Soar

By shebephoebe

Please note: this is a third-draft story but is not revised. More than a century ago, dragons and the blue-e... More

Foreword
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Final Note from the Author
News and Announcement Thing

Chapter 13

3.4K 234 26
By shebephoebe

The Shaderi city was built into the mountainside.

The dragons landed in the middle of a road paved with ancient stones which cut back and forth, always upward, with buildings along the far side and the near lined with trees. The buildings were thick, their stone walls and shingled roofs blending into solid rock. Most of the houses were fronted by small garden plots.

Still astride Runedan, I stared. Those passing us in the street stared back just as openly.

"Get down," Morena commanded me irritably. She had just dismounted her own dragon and now stood stiffly beside it.

Blushing, I slid off of Runedan's shoulder. His tail draped over my boots.

The other two dragon riders were on their feet as well. One of them removed a helmet and came over to Morena's side. He gave me a cursory glance and bowed his head, then turned to Morena.

"How was the patrol?"

Morena nodded shortly. "Uneventful. The others came across a pack of wild men, but all we found were these two." She waved toward Runedan and me but did not bother to introduce us.

The rider's dragon stepped forward, his bearing full of authority. He was a brute with shiny black scales which shone with blue in the light. Looking down his snout at Runedan, he rumbled, "The scouts mentioned wanderers, but they could only report what they had seen. Tell us about yourself, young one."

I straightened my shoulders. "My name is-"

"Not you," he interrupted with a snort. "I was addressing the dragon."

Runedan rumbled darkly. "I am called Runedan."

The black dragon drew back his head. "Indeed?"

The second man's dragon, a stunning creature with vibrant green scales and bold streaks of gold over his eyes and around the edges of his wings, gave a hissing snicker. Even the riders were grinning, though Morena continued to frown.

"How old are you, small one?" the green dragon asked.

"That I could not say for certain," Runedan answered in a low voice. Leaning against his chest, I could feel the tension in his muscles. "I have passed twenty summers, but I spent those as a captive."

"That accounts for your size, at least," Morena's large dragon put in. Runedan was plainly the smallest dragon in the group.

"But what of his bare head?" the black one wondered mockingly.

I had noticed how the other dragons had horns on their heads: the green one's was more a broad, spikey crown curving back from his eye ridges, while the black one boasted two thick horns which swept back and up. Morena's white dragon, the only female present, had broad, spiraling horns low on her head.

"I was a captive before I met Azadryn," Runedan told them, "and my master shaved my horns. As for my poor appearance, it can be attributed to a life of malnourishment."

"A show dragon?" the black one said. "I have never met one. Tell me, which great arenas have been graced by your fearsome figure?"

Morena's dragon lowered her head to butt her chin against Morena's shoulder. "Enough," Morena said sharply. "They are our guests, however unfortunate their appearance." She narrowed her eyes at the green dragon's rider. "And unless I am mistaken, you are due to the West Guard."

The rider bowed obediently and swung onto his dragon's back. They left without another word.

"Will you introduce our guests, Princess?" the remaining man asked.

I turned in surprise to Morena, remembering how Hedyr had called her "her highness". She certainly carried herself like I imagined royalty would.

Nodding, Morena gave our names. Then, before the man had a chance to reply, she asked, "Has my father returned?"

"He is not expected until this evening. The queen is here and waiting for you. I sent a messenger to her when we saw Runedan."

"Thank you. We will not keep you from your duties."

The man mounted his dragon and they left. Morena started up the road, looking back when Runedan and I did not follow.

"Would you rather fly to the castle or see the city?"

Runedan butted my back with his nose. I tripped forward to keep from falling. Morena raised an eye brow at the display but did not say anything.

We climbed the paved track in near silence. Morena's dragon introduced herself as Sitara before ambling along ahead of us. Runedan, pacing uncertainly alongside me, could do little but stare at the other dragon. A few others passed overhead or stood in the streets talking to the humans. Morena explained that the dragons lived either higher on the mountain or in caves down near the lake.

