Those Summer Nights

Oleh BakeAwayDarling

My 18th summer at my lake house, my last one before I go off to college in the fall, and it's filled with cha... Lebih Banyak

~Me
~Summer is Here
~Feeling Free

~The Night of Nights

62 6 2
Oleh BakeAwayDarling

I arrived right around nine.

As you walk up to the doors, men with white gloves open the big elegant doors, and escort you inside. I walked in and it was the coolest thing. It was decorated so elegantly, but fun. Everyone had a mask on and looked so dressed up. I felt like we were all princes and princesses. Like this was a daydream.

I didn't really know what to do. I didn't know anyone, or really how to meet anyone. I have no idea if I'll even find Ash tonight. So, I thought I'd get some punch. The snack bar was not just filled with junk food, but gourmet food. There were little cocktail meatballs, mini pigs in a blanket, and tiny finger sandwiches, and everything looked and smelled so good.

The lights were dim and I was watching everyone dance. I was a little disappointed, just standing here alone with my cocktail meatballs. I don't even know if my best friend is here. Shouldn't I know more people? I feel like everyone has someone to talk to, except for me.

I decided to put down the food, and try to mingle. I tried to shimmy my way over to the huge crowd of everyone dancing. I forgot to mention that I can't dance. I didn't know what the song was, but I tried throwing my arms in the air and following along with the beat. I was having a good time.

Until it ended and a slow song came on. I kind of looked around, and found that everyone was finding a partner to dance with. I slowly started to back away.

I bump into something, or someone, and turned around. A really tall guy was behind me.

I looked up, "I'm so sorry!"

He laughed a little, "You're fine." His mask was black with red thread running around the edge, and a red matching bow tie.

I smiled back and awkwardly put my hand up, semi waved as I backed up. I turned back around walked straight for the snack bar. It's just one guy, I won't see him again anyway.

Once I got to the snack bar I reached for a napkin and someone else's hand landed on mine. Really? I pulled away and looked to see who it was. Someone with a crooked tie was smiling at me.

I smiled politely, "Sorry."

"No, no, it was my fault." He turned to me, he was about my height, "Actually, I wanted to know if you'd like to dance with me?"

"Uh, sure." He held out his hand and I took it. He led me out to the dance floor. One hand on his shoulder, the other resting on his hand. He placed his hand on my hip and took the lead.

I tried to follow along, but I had no clue what he was trying to do. I said that I was a bad dancer, but I don't think this guy was any better. We both kept looking down at our feet. He stepped on my toes, ouch! I winced a little.

"Oh I'm sorry."

I tried to smile, "It's fine."

I actually couldn't wait for the song to be over. It was 'The A Team' by Ed Sheeran, one of my favorites, but this guy was not a good dancer. I could tell He was uncomfortable and his hand felt sweaty. Also, it was a little too cheesy the way he asked me to dance.

Finally I heard the final "To fly, to fly, to fly, Angels To Die" and the song ended.

I thanked him for the dance and we parted. Then the DJ said, "Alright Ladies and Gentlemen were gonna keep it slow for the next few songs. Get to know theses masked people around you, you never know who they might be. And enjoy the night"

'Dream' came on by Pricilla Ahn, definitely one of my top ten favorites slow songs. I wanted to look for someone new to dance with.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and a little bit of worry came over me thinking it could be the same bad dancer. I turned around. It was the guy with the red threaded mask. Relieved, I blushed, I couldn't help but smile at him. In a moment he slid his hand into mine and held it close to us, and placed his hand in the small of my back. We were close, but I could still look up at him. I wrapped my arm around his shoulder.

"Hi sparkles," He smiled at me.

"Hi"

"So, how are your toes?" He smirked.

I laughed, "Were you watching us?"

"I couldn't help, but notice. He had two left feet, but it was hard to look away."

"He was...nice."

"You paused." Before I could respond he said, "I knew he wasn't your date."

"Excuse you, We've been together for six months," I teased

"Mhm. You barely made any conversation...What was his name again?"

"I don't know your name," I said cleverly.

"That's part of the mystery tonight."

The song continued and he spoke up again," So where is your date?"

"Actually, I don't have one. I'm waiting for my best friend."

"Seems valid," he nodded his head like he approved.

"Well where's your date?"

"I'm waiting for my girl."

"Maybe she stood you up," I smiled up at him.

"Haha very funny."

"You're dancing with me instead of her, I'm just saying."

"How can I find her in a crowd where everyone has a mask on?" He had some sass.

I shrugged my shoulders. He laughed and spun me around. He was a good dancer, definitly charming. We finished the song in silence. Then someone came up to us. He tapped on red thread's shoulder and asked, "May I?" Red thread stepped back and bowed a little, gesturing as if it would be an honor.

The new guy came and put his hands on my waist, so I put my hands on his shoulders. The acoustic version of 'The One That Got Away' by Katy Perry came on. I looked to see where my red threaded mask went, he moved to the wall, and was watching us. He looked like he was enjoying this.

"I'm Geoffrey," the new guy said.

"Hi, I'm Bridget."

See Geoffrey was short. He was probably 5'5 and we kept arm length distance between us. It felt very middle school, like the graceless first dance.

"That's a very nice name. So what do you like to do Bridget?"

"Well I'm interested in fashion."

"That's nice. I'm very good with numbers, you see..." He started talking all about his classes and his extracurricular activities. I really couldn't keep up with what he was saying.

I finished dancing with Geoffrey, and felt relieved. The DJ spoke up again, "This one is for all of you!" 'A Drop in the Ocean' by Ron Pope started playing.

Red threaded mask came back and we were dancing just as close as before.

"Go ahead and say it," I knew he was going to say some remark.

"There's nothing to say," He pressed his lips together.

"Oh really, I find that hard to believe."

"No, no, I'm serious. Shorty seemed very chatty and boring, I mean self indulged, I mean sweet," he laughed a little at his own joke. 

"Okay you're right," I sighed.

"Wait," He looked around, "Are you talking to me? You're not doubting how smart I am? Should I mention all of my grades like Shorty probably did?"

"His name was Geoffrey." I smirked, "Don't flatter yourself."

He smiled and dipped me. When I came up, I wrapped both of my arms around his neck. Both of his arms were around my waist.

He lowered his voice, "So tell me about yourself."

"What about me?"

 He picked me up and spun me around. I hope I get to see him again. We were closer than ever, our foreheads pressed against each other.

We finished dancing to the song.

Once it ended, he opened his mouth, but seemed at a loss for words for once. I tired not to giggle. 'Talk Dirty' started playing. Way to ruin the dancing.

He finally found some words, "Who are you?" He was smiling at me, so interested, so charming,

I moved my hands up to my face and slipped off my mask and smiled up at him. I leaned into him, looking into his eyes.

His jaw dropped open when I took off my mask. Like he was stunned, but not in a good way.

He exclaimed, "Bridget!?"

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

551K 16.8K 70
"I'm going to fart on your pillow," Glen promised her, crossing his arms. "Do that and I'll tell Francis that you broke his lucky chain." Hayes mirro...
965K 51.1K 32
Millie Ripley has only ever known one player next door. Luke Dawson. But with only a couple months left before he graduates and a blackmailer on th...
1.4M 41.8K 52
It only took one night to completely change my life. Jace Hetcher is a rich badboy and a total player. Now I, Chrysanthemum Everston, am having his b...
4M 86.4K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...