Orc Wars : Uprising

By Ghost_Lord

Fleeing his home, Jace ends up starring on a reality show, playing "Orc Wars: Uprising". Only one avatar can... More

Intro Note
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1 - Accident
Chapter 2 - Jonathan Carter
Chapter 3 - Awake
Chapter 4 - Recovery
Chapter 5 - Simtrixx Incorporated
Chapter 6 - Premilaries
Chapter 8 - Quest
Chapter 9 - Keep
Chapter 10 - Cheats
Chapter 11 - Illia
Chapter 12 - First Cut
Chapter 13 - Nightmare
Chapter 14 - Ash
Chapter 15 - Another Nightmare
Chapter 16 - Shield
Chapter 17 - Battle Master
Chapter 18 - Review
Chapter 19 - Pixel
Chapter 20 - Nightlock and Silhouette
Chapter 21 - infirmary
Chapter 22 - Halloween
Chapter 23 - Disorientation
Chapter 24 - Blood Clot
Chapter 25 - Interview
Chapter 26 - Return
Chapter 27 - Orc Friend
Chapter 28 - Valentine
Chapter 29 - Nico ... a Mage?
Chapter 30 - Account
Chapter 31 - Last Goodbye
Chapter 32 - Grouping
Chapter 33 - Freeing Heroes
Chapter 34 - Midnight, the Barbarian
Chapter 35 - Aftermath
Chapter 36 - Blind
Chapter 37 - Group Interview Part 1
Chapter 38 - Group Interview Part 2
Chapter 39 - Fine Print
Chapter 40 - Virtually Blind
Chapter 41 - Claiming Midnight's City
Chapter 42 - Boss
Chapter 43 - Resurrection
Chapter 44 - Second Chance
Chapter 45 - Enhanced Healing Potion
Chapter 46 - Boss Fights
Chapter 47 - Mourning
Chapter 48 - Lord Commander Varbuk
Chapter 49 - Portal
Chapter 50 - Preparations
Chapter 51 - Defence
Chapter 52 - Reconciliation
Chapter 53 - Jace
Chapter 54 - Kalthu
Chapter 55 - Desperate Plan
Chapter 56- Exchange
Chapter 57 - Returning the Orc Prince
Chapter 58 - Torture
Chapter 59 - Uprising
Chapter 60 - Life
Chapter 61 - Finale
Chapter 62 - Last Meal
Chapter 63 - GateKeeper

Chapter 7 - Orc Wars

5.6K 316 43
By Ghost_Lord

The next day after a hearty breakfast, the players were ushered into a large Gaming hall. Hardwood floors echoed the sounds of hundreds of footsteps. Each player was directed to individual Gaming consoles with their Registration number displayed electronically on it. Ash grinned in excitement and peaked in.

"Awesome!" he exclaimed excitedly.

The consoles were like mini capsules from the future. There were numerous controls on each arm rest and touch screens in front. Above the touch screens was a large darkened panel. A comfortable head rest nestled with devices surrounding it. Ash spied the head gear and gloves. A small hood covered the top. Wow, what does that do? he wondered.

"Ah, my prison cell," Ash quipped as he slid into Game console number 0318. He looked over to his left at Jace through a small window. "Clang your tin cup if you need me," he was in good spirits.

Jace gave Ash a thumbs-up. So far, this was much better than he had expected, Jace thought as he inspected the hi-tech console. These people were serious about the Gaming. He had been secretly worried that Simtrixx would focus more on the reality show and not place much importance on the actual game itself. It seemed that he was wrong. Jace rubbed his hands in anticipation. This is going to be great.

Once they were settled in their pods, the stage in front lighted up as the room dimmed.

"Welcome, Season One players," a disembodied voice sounded.

Applause burst out coupled with catcalls and excited yells.

"You have been divided into three groups due to the limited Gaming pods we have. All present here are designated Group One. You have six hours before you have to vacate your pods for Group Two. You may return for another session after Groups Two and Three have completed their sessions. Please check when the virtual pods are available for your use. Thank you."

The wall behind the stage was made up of multi screens. A large screen placed in the middle was currently displaying the Simtrixx logo. It was flanked by vertical rows of smaller screens on each side, cursors blinking on each screen.

"Please put on your head gear and gaming gloves. Thank you." A few minutes went by.