The road ended in front of a grand building carved out of the mountainside. It was built like a fortress: sturdy and imposing, with few windows and one great set of doors that I could see. The land around it was clear of all but a few ancient trees with sweeping branches.

Morena and Sitara marched up to the doors, which were wide open despite the winter air. When Runedan held back, I stayed beside him, and together we eyed the fortress.

"Come along, you two. We have kept Her Majesty waiting long enough."

The queen was a figure far more imposing than the cold cave that was her palace. She sat at the end of the Great Hall, on a throne of iridescent white stone carved with surprising care and elegance. Her honey-colored hair was finely plaited and gathered on top of her head. She wore a simple golden crown.

Her throne was one of two on a short dais ringed with steps. Next to the bottom step, a golden-brown male dragon lounged. There were other people in the room – mostly guards – but no other dragons except for Morena's.

Morena bowed. "Your Majesty, may I introduce Azadryn and the dragon Runedan."

The queen stood. She folded her hands in front of her and stepped down from the dais, her cloak trailing after her. As she slowly came closer, her eyes narrowed on my face. I had the impression she was searching for something there. The gold dragon stirred, rising to his feet.

"Greetings, Azadryn, Runedan, and welcome to our realm." The queen's voice was low, her tone even, but she faltered on Runedan's name. "You must realize that your arrival here will be cause for much curiosity. It is not often that a Shaderi girl and a dragon raised in captivity wander onto our soil." She paused and studied both of us sharply. "What led you here?"

"Rumors," Runedan said. "And a desire to find a home. It seemed our best chance was to go west."

"Where do you come from?"

"No place in particular. Azadryn was born in the south, and my mother was a captive somewhere east of Hasarmon."

Turning back to her throne, the queen beckoned for us to follow. Once she was seated, she told us to give our story.

The gold dragon, who had introduced himself as Edanyx, was the first to speak when Runedan had finished, "We will need time to consider your tale. And you," he said to the queen, "would wish to consult with your husband on how best to proceed."

She nodded absently, looking thoughtful. Then she narrowed her eyes at me. "I welcomed you into our realm, but I must warn you: we live by strict laws. We must, if we are to maintain the peace we have so long fought for. If you are to live with us, you will be expected to obey those laws. Undoubtedly it will take time to adjust, and I can allow for that; but either adjust or be on your way. We will not abide with rebels and dissenters. Am I understood?"

Her sharp speech shocked me. Dumbly, I nodded.

"Hedyr warned us of such," Runedan said.

The queen smiled approvingly. "We will talk more when the king has returned. For now, I expect you will want to start getting settled. There is a lodging house down the mountain for-"

The sharp, piercing blast of a horn interrupted her. The queen groaned in exasperation and rolled her eyes. "That boy," she said under her breath.

Behind me, Morena scoffed. "Try traveling with him for a few days."

"The agreement was for three months, daughter," the queen said as she stood again.

I glanced at Morena and saw her nod. "I do not argue that."

The queen swept past me and toward the doors, followed by her dragon. Edanyx towered over Runedan. "Come," he rumbled.

Dragons and humans filed out of the castle. I was surprised to discover it was fully dark outside. A cold winter moon was just visible through the trees. Stars winked and sparked between their waving branches. I pressed against Runedan, trying to ward off the chill. A couple of guards stayed near the queen, but the rest left.

"Runedan," Edanyx said, "you will come with us."

"Why?" I asked, my heart tightening.

"We dragons do not make our nests on the castle lawn. Come."

"No, thank you," Runedan answered, looking the gold dragon in the eye.

Edanyx's eyes flashed darkly. "That was not an offer. As the humans have laws, so do we, and if you will not heed them you will not stay."

Sitara had already taken to the air and was hovering above us, waiting. Runedan lowered his head against my back. I turned my head to kiss his nose.

He sighed, his warm breath washing over my face. "We only just got here," he whispered. "I suppose it would be a shame to be banished before we tried to make things work."

I chuckled despite the tightness in my chest. "Perhaps. I shall see you in the morning, then."

He took off, followed closely by Edanyx. In a moment they had disappeared, headed toward some higher place on the mountain.

