To Love a Stray

By Mygypsy

Tawny Caruthers has been hounded and hunted by Stray and Clan Werecats alike since she first became a Werecat... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
CHapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11part1
Chapter 11 part2
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
CHapter 14
Chapter 15
chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26 pt 1
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32 The Wedding
UPDATE

Chapter 26 part 2

7.9K 231 67
By Mygypsy

Micah’s story:

I watch the door to the bedroom close and try not to worry about Rosy who is now by herself with her newborn son once again.

"I’m sorry about Rosy’s behaviour Doc," Sam says gruffly and casts a worried look towards the door before glancing my way with an angry frown. "She’s been pretty stressed out since having the boy."

"No apologies necessary," Doc says turning away from the room. "Where did she have the kitt? Has he got a name yet?"

"I think she had him in her room," Dwayne says quietly.

"Yes. Tangwyn Alejandro Williamson," Sam says casting a glance my way.

"Otherwise known as Wynn," Marissa murmurs softly, "Tangwyn is an unusual name."

"Tangwyn means blessed peace," I tell them.

"What would you know about it?" Sam asks abruptly. I frown at his attitude but don’t challenge him on it.

"I … I was still with Rosy when she was talking about names," I explain. Marissa and Doc glance at me and I give a slight shrug as I watch Doc head for Rosy’s room. I stay back in the doorway as he goes in and examines the messy bed closely.

"Nothing to indicate she had a difficult birth," Doc says as he turns to leave the room. "Easiest way to clean up is to take the mattress and bedding out and burn it. Wash the floor using plenty of disinfectant, lavender or pine scented. Avoid as much movement up this end of the building as possible for the next two weeks to a month until Rosy begins to become more relaxed."

"How long is Rosy going to want to stay hidden in there?" Sam asks quietly as we all head for the kitchen.

"I don’t know and that is a big problem there for Rosy …" Doc’s voice trails off.

"So get used to that room being turned into Rosy’s nursery?" I ask quietly.

"Yes," Doc confirms. "Rosy might even want to take over the room permanently. Marissa, what made you think Rosy wouldn’t object to you going into the room?"

"It’s Wade Rosy went after not Marissa," Dwayne says and I look at him to see him glancing between Doc and Marissa with a puzzled frown.

"Rosy is certainly screwed up at the moment then," Doc says gravely. "Being female Marissa should have been seen as the biggest threat. Another she-kitt or a Queen is more likely to kill a kitt than a tom. I’ve made a few phone calls and it was Cantrell Yates’ daughter Keeli who organised to get rid of Alan Cummings and his sons. Rosy actually attacked Keeli and fought her off to protect those two boys at the main house. Oh and a word of advice, make Jazzy bring them back here in a few days. Don’t leave it up to Rosy to get them back."

"Rosy wasn’t acting right," Marissa says on a worried note. "She hadn’t even put a nappy and clothes on Wynn. I doubt she has had anything to do with a child so young in the human world,"

"Rosy is acting more like she should be now," Doc says in a soothing tone as he takes Marissa by the arm.

"How about we go and have a cup of coffee?" I suggest. I glance back to where Sam is settling on a chair at the door of what had been Steven’s and my room before walking through into the lounge room.

"Would it be okay to let Wade into the kitchen?" Dwayne asks walking to the small side door. "Otherwise he is just going to keep banging on the outside walls and yelling,"

"As long he stays in the kitchen," I say tightly. "If he tries to go any further than the entry into the lounge room I am throwing him out again."

"Micah," Marissa chides gently. "Your father was worried …"

"I don’t care!" I cut her off sharply. "He had Rosy in a panic!"

"Micah calm down," Doc says firmly. "Rosy will pick up on the raised voices and tension and it will not help her to bond properly with her son."

I turn away and watch as Dwayne unlocks the small door and disappears outside. Cold damp air wafts in and I realise with surprise a light misting rain has started to fall. Suddenly I feel guilty, Wade was still recovering from his punishment and he had been locked outside in this, there was no way he would have been under proper shelter while he was trying to get back inside to Marissa. Warriors are supposed to look after and protect the weaker members of the clan, not lock them out in the rain.

"Marissa!"