Jace strapped on his gloves and put on the head gear. He pulled down the mouthpiece into position. Immediately, the pattern on the headgear lighted up. The head gear had intricate patterns worked into it which made it look cool. The same pattern running through the gloves glowed as he put them on.

Sensors to monitor us, eh? He didn't like this. Keeping tabs on us so we don't accidentally die. He wondered if the game had dangers Simtrixx had not disclosed to them.

"In a while you will each create your avatars, pick from the Classes available and give it a name. Though there will be Orcs and many other types of races in the Game, you will all be humans."

A low murmuring started in the hall.

"This tattoo," and a symbol much like a mystic rune glowed on the large main screen "must be placed somewhere on your avatar. It indicates that you are a Player – the Mark of a Ghost Lord to the NPCs."

"Once discovered, you will automatically out rank all in the Land except other Ghost Lords. Your Player level will determine your ranking amongst the Ghost Lords. However, it will also make you a target to the Orc hordes. They have been programmed to target Lords above all other targets. I suggest you place the tattoo somewhere hidden on your avatar's body in a place easily accessible. This tattoo is crucial to you too. Touch it and the virtual menu comes up, this includes logging out of virtual mode. Games Control will only extract you in an emergency which does NOT include death of your virtual self."

"Please do not disclose your avatar's identity to anyone. Disclosure will result in severe penalisation and disqualification. The names of your avatars and their profile picture will be displayed on the smaller left screens. Initially, positions will be random until you start accumulating XP points, votes and levelling up. It will act as your Leaderboard and is updated instantaneously in real time."

"The right screens will display viewers' comments and suggestions. Any avatar's name mentioned or tagged will be highlighted. Please take note that they have the power to affect your Game and popularity. We want viewer interaction and input. Popular suggestions will be used to direct Gameplay and Quests. You have three days to create your character and build as much as you can. After this period, we will be on air and voting will start. The large screen in the middle will display random avatars, sessions as you play or news updates."

"Any complaints, suggestions and requests can be made through your medical personnel or personal messages to the Games Master."

"Now please take your hand unit and put it on."

Jace picked up a flat device like an ipad. It was on a chain with his registration number on an ID tag. 'Inmate 0317'. He grinned to himself as he slipped it around his neck. The ipad and ID tag resting on his chest.

"Once you have created your virtual self, you will be able to play on your hand units anywhere, MMORPG mode. Please take them everywhere you go and log in as often as you can. You can also play in the pods. However you can only go virtual in the pods. Please inform Games Control whenever you do. We need as much footage as we can of all of you."

Ahhh, it makes sense now. The Game control and Editing rooms must be already on standby for the coming input frenzy. Jace was suddenly reminded of the hidden cameras rolling. They were already recording and editing for the show's Pilot in three days. Well, that's their problem, Jace thought.

"Okay. You are all familiar with the Game. You need only to know two more things we have changed from the Beta Game. First, you will not be given a castle."

A few groans.

"Yes we are making you all homeless vagabonds."

Teasing comments and laughter sounded throughout the hall. A few Simtrixx personnel stationed around the hall smiled at the gamers' reactions.

"It will be more challenging and interesting. First Quest is to Search and adopt a castle to call your home."

A rustling in the hall, the Gamers were getting restless. When were they going to play?

"And lastly, the coin you earn in the Game via levelling up, completing Quests, killing Orcs en cetera can be used in game for the usual purchases but ... a very special new feature has been added just for you. It can also be converted into cash and withdrawn from your new accounts. One real dollar for every thousand virtual Gold coins!"

A commotion arose in the hall as everyone started talking excitedly at the same time. Real money! Extra cold hard cash on top of the daily hundred they were being paid to play! What unexpected good news!

"Choose wisely, spend too much in game and have less to spend in the real world. Withdraw too much and your Game may suffer for lack of necessary items ending in your elimination," the voice cautioned.

Jace sat up in his console. Oh my God! That's crazy. How did they manage that? So that was why they requested everyone to open an account with them yesterday, for payment purposes indeed. That was one reason for the non-disclosure contract and everything was so hush, hush. He took a deep breath. This was his chance. He was going to make this work. He had to.

"If and when you get eliminated, any Gold coins you have left ingame will automatically be converted into cash and credited into your account. You will have to withdraw all your money and clear your account within seven days or forfeit the money."

"I won't waste anymore of your time. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!"

A roar went up as everyone cheered. At last!

"Hell yeah!! Finally," Jace thought. Well, here we go, time to be reborn as someone else. He reached for the touch screen in front of him.

