Alfýkin: The Last of the Elves

Galing kay Illeandir

It has been nigh on two hundred fifty years since the destruction of the Ring and peace thrives in Middle Ear... Higit pa

Orcs
One Question
Elstan
Child's Innocence
Hope is Fading
Cold Be Hand, Heart, And Bone
Partings
The White City
A Thief and a Spy
Nara
In the Darkest of Places
A King and A Friend
Muindor Estel
He lives
To Feel
A Queen in the Making
Embers
Spirits in the Night
Escape
I Am What I Am
Bonds Made
Over the River
Northbound
Fading
Life's Price
Peripeteia
Beyond Cold Light
A Bargain
Old Wounds
Little Breeze
Valiant Knights and Fair Ladies
Past Star-Lit Seas
Broken Promise: Part One
Broken Promise: Part Two
Truths and Lies
A/N

The Soldier

211 30 42
Galing kay Illeandir

Nara sighed heavily and rubbed her forehead. Her coronation had been a quiet affair earlier in the morning with the council and a single priest. The White Guard was also present, standing behind her, along with her own personal bodyguard of five men who followed her everywhere since her father's death. Now she sat in the council hall, still dressed in heavy silks from Rhûn fashioned after the queens of old, listening to another report of the advances of Prince Edros' army.

"This is the third attack on our borders. Word is spreading and the people are becoming frightened. We must take action and push this terror back before it cannot be stop," Lord Drian said. He reclaimed his seat at the lower end of the table.

"What is the extent of the damage wreaked upon our villages?" Jarron asked, he sat next to Nara, feeding her information of the different councilmen and how they operated.

Lord Drian smoothed his robes and spoke in low tones. His face creased.

"Captives have been taken. The villages burned to the ground and few survivors."

"How frequent are these attacks?" Lord Orpher asked.

"It is still too early to tell, Lord Orpher, there have only been three, but more are expected soon," Lord Drian said. As soon as he finished speaking Lord Fain, a thin wiry man with thinning hair jumped up.

"Perhaps three is all there will be. How do we even know the exiled prince is behind this? Attacks like these have been happening for centuries. They stop soon enough after these brigands satisfy their perverse desires and move on, " Lord Fain said. A collective groan met his statement. Nara barely suppressed a grin as she glared at her councilmen. "Even if we were to mount a defence, what generals would be availible? Last I heard you," he pointed to Lord Telmar, "had them holed up in the mountains protecting the border from this invasion you say is inevitable."

"The invasion is preventable if we take action now," Lord Telmar of Osgiliath stood. He was a cynical man, yet his insight over the years had proved invaluable, as much as the others hated to admit it. His military background provided him with a deep understanding of the possible courses a battle or war could take. He was also still a senior general, though close to retirement. Nara trusted him as wholeheartedly as her father had. "It is true though, Lord Fain, my generals are in the mountains resisting attack from Prince Edros' ragtag army. King Hassun fights a civil war on both fronts while we remain trapped among the mountains by Edros' men. The situation, I'm afraid, is more direct than we anticipated. If King Hassun falls there will be no one left to occupy Edros and he will send all his forces at us. For now they are split between our army and King Hassun's. Should either of us fall," Telmar looked gravely about the room, his hard eyes rested on Nara, "Gondor and Rohan will cease to exist."

"How many men does Edros have?" Nara asked.

"Attacking our men now are ten thousand strong. I cannot say for certain how many threaten King Hassun but the number is rumored to be greater. Among those rumors are that orcs work alongside him."

Cries of outrage rang in the room. It was several minutes before Nara could calm them.

"Gentlemen," she chided, "let us be mature about the situation at hand. Let Lord Telmar finish before you fly into a state of panic."

Several men hung their head in shame at being scolded by the queen, whom was half their age. Many wore their anger clearly in their face. Nara motioned for Telmar to continue. He gave her a slight bow.

"The orcs, however, are merely rumor. We cannot be for certain that it is true. As I speak scouts are entering Rohan to either prove or disprove these rumors. We shall have word in a fortnight."

"What of the attacks on the villages?"

Lord Telmar held up a patient hand.

"I am addressing that now. The attacks on the villages are little more than skirmishes in terms of fighting. However, these villages have been burnt to the ground, leaving the people without shelter and food and vulnerable to another attack."