I watch as Marissa steps into Wade's embrace and allows him to hug her before checking she is uninjured. His hair and shirt are wet and I retrieve a couple of clean tea towels from the shelf in the pantry.

"You’ll have to make do with these. I won’t have anyone going up near the towel cupboard and chancing disturbing Rosy." I say firmly as I pass the tea towels to Wade.

"I don’t expect you to," Wade says meeting my eyes over Marissa’s head. He looks away quickly and I frown but leave it at that for now.

I am aware of Doc talking quietly about how he believes Rosy will calm down and bond with our son over the next few hours or days. I can’t help the smile I feel curving the corners of my mouth as I catch myself thinking of the kitt as ‘our’ son.

It’s late afternoon when I knock on my own bedroom door.

"Who is it?" Sam demands tightly.

"It’s me, Micah," I say before I open the door slowly and look inside. Sam is sitting in a chair not far from the door and turns his head towards me.

"You want something?" Sam asks dryly.

"Is there anything in particular Rosy would prefer to eat?" I ask as I look at Rosy where she is sitting against the wall with her knees drawn up as she feeds Wynn. I can see the tops of her knees, the blanket covering Wynn’s head and Rosy’s head and shoulders.

"Mikkarl is just about to start cooking tea," I tell her.

"Some of those stir-fried vegies and a big steak," Rosy says with barely a glance my way. The fact she isn’t growling or yelling startles me, as does her having spoken to me. Doc had warned she wouldn’t want anyone in or near the room except Sam and maybe Mitchell for the first few weeks.

"Anything else you would like?" I ask quietly.

"Yes. More water," Rosy says sharply. "This last bottle isn’t cold anymore!"

"Okay, I’ll go get you some cool water and tell Mikkarl what to cook while I’m at it," I tell her soothingly before shutting the door. As the door snicks closed I hear what might be a soft snort from inside, I ignore it and head for the kitchen.

"When are you going to check if Rosy wants anything special?" Mikkarl asks from the sink, where he is peeling potatoes, as I walk into the kitchen.

"Your stir-fried vegies and a big steak," I tell him as I head to the fridge. We always keep a good supply of cool water in the fridge for drinking. I hesitate a moment as I think about how to keep the water cold longer.

"Did Rosy tell Sam what she wanted to eat before going to sleep or didn’t you open the door?" Mikkarl asks curiously.

"I opened the door but didn’t go in. She is awake but didn’t get upset when I spoke to her." I tell him evenly.

I grab a small single lunch esky out of the pantry and fill it full with bottles of water and an ice brick. I pause a moment then grab a clean tea towel before heading back to the bedroom.

"It’s me," I say as I knock lightly before opening the door.

Sam is over near Rosy, I can’t see exactly what he is doing but going by his movements he is picking something up and putting it in a bag or container of some sort.

"I’ll be there in a minute," Sam says. "Just got some dirty nappies to deal with for Rosy.

"I’ve got cold water, an esky and an ice pack to keep it cool for you Rosy," I say without entering the room.

"Bring it here!" Rosy demands as she turns her full attention on me. "You got my food too? I’m hungry!"

I walk steadily into the room keeping my eyes locked on her eyes. I smile slightly as I reach the end of my bed frame with no outburst from her. Her eyes narrow but her gaze flicks to the esky in my hand and she licks her lips eagerly. I remember Doc saying she would require a lot of water for the first few days as well as a diet rich in iron and protein.

Without thinking I step close, put the esky down as I drop to one knee and open the esky to get a bottle of water out. I become aware of Sam’s angry hiss as I open the bottle and wrap it in the tea towel before hold it out towards Rosy. There is sudden movement and I get the impression she has quickly shoved Wynn behind her then her fingernails bite into the top of my shoulders as she glares into my face. Her top lip is curled, nostrils are flared and just the very essence of her expression tells me that if she were in cat form her ears would be back while her top lip is curled in a wickedly savage snarl to expose her canine teeth threateningly.

"The tea towel should help stop your hands getting cold so you don’t touch Wynn with cold hands," I murmur quietly as I quickly turn my head and look away. It isn’t easy to keep my eyes off her as I feel her breath fan across my face.

"Do. Not. Try. To. Touch. My. Son!" Rosy snarls biting each word off savagely and with a hard shove from her I find myself toppling over backwards.

