Drop of Magic (Malec)

By thespilledpoet

And in that moment I realize I feel no regret. This is one moment I never want to leave, but also one I'll ne... More

Taken Interest
Not Irrelevant
Perfect Moments
Pancakes and Honesty
Old Wounds and Alcohol Don't Mix
Hangovers Suck
Partners?
Controlled Alcohol Makes Dates Better
Blissful Mornings
Movie Nights and Moving
Shopping Can Be Fun
For Us
Becoming a Lightwood
Good News and Bad News
Two Months
Falling, Hard
I Love You
Drop of Magic (Epilogue)
(Author's Note)
Bonus Chapter (1) Elevator Stays and Rainy Days
Bonus Chapter (2) Not The Wedding You Were Expecting
Bonus Chapter (3) Pack My Bags
Bonus Chapter (4) Our Magic
Bonus Chapter (5) Little One
Bonus Chapter (6) Mess ups and Make ups
Bonus Chapter (7) Starting Over
Bonus Chapter (8) First Halloween
Bonus Chapter (9) Lucky
Bonus Chapter (10) It's Christmas!

Mario Kart and Max

3.3K 167 21
By thespilledpoet

      "You weren't kidding about this house," Max says in awe as he sets some of the bags down on the living room floor. He spins around slowly, taking in the huge flat screen, the drop floor lounge with the leather couch and chairs, the striking blasts of colour in the form of area rugs, end table, throw pillows or wall hangings. He looks at the high bookshelves, the wall of windows that looks out over Brooklyn and the winding staircase. 

"Here, Max. We'll make Alec put the clothes away and I'll take you on a little tour." Max laughs brightly and flashes me an evil smirk as he follows Magnus. 

"Picking favourites already," I grumble but smile fondly as they walk towards the opening to the kitchen.

Magnus POV 

      I lead Max into the kitchen. "So this is our kitchen and bar," He drags his fingertips along the black marble countertop at the island and dances his way around the room for a moment before coming back to me. I smile at him and lead him back out towards the staircase. We ascend and he looks to this left and right at the wide hallways on either side of us. 

"Come this way, I'll show you the offices, guest rooms, game room and library." His eyes brighten up and I chuckle, hand on his shoulder as I guide him to the left. "This is the library," I begin, opening a set of wide double doors. Inside is a two-story library. "By far my favourite room of the house," I tell him, watching with an affectionate smile as he slowly makes his way around. 

"There's a comic book section. Maybe next time you come by you can borrow some stuff." He nods eagerly and smiles brilliantly as I lead him back out. "These are the offices," I gesture vaguely to a few doors and he nods, neither of us very interested in work. When I open the door into the games room, though, it's like he's just seen Santa or something. He darts in and props his hands on the pool table. "Do you know how to play, Max?" I ask, wandering up behind him. 

"No, but I've watched Jace and Alec play when I was younger." I nod and smile. 

"Well, you'll have to learn soon." He grins and nods. "There are gaming consoles over there, I don't use them too much, and movies too." He hangs around for a few minutes, looking everything over before following me out. We make our way back down the hall, passing the staircase. We wander towards mine and Alec's room and I smile, hearing him mumbling on the other side of the door. I cleared out a portion of my walk-in closet for him and his drab attire, considering it was only fair, even if the dark colours he wears clashes with the brightness of my own. I guide Max inside and he spins around in awe. 

"It's like the room I've always wanted." He says and I smile. 

"He does have good taste, I guess." Alexander pipes up, popping his head out from the closet. He's holding one of the suits in his hands and I smile.

"Leave that one out, you should wear it to work tomorrow," I suggest and he flashes me a quick smile but hangs it on the end of the clothing rack for the morning. "So, Max, what would you like to do?" I ask and he furrows his brows, thinking hard. 

"Could we play some games?" He asks and I nod. Alec peeks out again and groans. 

"You showed him the gaming room, didn't you?" He asks me pointedly and I nod sheepishly. 

"Mistake?" I ask, grinning now. 

"Big one." Alexander laughs and the sound lightens my entire mood. "He'll kick our butts." I chuckle and we all head to the gaming room. 

An hour later, I realize that Alexander was not kidding. We opted for Mario Kart, and despite my best efforts (I won't divulge just how much time I've spent playing this game), I lose to the little brat every time! Though so does Alexander, so it makes me feel a bit better. It's strange to see him interact with his younger brother, refreshing almost. He seems content, eyes bright with youthful glee. He looks at Max with pride and love, with fear and protectiveness. Seeing Maryse act towards Alec earlier filled me with so much anger and defensiveness, I wanted nothing more than to take Alexander and Max far away, make sure they'd never have to feel that way again. I make a note to myself to talk to Alec in a bit more depth about his mother. 

Alec POV 

      It's nearing 5 when we've had enough of gaming. I can tell Max is getting hungry. "So, buddy, what are you in the mood for?" I ask him, ruffling his hair up despite his protests. 

"Could we just order pizza or something? Mom never lets us have junk food." I smile and nod. 

"Yeah, sure, right Magnus?" He nods and I notice he has a warm, loving look in his amber eyes when they meet mine. I smile dotingly at him as we walk out of the games room and back downstairs. When we've figured out what kinds, Magnus calls, and orders. I sit on the couch with Max beside me, turning on the TV and letting him pick a show. After a few beats of silence, he looks over at me. 

