Rogue Nation: Meet the IMF

By Heartlocket1004

Two years after helping to take down a plot to incite nuclear war, Kat is finding it difficult to return to c... More

Chapter 1: Back
Chapter 2: Luck
Chapter 3: Freedom
Chapter 4: Weekly Date
Chapter 5: Vienna
Chapter 6: Ilsa Faust
Chapter 7: Casablanca
Chapter 8: The Torus
Chapter 9: High-speed chase
Chapter 10: Red Box
Chapter 11 Taken
Chapter 13: Counterattack
Chapter 14: Meet the IMF

Chapter 12: Loyalties

2.8K 77 11
By Heartlocket1004

Director Hunley frowned as he flipped through the map, and the two drawings, Ethan had left behind in Cuba, before flipping to the file MI6 Chief Atlee had sent him on Ilsa Faust. He frowned as he stared down at the woman, her file stamped to mark her as 'Disavowed'. Why had Hunt been chasing this woman? That was what he couldn't understand.

He sighed, leaning back in his seat as he stared out the window of his private jet. He paused when his secretary stopped beside him, holding out his phone as he informed Hunley: "William Brandt, sir. He says it's urgent."

Hunley took the phone quickly, before taking a breath and answering calmly: "I had a feeling you'd come to your senses, Brandt."

London

"Look, I'm only calling you because I've no other choice." Brandt replied darkly as he glanced around to make sure no-one was watching him as he stood in a London phone booth. "I'm trying to prevent a catastrophe."

"I can understand that." Hunley replied swiftly. "Where are you?"

Brandt took a deep breath before answering shortly: "London."

CIA private jet

Hunley quickly covered the phone's receiver, ordering his secretary quietly: "Reroute us to London, now." He lifted the phone back to his mouth as he asked, checking his watch to calculate how much time he had: "Where in London?"

"I'll tell you when you land," Brandt replied flatly, "not before."

Hunley's jaw locked and he hissed: "I'm not interested in playing games, Brandt."

"And I'm not interested in seeing my friends get killed either." Brandt replied a little sharply. "So if I'm going to betray them, we're going to do this in my terms and my terms only. Do you understand?"

"Are you sure you want to threaten me when Miss Taylor's life hangs in the balance?" Hunley asked in a deadly voice, and Brandt's voice was harsh as he replied: "You harm her, Hunley, and not even Ethan will be able to save you from me."

Hunley paused, surprised by the blatant claim Brandt was placing on the civilian woman after the months he'd spent trying to prove a professional disinterest. Not that it had been all that convincing but...

"Keep your phone on," Brandt ordered as he read the agreement in the CIA director's silence, "instruction will follow."

**********

London

"Should've been gone by now." Luther commented as Brandt walked back into the warehouse, and the man muttered distractedly: "Yeah."

Luther glanced at Brandt, noting the tired, almost resigned air about the man, and he asked in concern: "You okay?"

Brandt paused as he grabbed his kit bag, glancing back over at Luther as he pointed out: "Yeah. We're supposed to take down the Prime Minister of Great Britain tonight. So..."

He sighed, turning and making to go, when Ethan called: "Brandt."

Brandt looked over, and Ethan met his eyes as he said sadly, but determinedly: "I cant' see another way."

Brandt's face scrunched as he admitted: "Neither can I."

He paused, before adding seriously: "But we do what we have to do for our friends, right?"

Ethan nodded, and as Brandt left, Luther muttered: "Yeah. 'Friends'."

"Luther." Ethan chided.

**********

The hood was finally taken off of Benji and Kat's heads, both glancing at their respective captors first. Kat glared at the man who had kidnapped her, before glancing over and glowering at Vinter as the Russian man moved his gaze from Benji to her. He seemed almost amused by her clear hatred as he smirked at her.

Benji fidgeted before glancing down as he felt metal around his wrists, and he tugged futilely on his hands, manacled to the chair he was sitting in. Kat glanced down at his struggles, noting that she was in a similar position, before she noticed the man standing across from them.

Her eyes narrowed as she recognized Lane, not just from Ethan's pictures, but from their brief encounter six months ago. He looked the same as when she'd first seen him, pale with blonde hair sleeked back, and cold blue eyes behind his black-rimmed glasses.

Lane was watching her, his expression neutral, and they stared at one another for a moment. Benji glanced between the two uneasily, fearing for both his and Kat's lives. He was surprised at the amount of determined anger in Kat's face, warring with her fear, and he wondered very briefly if Ethan and Brandt would be proud of her courage. Or if it would give Brandt a heart attack.