The scene of Rosy trying to attack Wade flashes through my mind as I land on my back, my stomach and throat totally exposed. My heart pounds in my chest, I can hear my own pulse making my blood rush in my ears and the rush of adrenaline that powers my muscles surges through my body. I grit my teeth and control my breathing as I wait for her attack.

"I won’t touch him I promise I am not trying to touch him …" my words rush out almost as one and I stop to gulp a big breath of air. "I promise, I will do exactly as you say."

"Do. Not. Try. To. Touch. My. Son!" Rosy snaps.

It sounds as if she is backing off but I don’t chance looking in her direction. Some instinct tells me I am in the wrong, that I have approached her too fast, too soon.

"I just wanted to give you the water," I say softly. "I just want to look after you so you can look after our son,"

‘He’s my son! He’s not …Wynn is my son.’

Rosy’s voice in my head startles me, as does her hesitation mid-sentence. I note how she had claimed him as her son but had not denied my claim of fatherhood.

"I was just trying to help you," I say gently.

"Enough helping!" Sam snaps angrily as he grabs me under my arms and drags me away from where Rosy has her bed. "Now get the hell out of the room!"

Once the bed frame is between Rosy and me I shake off Sam’s hands and get to my feet, I glance over at Rosy as I brush myself off. She is watching me with narrowed eyes but no other signs of anger or aggression. I drop my eyes submissively and give her a slight nod before turning and walking to the door.

"I’ll bring your tea to the door when it’s ready," I tell her as I pause before opening the door. "You can have Sam come get it or I can bring it in and put it on the chair he has been sitting on, if you want."

"I’ll get the plate from the doorway!" Sam snaps.

Rosy’s story:

It is just on sunset as I wake to Wynn stirring for a feed, it is the fifth day after I gave birth and all I have been doing in the time since then is eat, sleep and tend to Wynn. I sit up and put him to my breast as I watch the door hopefully. I can hear quiet movement at the other end of the building but I can’t distinguish Micah or Sam’s voices. I am disappointed as it has been Sam and Micah who have been my link to the world outside the room. With Wynn fed, changed and settled I carry him to the bathroom where I place him on a stack of clean towels before washing my face and hands. I glance longingly at the shower but I don’t want to chance disturbing Wynn who is now fast asleep.

I carry Wynn back towards the bedroom but hesitate in the doorway, I am hungry but I know it will be another hour or more before the evening meal is cooked. I check that Wynn is well wrapped in his blanket and that the track pants and top I am wearing are fit for company before heading for the lounge room and kitchen. I hesitate at the door into the lounge room as I watch Callum, Mikkarl, Justin and Donovan working in the kitchen.

I feel uneasy, I don’t want Wynn out here but I am hungry. I know I can trust all the warriors here but I can’t bring myself to trust them with his safety. I am just about to retreat to the bedroom when Donovan turns around and catches sight of me.

"Hey Rosy! What are you doing out here?" Donovan asks happily. I take a step backwards as the other three turn around with surprised looks on their faces.

"I … I was looking for Sam," I say softly and lick my lips nervously. "Or Micah,"

"Sam’s over at the house in a meeting with Mitchell and Micah. Is there something one of us can do for you?" Mikkarl asks with a friendly smile. I glance at him and my mouth waters as I think of his stir-fried vegies.

"I’m hungry, I wanted Sam to find something for me to eat." I say quickly.

"Will sandwiches do or do you want a hot meal?" Mikkarl asks as he turns to the fridge. I hesitate a few moments and he looks back over his shoulder at me before opening the fridge.

"How does roast, tomato and chutney sandwiches sound for now and a cooked meal in a while?" Mikkarl coaxes.

"What kind of roast?" I ask curiously.

"Ham, cooked on the bone. A leg from a butcher, only the best will do." He says with a grin as if knowing what I am thinking.

"Okay then," I agree after a moments hesitation and Mikkarl disappears out of sight behind the wall and I hear the slight squeak as the fridge opens.

"Do you want me to bring it to the room or are you going to sit in the lounge room and eat? No-one will try to touch Wynn," Mikkarl says reassuringly.

