Dark Legacy: Book I - Trinity

By TheLegacyCycle

Wattpad Story Rankings Dark Legacy: Book I - Trinity || #6 || Science Fiction on April 12, 2019 Dark Legacy:... More

Dark Legacy: The End of the Kai & Book I - Trinity Copyright
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Support an Indie Author

Chapter VI

645 51 2
By TheLegacyCycle

Kieko was waiting outside the Council Hut; he was thinking about his mother who was at home under the care of Ruka, Kira, and Jomana. He looked at the armed men who were guarding the only entrance into the hut and cursed the laws of Kadek that forbade all women and boys from ever entering the hut. He kicked the ground and looked up at the hut's thatched roof that shot up in a sharp arc from its oblong circular base and saw the red flag at its peak; a sign that a meeting had been called. He took a step back to stand next to the ash filled cauldron that sat before two rows of fire staves, which lit a short path to the hut's entrance.

Old farmer Toasu walked into the circular plain of the Ikishi village and saw Kieko. He approached him, and when he stood beside him he inhaled the strong scent of the incense sticks that burned within the cauldron.

"It's not fair that I cannot enter. It is my mother who's the victim of this crime."

The old farmer looked at Kieko, "There are too many things in this world that are not fair: it is not fair that my parents died when they did; it is not fair that you lost the tournament; it is not fair that the Atlanteans pillage whatever lands they point their wicked fingers at. But, in all my long years, from all that I have seen in this world, I have discovered one thing." Kieko waited for the answer. "Justice is served to each and every one of us, in this life or the next. What we reap is what we sow. This you know, Kieko. There are no victims in this world. We choose what ails and benefits us."

"I don't believe in reincarnation and karma and all of that."

"We both know that that is a lie. I know what beliefs you hold dear to your heart. And even if that were true then how or why would you want to train with Shinsei? You cannot be a Ki disciple if you reject these truths. Regardless, things are as they are whether you believe in them or not. And you speak with little knowledge or experience of the world. There will come a day when you will understand things because you have seen them with your own eyes, felt them with your own heart."

"That is all I hear from you and Shinsei." He then mimicked Shinsei's voice, " 'You will know when you experience, you will know when you experience, you will know when you experience.' Do not tell me such things."

"You are a stupid little boy! You will respect the Ki priest." Kieko shook his head and kicked the ground again. "I've had enough of your words, boy. I'm going in to speak with men," he then walked toward the Council Hut through the path set by the fire staves.

Kieko continued kicking the ground and whispered, "Stupid old fool."

The old farmer stopped before the guards, turned around, and said, "I heard that. I may be old but I have ears to rival yours. And yes, I am a fool," he then disappeared into the dark of the hut.

Rakima was speaking to his brothers and cousins within the Council Hut as he drank his tea; they were arguing over who would serve as a proper suitor for his daughter. Although he did not enjoy the topic he engaged in it because it was expected of him, and as he listened he heard Aiko's name and the arguments for the wealth and prestige that would be gained from Kono in return for his daughter's hand. Angered by their matchmaking talks he excused himself, noticed the old farmer entering the hut, and went to greet him.

"Strange to see you here, old man."

"Yes, it is strange. I find it odd too that I am here." The two laughed. "Although I am old, as you have been so kind to remind me, I am not wise but a fool, and because I am a fool I am wise to know that you have chosen to speak to me because you do not wish to continue your talks with your kin over there. Am I right, old father of a beautiful daughter?"

"You're too quick, old man, and too odd for most here. How are things on your farm?"

"Trying to change the topic, are you?"

"Yes, I do not wish to speak of my daughter. I've had enough."

"In denial, are you? Your daughter is a woman. Everyone in the village sees her as a woman. Perhaps, you should begin to see her as a woman too."

"Listen, friend, I do not wish to speak more of her. Is that understood?"

"Yes, yes. Well, how goes these talks of the three offenders over there?" he said nodding in the direction to where Buko, Shitsu, and Tonono were standing between several guards.

"There is no question that Shitsu and Tonono will receive a punishment appropriate for their involvement in the crime, but Kono will protect his brother, he has much sway with the Elders. I do not know how severe Buko's punishment will be?"

"Why is it so easy to punish Shitsu and Tonono? They are allied to Kono, are they not?"

"Yes, that is true, but there is not much Kono can do about the debts they owe to Elder Haru."

