Because I love you

By peculiva

Four years after Mickey went to prison... More

Fuck
Four years ago
Wheelchair
Ian Gallagher
Every day
Shrink
Good luck
Out
Home
Examination
First date
Christmas

Good days and bad days

1.7K 35 8
By peculiva

When Ian came home from his last day of work before Christmas he found Fiona in the kitchen cooking dinner and Yevgeny sitting in Liam's old chair and playing with one of Carl's old action figures. Liam and Debbie were in the living room and watching TV.

"Hey" he greeted and placed a kiss on Yev's head, "How are you doing little man?" As a response Yev chuckled and threw batman at him.

"Hey!" Fiona said and smiled as she looked up, "Could you lay the table?"

"Sure" he answered and opened the cupboards to take out some plates while his sister almost spilled the tomato soup on the stove as she tried to move around him to get the salt.

He put everything they would need on the table and then headed upstairs to get a needed shower.

As he was done he went into his room and got dressed. It was freezing cold outside, the whole city buried under a thick layer of snow, so he put on the warm hoodie that was hanging over the bed. He smiled as the smell hit him. Mickey had worn it last.

As glance at the clock on the nightstand his boyfriend wasn't gonna be home for at least half an hour. He usually spent the first half of the day in the Gallagher house going through Fiona's managing shit, finding new ways to cut her costs down or getting more customers and looking after his son while the afternoons were served for the Alibi to go over Kev and V's numbers. Well and hang out with Kev. The two had become bros over the last couple months something Ian was really happy about. Happy that Mickey had found another friend. But fortunately he got along pretty well with everybody in his family. And his family liked Mickey. Even Lip although he would never admit it. Neither would Mickey admit that Lip wasn't always being an asshole. Hell, once he had even overheard them talking about some stupid math problem he had had never even heard of.

Normally it was Ian's turn to watch Yev when Mickey was out but every now and then he had to work in the afternoon but luckily there was always someone who would take care of him. Sometimes Fiona just took Yev with her to the laundromat.

He was about to join him and his sister in the kitchen again when he heard someone moving around in the room he used to share with his three brothers. He expected to see Lip as he opened the door but looked down at Carl who was busy unpacking his suitcase. Well if you call taking all your stuff out at once and shoving it into a drawer unpacking.

"Holy shit!" he said and his little brother looked up, "Right Fi said you would come home for Christmas."

"Good to be back" Carl answered and hugged him, "Military school's fucking hard."

Ian smiled. "Yeah but you knew what you were getting into."

"Not exactly but it's okay. Can be a lot of fun." The last part sounded almost guilty and Ian knew why. It had always been his dream to go to the army and of course Carl knew that. But he was actually pretty done with the whole soldier thing after his short career at the military and the aftermath. He had something way better now.

"I'm sure you kicking their asses" he said and smiled reassuringly at Carl and then they heard Fiona screaming, "Dinner is ready!", so they went downstairs.

"That for Lip?" Carl asked glancing at the at the empty plate at the end of the table next to Ian.

"No it's for Mickey" his big sister answered, "Lip's at Sierra's." He didn't hear the second part.

Wait what? For Mickey?!

Ian must have noticed his confused look as he said, "Yeah, Mick and I are back together" while he was trying to get Yevgeny to hold his spoon in a way that wouldn't let soup spill all over the kitchen.

"So just in case you're wondering that's also why Yev's here" Debbie added.

"Holy fuck what else did I miss?" he asked and all his siblings sitting at the table, even Liam, smiled.

"A lot" was the answer he got from Ian.

And then he listened to all the things that had happened during the time he was away. Ian was right there had been a lot of shit going on. He heard about Fiona's laundromat, Sierra, Debbie and her feud with Derek's family which she had finally won and Liam's fancy as school Frank had managed to get him in. When he asked where their dad was he just got a shrug from everyone except Yevgeny.

Well, just as his siblings he didn't really care. What he did care about was the story concerning Ian and Mickey. The had started the whole story telling thing because of the news about Mickey but hadn't actually told him what had happened yet but had started with Fiona's new career.

"Okay but what about Mickey?" he asked as he finished his soup.

They told him. About Trevor the guy he had only met once and hadn't liked because he had really liked the badass boyfriend Ian had had before whose name was Mickey.