A small part of my brain tells me I’ll get the food quicker if I wait in the lounge room and besides, I feel sure I can make any of the four toms back off if necessary. I move into the lounge room and after a quick look around I decide on a chair by the wall, sit in it and settle Wynn comfortably in one arm.

Donovan comes into the lounge room carrying a large glass of juice and smiles at me as he stops at the far end of the lounge giving me plenty of room.

"I thought you might like a drink as well," he says with a wide grin, "It’s the juice you like or I could get you something else. Whichever you prefer,"

"The juice will do," I say realising I am actually thirsty. Donovan brings the drink to me and I take it in my free hand, he takes two steps backwards and openly looks at the bundle that contains Wynn.

"Can I see him?" Donovan asks eagerly, "I promise I won’t try to touch him or anything. Just see his face or something like that?"

"Donovan!" Justin says sharply startling me and I glance his way uneasily. Donovan looks at me regretfully and I notice his tongue flick over his bottom lip then he backs away several steps before turning and heading back to the kitchen. I watch him go and realise with slight surprise that I don’t mind him asking to see Wynn, he’s interested in my son but not trying to hide or play down the fact like the other three in the kitchen.

Soon the rich aroma of gravy reaches me and I don’t have long to wait for Mikkarl to bring in a crusty bun filled to overflowing with sliced roast beef swimming in gravy. Mikkarl shows none of Donovan’s nervous excitement and stops a respectful distance from my chair. I reach for the plate eagerly and settle it on the arm of my chair away from Wynn and eye it critically, it is too large to pick up in one hand and gravy covered meat spills from it’s sides.

"Ooops! Just a moment," Mikkarl says.

He moves close and plucks the lid from the roll, tears it into quarters then drops it onto the plate beside the pile of meat and gravy. I eye it a moment before giving him a big smile and reaching for a slice of gravy covered meat. I pop it into my mouth and turn my head to watch Mikkarl return to the kitchen as it dawns on me how close he had been to Wynn. I frown in anger and annoyance then find myself shrugging it off before setting to work demolishing the neat pile on my plate.

I eat slowly enjoying the tasty food. When it is all gone Mikkarl returns to take the plate and hand me my drink. I sit back and relax as I watch the movie on tv. It’s an old war movie and claims my attention as I enjoy the non-intrusive company of the three toms on the other side of the lounge room and Mikkarl who is working quietly in the kitchen. When Wynn starts to stir I get to my feet and glance towards the kitchen. Mikkarl has looked my way at the sounds of movement and I send him a friendly smile.

"Thanks for the food," I say, "It really hit the spot." I head for the room I have been using and when I reach the doorway I stop as I detect someone following me, I turn around and find Donovan following with my glass of juice and a nervous grin.

"You forgot your second drink," he says stopping as uncertainty crosses his face. Donovan had eagerly refilled my glass with cold water when I had drained the juice. Wynn wriggles at the sound of his voice and a small squeak comes from him, I move the blanket so I can see his face and his eyes seem to focus on the movement.

"I got to feed Wynn he’s hungry," I tell Donovan and turn to head into the bedroom, I pause when he makes no move to follow me and I eye him a moment.

"You can come in but no trying to touch him," I warn as I head for my nest of bedding, I settle myself down on it before loosening the blanket around Wynn then baring a breast. Always eager for a feed Wynn begins feeding and I ease the blanket off his head so he has plenty of fresh air, a soft gasp comes from Donovan and I glance his way. Suddenly I want his company for just a little bit longer and I know he will do as I say without question.

"Sit down," I tell him firmly and Donovan drops instantly to the bare floor, his eyes glued to the small head at my breast.

"Look at his little hand! He’s even got fingernails!" Donovan says in awed tones. I smile as I look down at the small hand against my breast. His fingers knead the flesh there as he sucks strongly.

"He even has toenails on each toe," I say softly, still bemused with how perfect my son is.

"Does he?" Donovan asks eagerly, I smile and reach for the drink he holds.

"I’d better get back to the kitchen before one of the others come looking to see where I got to," Donovan says reluctantly.

"Want to hand me a dry nappy and the baby wipes?" I ask when he goes to get to his feet. Donovan hesitates a moment then reaches for the items I asked for. Wynn has stopped feeding so I ease him from my breast, cover myself and then lift him to my shoulder. Almost instantly he gives a loud belch and hiccups, Donovan laughs but stops immediately and I glance his way.