"How he became an Elder, I will never know," the old farmer said shaking his head. "Well, it is good to hear that justice is in good order here. No different than in Atlantis, I say."

"You should watch your tongue in this place, old man."

"You are right, Rakima. I am old, and because I am I have nothing to lose. My years are spent. No one's favor do I need." The old farmer then shouldered past Rakima, but Rakima grabbed his arm and asked, "What did you mean by that?"

"I know it must be difficult for you, Rakima. I am not a fool–yes I am," he smiled. "You are protecting the interests of your kin in this place. Your older brother, Tsuwata, has many debts to be paid to Kono, does he not? His gambles have afforded him nothing but a rotten child."

"Shut your mouth, old man. You do not know of my brother's circumstances."

"And what of the circumstances of Kieko and his mother? They are honest and good, but in this place, it will gain them nothing. I am here in their favor. I cannot be swayed or bought."

"You watch yourself," he warned again with anger deep in his voice.

The old farmer paid no attention to Rakima's final words and walked away.

The seven Elders were sitting on their wooden thrones, which were collectively positioned in an arc that was centered before the long thatched wall farthest from the entrance. Chief Elder Subo, who was seated at the center of the arc of thrones, stood up and said aloud, "Let us begin. Quiet your talks and take your seats Ikishi men."

The crowd of men began hushing at each other, sitting down on the ground, and waiting until all was silent.

"It has been brought to our attention," the Chief Elder began, "that a crime has been committed against a woman in our village. Shinsei, who came upon the crime, has already explained to us–the Elders–that both Shitsu and Tonono stood guard before the house of Nishiaka while Buko abused and raped Madonai within it. Whether or not Shitsu and Tonono beat or had the intention to abuse and rape Madonai cannot be discerned, but they were accomplices to the acts committed by Buko. As a result, we, the Elder men, have decided that both Shitsu and Tonono will be punished by sowing and reaping the fields of Haru's lands for no less than seven years–"

"Are you mad!" old farmer Toasu contested.

"Who speaks? Stand before all!" Elder Subo commanded as the crowd of men began to whisper. The old farmer took his time to stand and when Elder Subo saw the old farmer's weathered face near one of the hut's four wooden pillars he said with ridicule, "Well, if it is not the hermit of Kadek."

Everyone laughed.

The old farmer waited for the laughter to die down, "Yes, it is. Good to see you too, Elder Subo. I see you have aged a great many days since I last saw you, but you have grown no wiser."

Rakima shook his head at the old farmer's words.

Elder Subo replied, "You risk, old hermit, being thrown from this Council. Watch your tongue."

"I am immune to such nonsense. Is it not Lemurian tradition to respect the thoughts and words of elder men who prove themselves still competent and sane?"

"Yes, it is old hermit. Whether or not you are sane remains to be seen." Short bursts of laughter erupted from the crowd. He continued, regretting what he had to ask, "What is it that you wish to say?"

"I find it funny, old friend, that the punishment fitted Shitsu and Tonono appears appropriate not for the crime against Madonai but for their debts owed to Haru–"

Elder Haru shot up from his seat, "You know nothing, old hermit! Do not question the decisions of the Council!"

"I am not questioning. I am reminding," old farmer Toasu retorted.

"What are you reminding us of?" Chief Elder Subo asked as he signaled Elder Haru to calm himself and sit down.

"I am reminding you of the appropriate punishment placed against those who desecrate our women."

Kono spoke out, "Those are old ways, old man. Punishment by death is no longer heeded here."

"Funny that you should say such a thing Kono since it is you who curses death upon the Atlantean men responsible for–"

"Be silent, old fool!" Kono shouted nearly choking on the tea leaves he accidentally swallowed from his cup. "Atlantean men," he coughed, "deserve death not because of what they have stolen from me and my son, but for what they have always stolen from Lemurian lands. They are a race bent on greed and hate–"

"Are you describing yourself or Atlanteans?"

Tsuwata shot up and shouted with a threatening fist, "You watch your tongue, you old disease!"

Rakima's face paled into severe unease.

"Oh, Tsuwata," the old farmer said. "What a surprise to see you rising to attack my words against Kono."

"Shut your tongue!" Tsuwata shouted back before looking down at his younger brother, Rakima, with angered eyes.

"Why do you look to your bro–?"

"Be gone, you old fool!" Kono hollered. "We are all tired of your aimless talk." Many within the crowd agreed with nods and malicious shouts.

"Kono," the old farmer stated, "you are a lost and pathetic, drunken cause!"

