Drop of Magic (Malec)

By thespilledpoet

And in that moment I realize I feel no regret. This is one moment I never want to leave, but also one I'll ne... More

Taken Interest
Not Irrelevant
Perfect Moments
Pancakes and Honesty
Old Wounds and Alcohol Don't Mix
Hangovers Suck
Partners?
Blissful Mornings
Movie Nights and Moving
Shopping Can Be Fun
Mario Kart and Max
For Us
Becoming a Lightwood
Good News and Bad News
Two Months
Falling, Hard
I Love You
Drop of Magic (Epilogue)
(Author's Note)
Bonus Chapter (1) Elevator Stays and Rainy Days
Bonus Chapter (2) Not The Wedding You Were Expecting
Bonus Chapter (3) Pack My Bags
Bonus Chapter (4) Our Magic
Bonus Chapter (5) Little One
Bonus Chapter (6) Mess ups and Make ups
Bonus Chapter (7) Starting Over
Bonus Chapter (8) First Halloween
Bonus Chapter (9) Lucky
Bonus Chapter (10) It's Christmas!

Controlled Alcohol Makes Dates Better

3.8K 216 53
By thespilledpoet

I glance at my phone, having just gotten off work. I'm due to meet Magnus at his place at 9, he's staying late at the office for a meeting. My screen lights up and I'm welcomed by several missed calls from Simon and a few texts demanding I call him instantly and explain where I've been. I sigh and dial his number, waiting for him to pick up.

"Alec, hey, where the hell have you been, man? No one at the office knows anything and you just stopped showing up. Is everything okay?" I laugh a bit and he stops bombarding me with questions. Briefly, I recap the past week, my growing relationship with Magnus and my new career. He whistles into the phone.

"Wow dude, you've got your mojo back, huh? That's freaking awesome. Magnus sounds like a cool guy, when do I get to meet him?" I chew on my lip, trying to avoid any answer.

"Not too sure, Simon. Maybe some other time, I'm having dinner at his place tonight." Simon wolf whistles and I roll my eyes but can't hide the blush that rises.

"Well, tomorrow night I'm meeting up with Clary and your brother. They're sort of a thing now," I raise my brows though he can't see me and wait for him to continue. "Izzy's gonna tag along and I think we're just going to watch movies. You should come, invite Magnus." I think it over for a second before deciding it might be a good idea to see them all and get it over with.

"Yeah, sure sounds good. I'll see if we can make it." Simon laughs softly.

"You sound like an old married couple already. Catch ya later, Alec." He hangs up and I roll my eyes again, stuffing my phone back in my pocket. The mid-April air is warm and damp with the aura of Spring. I walk slowly back to my apartment, enjoying the slight bustle of the streets and the time to think. So much has changed in the past week and a half that I've known Magnus, and I don't think I'd have it any other way. I just wish I had some idea if he was interested in more than being business partners and friends. There's something about Magnus that drives me absolutely crazy, and I can't help but worry he won't feel the same and I'll lose out on all these amazing opportunities he's given me.

By the time I arrive back at my apartment, it's nearing 7. I throw myself in the shower and wash off the unnecessary nerves of my first day, letting myself relax and look forward to my night with Magnus. Once the water starts to run cold, I step out and towel dry my hair before sliding into some comfortable dark blue jeans and a deep purple dress shirt. The air is humid outside, still too warm, so I roll the sleeves up and leave the first two buttons undone. When I'm all ready to go, it's almost 8:30, but still a little too early to catch a cab to his place. I shrug and grab my keys and wallet, slowly wandering downstairs. Maybe traffic will be bad, so I should probably head there early, just in case. But deep down, I know I just can't bare to be away from him any longer.

Magnus POV

I didn't tell him it was a date. I'm hoping he just got the gist and won't be absolutely horrified when he gets here. I wring my hands nervously and push my hair up. I left out the glitter, having noted that the few times he's seen me without it, he gets a fond, loving look in his eyes. I think he prefers me more natural. The Chairman meows at me and hops up on the bar stool by the island. I pat his head and lean my hip against the island, looking down at him.

"I've got it bad, don't I?" He meows in response and I nod, sighing. My homemade butter chicken and rice are staying warm on the stove when the doorbell rings. I push away my nerves even though I think I'm going to be sick and look over myself once more. My maroon skinnies are tight fitting and my black v-neck t-shirt with gold trim is formed to me. I tug on the sleeves of my black shiny blazer before pushing them up to my elbows. Biting my lip, I unlock the door.

Alec is a God, I swear. His dress shirt hugs him like a second skin and his pale white collarbone poking out from beneath it is driving me absolutely mad. His skinny jeans are tight and he wears black dress shoes with them, shiny in the pale light emitting from the open doorway. I meet his eyes and he smiles shyly at me.

"Hey, Magnus. You look...wow." I flush slightly at the compliment and look him over blatantly so he knows I appreciate him.

"You're one to talk, dear, you look stunning." He bites his lip nervously and I gesture for him to come inside.

Alec POV

I'm not sure what to expect when I walk inside, but this exceeds all of my expectations. We make our way into the dining room where Magnus has set up his small table with a black tablecloth and candles. He has our plates and cutlery set out and the smell wafting from the kitchen nearly makes my mouth water.