"Sorry I didn’t mean to make noise," Donovan says contritely.

"It’s okay," I reassure him, "I don’t be silent around him. He needs to get used to noises," I say with a shrug.

"Why don’t you bring him out to the lounge room? No one will hurt him, Micah would rip them apart if they even looked at him funny." Donovan says confidently. "And Sam, and Steven, and even Dwayne would get nasty as well. Mitchell has been staying at the house with …" he stops instantly and looks away from me.

"How are the boys?" I ask, "I really miss them."

"Jazzy and Mitchell are looking after them real good," Donovan says uneasily.

"I’m not angry anymore Donovan, " I say knowing he will report any aggression on my part towards his sister to Micah or Mitchell.

I place Wynn down on the covers and uncover him to change his nappy. Donovan’s hands are trembling as I take the nappy and baby wipes from him. I smile as I fasten the dry nappy on Wynn before slipping his trousers back on. I glance at Donovan and find him staring at Wynn totally enthralled by his movements as he wriggles and kicks energetically.

"He’s so small," Donovan whispers almost reverently and glances up to meet my gaze. I smile and look down at Wynn as I stoke a finger over a velvety soft cheek. Wynn turns his head but doesn’t give any indication of hunger by opening his mouth and searching for my finger.

A faint whimper from Donovan makes me glance his way and I am startled to see him sitting on his hands as he watches Wynn, a deep look of yearning on his face. I hesitate a moment then wrap Wynn securely in his blanket, pick him up and settle him in the crook of my left arm. I pat the bedding at my right side as I look Donovan in the face.

"Sit here," I tell him firmly, "Do exactly as I say." Donovan licks his lips and glances towards the door before moving to where I have indicated, he looks at me and I give a slight nod. I get onto my knees and kneel facing him as I carefully lower Wynn towards his lap, Donovan instinctively holds his arms out and I place Wynn in them.

"What do I do? What do I do?" Donovan whispers frantically as I sit back on my legs and watch him holding Wynn nervously against his body. A faint sound just outside the room grabs my attention and I look up just in time to see Justin move back from the doorway.

"Hold him, talk to him." I say quietly.

"Hey Wynn, I’m your Uncle Donny." Donovan manages and glances at me for encouragement, I smile and then frown as I hear the screen door slam but Donovan is watching Wynn once again and misses my frown.

"I can feel him moving his legs, he’s kicking!" Donovan says softly in surprise.

"Look he’s not crying and he’s watching you," I tell Donovan, "He must like you."

"You think so?" Donovan asks hopefully.

"Yeah, you’re a nice guy and he knows it." I reply quietly. Wynn whimpers then lets out a cry and I grin at the look of terror on Donovan’s face.

"What did I do? What did I do?" Donovan whispers frantically as I reach for Wynn to lift him from Donovan’s arms. I quickly offer Wynn my other breast and he starts on the second part of his feed.

"I’d say by the look of that it’s what you couldn’t do Donovan," Mikkarl says quietly from the doorway making me jump nervously.

"Don’t go sneaking up on me!" I admonish him sharply as I pull the baby blanket over Wynn covering him up.

"I’m sorry Rosy," Mikkarl says gently, "I didn’t mean to startle you but I didn’t want to interfere with you letting Donny hold Wynn."

I give an annoyed huff but glance at Donovan who is watching Wynn drink, he glances up and smiles before getting to his feet slowly.

"I’ll let you do whatever you do," Donovan says very quietly to me before heading towards the door. The screen door slams against the wall and heavy boots run into the building, I keep my attention on Wynn even when whoever they are head my way.

"Is there trouble?" Sam demands tightly as he tries to keep his voice down, I can hear him but not see him as Donovan and Mikkarl leave the room.

"If you’ve been bothering Rosy! … " Micah starts sharply and I put Wynn down despite the fact he is still feeding and he begins crying as I head for the door covering myself as I go.