-----

Jace watched the beautiful graphics as he waited for the dramatic opening theme to end. To set the tone, a deep mournful voice read out the storyline. Sweet sorrowful music played in the background. Jace half smiled. Nothing like a little drama.

The Orcs spawned from nowhere and destroyed everything in their path. The once rich lands were burned and ravaged. Those brave or foolish enough to oppose them were killed or worse, taken prisoners. Prisoners were later used for savage sport or vile entertainments. None survived when the Orcs were through with them, for the greatest pleasure of the Orcs was spilling blood.

So dawned the Age of the Orcs. Those who were left, lived in constant terror, poverty, famine and despair. But there was hope, an obscure prophecy. A prophecy whispered among the people which foretold the downfall of the Orcs by the Ghost Lords. They were the foretold men and women who will appear when the time was right to avenge the fallen and banish the Orc Hordes from their lands forever. These Ghost Lords will be so marked by destiny.

The Orcs, learning of this Prophecy grew fearful and rampaged the lands yet again, this time in search of the marked ones. Many more innocents were killed. People suspected of bearing the Mark were caught and tortured for information and later slaughtered. From time to time, such raids were done and a standing order was issued throughout the Orc ranks, to capture all those bearing the Mark. The Orcs were planning to reign as long as possible if not forever.

And so, the people waited and waited for the mysterious Lords to come. As time went by, the people lost hope and the Orc Lords grew less vigilant ...

"Whew, give the people hope, save the lands, kill the Orcs ... and don't get killed in the process. No problem," Jace muttered. "No pressure."

"What was that 0317? You have to speak up. We didn't get you."

"Umm, nothing, just talking to myself," he spoke louder into the mouthpiece. "I'm reminding myself not to die."

"Affirmative," and he heard a giggle. It seems these people had some sense humour after all.

Okay, the screen was prompting him.

Male or Female. Jace gave a half smile. 

"Male."

He wondered if Ash would choose Female. The nut sometimes liked to mess around. I'll ask him later. Okay, next.

A list of human choices came on screen.

 "Hmm, what shall I be? Let's see ..."

Profile pictures came up as he scrolled through the list.

Barbarian

Strong, good fighter, good with weapons and hand to hand combat

Knight

Brave, loyal, good with hand weapons and hand to hand combat

Ranger

Agile, stealthy, heightened senses, good with long ranged weapons

Mage

Intelligent, good with sorcery, magic and natural elements

Healer

Heals and fights with herbs, potions, poisons and natural forces

Rogue

Mercenary, good fighter, good with hand weapons and hand to hand combat

Jace ran through the list and back again.

"Ahh, more choices this time compared to the Beta. Okay, Ranger it is."

As he made his selection, the standard Ranger avatar came on screen.

"Now to customize you."

Jace was pleasantly surprised. When Simtrixx said they had fine-tuned the Game, they were not kidding. He could customise micro physical details of his avatar; height, weight, skin color, hair style, colour, length and each facial feature. He could even customise specific parts of his avatar's body, Jace found out in amusement. The Ranger's basic clothes were in greens and browns. More options will be available as your Hero levels up the screen informed him.

"Okay, fair enough," he was getting there.

Jace spent only a half hour customizing his avatar. He had played so many MMORPGs with Ash that it was a simple task. Nothing fancy, he just wanted something like him but not like him. Same built and height, a skin to be comfortable in but different enough so that he could be someone else. He ended up with something like a cross between an elf and a human. Good enough, he thought, but the long black hair will get some getting used to. That's different alright, he grinned, even Ash wouldn't be able to recognise him. He could always shorten it later if it got in the way of fights.

"Hey, hang on ... no weapon?"

He searched in the Items menu to no avail and finally tapped his tiny microphone attached to the headgear.

"Umm, hello?"

"Game control, how may we help you 0317?" a clipped male voice this time, he was all business.

Guess there was a team taking calls, first come first served. Jace grinned. Ash is going to get a kick out of being called a number.

"Hi, I've got a question ..."

"Go ahead."

"In the Beta test my Hero was given a basic weapon. I don't see any in my Items menu."

"Affirmative 0317. Weapons will have to be bought or crafted by your Hero."

"Oh okay. Thanks. Another challenge, I assume. No hand-outs this time huh?"

He was not expecting a reply and was surprised again when the voice came over the intercom.

