Stranded (A Greyson Chance Fa...

By liveoutsidethelines

Drew is a normal girl. She goes to a normal school, fights with her little brother, and goes on vacation ever... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Epilogue
Important Announcement

Chapter Two

4.1K 66 27
By liveoutsidethelines

Chapter Two 

     Depressingly, my eyes pop open at five in the morning. AJ is supposed to be here at seven, so I decide to put my early risings to good use. Hopping out of bed, I open up the wooden dresser drawers and select my outfit for the day. For me, clothing isn't always about flawless style and looks. It's about being comfortable and feeling free to wear whatever you want without other people's judgment. Of course, people judged anyway but I honestly didn't care.

   Going off these morals, I slide on a neon green V-neck, black shorts, and my black converse. Grabbing my hairbrush, I comb out my long reddish brown locks. Honestly, I still had no clue how I got red hair when both my parents had brown hair. Genes were strange that way; add that to the list of reasons why I will never understand science.

   Exiting my room, I tiptoe through the living room, careful not to step on a squeaky board, and out the balcony door. The wind instantly whips my hair back, sending it flying around my face. Edisto was always windy thanks to the sea breeze.

   Inhaling the freshwater smell, I savor the aroma. I had missed this. Walking over to the railing, I look down into the marshland a good twenty feet beneath me. Hanging over the edge, I kick my leg over the railing. A few years ago I had learned to go this way when my parent's slumber was a necessity.

   Every time I would open the door inside the apartment, the alarm would go off, waking my mother. Let's just say that she is not a happy camper without her beauty sleep. So, as you can see, I preferred this strategy much, much more. Also, I kind of enjoyed it. I'm not going to lie.

   Meticulously, I edge my way down the siding, careful of falling. If I did, it would be certain death. If I was lucky, I would only be in a coma for all of my life. Either way, falling meant being a vegetable for the rest of my life or having an amazing view from six feet under. So, you can see my conundrum.

     Skillfully, I make it all the way down to the top of the next railing. 

   "What exactly are you doing?"

     The boy's voice breaks the silence of the early morning. I nearly scream and lose my footing, nearly. Looking up upon the silhouette of the boy I reply tartly, "Scaling a building like every normal person does. What are you doing up at five in the morning?" A smirk plays on my lips. I refuse to allow this boy to get the best of me.

"Apparently, watching an odd girl sneak out of her room." He responds to me sharply. I could practically see him rolling his eyes. In agitation, I climb back up and cross over onto his balcony. He had already irritated me and made me scale a building again and the sun hadn't even risen.

   "Okay listen," I straightforwardly begin.

"I came here for the summer for relaxation and to live on my island, alright. Not to let some random new kid criticize me, so please, I ask kindly, for you to knock it off. Oh, and by the way, I am not sneaking out. I just prefer climbing down the building."

     I could feel Rude Boy's eyes on me, scanning me. Surprisingly, he apologizes

"Alright then, I'm sorry, okay. I just didn't expect all this. It's much more different than where I am from."

     He gestures with his hand towards the major river, which runs behind the timeshare. The birds fly low over it, dipping their pink-tinged wings in the cool water; occasionally diving for the fish that called Edisto their home. Pelicans cry in the palmettos, South Carolina's state tree. It was beautiful, just the sight could silence thousands. It was serene.

   "I know," I answer breathy. "It can completely alter your appearance on everything." As soon as I say this, the sun begins to creep over the horizon turning the sky into a watercolor picture. Rude Boy's eyes study me; I can feel them searching my face. The appearing light now illuminates the bottom of his face. His skin is of average tone and light brown freckles grace his derma.

"That's the thing. I love the beauty here but it's so far away. It is like a parallel universe to California."

     California? This boy lived in California, interesting. 

 "Well, just enjoy the quietness and don't criticize random girls you bump into in hallways alright? Just because we're not in California, it doesn't mean that girls don't like respect" I smile playfully. Even in the darkness, I can see him smile brightly. His teeth were extremely white.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I was in a rotten mood. I know this is weird but, would you mind showing me around the island? I need all the help I can get."

     I am tempted to say yes but I remember my appointment with the new neighbor.

 "Sorry, I can't. I have to show around some new kid next door." I motion to the apartment next to mine.

 He nods then adds, "Yeah, I forgot. Someone has to show me around as well. My mom set everything up, you know how they are."

 Ha, did I ever.

 "Yeah, well I have to go you know, scale the building, so I'll see you around."

   I swiftly escape and climb down the rest of the building and grab my bike. The whole time the brown-haired, freckle-faced boy is watching me.  

                                                                           ***

   The island swells around me. The cormorants fly high in the now illuminated morning sky. This is what I needed, the untouched ecosystem, the beauty of the island. My island. The wind, whipping back my straight hair, smells of freshwater and fish. Inhaling the aroma deeply, I continue on. Passing the fish shop, I decide to stop and say hello to William.

   William is the store's manager, business owner, and best employee. In fact, he is the store's only worker. William is a middle-aged, already balding, rotund man. But his body is as big as his heart. Parking my bike under the wooden, rotting, canopy I call out to him. "Hey, William!" 

   He turns around, clearly shocked by anyone arriving at his store before it even opens. But, when he sees me, his face lights up. "Ah! My little Drew! Is that you? You've grown up so much!" He lumbers over then envelopes me in a warm hug.

 "Yes sir, I'm turning fourteen next week."

   I proudly share the information with him. You see, I am the youngest in my grade and am the last one to be turning fourteen before high school. I know it sucks. "Wow, my little girl growing up to be a young woman." His gap smooth smile is contagious and as a result, I am now grinning.