"Leave Donovan alone! Stop trying to bully him Micah!" I say angrily as I rush out of the room despite the fact Wynn is crying lustily. I hesitate in the doorway, every motherly instinct calling me back to my son but I have to sort this out first. I glance back in towards where Wynn is before glaring at Micah who is watching me as if slightly amused. I frown angrily at him and toss my hair behind my shoulders as I cross my arms over my breasts.

"Donovan was invited to go into the room …" I glance back over my shoulder anxiously before glaring at Micah once again, " and he didn’t ask to touch Wynn I handed him to him!" I snap sharply before turning and marching back to where Wynn is beginning to scream demandingly. When I have him on my breast once again I glance towards the door with an angry frown but no one is in the doorway or making any noise outside so I turn my attention back to my son.

When Wynn is fed and once again asleep I stretch out beside him and stare at the ceiling idly, the inactivity is starting to get to me but I roll over and study Wynn’s small face as he sleeps. His hair is an unusual light brown with gold and white blonde strands through it while his eyes already have traces of brown flecks in the cloudy blue of a new born. The shape of his eyes is the same I see whenever I look in a mirror but the shape of his jaw line and chin is definitely from his paternal side of his heritage; strangely he resembles Dwayne and Justin more than he does Edwin.

I turn my head slightly to listen as the screen door heralds the arrival of some of the toms and I turn my attention back to Wynn as I catch the first few words of conversation announcing that I had ventured out to the lounge room. The buzz of conversation is low but continuous and I ignore it as I close my eyes and try to drift off to sleep only to find myself caught in the hazy limbo between sleep and wakefulness. Footsteps in the sunroom bring me fully awake and I turn my head towards the door, pleasure runs through me as Mitchell halts in the doorway and I sit up with a smile.

"Rosy!" Mitchell says warmly and walks over to me. He spares Wynn a quick glance but is too insistent on wrapping me in a warm hug to do more then give him a passing glance.

"Are you okay?" Mitchell demands, "I’ve been you came out of the room and Sam wasn’t here for you!"

"I was hungry but Mikkarl made sure I had something to eat." I say softly as I ease back from his tight hug and glance down at the small bundle beside me.

"They told me that. How can we look after you when you hide away from everyone?" Mitchell demands worriedly.

"I’ve been so tired," I say pulling his hands from my upper arms and holding them as I swing them like a child, "and I need to keep him safe."

"Oh Rosy!" Mitchell says sadly and leans his forehead against mine, "If there was anyone who wanted to hurt your baby Sam and I would have found them and driven them out of the clans territory by now."

"I’m not taking any chances with him!" I snap but don’t move away from my brother’s touch. He draws me into his arms and hugs me as he nuzzles against my neck taking in my smell.

"There’s not just us who’ll be looking out for you and Wynn, Micah will be too. He still wants you and I think maybe it’s time for you to decide whether or not you want him," Mitchell tells me seriously. I sigh softly and turn so I can sit on his knee, I feel his arms circle my waist and then his chin rest on my shoulder. A noise at the doorway catches my attention and I look that way in time to see Sam walk in, he gives me a smile that I return and then he sits on the chair he has been using.

"You’re looking better," Sam tells me.

"I had a good sleep and then some food," I tell him.

"I heard about that," Sam grins widely and I can see he is pleased with me.

"How is Wynn?" Sam asks and I smile at his question. I look down where a small mound in the bedclothes covers my son. Sam always asks how he is.

"He’s asleep, see." I say with a nod towards Wynn, the realisation that I haven’t voluntarily let either of my brothers see their nephew hits me making me frown and I move off Mitchell's lap to sit beside Wynn. Careful not to disturb him I move the covers off him and lift him out of his baby blanket, I glance at Sam and Mitchell to find them watching intently.

"Want to hold him Sam?" I ask gently and Sam looks at me with a jerk of his head, the longing on his face pulls at me and I get to my feet carefully. A soft hiss escapes Sam as I lay Wynn in his arms and then Sam is cuddling him close, one hand gently touching Wynn’s little hand until he wraps his small fingers around a large thumb.

"He’s perfect," Sam breathes reverently and glances at me with a smile. I am surprised to see tears in his eyes until I realise that for Sam this will probaly be the closest he gets to a child of his own.

"Of course he is," Mitchell scoffs softly, "Look at who his mother is." At that my brothers share a laugh and Mitchell comes over to look down at Wynn.