He broke his train of thought as Lane walked slowly towards them, eyeing the man warily. Kat had tensed as well, clearly anticipating the worst, as Lane leaned in close to her face.

"Get them ready, please." Lane ordered, making both Kat and Benji frown. They glanced around, Kat's eyes flitting between trying to look around the office and eyeing Lane warily as he withdrew, turning away. Her eyes finally landed on something lying on the coffee table, and her eyes widened in terror as Benji's let out a gasp of horror.

Lane turned to smile at them as they glanced at him in disbelief, before he turned away and left them, while Kat and Benji struggled desperately in their seats.

**********

Brandt strode down the parking lot outside the auction house, buttoning his suit cuff as he met Hunley halfway.

"You're right to call me, Brandt." Hunley said firmly as Brandt joined him, the pair heading towards the building. "Where is Hunt?"

"He's on his way." Brandt replied shortly. "We don't have much time."

"What does he intend to do?" Hunley questioned, and Brandt replied firmly: "What matters is he's alive. And I need your reassurance," he turned to Hunley as they stopped walking to face each other, "that it's going to stay that way."

Hunley turned as they heard the sounds of police sirens, and he raised a brow as he watched the convoy arrive, the British Prime Minister climbing out of one of the cars as his guards escorted him.

Hunley turned to Brandt, eyes narrowed as he demanded: "Have you informed the British Government that Hunt has targeted the Prime Minister?"

"I will help you capture him... alive." Brandt answered flatly. "That is the deal."

Hunley lifted a brow, turning thoughtfully before he paused. He spotted Chief Atlee in the distance, walking up the street and heading towards the Prime Minister, and he smiled a little. Turning back to Brandt, he said severely: "You picked up some terrible habits from your friend, Brandt. The worst of them being that you still believe you can control any outcome."

He turned to order one of his agents: "Stay with him."

He nodded at Brandt, and the agent nodded. Brandt sighed as he watched Hunley leave, walking off towards Atlee. There was nothing more he could do.

"Chief Atlee." Hunley called as he approached the man. "Chief Atlee."

"Director Hunley," Atlee replied with just a hint of surprise as he turned to Hunley, "how delightful to see you here. Last time we spoke, you were hunting rogue agents in Morocco."

Hunley cut right down to the chase as he explained tightly: "Chief Atlee, I have reason to believe that the Prime Minister's life is in danger."

Atlee paused, his attention immediately caught. He glanced around, noting the Prime Minister in the distance, before leaning in to say to Hunley: "I'm listening."

Brandt watched the two men exchanging words in the distance, his brows knitting worriedly. Kat's life was hanging in the balance, and he wasn't sure how he felt about the way things were going.

**********

Brandt and Hunley waited inside the secure stateroom, standing about a foot apart from each other as they waited for Atlee to return. Hunley glanced at Brandt smugly, while Brandt ignored his looks as he focused solely on what was coming.

The doors finally opened and Atlee walked in, followed by the Prime Minister. Atlee let the Prime Minister walk in ahead, before closing the doors as he ordered his men: "Under no circumstances is anyone to enter."

"Yes sir." His agents replied, and Atlee closed the doors, satisfied with the security of the room.

**********

"Help me to understand." The Prime Minister said as he settled into a chair. "Who is this man? Why is he after me?"

"I'm afraid, Prime Minister," Atlee said apologetically, "Director Hunley and I share responsibility for this."

Hunley took over as he explained: "Ethan Hunt was part of a disgraced intelligence agency which is since been dissolved."

"And he's gone rogue," Atlee continued and the Prime Minister listened intently as Atlee explained, "unfortunately intent on dismantling an imaginary terror network."

Hunley went on: "Our new intelligence suggests that he's been manipulated by one of your own former agents."

The Prime Minister's eyes narrowed in thought as he turned to Atlee, who explained: "Ilsa Faust, Prime Minister. She disappeared two years ago."

"And if you don't mind I asking," the Prime Minister interrupted, "what do I have to do with this phantom network?"

"Sir, this is William Brandt," Hunley introduced as he gestured towards Brandt who was standing in the far corner of the room, "a former colleague of Hunt's. He came forward with first hand knowledge of the plot against you."

"Sir," Brandt explained, "Hunt is in possession of a virtual red box that can only be open by you. He believes it is the key to bring down the Syndicate."

Hunley turned back to the Prime Minister, before frowning slightly as he noted the dark look that passed over the other man's face. Unseen by him, Atlee stiffened just slightly, his face losing a little colour as the Prime Minister asked quietly: "The Syndicate, you say?"

"Yes, Sir." Hunley confirmed. "That's what he calls it."