"You are gone from here, old farmer Toasu!" Elder Subo declared as angry shouts against the old farmer continued to fill the air.

Two armed guards approached the old farmer–the old farmer did not resist them–and escorted him out of the hut as cups and splashes of drink were thrown at him.

Outside the old farmer wiped bits of soaked tea leaves off his clothes. He then walked over to the cauldron and cupped his hands to waft the smoke of the burning incense over his head; a symbolic means to purify his body of evil spirits and diseases.

"Why is there so much yelling?" Kieko asked.

Startled, old farmer Toasu exclaimed, "You nearly frightened me."

"What happened to you? Why are there tea leaves hanging from your robes?"

"I spoke like a disobedient child in there. As you can see it did not do me well. A bit embarrassing it is to be thrown out of a council meeting. I am too much of a radical fool. I best be going, Kieko. All things happen as they should, remember that."

"What do you mean? My mother ... was she meant to be hurt as she was? Is that what you're saying?"

He thought for a moment, "It is late ... I should go."

"Then go. I don't need you."

The old farmer looked at Kieko with gentle eyes, "Kieko, do not blame yourself for what happened to your mother. It is not your fault. Remember, we are the sum of our decisions. Buko did what he did and he will pay in this lifetime or the next. Justice will be served. In that you must trust."

"If that is true–if I am to believe that–then it means that my mother is paying for some kind of karmic debt. That the violence enacted against her is the result of some kind of justice. Is that what you're saying?"

"Kieko, I will not convince you to believe anything. Believe in what you would like. Good night."

The sound of insects silenced the steps of the old farmer as he walked into the night. Kieko watched him, thinking of what he had said, until he disappeared. He decided that the old farmer's talk of cosmic justice was worth no more than fly dung. Hunger began to pain his stomach. He looked at the red flag that flapped from the summit of the Council Hut and sat down near the cauldron waiting for the Elders to announce their decisions and call an end to their meeting.

After everyone had calmed down Chief Elder Subo asked if any man had any objection to the punishment given to Shitsu and Tonono. No one raised a hand or spoke against the decision. Shitsu and Tonono were then escorted out of the hut by three guards while two guards moved Buko to stand alone before the seven Elders and the priest.

The Chief Elder raised his voice to the crowd, "As for you, Buko. Your crime cannot be disputed for it is based upon the holy words of Shinsei who struck you down when you exited the house of Nishiaka. And as Toasu so kindly reminded us your crime was once punishable by death. But, this punishment we no longer honor for Shinsei forbade it many decades ago. As a result, we, the Elders, have given Shinsei the power, and responsibility, of assigning you an appropriate punishment since it was he who came across the doings of your criminal act. May he show mercy on you."

Whispers filled the air.

"Silence!" Elder Subo demanded.

Shinsei approached Buko and looked him in the eye, "Marked will your skin be; a warning to all. You are banished from Kadek–"

"What is this?" Kono contested as he stood up and rushed toward the Chief Elder. "What is this? Is it not the duty of the Elders to assign the appropriate punishment? Why is a priest meddling in the affairs of justice?"

"Silence!" Elder Subo commanded. "I am Chief Elder here and it was my decision to appoint Shinsei as the one to assign Buko his punishment. I know you, and your ways, Kono–don't give me that face!" Kono, who now stood before the Chief Elder, continued raveling his face with hate. "You know of what I speak. I will not allow you to meddle in the affairs of justice so be gone and accept the punishment befitting your brother's crime. He has three days. This meeting of men has ended."

"Curse you!" Kono shouted, and before he could launch his hands at the Chief Elder several guards took him and held him back. Frightened, the Chief Elder exited the hut, followed by Shinsei and the other Elders, while the crowd began to argue and shout.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 1.3K 37
***Featured in YA SCI-FI & FANTASY, SECRET TREASURES and WATTPAD UNDISCOVERED STORIES 2019 *** "The truth can be weathered, eroded; it's every shade...
488 118 20
A boy cursed with Serpentblood. An exiled young dwarf in pursuit of his destiny. A she-elf guided by a religious prophecy. Together, they must rise...
1.5K 69 37
In the olden days, mankind was categorized into three groups; The Shadow Creatures, The Humans, and finally The Soldiers of Nature. One protects huma...
891 40 7
A storm has risen, it has been on the rise for most of young Melony's life. Of all the beings in an entire galaxy-now shrouded with darkness by an un...