The queen, Morena, and their guards were all silent during our walk down the mountain road. Feeling empty without Runedan's presence, I hugged myself and studied the city some more. Lanterns hung at most of the doors we passed, their flames strange shades of blue and green and red. I heard music once, seeming to come from within the mountain itself. There were few people outside. Those we did pass paused to bow or curtsy to the queen and spare a look for the newcomer.

We found Tryven and the rest of the riders, including several from another group, milling around in front of a large building I guessed was a stable. Everyone bowed when the queen appeared.

"How fare the wild lands below?" the queen asked Hedyr with a hint of mirth to her voice.

Hedyr smiled. "Well enough. Hatesa showed her face to some upstart raiders and they raced back to their caves. Winter has cooled their bloodlust, as always."

Hatesa, standing to one side, grinned crookedly. She wore her bow and quiver across her back. "They never put up a decent fight anymore," she complained lightheartedly.

Hedyr looked past the queen to Morena. "Your things are with your horse's tack."

"Thank you," Nodding to her mother, Morena headed for the stables.

"Azadryn!" Tryven called, motioning me over. "What do you think so far?"

"It's big," I answered.

Those who could hear me laughed. Hedyr and the other company's leader dismissed the riders, bidding them all good night. A few remained, Hatesa among them.

"Azadryn will be needing a place to stay, if only for a while until she can find a place of her own," the queen said.

"I have room," Hatesa said. "At least for the moment. I would have to discuss it with Grandfather when he returns." She looked at me invitingly.

She had not washed the paint from her face, and I was well aware of the bow still slung across her back. All the same, her smile was warm and genuine, and she seemed more energetic than dangerous. I nodded. "Thank you."

"Thank you, Hatesa," the queen echoed. "It will be your responsibility to show Azadryn how things are done here."

"Yes, Your Majesty." Hatesa motioned with a hand for me to join her against the stable wall. Tryven winked at me as I passed and mouthed, "Good luck."

Hedyr addressed one of the guards standing silently beside the queen. "Do you know if Erizar has returned yet?"

"He has not. A message arrived today saying he would be later than expected, though he did not say why. The king is still gone as well."

Hedyr's mouth pressed briefly into a line before he thanked the man.

"If you are half as tired as I am, you would have been ready for a bed hours ago," Hatesa said, pushing off the wall. "My house is just down there. Come along." She called good night to Hedyr and Tryven and led me down the road.

Hatesa's home was a small but comfortable place. Someone had already started a fire in the hearth, which was set on the left wall of the main room. In the corner by the hearth was a large tub. A bed sat against the right wall, and shelves framed a door opposite us. On the shelves were pots and pans, scarce books, jars and plates and cups, and an instrument resembling a harp. Dried spices and herbs hung from the low ceiling, and a table with four chairs took of the center of the room. I also saw a ladder disappearing into a hole in the ceiling.

"You can sleep up there with me," Hatesa said, pointing to the ladder. "My mother and her brother used to sleep there before they all moved away. And their sister. The spare bed is clean, and there's a nice window."

"Thank you."

"If you want a bath tonight we can go down to the well, or you can wait for morning."

I was well aware of how dirty I still was, but more than anything I wanted to sleep. "I can wait. But do you have something to eat?" The last time I had eaten had been that morning, before we reached the lake.

Hatesa laughed. "I am sure we can find something." She headed for the other door, telling me to follow.

The room beyond was carved out of the mountain and was cool and dry. Crates and sacks of food line the walls and vegetables and meats hung from the ceiling. I spotted another door at the far end of the room and asked Hatesa about it.

She looked up from a crate. "That leads out into the tunnels. All the houses have them. When this place was first built, the tunnels were just for hiding or escaping. But people added shops and things. There's even a road that leads up to the dragon caves, though they prefer we do not use it unless it is an emergency. I hate the tunnels myself. I know Tryven always liked exploring them, but then he never was the smartest boy this side of the River."

Hands full of black bread, cheese, onions, and dried meat, Hatesa announced dinner was served. We ate and she talked, making polite conversation and not asking for much by way of responses from me. It was late when we finally headed to bed.