The Prime Minister turned his gaze towards Atlee as he said slowly: "Atlee. He couldn't possibly be talking about that 'Syndicate'?"

Brandt's eyes slid over to Atlee, as Hunley's frown deepened.

"Because," the Prime Minister said in a warning tone, "you assured me that, that 'Syndicate' was merely an exercise?"

Hunley's eyes narrowed and he glanced at Atlee as the man protested: "And it was, Prime Minister. I can assure you."

"And yet," the Prime Minister said flatly, "here we have the Central Intelligence Agency indicating otherwise."

"I don't understand." Hunley said, genuinely confused, and Atlee said quickly: "Prime Minister, your life is in danger. I think our first priority is to move you to a secure location-"

"Sir." Brandt interrupted from behind. "Does the name Solomon Lane, ring a bell?"

The Prime Minister's face darkened even further as he replied slowly: "Yes. Unfortunately, it does."

Hunley's mouth had fallen open and he turned to Atlee as he asked in disbelief: "So, there actually is a Syndicate?"

Atlee turned to him quickly, while the Prime Minister explained in a controlled voice: "It was a hypothetical brainchild of Chief Atlee. Recruit former agents from other nations, supply them with a new identity and use them to surgically remove our enemies, both at home and abroad."

Hunley turned to look at Brandt in dismay before staring at Atlee incredulously while the Prime Minister continued: "It's operating budget was to be hidden offshore in a virtual red box which I alone would control."

Hunley turned to the Prime Minister in horror as he continued, his tone becoming gradually more agitated and angry: "It would've made me judge, jury and executioner with zero accountability. I rejected the proposal unequivocally. Furthermore, I was given every assurance it never passed the planning stage."

"Prime Minister," Atlee finally protested loudly, "there is no any Syndicate. These men have been duped by agent Faust."

"Atlee." The Prime Minister hissed furiously. "Save it for the public inquiry."

He pushed himself out of his chair, and Hunley warned: "Sir, I urge you not to leave this room."

"Excuse me." The Prime Minister growled as he made to leave, but Hunley his way as he pleaded politely but sternly: "Please. Hunt is uniquely trained and highly motivated. A specialist without equal, immune to any counter measures. There is no secret he cannot extract. No security he cannot breach. No person he cannot become. He has mostly likely anticipated this very conversation and is waiting to strike in whatever direction we move."

The Prime Minister's eyes narrowed, as Hunley finished: "Sir. Hunt is the living manifestation of destiny. And he has made you... his mission."

"Prime Minister." Atlee called softly, and the Prime Minister and Hunley turned to the MI6 Chief, just as he raised a gun and shot the Prime Minister.

Hunley stared at Atlee, aghast, while the Prime Minister blinked as he stared at the red dart in his chest before he began to sag to the ground. Hunley froze as Atlee pointed his gun at him, but when Atlee didn't shoot he carefully moved to catch the Prime Minister, helping him into a chair as Atlee kept his gun trained on Hunley.

As soon as the Prime Minister was seated, Hunley returned his full attention to Atlee, glaring before being stunned as the man reached up and pulled his face – or rather the mask – away.

"Hunt." Hunley hissed in surprise as Ethan tossed the mask away, stepping closer as he ordered, keeping his gun pointed at Hunley: "Sir, please step away from the Prime Minister."

Hunley did as he was told, still numb with shock as he stared at Ethan. He moved to the far side of the room as Ethan nodded at Brandt who strode forwards to the Prime Minister.

"Just relax, Sir." Brandt said soothingly to the Prime Minister as he removed the dart, pocketing it swiftly. "Everything is going to be alright."

"Atlee shot me." The Prime Minister said numbly and slurring a little as the drug took over his system.

"Yes, he did, Sir." Brandt agreed as he checked the man's pulse and tested to make sure he was fine. Ethan pulled out a tablet, tossing it to Brandt who caught it easily. Ethan continued to toss gadgets over, keeping his gun trained on Hunley who was staring accusingly at Brandt before he turned to Ethan.

"Hunt," he said quietly, "I hope you realize you set back US-UK relations to the American Revolution."

"Desperate times, desperate measures, sir." Ethan replied shortly as he dialed on his cell.

"I'm here." Luther answered swiftly from where he was still sitting in the warehouse, laptop ready.

"Standby to receive." Ethan called, and Luther answered firmly: "Ready."

"And tell Luther I heard that 'friend' jab." Brandt added, and Luther chuckled: "What? Tell Brandt to admit it- he was thinking mostly about his girlfriend."

"Luther." Ethan sighed, shaking his head at his friends' maturity. Or rather, their lack thereof.

