Apocalyptic: The Beginning

By dwcyrus

Book 1 of a 3 part series. Before the rise of Lucifer and the war between Heaven and Hell there was simply t... More

Gabriel
Having 'Fun'
Light and Dark
A Ray of Sunshine
Just a Little Fun
Unheard/Unseen
Selective
Rise by Sin, By Virtue Fall
Mentor
Kindled Flame

Duck, Duck, Fly

7 0 0
By dwcyrus

The feathers felt hard against Gabriel's hands as he ran them softly through the down feathers. Keeping them prim as he looked into the mirror he finally righted them all so they were facing the same direction. Satisfied he smiled as he sat back tilting his head and watching the wings move at the movement. It had only been two days since his had finally formed. He was still a bit upset that Luciel's had appeared almost four months prior despite being younger then Gabriel.

Even now the other was now flying around with God following his every movement. A strange almost bitter feeling followed that realization as over the last couple months it seemed that God simply brushed him aside. For a long time it was simply God and him he just couldn't understand why he was so focused on Luciel now. It angered Gabriel.

Huffing he finally decided he was ready and started to walk towards his door. He was reaching to open it when it was suddenly burst open Luciel flying in and knocking him back. "Ahh!" Gabriel cried covering himself before realizing what had happened. "Luciel! What in Heavens Name are you doing in here! This is my room." Gabriel growled getting up and stomping his foot in emphasis.

"Look look!!!" Luciel said excitedly opening his hand and revealing a feathered creature. Gabriel had never seen anything like that with a hard flattened piece protruded out acting like mouth. "I'm calling it a Duck. I got to make it with God." Luciel continued petting the yellow-bodied creature happily.

Gabriel however was frozen a cold numb coming over his body as he heard those words. "Wha... What?" He asked taking a step back.

"It's only a baby now but when it grows up it'll be able to fly like us. As well as swim! Do you have any water around?" He asked oblivious to the others reaction as he started to walk around the room. His wings were a ruffled mess as he set the creature down on Gabriel's dresser. The duck blinked before settling down watching Luciel move.

Gabriel however had enough, "No!" He yelled stomping his foot once more.

"You have no water?" Luciel asked.

"No get out! I don't care about your... Your... Your stupid duck! Get out!" Gabriel yelled his voice rising a few octaves as his wings outstretched trying to make him look more threatening.

"It's not stupid! You're stupid!" Luciel yelled back grabbing his duck and pulling it tight against his chest. His eyes blazed with anger as he started to get defensive. "You don't have to be such an insufferable, entitled prick all the time!" He yelled before unfurling his wings and blasting past Gabriel once more knocking him over this time on purpose as his one wing turned to smack him. Falling back Gabriel watched him fly away before running to the door and shutting it.

Hearing a click as he locked it he finally stepped back tears starting to fall as he let out a quiet sob. His hands moved up to cover his face as he walked over to his mirror. Sitting down in front of it he wrapped his knees close as he tried to recover. It was just so unfair! Luciel was slowly becoming... Better then Gabriel and he hated it. He knew that was wrong to feel but he just felt.... Lonely.

He had never felt this way before not even when it was just God and him. He never felt alone. Yet now with a brother that was slowly overshining him he was losing Gods attention. Now Gabriel's special job was now being passed over to Luciel?

"Maybe he is better." He thought out loud. 'It must be true if father gives him the attention he does.' He added mentally looking up his eyes resting on his wings. The feathers once groomed were now disheveled giving a visual image of his mental state right now. Sighing he reached out and started to groom them once more. A futile task but it helped to distract his mind especially when sad. It also reminded him of a little fact.

He still didn't know how to fly.

Don't get him wrong he had tried but everytime he got a little off the ground he just... Panicked. He knew God was disappointed but Gabriel just didn't have the courage. He spent most of the day in the room but finally he felt the effects of hunger. Knowing he had to eat he forced himself to his feet and then to the dining hall. Luciel was already eating almost maniacally as he practically shovelled things into his mouth. Upon seeing Gabriel however he glared and sat back down crossing his arms. "Well look who decided to grace us with his presence." He mocked.

Gabriel immediately got defensive as he glared and walked to take his seat. "I don't grace you with my presence." He retorted lamely reaching for a plate and dishing himself up nose crinkling at the mess. He could feel his brothers red eyes on him and did his best to ignore him as he started to eat.

Finally when he was halfway through his food he looked back up angry that the other was still staring at him. "What? Don't you have anything better to do?" He asked crossing his arms before pushing against his seat and standing up.

"Not really. God has godly things to do now so I'm bored..." Luciel said. "Want to go fly together? We haven't flown together before. That sounds fun right?" He asked suddenly smiling as he got up excited at the idea.

"Uh..."

"Come on just fly around the grounds!" Luciel said.

"I... I don't wanna." Gabriel said looking down.