"So, is there anything you would like?" He offers.

 "No sir, I just came down to say hey. But I will bring AJ along later and this other boy."

   It sickened me how this random kid would be butting in with us. I didn't mind people but, I was set on this. Oh well, I'd just have to suck it up. 

   Whenever I mention the boy, William's eyebrows raise in mock suspicion. "Oh, I see. And could this boy be a possible beau of the young lady." Nervously, I laugh and shake my head.

"No, this is just a new kid that I got set up in showing around. Nothing more." He smiles again, obviously not buying it.

 "Alright. Well, I'll see you around then Drew."

   I nod, waving as I clamber aboard my Schwinn bicycle. Checking my watch, I notice that it's six thirty and if I wanted to get back to the Wyndham by seven I'd have to leave now. Pushing off with my left foot, I journey back to my temporary home. 

                                                                                   ***

   Bursting through the front door I shout, "Morning Ma! Good morning Dad! G'Day, brother!" Oddly, my little brother has an obsession with two things, video games, and Australian stuff. I'm surprised he doesn't like Cody Simpson.  Entering the kitchen, I find my mother drinking an industrial size mug of coffee. My dad is reading the newspaper, (which, by the way, is only the comic section) and Dalton is nonchalantly chewing Captain Crunch Cereal, his favorite cereal in the entire world.

 "Morning Honey." My mom's golden eyes shine brightly, even in the morning sluggishness.

Kissing my forehead, dad adds, "Why don't you grab some breakfast?" Shaking my head no, I reject his offer.

 "No thanks, Alexandria and I are going to Tanya's for breakfast. I was thinking the new kid could come along."

   Ugh, those words. They're bitter in my mouth. My mom smiles widely, buying the false smile. I was helpful and caring, don't get me wrong, but ever since that Rude Boy yesterday I had been in a sour mood. Well, now he should be called Decent Boy given the fact that I did have a civilized conversation with him this morning.  

"Great idea and you better grab your money for breakfast. Alexandria will have hers and her bike, correct?"

   Smirking I respond.

"Mom, you know she does. Tanya's is the only place that they allow her to eat in public."

   Remembrance crosses over my mother's face and she nods slowly, apparently reminiscing. That is when I hear a knock at the door. Checking my watch I see it is seven on the dot. Dang, that girl is good. Opening the entryway, I am attacked by a teenager with long light brown hair and hazel, now green eyes. "Drew!" she squeals at the top of her lungs.

   I am unable to respond because AJ is squeezing the life out of me. "AJ-nice-to-see-you-now-let-go." I choke out before she internally vaporizes my airways. 

She pulls away and exclaims, "Sorry lovie, I just, like, legit missed you! Where's the fam?"

I laugh at her insane way of communicating.

"They're in the kitchen having breakfast."

   She skips along merrily and gives every one of them a hug. I can practically see Dalton's eyes bulge out of his head from her tight embrace. "Hey, Alexandria," mom greets. Regardless of all the time we spend together, she is still completely unaware of how she hates her full name.

"Hey, Mrs. Malone." AJ resounds back in a clearly false tone; she was irked. But, with AJ, that doesn't last long.

"You girls ready to go?" my mother further inquires.

   We both nod and then I kiss every one of their heads signaling that we were leaving. "Love you Ma. I'll be back around one." It sucked because AJ had to leave at one to go to a soccer game. She was a killer goalie and her team needed her.

"Okay, be careful and don't forget to pick up Grace Ann."

     I nod slightly confused. I thought she said the new neighbor was a boy? Well, maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all. 

As we head out the door AJ wonders, "Whose Grace Ann?" 

"Some new kid that my mom set up for me to show around the island. Apparently, she met her mom in the lobby and chatted her up. You know how she's little miss congeniality."

   We walk over to the next building with the number on it that my mom gave me. I find 144 easily. That was weird, I thought I had to get the person out of 142. Confidently, I step up to the wooden door and rap on it sharply. A woman with brown hair and brooding eyes appears. The woman smiles warmly. "Hi! You must be Drew. I'm Lisa." The woman named reaches out and shakes my hand all too eagerly.

   "Nice to meet you." I return the handshake and pull away awkwardly. I never was really used to handshakes.

"Let me just grab Grace Ann," Lisa adds as she turns back into the room.

     I nod and AJ looks sideways at me. I could tell she thought that woman was a little too peppy. As we stand there waiting, a shadow comes to the doorway, first dark then lightening as it approaches. "Hey," the all too familiar voice begins.

Oh, no.  

   As Rude Boy nears Alexandria and me, I nearly freeze. No, this couldn't be happening. Out of every other person that stayed here, it had to be him. Great, my luck officially sucked. AJ takes the liberty upon herself to greet him and smiles widely. "Hey! I'm AJ and this is Drew."

   Finally, the boy's full face is basked in sunlight and my heart nearly stops. How could he be here? Oh my gosh, it's all making sense now. Alexandria's face lights up as well. The boy's brown hair and brown eyes sparkle in the light. His freckles look like sprinkles intricately applied to his face. It completely makes sense to how he comes from California. They weren't saying Grace Ann at all.

   "Hi, I'm Greyson." The boy holds out his hand and Alexandria shakes it. I'm too stupefied to move and he sees it. He knows I recognize him as much more than just the boy that ran into me. He flashes me a cocky smile and flips his hair out of his light brown eyes.

Rude Boy is Greyson Chance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

263K 16.8K 81
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
28.7M 913K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
22.4M 787K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...