The straw mattress was cold and lumpy, the blankets musty. The light of a full moon flooded through the uncovered round window. I kept thinking about Runedan, wondering if he was comfortable and if the other dragons were giving him trouble and if he missed me as much as I missed him.

I was awake hours before sunrise, listening to the city stirring. Hatesa left the loft without disturbing me. Soon I could hear her moving downstairs, followed by the splash of water.

I was just sitting up when she appeared on the ladder. "I hope you don't make a habit of sleeping so late." Her face was clean and her damp hair was neatly braided down her back. She climbed farther out of the hole, grinning at me. "I have a bath ready for you."

A screen surrounded the tub. Hatesa gave me some clothes one of her neighbors had found and I tossed over my rags in return, glad if I never saw them again. The moment reminded me of the day I had spent with the family whose names I never learned. My ear had long since healed and the cuts on my hands were faint scars. I was thinner, my hair longer and in some spots hopelessly tangled, my body covered in scrapes and bruises but also stronger.

When the first tub-full of water had turned brown, Hatesa brought more. My fingers snagged in my tangled hair and I cringed to think I had walked the city over looking like a street rat.

Hatesa gave me a brush for my hair, then took over when she saw the trouble I was having. In the end, she found a set of shears in her dead grandmother's things and cut my hair so it hung just below my shoulders. Then I braided it, and we ate.

"You are supposed to meet the queen later?" Hatesa asked around a mouthful of soup.

"Yes. I think she wanted me to come after the king got back."

Hatesa stared at her breakfast. "Oh."

"Is something wrong?" I asked. At her questioning look, I added, "That's not the first time people have looked worried when the king was mentioned."

"He was supposed to be back yesterday, along with dozens of soldiers. If he thought he was going to be delayed, he ought to have sent a message. Since he did not, we have to assume something happened."

"Has no one gone to search for them?"

"I imagine the queen will have sent someone by now." She did not want to talk about it after that.

As we were finishing breakfast, Tryven arrived, throwing open the door without announcing himself. "For the second time, it is my pleasure to invite you on a tour of the city," he declared with a dramatic bow.

Hatesa had crossed the room to meet him and now rolled her eyes as she gave his shoulder a shove. "I have work to do, or I would offer to take you myself," she told me.

"What work?" Tryven demanded. "Hunting for your family?" He cast me a knowing smile. "Her true family are wild men who live in caves in the hills."

Hatesa made to shove him again but he ducked out of the way with a laugh.

"I have to practice, bird boy. I do not get many chances lately on the patrols because those savages keep running."

"Plenty of the riders need practice, Hatesa, but you are not one of them."

"Maybe not, but you are. Take Azadryn and go before I report you to your brother."

Sverrhu joined us on our walk. She talked almost as much as Tryven, who chattered about this family or that tree or those shops and added stories of patrols and battles and adventures for good measure. He reminded me Tom and Cap and the rest of Lida's troupe, though I did not say so.

"I thought you were a minstrel," I said when he stopped for breath.

"In the summer, when the traveling is good. Some of the others go east of the river as well. We keep an eye out for trouble."

"That is a long journey to make every year."

He shrugged. "The dragons take us past the mountains, and then there are some of our people at outposts all along the way with supplies and horses." We had reached the castle at this point. Tryven called out to some friends of his and introduced me. Then he took my hand and pulled me around. We stood at the edge of the cliff, above the city winding its way down the mountain. We could just see the lake far below, and beyond that the hills that stretched away into a gray-blue haze.

"Welcome home!" Tryven said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 8.1K 53
Under the rule of a Dragon Riders and Magicians, young 14 year old Thea finds herself pulled into the Dragon Riders world. After her brother dies she...
40.9K 2.2K 61
Long ago Riders worked hard to protect the kingdoms of Alenshia, a place filled with magic and power, and keep it well organized. Long ago these Ride...
11.8K 965 32
Spoilers ahead, don't read unless you've read the other two books! ************************************************************************* Seeryath...
5.5K 813 49
The world had long since forgotten the age of dragons, those creatures that had once ruled the skies as gods had long since disappeared after the con...