After Humanity

بواسطة stpolishook

* 2017 WATTY WINNER!* Blurb: Humans are at the top of the food chain and always have been. But what if they... المزيد

After Humanity...
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Note to Readers
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty- Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part I
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 2
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 3
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 4
Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 5
Voices of Humanity (Preview Chapter)

Chapter Forty-Four

12.8K 884 342
بواسطة stpolishook

Ready for Torvald? You will see his style of operating is a bit diff than his brother's....

----------------

Rachel

It was late when Kathryn finally returned to the bunks, but Rachel had been unable to sleep. Having taken Kathryn up on her offer she'd climbed into to the older girl's bed, staring into the darkness and listening to the others slow slumbering breaths around her.

"You're still up?" Kathryn asked when Rachel immediately turned to her as she walked to the bed, eyes wide open. "You should really be asleep by now.

"I tried," Rachel answered. "I just couldn't."

Kathryn sighed, quickly undressing and climbing into the bed beside her. Rachel snuggled in close grateful for Kathryn presence as the older girl welcomed her into her arms.

"What did Alice say?" Rachel asked.

"Not now, Rachel," Kathryn answered, laying her head on the pillow. "I must sleep and so should you. We have to be up before dawn."

She could tell by her tone Kathryn would not reveal anything, but Rachel still could not close her eyes. Even with Kathryn's warm embrace and her steady breath slowing to the point that Rachel knew she had succumbed to sleep, Rachel's eyes remained open.

She kept seeing Magnus's fall in her mind. She had seen Alice's expression when she'd returned. She'd looked tired, worried. In fact Rachel realized she had never seen the older woman look so unsure as when she had answered the question of Magnus's chances for recovery. She couldn't help but run over and over Alice's tales of other sibla masters. With her mind so consumed with worry it seemed impossible it might find rest.

————

When Rachel woke the next morning to Kathryn shaking her she found her head was throbbing and her eyes were blurry. She'd barely slept at all. Kathryn showed no sympathy.

"Get up, Rachel," she demanded, sounding like Alice in her bossy manner. "We can't be late and you must look presentable."

Rachel nodded, though looking at the still black sky outside the window she wanted nothing more than to close her eyes again and bury herself within the warm covers.

"Now!" Kathryn said, pushing her hard. Rachel rolled from the bed and saw that most of the other girls were already dressed. Kathryn herself looked impeccable. Her dress was neat and pressed, her hair in place. Her face was fixed in a frown.

"I'm sorry," Rachel said, hastily slipping her camisole over her head before donning the dress she saw Kathryn had already laid out for her.

"When you are all dressed you will line up for inspection," Kathryn ordered the room. Rachel saw the other girl's hesitate, not doubt as surprised as she was to hear their friend attempt to command them so, but Kathryn did not seem to take any notice.

"Alice has gone ahead of us to speak with our Master's brother," she said. "She asked me to ensure that all look presentable before we go to the main house. When you have washed and dressed, line up outside of the cabin. Is that understood?"

No one answered.

"Do you think this is a joke?" Kathryn challenged, forcing each of their gaze as her eyes swept over them. "Our lives are in danger if we cannot fully please our temporary Master. Alice's position is in jeopardy if there is any question she can control our ranks. Do I really need to explain how disastrous it might be if Torvald decides to bring in his own sibla overseer to take her place?"

Silence.

"No? Then I repeat, am I understood?"

The girls all nodded their heads, a few murmuring of "yes Ma'ma," audible.

Racehl found it strange to see Kathryn so hard. It seemed Alice really had chosen correctly in charging her to lead. She appeared to be a natural.

    It was cold outside when they all filed out for Kathryn's inspection. The winter chill was still strong in the early spring morning and Rachel shivered in her dress, even with the warm stalkings she'd donned. But Kathryn had ordered they were to wear no coats. Torvald did not desire it.

Lining up with the others Rachel watched as the woman she'd grown to trust and feel safe with donned a hard expression she found so unfamiliar and began to go down the line of frightened women. But the fear that gripped them now was not of Kathryn. All were afraid of the inspection they would soon face at the hands of their Master's brother, that much was clear.

Kathryn was brisk as she examined each of them, checking that their hair was arranged neatly, that their dresses were ironed and free of wrinkles. She forced them to open their mouths so she might inspect their teeth and breath. And when she seemed satisfied that all met with whatever standards she had been told to check for, she ordered them to follow her in a straight line to the main house.

Alice was waiting outside when they arrived, a tall sibla man by her side, no doubt Magnus's brother.

"Join their ranks, slave," Torvald ordered, addressing the older human woman. "You are one of them after all." Alice did not hesitate, quickly slipping into the line alongside Rachel.