"He looks like a Williamson," Mitchell remarks.

"What happened after things were reported? …" my words trail off. I don’t regret what had happened. Can’t regret it because of the baby in my brother’s arms yet I wish I had been given the choice of who had joined me in the cage.

"Standard punishment for forcing a she-kitt is castration." Mitchell says flatly and I look at him in horror.

"There was an investigation into what happened," Sam tells me quietly.

"Not only Edwin was investigated, Wade and Micah were also. Ray claimed Wade was trying to force you to become totally dependant on this clan for protection and that Micah was aiding and abetting him." Mitchell tells me gently.

"I don’t regret it, how could I regret Wynn?" I ask as I look at the sleeping baby, "things wouldn’t have worked out like they have and I wouldn’t have my boys. All three of them! How are Terry and Dacey? When is Jazzy going to bring them to visit?" I demand as I remember them.

"You won’t try to hurt Jazzy for taking them away will you? I helped her," Mitchell offers worriedly. I press a quick kiss to his cheek and give him a gentle slap on the upper arm.

"Consider yourself punished," I tell him and glance at my son so they won’t see my eyes as I lie, "And no I won’t hurt Jazzy."

I can feel Mitchell studying me seriously before he gives me a quick hug and turns his attention back to Sam and Wynn.

"Sam you need to start thinking of letting Mitchell have a hold of Wynn," I tell him gently.

"Just a moment more," Sam says softly and lifts Wynn higher so he is able to brush a light kiss on his forehead before looking at Mitchell. I watch as Sam passes Wynn to Mitchell who takes him eagerly and cuddles him close.

"Am I holding him right? I won’t drop him will I?" Mitchell asks anxiously.

"Yes and no," I say reassuringly, "Calm down you’re doing fine."

"He’s so tiny! He feels so fragile in my arms!" Mitchell exclaims nervously.

"So now I know why you stole my older boys, because they’re bigger and you can play with them." I laugh at the dazed expression on his face as he looks at me, I stick my tongue out at him before moving to lean against Sam and rub my back against his chest.

"You’re very affectionate," Sam remarks as he wraps his arms around me and squeezes hard, I give a soft grunt from the strength of his hug but flash a smile back over my shoulder at him.

"I’ve missed you both so much," I say quietly and hear the soft grunt of acknowledgement from Sam as he rubs his face on the back of my shoulder. It is with shock I realise he is crying as wetness soaks into my shirt, I turn in his embrace and nuzzle against his shoulder and throat like a much younger sibling offering him the only comfort I know how to.

"Stop changing every time I turn around! I feel like I don’t know you!" Sam scolds against the side of my neck and I ease away from him slightly to look him in his face.

"You’ll get to know me because I plan to stick around. If someone tries to drag me away just wait because the first chance I get I’ll come home again." I tell him fiercely. A knock on the wall and the sound of someone clearing their throat startles us both and I turn towards the doorway quickly, Donovan is standing with his gaze averted and for the first time I can truly appreciate the subtle ways werecats give each other privacy.

"Donovan," Sam says and his voice is crisp and clear once again giving no indication of his tears from just moments before.

"Supper is ready and I thought Rosy might like to come out to eat again," Donovan says hopefully.

"Yeah, are you going to come out to the lounge room to eat? We’ll be there so you won’t have to worry about anything," Mitchell says eagerly turning towards me. I glance towards Wynn in his arms and lick my lips nervously, I know all the toms will be out there but isn’t it time I started having more confidence in my brothers?

"Ok," I say hesitantly, "But I got to wrap Wynn up in his blanket so he doesn’t get cold."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 92 37
Sequel to "A Changed Fate" "Thanks to the young and troubled one, the savior of the clans is to be discovered underneath silver light." Who is the yo...
630 29 12
A cat named Roaring Tiger is given a message. Things known as a clan will start up, and he must be the one to make it happen. Gathering certain cats...
362 18 17
ValleyClan has been peaceful and prosperous under Yellowstar's reign. Until Spottedstrike receives a prophecy and causes the clan to become divided i...
2.1K 90 10
What made this cat the murderer he's known as? Brokenkit is a ShadowClan cat through and through, yet he doesn't know the identity of his real mothe...