"Affirmative. It will make the Game more interesting ... and 0317? I suggest you get one as soon as possible." It sounded ominous.

"Will do," he chuckled.

Now for a name and he could go virtual. He couldn't wait. Beta test was gaming online only. This was a whole different ballgame especially if the rumours were to be believed. Simtrixx had somehow managed to include virtual senses. Everything will be real in that world. It would be literally wearing someone else's skin.

LAZARUS

Now for the best part, he thought as he slid down the VR shades over his eyes and touched a panel.

"Games Control, I'm going virtual."

"Copy that, 0317."

"Medic?" he asked.

"Here," a familiar female voice answered.

"I'm going in," he told her.

"Okay 0317, good luck."

Link established.

Everything went dark. Then a faint light started glowing from the middle of the screen. It grew bigger and bigger, coming towards him. Suddenly he was assaulted by multi coloured lights flashing faster and faster going past him. He tried to blink but couldn't. This is like going through a time warp.

-----

Games control was buzzing. Over half the Players in Group One had already gone virtual. The others were still asking questions or still perfecting their avatars. They were all being carefully monitored by several teams. Games control had started recording the Players virtual journeys.

The editors will soon be in frenzy as all the feed came in. There were over a thousand Players. There were 1349 Players to be exact. Zen, the Games Master gave a wry smile, they won't be getting any sleep soon. He glanced around the chaos in Games Control and his smile widened. He loved his job.

Jenna, Head of Medic was studying the large screens on one wall. It showed the active Players vital signs with their pods and numbers highlighted. The pods enabled the Players to go virtual but it also allowed her medical team to scan and monitor their physical bodies' health. Her medical staffs were capable and were all busy checking the Players assigned to them.

Each medical team was assigned twenty seven Players but the numbers will improve as some leave in the coming weeks. However. those who stayed will need increased attention. The longer the Players managed to survive, the more stress they will face. The Players will be battered physically, psychologically and emotionally. She sincerely hoped they will be alright after Season One.

A few special teams under Felix were on high alert, ready to trouble shoot any technical problems that may arise. The first few live sessions were bound to have teething problems. All eyes were trained on the numerous screens displaying information everywhere.

Nadine was on site at Games Control. She trusted her Heads of Staff implicitly but liked to be where the action was. She watched Zen as he gave last minute instructions. He was in his element, he lived for the Game. Her eyes strayed back to the screen in front of her. More names were being added as each Player completed creating his or her Hero, named them and went Virtual. Each Hero's name had an accompanying profile picture and class. All was going as planned.

There seemed to be many knights. Chivalry wasn't dead after all, she hoped. Rouges were popular too, being 'bad' and lawless appealed to many. Barbarians were well favoured too and were chosen by those who valued brute strength and sheer power. Even the female barbarians, the equivalent of the fierce Amazon fighters had many takers. The beautiful, sexy avatar portrayed beauty and strength.

Mages and Healers were chosen by those who loved magic and it's boundless forces. The robes and costumes of that Class were functional and beautifully lined with mystic runes and symbols. However, players would have to earn the right to wear the runes. And finally, the unassuming Rangers, skilled hunters who would level up to be assassins and spies. All in all a good mix she decided.

Right now, most of the Heroes had standard pictures as most Players were impatient to go virtual. Nadine saw a few more tailored profile pictures coming up. Ah, better she thought. These players took some time to customise their virtual self, showing their pride in their Hero.

Even early in the Game, a Player's character showed and usually indicated how he or she would perform. The characters could be customised later during gameplay she supposed but serious Players should not be wasting time on that later in the Game. After all, it was their performance, deeds and quests that mattered, not how they looked. Interaction with NPCs and following the storyline also counted. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Renegade By Paula

Paranormal

4.5K 415 39
Fourteen years ago, a teenage girl accidentally set her friends and a store on fire. Today, every ability-wielder is tested, categorized and closely...
4.9K 294 15
Life, the most realistic, in-depth, virtual reality game on the market. The game lets people go into the video game and do a plethora of things. For...
928 91 22
"Our entire lives led us to this moment, only for us to lose in the end. We aren't a team, a family, we never were. We are just a bunch of puzzle pie...
9.3K 1.3K 25
⊰ The Wattys 2021 Shortlist ⊱ ⊰ Winner of the Wattpad India Awards 2020 Fantasy and Adventure ⊱ ; Two brave hearts emerged from the tragedy- one a sa...