"You went all out, Bane." He looks worried and I raise my hands up. "No, I didn't mean it like that. I love it." He relaxes and flashes me a smug smile.

"You sit, love, I'm going to grab our meal and some wine." I nod and take a seat, working the soft table cloth between my thumb and forefinger to calm my nerves. When he returns, Magnus dishes our plates and I'm shocked again at how great of a cook he is. He pours us two glasses of wine with a flourish and lights the candle between us before sitting down.

"So Magnus, is this our first official date that I can't ruin?" He laughs softly and his amber eyes are smoldering in the soft candle light.

"I figure if I can monitor your alcohol intake under careful watch, we should be safe." His voice is low and sultry and he finishes with a wink. It takes my breath away and I can feel the blush rising up my neck. I take a small sip of wine and hope that if I can get a bit of a buzz going I won't horribly embarrass myself tonight. We eat and make small talk, mostly me complimenting his cooking skills before things get too deep.

"Magnus, you haven't told me a lot about yourself." I can see him tense a bit but he instantly relaxes his shoulders and sets his mouth in a smile not nearly as welcoming as the one I'm used to.

"Ask away, my dear, I'm your open book." I take a bite of my food and a sip of wine before fixing my eyes on him again.

"Your family, can you tell me about them?" He takes a deep breath and dabs the corners of his mouth with a napkin.

"My past is complex and not very lovely. My birth mother made a mistake, got pregnant too young and was inexperienced. My father was a regular drunk and made off before I was born. I see him, every now and again at bars. He doesn't know though because he doesn't know who I am. My mother left me on the front steps of the fire station in Brooklyn. From then on, I grew up in the system, house to house, family to family, never getting to settle down or find a home. Failed adoptions happened constantly before I just accepted that I wasn't cut out to have the whole apple pie life. When I turned 18, I did some gambling and got lucky. I'd always had a knack for art and stuff, so I figured I'd start up my own business. And here we are." He shrugs a bit and smiles at me when he's finished. I furrow my brows together and reach across the table to take his hand in mine. He intertwines our fingers and I smooth my thumb idly over his hand.

"I'm so proud of you for making it this far from what you came from. You're truly an amazing person, Magnus Bane." He smiles and lifts my hand, brushing his lips across my knuckles.

"You're better." He stands then, gathering our plates and bringing them to the kitchen before returning. "Would you like to have dessert with me?" I nod and watch as he leaves again. I can't deny I love watching him walk away, if only for the view. He returns with two dishes that look heavenly. We dive in and I start to laugh when Magnus manages to get ganache on the corner of his mouth and part of his cheek.

"What? Is there some on me?" He looks mortified, wiping at the completely wrong area. Shaking my head, I laugh and lean forward, capturing his hand in one of mine and letting my free hand catch his jaw.

"A little something. I'll get it." I go to wipe it away with my thumb and blush at how close we are, our faces mere centimeters apart, our breaths mingling between us. I meet his eyes and flick my gaze down to his lips. His tongue darts out, wetting his lips and making them look even more irresistible. I lean in a bit more and watch as his amber eyes are hidden behind his lids. Closing my own eyes, I ghost my lips over his cheek where the line of bittersweet chocolate begins. I can feel him trembling gently beneath me and I squeeze his hand in my own, dragging my thumb along his jaw as I move my lips to the corner of his mouth. He draws in a sharp breath before my lips find his.

Some people say kissing someone you love is like fireworks, like explosions and like feeling everything crash all at once. For me, it wasn't like that at all. Kissing Magnus feels like finding the hole you've always had inside you and noticing for the first time that it's no longer empty. It's slow and hot, smoldering and aching for more. It's an ignition of fire deep in my veins, where every inch of skin and every movement sets alight my nerves in a slow-burning spark. It's a forest fire, perfectly out of control.

When I run out of breath, I pull back just enough to suck some air through my teeth. Magnus is breathing hard and shallow, and I smirk smugly at how I've made him feel. He blinks open his warm honey eyes and presses his forehead to mine, our noses bumping softly.

"Alexander," he breathes, and I can feel every part of me unravel for him, open up to him and become vulnerable. I nod numbly, noses brushing and lips catching for a second. He captures my lips again and I run my hand from its place on his jaw up to tangle in the short hairs at the base of his neck. He moans in response and tightens his grip on my hand while his other hand explores the expanse of my chest and torso through the thin layer of my dress shirt. I think, briefly in this moment of pure bliss, that I would gladly give up anything to have Magnus, just like this, warm and fiery, full of love and lust, burning like a rumbling fire beneath my fingertips. My Magnus, just like this, forever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 607 16
Completed. A Malec AU- Magnus Bane has a simple life and is quite satisfied with it. But when Alexander Lightwood, his new neighbour enters his life...
218K 10K 41
This is an AU (Alternate Universe) Fanfiction based on the characters from the amazing series written by Cassandra Clare. All characters belong to he...
315K 11.4K 109
Love, feelings and accidents.
11K 404 27
Magnus knew his husband would leave him... permanently... at some point, but he never imagined it to happen so soon. Magnus's husband, Alexander Bane...