"How do you plan to aid them?" Lord Fain interrupted.

"There is still a small number of soldiers among the barracks. Little more than one hundred. Twenty five will go to each of the three villages attacked while the rest remain here. I and Lieutenant Aron will lead our squadrons to the east where the first two attacks were. A third will travel north to the village attacked yesterday."

"Who will lead the third party?"

"Lieutenant Myran. A young man of twenty-four. He's being sworn in as a general in three days hence. He's smart, quick, and reliable. A good soldier but a better leader. He's risen through the ranks faster than I did."

"Lord Telmar," Nara addressed him, "I want to meet this Myran before I send you off."

"You approve of this endeavour, Nara?" Jarron asked leaning toward her. Nara locked eyes with him.

"Queen, Jarron, you will address me as queen while among the public," she said. "I do approve. My people are in need and I will not withhold aid from them. Bring Myran to my quarters in three hours. This meeting is finished. Leave your reports on my desk." She stood up and swept out of the room, leaving the councilmen floundering. Jarron scrambled after her.

Lord Telmar smiled to himself. She was so like her father, brisk, hard, sensible, and ever in control. He set off in search for the unmistakable form of Myran.

...

"Nara!" Jarron shouted after her. He tripped over his robes and stumbled to a grinding halt. Nara turned around and watched him pick himself off the floor with a small grin.

"Yes?"

"You cannot dismiss them like that."

"Why not?" Nara asked lightly. She turned around again and headed toward her rooms. "My father did it."

"Yes, your father did. But you are not your father," Jarron said. His breath came in short bursts as her tried to catch her but she kept walking faster and faster.

"Yes, I am not my father, but I find that I am similar to him in more ways than I expected. Give me another reason," Nara demanded over her shoulder. Jarron stuttered for a moment.

"It is rude to dismiss their council so flippantly."

Nara stopped immediately and spun around, white hot anger filled her. Jarron stumbled to a halt and stepped back. He was suddenly reminded of the times Eldarion's anger manifested itself in the man. He had always been glad to never been on the receiving end. Now he was receiving it from Eldarion's daughter and that was even more frightening. He could not predict Nara like he could Eldarion.

"Flippant?" Nara nearly screeched. "You would do well to rid yourself of that thought, Jarron, before I dismiss you. Believe me when I say this, uncle. I am not a girl any longer. I am the queen and a woman, and will be for far longer than you shall ever hope to live. Never forget that."

"Yes, my queen," Jarron said.

"Good, now leave me," Nara said. Jarron bowed and left. Nara felt a small seed of guilt plant itself. She loved her uncle dearly, but occasionally he would forget that she was his queen and not just his niece anymore.

She retreated to her rooms where a maid poured a hot bath. She shed her coronation dress and slipped into the steaming water with a sigh of contentment. An hour later she pulled herself reluctantly from the cooling water.

"Barris, bring me my riding clothes."

"Yes, my lady," Barris said. Nara soon sat warm and happy in her chair while Barris tied her hair into a simple braid.

"Will you bring me a decanter and three glasses?" Nara asked when her maid finished. Barris nodded and left the room. She returned shortly with the wine and three glasses on a platter. Nara and her struck up a simple conversation while Barris tidied up the room.

Harsh knocking interrupted their conversation.

"You may leave, Barris."

"My lady, what if it's..."

"I'd know that knock anywhere. Telmar is here."

"Yes, my lady," Barris said as she hurried out the side doors. Nara opened the doors with a smile that vanished from her face in an instant. Before her stood the mirror image of Illeandir

"Illeandir!" she shouted before she could stop herself. Telmar gave her a queer look.

"My queen," he bowed and so did his companion, "this is Lieutenant Myran."

"Forgive me, Lieutenant, you reminded me of someone."

Myran, after recovering from the shock of the queen answering the door in riding clothes and shouting, smiled and bowed again.

"There is nothing to forgive, my queen."

His voice was much deeper than Illeandir's Nara noticed. She studied him closer and saw that, that was not the only difference. His hair was lighter and not as long, only coming down to his shoulders tied back as it was. He was also bigger than she remembered Illeandir being, heavier set and more solid but still totally at ease in his movements. His face was more open and friendly. A thick leather band wrapped around his head. He still wore full armor and held his helmet in his hand.

There was something eerily familiar about Myran that went beyond his likeness to the elf. Try as she might, Nara could not dismiss it nor identify it.

