took me so long, I was in the middle of brewing a potion," Nikkolai stated as he bowed in front of the Council head, sitting atop his self made throne. Michael Noble lifted his head, yawning in boredom as he studied the boy.

"I forget you are still in classes. I'll have them excuse your upcoming absences."

"Upcoming?" Nikkolai questioned. Michael Noble nodded his head in agreement.

"Yes, I have use for you regarding my son." Michael Noble stated.

"I will gladly execute him if that is what you wish," Nikkolai stated, his face turning stone cold as he studied his leader. Michael Noble frowned at the boy shaking his head.

"No, I need him for an heir to the family name, he stays alive for now as long as he continues to obey," he snapped.

"Then what do you need me to do?" Nikkolai questioned.

"Well, he needs company that can actually talk back. I don't need him going crazy holed up in that hospital," Mr. Noble stated, "plus I need a way to keep you protected too."

"Me, protected?"

"Yes, boy. I have just named you as a gate key holder," Michael Noble grinned, tossing a golden key into Nikkolai's hands.

He glanced down, in shock at the key, unsure of why his leader would want him to be a gate holder. He wasn't an Elder nor was he a conjurer. Someone like Wren would be more suitable for the task.

He knew the Resistance were searching for the keys and had already gotten their grimy hands on two of them along with going as far as destroying two of the gates. They were idiots to destroy the portals; Michael Noble had other ways to get to the other realms. Destruction of portals wouldn't slow him down. He had his own elf held captive and Wren had fairy blood running strong through his veins. All he needed was to locate a giant, but being able to access two of the three gates would suffice.

"I know Derek would not be able to easily defeat you. By placing you by Luke's side, he wouldn't risk a full fledged attack if you can gain control of the wizards' minds," Michael Noble explained.

"You aren't sure if the magic is working on them, correct?" Nikkolai asked.

"I wouldn't underestimate my rebellious daughter's talents," Michael Noble snapped, "she was ranked top of her class before her death."

"Yes, sir but wasn't her mind damaged upon reuniting her with her body?" Nikkolai questioned.

"I would rather play it safe than sorry. With Harvey Emrys dead, you are ranked the number one Mentalist in the world," Michael praised, "the Sorceress can't even match your strength."

Nikkolai nodded his head in agreement. She didn't match his strength in mentalist magic. Her abilities and sheer raw talent had been powerful but he doubted even with training that she would have ever even come close to matching him. Plus, her moral compass was to strong to willfully take captivity of the mind's of others.

At least his task wouldn't be too bad being holed up with the Noble's prisoners. Luke and he had been good friends as young boys and Anna had always been nice to him as a child, even after his brother's death. They would meet him with distrust at first, but he was certain they would soon be back to childhood friends after a few short days of tension.

"Sir, who's key did this belong to?" Nikkolai asked.

"Why the other Fitzgerald boy," Michael Noble grinned, "it was fun getting it out of him."

Nikkolai smirked as he examined the key in his hands. Next to Derek, Devan was probably the second most person he hated. It was all his fault for not stopping his own brother when he had the chance all those years ago, instead walking away letting the little tyrant throw the temper tantrum that cost his own elder brother his life.

"What are you going to do with Devan? I hope it involves torture," Nikkolai grinned.

"As Council head, I have to hold a trial casting him out as a traitor. Trust me, he will face much pain in the dungeons while awaiting his trial."

Nikkolai chuckled, imagining all the torturous things that could befall the man. He would gladly accept being tasked with Devan's removed gate key. It would make the final showdown with Derek that much more wonderful to see once he realized his position cost Devan his life.

"How soon do you need me by your son's side?" Nikkolai question.

"After this!" Michael Noble replied lifting his wand to the boy's chest. 