"Alec? Why'd you leave?" I tense up and push my hair back. 

"I didn't want to, but I didn't have a choice." I didn't want to paint my mother as a bad person for what she did to me, I didn't want Max to hate her because of her bitterness towards who I am. He looks at me, brows furrowed, begging me for answers. "So, you know that I like guys, right? Like... I prefer dating males over females." He nods at me. "Well, some people don't like that, even though there's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't change who I am as a person. Mom is one of those people who disagrees with my choices. So she didn't want me to live at home anymore, and wouldn't..." I sigh, trying to think of how to word this without making anyone out to be too bad. "She didn't think it would be a good idea for me to be influencing you." Max frowns and crosses his arms. 

"I think she's wrong. It's not right to take you away from me, you're my brother and you love me, right?" I nod profusely, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. 

"Of course I love you, Max. And I agree that we should be able to see each other. I hope we can, now." He leans into me and I hug him tightly in case this is the last time I'll get to for awhile. 

"I won't let her keep me away from you anymore. You're my big brother and it's only fair I get to see you, and Magnus, because he's cool." I chuckle and smooth his hair down.

"Okay, buddy." Magnus wanders into the room with a few cans of pop, setting them down on the coffee table. Max eagerly sits up and opens one, and I watch, leaving mine untouched for now. Magnus shoots me a look, obviously noting the glossy look in my eyes, the way I'm biting my lip hard enough to break it. I force a small smile and shake my head, dismissing it for now. He nods a bit, still evidently worried, but lets it go. 

      After dinner, it's time to take Max home, despite how much I want to keep him with me where I think he's safe. I texted Jace earlier to let him know what happened and he promised to keep an eye on things tonight and until things cooled down. I knew he wouldn't let me down, that he'd look out for Max like he always has. Like I should've. We drive up to the place I grew up for the first time since I moved out. It looms over the street, lit up inside, like a Jack-o-Lantern. Maybe I only make that connection because to me, this place is haunted. Jace comes outside to greet Max and I'm thankful it wasn't my mom. I don't think I have it in me for another fight today. We speak briefly for a moment, but when I see the flicker of a curtain move and the familiar dark hair of my mother, I usher them to go inside. Jace nods in understanding and hugs me quickly before they head inside. I let them take a piece of my heart with them.

      "Come on, darling, tell me what's on your mind." Magnus coos, carding his delicate fingers through my hair as we lounge on the couch, wine glasses on the coffee table, half full. I sigh and bury my face in his chest. He doesn't push it just yet, though I'm well aware I owe him an explanation of some sort. 

"I just... I wasn't there for Max like I should be. And I want him to grow up right, without prejudice. I don't want him to grow up to hate me." My voice is weaker at the end and I feel Magnus tighten his arm around me. "I just wish it were easier to be me." He presses his lips to my forehead before resting his own against it. 

"Max is smart and he loves you. He knows that no matter who you love or what you do, you love him. And that's what matters. There's nothing you can do to change things, for now, just continue working to be around him. Despite what your mother says, he's your family. You'll make it work. We'll make it work, together." I relax as he speaks and I nod against his chest. No matter what is wrong, Magnus has ways of piecing it all back together so it's not nearly as broken as I thought. He takes shards of broken things and makes them whole again, like magic. Sitting up, I lean forward and grab my wine, glancing up at the TV screen for the first time since we arrived back home. 

"Is he supposed to be a werewolf or something?" I ask, furrowing my brows at the half naked teenager on the screen. 

"Not supposed to be, darling. He is a werewolf." 

"But why does he need to be shirtless if he doesn't even change?"

"Because there's no way in heaven I'd watch this show if he wasn't." 

      "Let's invite people over!" Magnus exclaims, hopping up from his spot next to me on the couch. It's Saturday and we have the day off. I've noticed he doesn't like to be bored, that he likes to keep himself busy, and in turn, me busy all the damn time. 

"Or we could nap," I suggest, tugging persistently on the sleeve of his blazer. He turns to me, eyes sparkling. 

"Or invite people over. It's been awhile since I've thrown a party. Let's do it. We'll invite your siblings, Clary, and Simon, and some of my friends I'd like you to meet." He spins out of my grasp and smirks at me from a few feet away. Before I can help it, I find myself pouting, bottom lip jutting out a bit. "Oh come now, love. Don't make me bite that pretty little lip of yours." He winks at me and I blush, standing up and walking over to him. 

"A party..." I wonder out loud, thinking what his parties must be like. 

"Yes, a party." He states, smiling boldly at me, his pearly white teeth glimmering in the light streaming in through the front window. He's too stubborn to argue with, and seeming to be very persistent about this silly party idea. I doubt anyone will come on such short notice anyway. 

"Great," I sigh. "A party."   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.1K 791 16
___________________________ "Why are you here?" ". . . I don't know." ___________________________ [IN THE EDITING PROCESS] Echo Lightwood is a girl w...
80.2K 3.4K 51
[COMPLETED] In a rush I was no longer in the cold and rainy street but in someone else's apartment. Confused, I looked around me and saw two men in f...
11K 404 27
Magnus knew his husband would leave him... permanently... at some point, but he never imagined it to happen so soon. Magnus's husband, Alexander Bane...
10.4K 329 20
You have two boys that have live that are the complete opposite of each other. You have Alexander Gideon Lightwood, who is the Prince of Angels. Th...