Telmar cleared his throat.

"Oh, I am sorry. Come in and have a seat," Nara gushed. Telmar immediately claimed the seat closest to the fire. Myran hesitated. He was still unsure of what was happening. He had been told the queen wished to meet him and had been expecting... he wasn't sure what he'd expected, but it definitely wasn't this. At last he sat on a hard stool facing the door. Nara poured three glasses of wine and offered the first to him

"I'm on duty," he said, politely refusing the offer. Nara nodded and handed it to Telmar, who accepted it gratefully. She took her own glass and sat across from Myran, studying him silently as she had seen her father do many times. She wasn't sure what she was looking for but she waited, knowing that she would know when it happened.

Myran held her gaze evenly. They sat there for several minutes. Telmar muttered into his cup and drained it. He slammed it down on the table causing Nara and Myran to jump. Myran reached for his sword that wasn't there.

"As much as I'd like to see you two stare at each other all day," Telmar said, "I don't think any of us have time for that."

Myran muttered a quick apology.

"Myran," Nara swirled her wine in its cup, "where are you from?"

"Osgiliath, my queen."

"Do you have family there?"

"Yes. My mother and father."

"How long have you been in the army?"

"Six years, my queen," Myran replied. Nara nodded slowly.

"And in that time you've risen to the rank of lieutenant and in three days you will be a general. How did you accomplish that?"

Myran though for a moment before answering.

"I trained hard, practiced, and leaned every thing I could."

"No doubt you were taught well?"

"Yes, my queen, by the best."

Telmar choked on his wine.

"And you have no family other than your mother and father?"

"They are all, my queen. My brothers died in battle," Myran said.

"Older?"

"No, younger."

"I am sorry for your loss."

"It is the life of a soldier. We die for our country so others won't have to," Myran said heavily.

"Still, to lose ones family is a burden none should have to bear."

"And yet we do. Those of us that live must carrying on to do what they can no longer. We honor their memory by living for what they died for."

There was a long silence. Telmar could be heard sipping on his wine quietly.

"Boy, have I ever told you, you sound like a priest?"

"Yes, sir," Myran said with a smile.

"His head's too old for his body," Telmar said to Nara with a wink. Nara giggled.

"Thank you, gentlemen. That will be all."

Telmar drained his cup and moved to stand but Nara stopped him.

"Lord Telmar, may I have a word in private?"

"Of course, my queen. Go on back to your station, Myran. I'm sure the wind misses that hair of yours."

Myran grimaced. He quickly bowed to Nara and left.

"He's lying," Nara stated. Telmar sputtered.

"What!" he managed.

"He's lying about his family."

"What makes you think that?"

"I don't know," Nara said quietly. "Something doesn't feel right. I want you to send someone else to the village in your place. You will stay behind and look into his family. Find everything you can about him."

"But, my lady, if you say he is lying shouldn't he be kept in custody?"

"No, I don't want him to know about this. I trust him, but he is either lying or there is something he is not telling us. See if you can find anything about two brothers dying in battle. They would be close in age and only a few years younger than he. See if you can find his parents and bring them to me."

"Yes, my queen."

Telmar opened the door to leave but before he did he turned back.

"Your father would be proud of you, Nara."

Nara smiled but when he left she slumped in her chair.

"Father, I will find whoever killed you. I promise."
******************************

Honestly can't believe I got this up. I think this chapter introduces the last few mysteries for this book... for a while. Trust me though when I say all will be answered in due time. I know you have questions but I cannot answer them without giving away some pretty big details. For now, sit back, relax (okay, maybe not relax), and enjoy the show!

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

286K 7.9K 36
Farren and her brother Aragorn have wandered Middle Earth for the best part of a century, however with the discovery of the One Ring Farren is thrown...
32.1K 1.3K 20
Aeolin of Lothlorien has been traveling across Middle Earth for a little over a hundred years. After a loss struck her heart, Lothlorien was more of...
6.7K 388 18
COMPLETE! Book one in the 'A Face in the Crowd' trilogy, a LOTR fanfic. In the final days of the War of the Ring, meet Keren, a healer of Minas Tirit...
6.9K 618 50
Second installment in the Fëanoriel Chronicles. 35 years after the War of the Ring, the children of the heroes must go on their own quest to save Mid...