They told him about how Lip and Ian had seen Mickey in the hospital. About why he had been there.

When they were done Carl didn't really know what to say. Mickey was in a wheelchair? He couldn't help feeling sorry for him. He had always looked up to Mickey, to this tough guy who happened to be together with his brother. When Mickey had gone to prison he had thought that he didn't deserve that but this, this was beyond unfair.

"But he's doing okay" Ian assured him and Carl believed him as he saw the look in his eyes. It was the look of happiness.

But suddenly that look darkened and worry appeared in Ian's eyes. "Speaking of Mickey" he said nervously checking his phone, "He should be home by now."

Ian lasted another ten minutes, during which he helped Fiona cleaning the kitchen while the others continued watching the movie Debbie and Liam had put on earlier, until he put on his jacket.

"You gonna go to the Alibi?" Fiona asked and he nodded.

"Did you call him?"

"Yeah three times in the last two minutes."

"Kev and him are probably watching the Sox game or some shit and his phone died" she tried to comfort him but he didn't miss the way she avoided his gaze. Something she always did when she didn't really believe what she said. They both knew Kev would have called if something like that had happened knowing Ian would go nuts if he didn't know Mickey was okay. He was aware of the fact that Mickey could take care of himself but especially since he couldn't walk anymore Ian couldn't help being worried about him. Mickey was getting better but the wheelchair would stay and Mickey had good days and bad days. The good days meant the pain was okay and not being able to walk was getting kind of normal. But on the bad days Ian would see Mickey wince at almost every move he made, although he tried not to show it. The painkillers only helped a little.

"I'm sure he's fine!" Fiona yelled after him when he went outside through the back door.

The second he was out in the dark air of the night he could feel the cold creeping through his jacket and onto his body. He quickly made his way to the Alibi while checking if someone had texted every couple minutes.

The bar was crushed with people. Kevin was running around taking orders and pouring alcoholic liquids into glasses and passing them to the regulars sitting at the bar. He was clearly to busy to be watching the Sox game that was on the TV in the corner.

Ian looked around but couldn't find Mickey between any of the people sitting there and enjoying their drinks.

He went towards the bar where Kermit and Tommy were having an argument whether or not it was okay to watch "Married at first sight" even if it was with your girlfriend or wife.

"Hey Kev" he said and Kev looked up from the beer tap he was holding a glass under.

"Hi!" he greeted back, smiling, "You wanna coke?"

Ian shook his head, "No. I'm looking for Mickey is he here?"

"No", Kev answered, "He left like three hours ago saying that he was done. So he didn't come home?"

"No and he isn't answering my calls."

"He pissed at you?"

"Not that I know. And I don't see a reason why he would be."

"Hey!" Kev yelled all over sudden and the chatting that was filling the room died down, "Anybody seen Mickey?" All they received was head shaking by the regulars and confused looks from the people that were new and didn't know Mickey.

"Shit" Ian cursed and tried to keep his breath steady. Couldn't stop the fear rising in his chest. Fear that maybe something had happened to Mickey.

Kev looked at him obviously not knowing what to do but finally said, "Maybe he got shitfaced for some reason. I mean he knows I wouldn't let him but there's other places you can do that. I don't know maybe he's in pain or just a really shitty mood. Although he seemed fine when he left."

Ian ran a hand over his mouth trying to stay calm. "I'm gonna check the bars."

"Good luck" he heard Kev's voice full of concern before he was out in the dark again.

He found him two hours later. In a tiny shithole of a bar crumped between a shabby coffee shop and a hair salon. The room was almost empty besides two guys sitting at one of the tiny tables and the scary looking bar tender.

Mickey was at the bar his head buried in his arms that were laying on top of it. A bottle of vodka next to him. Half full. Ian's heart sunk.

He ignored the glare the guy behind the bar was shooting him as he walked towards Mickey.

"Hey Mick" he said.

No reaction. Shit.

Carefully he moved one of Mickey's arms to get a look at his face. His eyes were closed but obviously he was awake because he slurred something Ian didn't understand.

"Jesus Christ Mick! The hell are you doing?!" he said knowing he would achieve absolutely nothing by that. The damage was already done he could see that.

"How much has he had?" he asked looking at the bar tender who was still staring at him.

