You Are My Sunshine [Sherlock...

By hi-its-lefty

During Sherlock's darkest days after the tragedy at the aquarium and John's fury at him, Sherlock realizes th... More

You Are My Sunshine

102 10 6
By hi-its-lefty

Dear John,

Within this envelope, I am enclosing my will, a photo of the two of us, and a CD full of songs that made me think of you.

I am writing this letter to clarify a few of my more recent, possibly cryptic, actions. My time here is drawing quickly to a close, so I would very much like for you to understand a few things, or at least attempt to.

Look, John, I... at the aquarium... I was ready to die. I wanted it. And Mary... Mary decided, like so many others before her, that it was best for everyone if I didn't get what I want. I... I wish to God she wasn't as brave as she was. Not quite so noble. So loving. I wish she had just let me die.

Then you and she and Rosie could be a normal family, without the bothersome Sherlock Holmes butting in.

Look, I realize this is all my fault. And I don't blame you for not speaking to me, but John...

Don't blame me for living. It's not what I wanted. It wasn't my idea.

It's just one of the tragedies of our universe: the people who want to die get saved, and those who don't deserve death get snatched too quickly by the Reaper.

I regret every breath I take. Every movement I make.

I shouldn't be breathing. Shouldn't be moving. Mary should be the one still alive. I should be the one with the bullet in my chest.

I wish I died in that aquarium. Honestly, I think I've only got a few months left, anyway. At the rate I'm using Cocaine and other terrible things, my heart will stop, or I'll jump off a bridge, or something of that nature. Perhaps I'll lose mobility in my arms-- they are so covered in bruises and puncture wounds it would be an almost welcome change. Hell, I don't even care how it's effecting my brain anymore. I rarely take cases, these days. I'm too high or too broken to function.

 Since it is likely that I won't see you again, I think it's safe to tell you... I think I'm in love with you. No, I don't think, I know. No one has ever made me as happy as you have, and I will treasure the time we spent together until the end of my (admittedly limited) days. I know that this is a terrible thing to say-- your wife dies, and in place of her affection, you get mine-- and I wish I could just snap my fingers and fall out of love with you. Unfortunately, I think we both know that's not how love works. You can't just turn it on and off like a tap. To do that would be to take away a huge part of who I am-- who I have become. 

In the words of that old-as-time song, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine". Every time I hear even a snippet of that song, I can't help but think of you. "You make me happy when skies are grey/ you'll never know dear, how much I love you, so please don't take my sunshine away...".  You are the sun and, as you taught me after learning of my pitifully limited knowledge of the solar system, I am a planet orbiting around you in infinite circles, destined to do so until I either crash into you or you burn out.

I'm not sure which of those scenarios this is. Maybe this is me getting hit by a meteorite and shattering into billions of irreparable pieces, all flying at terminal velocity through the cosmos.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Anyway, in the likely case that I don't see you again... I need you to know that you are loved. In your own words, you are the best man I have ever known. Before I knew you, I was so... so alone, and I doubt I shall ever be able to pay you back for everything you have done for me. But the best I can do, in our current state of estrangement, is thank you.

Thank you, John Hamish Watson, for being the best and the bravest human being I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. It was a privilege to consider you my best friend, and it was a privilege to love you.

Thank you so ineffably much for being you.

And though it is highly atypical of me to close a letter with this sort of valediction, I feel that you most definitely require an exception. So, with this short closing message, I shall leave you in peace:

If there is an afterlife, I hope to see you there.

Love,

Sherlock Holmes

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
4.8M 255K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
933K 21.4K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
460K 31.4K 47
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...