"What? Come on you don't hate me that much that you won't even fly with me!" Luciel said sounding hurt and angry. Gabriel didn't have to look at him to know he had crossed his arms.

"I don't..." Gabriel started to say that he didn't hate Luciel but was surprised to find he couldn't. Instead he continued, "I don't think that it would be a good idea. I mean it's almost sunfall."

Luciel didn't catch the slip as he seemed to think it over, "Then we better hurry!" He said before leaving the room quickly ignoring Gabriel's protest. Gabriel stomped his foot once more before shaking his head and starting to follow after him.

'I can do this. It's just flying.' He reminded himself standing up straighter as he made it over to Luciel. Walking beside him he refused to look at him as they started to walk. It was only when they started to climb the next steps of stairs that Gabriel finally said something, "Why are we going up?" He asked already figuring he knew why.

"It's easier to get lift off from somewhere high. Come on I know the perfect place!" Luciel said reaching out and grabbing onto Gabriel's hand. Pulling him forward they started to run up the stairs. Reaching a door Luciel opened it before walking out revealing what seemed to be a perch. Gabriel wanted to stop but Luciel continued to drag him until they were practically at the edge.

"No wait!" Gabriel said finally pulling away being quick to step away from the edge. Luciel had almost jumped off before he realized the other had stopped.

"Why? Let's just jump." He said crossing his arms.

"Why do we have to go flying. Why can't we... we play a game!" Gabriel said brightening.

"What game."

Gabriel's mouth opened and closed as he tried to think of one.

"Let's just fly. Look the wind is really good today!" Luciel said smiling happily. Gabriel however looked down once again trying to think of what to say to convince the other to do something else. He was thrown out of his thoughts though when Luciel suddenly pulled him against him pulling him so he was right near the edge. "Were you listening. I said lets jump together." Luciel said.

"Wait!"

"No no more waiting let's JUMP!" Luciel said before leaping off the platform dragging Gabriel with him. Immediately he turned and wrapped his arms around Luciel pulling himself tight against him as he fought back the rising panic and fear.

"No no no! Take me back!" Gabriel cried now falling completely into panic.

"Unf... Gabe let go you're too heavy!" Luciel said trying to dislodge the other as he felt himself starting to fall. His wings flapped wildly but were unable to make them rise any further.

Gabriel however moved in closer to him refusing to let go as his eyes closed tight his heart beating a mile a minute. "Just open your wings..." Luciel said while at the same time he tried to open his wings wider. He managed to get them into a half glide although they were still falling quicker then he would have liked. Realizing his brother wasn't going to be no help he noticed the pond and started to glide towards it. "We're about to get a little wet." He warned before with a splash they landed hard into the pond.

The water shocked Gabriel out of the panic he had fallen into as he quickly took a breath only to breath in a mouthful of pond water. Flailing he felt himself being lifted before his head broke the surface. Spluttering he started to cough as Luciel carried them back to the shore. Pulling him out he rested him down before lifting him up holding him carefully his eyes unreadable. "You okay?"

Gabriel was quiet the coughing fit finally over. Pulling his legs to his body again he couldn't help but to cry hating himself for showing yet another weakness to Luciel. Feeling him pulled closer to the other for once he didn't fight it and instead let himself be held. "I can't fly.... It scares me..." Gabriel finally admitted.

"Why didn't you just tell me?"

Silence.

Hearing the other sigh he was surprised to feel himself rising as he was lifted to his feet. He was surprised he was still letting him touch him usually very aversive to it. Looking up into Luciel's eyes he looked confused before looking down again. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine Gabe. Come on let's go back to your room." Luciel suggested.

They were silent as they walked the halls. When they finally reached Gabriel's room Luciel stopped just short finally pulling away. Without the others touch Gabriel felt cold and a shiver went through him. He didn't say anything about it though as instead he waited for the other to speak. "See you tomorrow Gabe."

'That's it?'

"Yeah.... Okay." He replied back watching as Luciel turned and started to walk away. He stood in the door for a few more moments after the other had left before finally turning around and heading back to his room.

Now he felt lonely and cold.

Luciel however was trying to sort through the events that had just happened. Making it to his room he was greeted by a loud quack as the duck walked over to him. Smiling he shut the door before reaching down and picking up the bird walking to his bed as he laid down. "You know. I wish I was waterproof like you." He said picking the duck up so it was looking directly at him.

"Quack."

"Quack." Luciel replied back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 177 26
*Written in third person* Since the beginning of time their has been God and his angels. Seven angels: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Selaphiel...
935 233 99
COMPLETED!!! Hannah; an angel, meets Garin; a demon, while on an assignment on Earth. They hated each other at first but after Sparks fly between the...
5.9K 407 32
This is the sequel to my previous story, 'The Dream of a Fangirl' Read 'Important' and it should explain everything. Make sure to read 'The Dream of...
161K 1.1K 27
In a kingdom plagued by demons, a young girl found herself more than just a healer. Perhaps more than just a human.