Brandt grinned once as he guessed what Luther must've said to warrant Ethan's tone, but became serious once more as he finished getting ready.

"Scanning." He called as he used a round, monocle-like gadget to scan the Prime Minister's eye.

"Retinal scan, confirmed." Luther told Ethan, and he nodded at Brandt to let him know it was good.

Brandt quickly moved to grabbed to grab the tablet, kneeling beside the Prime Minister as he placed the man's hand on the tablet, murmuring: "Some convenience, Sir."

He placed his hand on the Prime Minister's wrist to hold it steady as the tablet scanned the man's hand and sent it to Luther.

"You've got a very warm hand." The Prime Minister told Brandt randomly, making him slowly turn his head to look at Ethan with a slightly horrified expression. Ethan just shrugged, as though to say 'what-can-you-do?' and Brandt turned back to the Prime Minister.

"Biometric, confirmed." Luther told Ethan. "The prompt is 'KIPLING'."

"The prompt is 'KIPLING'." Ethan told Brandt as he tossed his phone over, and Brandt nodded as he caught the phone.

He told the Prime Minister as he held the phone's receiver to the Prime Minister's mouth: "Sir, I'm gonna need a pass phrase," Ethan quickly checked his watch, "the prompt is 'KIPLING'."

"Yes, of course." The Prime Minister murmured. "'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs. If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you'."

"You got it?" Brandt asked as he straightened up, and Luther replied in awe: "I got it. Oh man, do I got it."

**********

Chief Atlee strode up to the stateroom, saying to the guards with a small smile: "I'm here to see the Prime Minister."

They frowned slightly, exchanging looks as one said in a slightly confused tone: "We were told not to let anybody in."

"By whom?" Atlee asked with a frown. The man glanced at his companion and Atlee looked over expectantly.

"By... you, sir." The man answered slowly. Atlee's eyes narrowed and pushed passed the men, throwing open the stateroom doors to reveal Hunley standing on the far side of the room with a clearly drugged Prime Minister sitting beside him.

"Hunley, what is this?" Atlee hissed furiously. "Security!"

The guards hurried in immediately, and Ethan and Brandt shut the doors from where they had been hiding behind them, shooting the guards and knocking them out. Atlee stared at the red darts sticking out the backs of his men before he whipped around as they fell to the ground.

"Chief Atlee." Ethan greeted. "Kind of you to accepted our invitation."

He fired his gun at Atlee, and Atlee blinked, staring at the red dart before he also fell to the ground.

"Do you know who I am?" He asked, his voice also starting to slur, as he stared up at Ethan, Brandt, and Hunley as they stood over him.

"We know you created the Syndicate." Ethan replied darkly as he knelt down above the man's head. "But Lane went rogue and turned it against you, didn't he? And you've been desperately trying to cover it up. That's why you erased the disk when she brought it to you."

"That's... true." Atlee whispered as the drug took over. Ethan turned to level a look at Hunley as the Director turned to glance at him sheepishly.

"Now," Ethan addressed Atlee once more, "Director Hunley has some questions for you regarding Ilsa Faust. Namely, how you framed her."

"That's... also true." Atlee murmured, and Ethan stood up, satisfied. He and Brandt faced Hunley as the man stared at them in a mix of shock and apology.

Ethan handed him a vial as he explained shortly: "It's the antidote."

"When the Prime Minister found out about the Syndicate," Brandt added firmly, "Atlee had attacked him."

"Yes, that's true." The Prime Minister piped up from his chair, still out of it from the drug's effects.

"And then you saved the Prime Minister, sir." Brandt finished as he nodded at Hunley, who frowned slightly, particularly when the Prime Minister asked in surprise: "Did he? I'm very grateful."

Hunley glanced at the Prime Minister before slowly turning back to Brandt and Ethan. Ethan handed over his gun and Hunley slowly took it, meeting Ethan's eyes for a moment before he nodded in understanding and agreement.

"Sir." Ethan greeted with a small smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 57 12
Book one of "the Mission Impossible" series 《In which a 16 year old girl named Sara Russi hepls in secret missions with her "not by blood" family O...
190 33 12
Meet 18 year old Claire Miles. Agent Miles if you will. Her parents were taken by a country's government just south of Finland. Life as she knew it b...
31K 522 45
Kensi O'Connell is another agent at the IMF, when shot by other agents she is set on revenge. Starts with William Brandt then morphs into an Ethan Hu...
1K 80 9
Audio Recording: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgQ-PbEEn6_-b9MW7KBn26VKqzY8Rfy2P This isn't your traditional "Boy meets Girl" story. No. This st...