Nikkolai's screams echoed through the building as the golden key was ripped from his hands plunging deep into his chest. He bent over, gasping for breathe as he glared at Michael Noble before apparating out of the room. Before going to his assignment, he had an old friend he needed to visit to release some frustration on.

~~~~~

The soft sounds of dripping awoke Devan, a shiver running down his spine from the cold chill in the air and the damp stones surrounding him. Every inch of his body ached as he studied the fractured ribs, tracing the bruises along his skin from the ambush. He was only performing his tasks as a gatekeeper, but as soon as Michael Noble took over, the stupid man didn't take long to arrest him solely based on the fact his younger brother was such a big key to the Resistance. 

Hell, he couldn't help the idiot decided to destroy a very important Cathedral when he took down the first gate. He wasn't even on good ties with Derek, not talking to him since the boy was an eight grader but now the idiot had gotten him thrown into the dungeons, while the Council's lackies kicked and punched him as they pleased.

Devan chuckled as he studied the stones around him. They must really be stupid placing him in his own element, earth. He always had a natural knack for Earth magic,inheriting it from his deceased mother. Any rock, he could move to his will. Soon, he would be free.

He let the magic flow through his fingertips into the Earth, working to shift the entrance allowing his passage out. It felt like a million volts of electricity were traveling through his body as he attempted to use his magic. Every nerve was filled with blinding pain, his flesh crackling from the anti magic wards cast on the stone. Devan screamed in agonizing pain as he doubled over, panting trying to catch his breathe, his vision growing spotty. 

A pair of footsteps entered, the loud clomps of leather boots stopping right in front of Devan's face accompanied by an old and familiar chuckle. Devan was relieved that iron bars separated the two, because frankly this boy was unpredictable and terrifying when upset, almost as bad as one of Derek's episodes.

"You aren't the Fitzgerald I want, but you are just as much at fault as your little brother," the tall brunette spat, his reddish brown eyes twinkling in delight at the sight of his foe on his knees bloody and bruised.

"Nikkolai, why?" Devan gasped, wiping the blood dripping from his nose with the back of his hand.

"Do you like the improvements to our security system? Layered spells. Not only would your magic constantly be draining, but for someone as powerful as you, we had to make it painful to even use the magic," Nikkolai grinned.

"That really stung like a bitch," Devan wheezed. 

He struggled to rise from his knees, a wave of dizziness overcoming him as he collapsed to his side in pain. Michael Noble really outdid himself this time. He could feel the toll the magical enchantments were taking on his body as his strength was sapped. There was no point in struggling, he would just have to wait until the timing was right to escape.

"What are you doing down here, Nikkolai?" Devan questioned.

"Why, I just wanted to let you know that I have your gate key now. I can't wait to see the shock on your brother's face when I defeat him."

"Derek is stronger than you think. You may be a higher ranked mentalist, but his Elemental magic is on a level with the Gods," Devan snapped.

"More like hell itself," Nikkolai snapped, "he was the one who murdered my own brother in cold blood."

"That was purely accidental!" Devan cried. "It was the reason our father started suppressing our abilities!"

"Abilities like that shouldn't exist. I don't know what deal your father made to produce such powerful sons because he is weak!" Nikkolai screamed.

Devan chuckled shaking his head at the boy. Look who was talking, Kasim was a wizard prodigy and so was Nikki. Holding grudges clouded the boy's judgement. He was surprised the boy hadn't realized they were part of the same magical enhancement experiments during fetal development. Then again, Nikki was so focused on revenge on Derek, he didn't utilize his Taskforce abilities to access all the classified documents like Devan had when searching for answers on his younger brother.

"Nikki, maybe you should ask your mom." Devan stated.

"My mom is dead! She died after Declan!"

"Where is Declan? I haven't seen him in these realms in a while now." Devan questioned at the mention of Nikkolai's younger brother. Declan wasn't born until two years after his older brother passed. He knew Nikkolai hated the younger brother, feeling he was only born as a replacement and because he took his mother's life. It wouldn't surprise him if this lunatic killed his own brother.

"I don't know where he is! After that stupid Sorceress stood trial, my baby brother disappeared out of the blue!"

"Maybe he ran from you," Devan snickered, boring his hazel eyes into the boy. 

Nikkolai screamed in frustration, pounding his hand into the wall as his whole body trembled from his rage. Slowly, his body turned to face Devan, the expression on his face sending chills down Devan's spine from the murderous grin only a psychopath could possess.

"Michael Noble tasked me with keeping watch over Luke. He didn't mention anything about keeping an eye on Anna," he stated in a low cold tone, "maybe I'll kill her first."

He turned his back on Devan, slowly leaving the dungeon while Devan spurted multiple profanities towards the boy. "Don't you dare lay a hand on Anna! I will-"

Nikkolai whirled around with such intensity that Devan actually faltered for a moment in fear from the harshness of his voice, "Now, you finally admit your feelings after dismissing them all those years ago?" He chuckled as he shook his head, "Maybe I'll have some fun with Anna first. Cats are rather nimble."

Devan roared in anger as Nikkolai disappeared from view, clenching his fists wanting so badly to ram them repeatedly in the boy's face until he was begging for mercy. Dust began to fall from the dungeon walls and ceiling as the ground began to shake despite the thousand bolts of electricity surging through Devan's skin to stop him. He wasn't able to cause much damage as he collapse face first on the ground completely drained. With his last bit of strength, he projected his thought several hundred miles away into Anna's mind.

Anna, I promised nobody would ever lay a hand on you again and I swear to keep that promise!

~~~~~

So, what are your thoughts on this newest chapter? How do you feel about Devan, Derek's older brother? What about Nikkolai, do you love him or hate him? ;)

Stay tuned as some familiar characters return next chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.7K 1.9K 41
Everyone is still picking up the pieces after Makaela's decision. But with House Tenebris growing closer to their ultimate goal, some things may have...
6.4K 1.5K 32
β€’2021 WATTYS SHORTLISTβ€’ Fifteen were called, Five will be selected, Ten must die. Sixteen years ago, the shadow war took place. The Shadow Queen an...
1.3K 62 10
Y/n was a baby orphan found outside the kingdom walls no one knows how she got there. Only thing known is Morgana adored her the moment she laid eyes...
212 0 22
story of a boy's journey to his untold life of wizardry. story about friends, family and enemy. John was a prince of their kingdom who were hidden...