    It was clear to Rachel immediately that Torvald Kendrick was nothing like his brother. Their faces had a similar shape perhaps, suggesting their kinship, but the look in his gaze was entirely devoid of the warmth Magnus always seemed to exude in spite of his icy gray-blue eyes. Torvald's gaze was colder than the hard wind that nipped at Rachel's exposed skin. He stared at all of them in one sweeping glance as if each and every one of their presence was distasteful to him. But when his eyes came to rest on her. Rachel could see his focus change as he looked her up and down with interest.

    "And what is this?" Torvald asked, staring at her intently. Alice put a protective hand on her shoulder.

    "This is Rachel, Master Torvald," Alice answered.

    "Ah yes," he said. "I remember my brother borrowing a dress for his new little pet. But that was some time ago now. I am surprised the animal is still here."

    Rachel felt a sick feeling growing in her stomach.

    "Come, girl," he ordered.

     Rachel cast a quick glance at Alice and saw her discomfort. She hesitated to step forward. But when Rachel didn't obey immediately Torvald's eyes narrowed.

    "I said come!" he repeated, reaching out and grabbing her arm tightly as he pulled Rachel stumbling forward. "How old are you, human?" he asked.

    "Almost ten, Master Torvald," she answered, trying to keep her voice from trembling.

    "And how long now has your Master kept you here now?"   

    "Just under a year," Alice said, speaking before Rachel could open her mouth.

    Torvald turned for a moment to scowl at her. "I did not ask you, slave," he snapped.

    The man reached out a hand and began to lightly squeeze Rachel's arm and prod her stomach. It was everything she could do not to pull away. Her stomach was queasy, breath held, body tensed as the memory of Girfe's meat market flooded her mind. She could almost see Magnus examining the boys by her side. Poking, squeezing, preparing to order thier deaths...

    "What a shame," Torvald said, to one one in particular. "If he waits much longer it will be a true waste. She will depreciate in value once she reaches adulthood and good veal of this quality is hard to come by. A few months of extra feeding and Magnus could make quite a profit. Is this not your job Alice?" He asked, directing the question towards her accusingly. "To feed them up properly?"

     The old woman didn't answer and Rachel's stomach dropped further, the sick feeling growing all the more pronounced at his words. She wanted desperately to run back to Alice but she didn't dare move. Torvald took her chin in his hand a turned her head from side to side.

    "Of course the true shame is that he will not breed you," he continued, apparently addressing Rachel now. "I could use some new blood in my stock and you appear to be a strong, hearty creature. Wild bloodlines might be a useful addition to the flock.

    Let me go, Rachel thought to herself, trying to hold back tears while simultaneously willing him to answer her mind's command. Please just let me go!

    "Master Torvald," Alice's voice rang out, distracting him.

    "If you are finished with your inspection, perhaps you are hungry? I know you have not yet eaten this morning and must be still weary from the events of last evening. We could prepare you something to eat."

    The man frowned. "Trying to protect her are you?" he asked, pushing Rachel aside and stalking towards Alice. All the others backed away as Torvald towered over her.

    "I merely thought you might be hungry," Alice answered evenly. Rachel marveled at the calm in her voice.

    "You are nothing to me, slave," he said. "If you attempt to dictate my actions in any way, know that there will be consequences."

    "I would never presume to do so, Master Torvald," Alice answered, her tone no more affected than before. Torvald's arm came up in an instant, the backside of his hand slamming against Alice's cheek.

Rachel felt arms reach out and hand come up over her mouth to stifle the cry of shock escaping her lips. She saw Kathryn standing right behind her, holding her back with her free arm. She gave a warning glance and slowly shook her head.

    "That was a warning, Alice," Torvald threatened. "Remember well that in my brother's absence, you answer to me."

    "Yes, Master Torvald," she answered. "I am a humble servant to the Kendrick family."

    He hit her again, so hard this time that the old woman lost her balance and fell unto the frostbitten grass beneath her. Rachel was horrified to see blood dripping from her nose as she pushed herself up from the ground.

    "You are a slave," Torvald growled, "not a servant. You are my brother's property. You are my property. Is that understood?"

    "Yes, Master," she answered, her eyes down cast. Rachel had never so wished for Magnus as she did now.

    "Get up," Torvald ordered. As Alice slowly rose to her feet Rachel could see her wince in pain.

    "Go to the kitchen and prepare me a decent meal," he said.

    "Yes, Master Torvald," Alice answered, head bowed

    "And as for the rest of you," he continued. "Until your Master recovers I will remain here on his estate and ensure that his holdings are protected. I will demand respect from each and every animal on this estate."

    Everyone of the women's eyes was focused to the ground now, avoiding Torvald's gaze. Rachel was quick to copy their example.

    . "Might I presume my brother has no good meat in his larder?" Torvald asked Alice.

    "There is lamb, pork, beef, and fowl," she answered. Rachel glanced up enough to watch the man sigh. It was clear enough what sort of meat he was craving. As his eyes scanned over them again and Rachel held her breath, casting her gaze quickly down again.

    "I will have pig I suppose. Eggs and sausage."

    Alice nodded. "Yes, Master."