"Half of the bottle" he answered and pointed towards the vodka.

Fuck. He would have to call an ambulance if... he opened the pocket at the back of Mickey's chair and quickly searched through it until he found the container with the painkillers. He had just refilled them this morning, 30 pills. He counted and felt a big wave of relief rolling over his heart when he found it still full. Mickey hadn't washed down his meds with alcohol he hadn't taken them at all. The only medication he carried around with him was the painkillers, the rest he would only take in the evening with dinner.

So it was probably just alcohol in his system. A lot. He still debated if he should call 911 when Mickey stirred and lifted his head eyes flickering half open.

"Ian?", he mumbled, "the fuck are you doing here."

"Looking for your wasted ass because you were busy getting shitfaced instead of answering my calls" he answered but the harsh words were full of worry. Why was Mickey so drunk?

But since he was speaking and Ian was able to understand him he decided not to call an ambulance.

Even though Mickey had barely drunk after he had gone to prison he was anything but a lightweight.

Still Ian could see he was completely out of it.

He paid for the amount of vodka Mickey had consumed before he put him in position in which he could lean his head against Ian's arm as he pushed him through the dark night. The cold air seemed to shake him up a little and he lifted his head but didn't say a word.

Fiona was still up when they got home jumping off the couch as soon as she heard the door opening.

"God what happened?!" she asked as she saw Mickey, her eyes wide in shock at the sight of him.

"Got drunk as fuck but I don't know why."

"Jeeze Ian we have to go to an ER. His meds-"

"He didn't take them!", Ian interrupted her, "Can you call Kev and tell him that I found him?"

His sister nodded and went to get her phone while he pulled the jacket off of Mickey's limp body.

When he had managed to get it off he quickly went to the kitchen and grabbed a halfway clean glass that was sitting on the countertop and filled it with water before he gave it to Mickey. He watched him as he emptied the glass and was glad when he noticed the water caused Mickey to sober up a bit.

"What the hell Mick?" he asked as his boyfriend's eyes became more clear, "The fuck do you think you're doing?" He knew that there must be a reason why he got so fucked up and he needed to know why. Shit like this couldn't happen again.

Mickey remained silent, staring at his hands in his lap, avoiding Ian's gaze. Ian sighed. Maybe he would talk if they were alone.

"You need anything?" Fiona asked. Her eyes were full of concern. He shook his head. "No thanks. We're good. I'm just gonna take him to bed."

"Okay", she said, "I'll go to bed too." She disappeared upstairs and he crouched down in front of Mickey. He was so drunk that he could barely hold himself on Ian's back so Ian took the steps as quickly as possible. When he started to get his clothes off Mickey slapped his arm away. Ian felt a sting in his guts but backed away and left the room to get his toothbrush. He knew Mickey wanted to be alone right now. That he needed space. And he was willing to give him space. Just as Mickey had done during Ian's first depression phase. And the ones that followed.

When he came back into their bedroom he found a pile of clothes next to the bed. Mickey had managed to get rid of his jeans, hoodie and shoes. He was laying near the edge of the bed, curled up into a ball, turned away from Ian.

Ian changed into an old shirt and sweatpants before he crawled under the blanket, leaving some room between him and Mickey. His chest felt tight at the sight of him. He looked like he was trying to disappear and he wanted nothing but hold him his face buried into Mickey's hair. But he only pulled the blanket up to cover Mickey's huddled body and moved to the other sided of the bed.

A thousand thoughts were rushing through his mind. He tried to think of the reason why Mickey had decided to drink himself almost unconscious instead of taking his meds. He used to drown his problems in alcohol way back before the whole prison incident but Ian had thought that Mickey was doing better by now. That he was starting to accept his situation and making the best out of it. God, they were happy. Fucking domestic to be honest and Ian loved it. He had thought Mickey liked it too. Maybe not. Or maybe it was something completely different. It took him a long time until he feel into an uneasy sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 2.5K 21
"You're a what ?!" She exclaimed. "A drug dealer." He snickered. © saucymilan 2017
1.1K 49 19
What happens after 5 years
311K 5.6K 49
he was crazy - she was innocent or not as innocent as he thought... better read to find out what happens 😙
847 60 20
Continuation of Mickey - The View From Here. Please start with Part One.