    "The rest of you have chores I'd imagine?"

    No one said anything, all still trying to avoid his gaze.

    "Well, go to them then!" Torvald barked. The other scattered quickly but Kathryn held her arm stopping Rachel from fleeing.

    "And you two work with Alice, I presume? "Torvald asked when he saw them standing there still.

Rachel nodded her head.

    "Then what are you waiting for?"

    "Come, girls," Alice said. "Master Torvald is hungry and we can't keep him waiting." She wrapped an arm around Rachel's shoulder. "Stay close to me Rachel," she whispered.

    In the kitchen Kathryn closed the door quickly and rushed to Alice.    

    "Are you all right?" she asked, grabbing a dish towel and wiping at the dried blood around the old woman's lips and nose.

    "I'm fine, Kathryn," Alice said waving the younger girl away. "It's nothing."

    "But he hit you!" Rachel protested.

    Alice laughed. "Of course he did. I am grateful he did no worse."

    "If you continue to speak out against him he will," Kathryn said with a frown.

    Speak out? Rachel thought to herself, incredulous. Alice had hardly spoken at all and still she'd earn Torvald's wrath.

Alice only shook her head.

    "He merely wished to establish his dominance in front of the others. It wouldn't have mattered what I said. In any case, he may threaten, but Torvald knows well that he can't do me serious harm while Magus lives. Though he hates me with his entire being, the man loves his brother. As long as Magnus might recover he won't dare to do any permeant damage to my person."

    Rachel stared at her horrified. She saw that Kathryn's concern had not abated either.

    "Don't worry," Alice said. "I know how far I might push him. You must all let me take the brunt of his anger because he will not hesitate half as long before killing another. And you," she said turning to Rachel. "You must avoid Torvald as much as possible. He has far too much interest in you."

    Rachel nodded. She felt her stomach churning uncomfortably. "Do you think he will..." Kill me. She didn't want to say it aloud. Alice frowned slightly.

    "You stand out from the others, that is a dangerous thing, but he now knows too that I am intent on protecting you and that I won't make it easy for him. That should be enough. Besides, given your age, you are perhaps the most valuable animal of Magnus's stock. Wild veal is exceedingly prized among the sibla. I don't think even Torvald could justify taking such a reward for himself without his brother's permission."

    Rachel wasn't convinced. Moreover, it was extremely upsetting to hear Alice assess her worth as an animal. As meat. Was that the way the woman saw her? What about Magnus? She hadn't given much thought to her position in some time now, but if Torvald remained in charge, the danger was clear enough.

    "But do you think he will take one of us?" Kathryn asked. The fear in her voice was clear. She was one of the youngest among the group, but there was no question she was also one of the plumpest. Magnus had his own set of rules for taking from his human stock and favored Kathryn considerably. She had Alice's protection as well in being the old woman's clear favorite. But Torvald would likely have no reservations in taking her life. Alice frowned as she began to set out eggs and oil on the counter.

    "I don't think he'd dare. Magnus may still recover and with his brother alive, Torvald knows there will be consequences if he does. He may not agree with his brother's practices, but Torvald respects him enough to hesitate interfering with them. He knows well that Magnus would not wish to see any of his human stock slaughtered without his command.

    "Nonetheless, everyone one of us must be careful. Do not provoke him in any way. You have heard the horror stories of other masters. Torvald is ultimately a fair man and not nearly as bad as many, but he will feel the need to continually assert his authority here and may thus be crueler than he would be with his own human flock.

"Do everything he says without question or hesitation and keep your heads down. That is the only advice I can give. Remember well that you must never speak unless spoken to. Stick to your tasks and do them well. We will give him no reason to punish."

    Kathryn nodded.

    "We must all pray that Magnus makes a full recovery. Until then we will learn to live under Torvald Kendrick's rule and make the best of it. If our Master does not recover we will soon belong to him and must learn to adjust." The idea was horrifying.

    "Will he recover, Alice?" Rachel asked.

    Alice wrapped an arm around her and gave Rachel a tight hug.

    "I hope so, Rachel," she said. "For all our sakes"

--------------

Yeah...things still don't look so good do they :-/ Fingers crossed for Magnus's recovery? Alice is going to be praying. Maybe we should too! 0-o Next update will be posted on Monday. Hope you have a great weekend! :-)

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

62.7K 1.7K 50
The human world can be a dangerous place sometimes. . I have only written this on Wattpad, nowhere else. . After being cast out from the world of...
517K 21K 50
Horror // Novel // Completed ~ How far would you go to be free? What are you willing to become? ~ A decade of torture at the hands of the cannibal L...
44.2K 699 42
What would they do to satisfy their hunger? How long will it be until they go insane? For these competitors, they'll do anything to win, even if it m...
23.1K 1.8K 32
"Are you coming with me or not?" "To where? Where are we going to go, Magnus? We're in the middle of the goddamn zombie apocalypse. Everyone we know...