Dragon Blood (Completed)

Door ErinDuffin4N

"He's dead, and we're all going to die." The words haunted Zane, their truth could not be denied. His days a... Meer

Map of Ethiolan
The Summons
The Spell
The Girl
The Heir of Bluescale
The Escape
The Prince Returns
The Good Royal
The Disturbing Breakfast
Royal Plans
The Queen's Command
The Bluescale Dragons
Findings
Bad Ideas
Dean's First Flight
An Unsettling Sight
Fly or Fall
Sweet Kisses
Over Exerted
Balaan's Army
Open Communication Is Key
Reasons Not Enter The Desma
A Call for Royal Blood
Framed
Options
Lavender's Request
The Need to Escape
Down to Business
Love and Devotion at its Finest
Seeking Absolution
Desma

In Loves Arms Again

303 28 3
Door ErinDuffin4N

Chapter 12

Zane's need for air was screaming at him as he wrapped his arm around Paige to pull her back to him. Every second that ticked by without air, he grew more desperate. If she didn't give him air soon, he was going to have to force her mouth to his and take it as he did before. He didn't want to do that to her, but he was terrified of dying in this dark tunnel.

He tapped her on the cheek, a signal that had been working up to this point, but this time she flinched away from his touch. What was wrong with her? She started to struggle against him. He grabbed her face in both his hands, forcing her mouth to his, finally taking the breath he so desperately needed. He knew better than to take too much.

A few seconds later, he repeated the process because she was still pushing and straining to get away. This time when he took the breath, she moved her hands up to his face, scratching him. She was fighting him as if her life depended on it.

Zane couldn't understand what was going on. She was acting like he was trying to harm her. Her sharp nails dug into his cheek so he grabbed her wrists. He was able to hold both her small wrists in one of his large hands.

Their struggling was causing him to go through more air than he had.

He started kicking as hard as he could, just to make it out of the tunnel. His fear of not making to the other end grew as he started to feel dizzy. His reality came in waves of unfathomable blackness, and bright shining spots flashed before his blind eyes. He was losing blood. His life depended on this girl who was still fighting against him as if he were the enemy.

Again, he forced her mouth to his, trying to pull the air he needed from her, as she shook her head violently from side to side. His lips slipped against hers. He had to grab the back on her head just above her neck to force her to stop moving, then he finally he managed to take the breath he needed.

Anger and frustration were growing in him; the more she fought against him the more air he needed. Which intensified the situation, as it seemed that each breath he took only added to her struggle.

He shook her angrily in an effort to snap her out of her fright, to make her understand so she would stop fighting him. He couldn't fathom why she was playing games with his life. The next time he forced their mouths together, she bit his lip. Pain shot through him and he jerked away from her. Fed up and desperate, he grabbed her roughly, holding her jaw so she couldn't bite him again. Suddenly, she stopped fighting, going limp in his arms. Though she no longer fought his every breath, she didn't actively give him air either. He still had to take it from her, but now the process was a lot less stressful.

Finally, he started to see light. He kicked harder, trying to make it to the surface before he needed another breath. The light was farther away than he'd estimated. He desperately needed more air before he reached the end of this bizarre situation.

When he finally reached the end of the tunnel, Paige was still limp, but the pulse in her neck that beat against his fingers was extremely rapid. His head broke the surface and he gulped in fresh air. Thoroughly fed up with Paige, he let her go, and strangely, she started sinking. He looked down to see her eyes were wide with terror. She didn't look like she saw anything—she certainly didn't see him.

He caught her arm, pulling her to the edge of the waterway where several guards were standing there, waiting for them. Dean was already out of the water. One of the guards reached down to grab her arm, another grabbed her under her other arm, and together they lifted her out. Once the two had their hands on her, she started screaming.

Her reaction was so extreme, Zane could hardly process what he was seeing. The guards released her as soon as she was on the platform. She collapsed on the stone floor, curled into a small ball, muttering something in her other language.

One of the guards helped him out of the water, then he set to work on healing Zane's wounds. Zane stood motionless, unable to take his focus off of Paige. She seemed so small and fragile lying there; quite the opposite of the girl he'd met thus far.

How could she have been so strong hours ago, and now after one encounter with the enemy, she was falling to pieces? His heart sank as he realized she was not going to be up to the task of helping to defeat Balaan. Mentally, he chastised her weakness. He needed her to be stronger than this.

Dean approached her slowly, calling her name, speaking only in the other language that Zane desperately wanted to understand. Dean put his little hand on her cheek. She flinched away from the initial contact, though after a moment, she blinked and focused on him. Her eyes darted around the stone walls, taking in the guards and Zane before she turned her attention back to Dean. She rose up on her knees so she was eye level with him and spoke seriously for a moment, then Paige pulled him into a tight hug.

She stood, turning her focus to Zane. "Are you okay?"

"Despite your best efforts to drown me, I'm still alive." He was still angry with her and didn't want to let her off the hook, so his tone was cutting.

"Blazes, Zane, I'm sorry." There was so much remorse in her voice that his anger started to waver slightly.

"Why didn't you tell anyone you are dual-natured?" Zane asked, wanting to change the subject and push the image of her weakness aside.

She opened her mouth, but closed it a second later. She looked away, wrapping her arms securely around her waist.

"Paige?"

"It didn't matter anymore."

"By all that burns, Paige, you are the rarest dragon in a thousand years. Of course it matters."

"Being some stupid pretty dragon shouldn't matter. What should matter is how I treat the people and if I'm a good queen. Why the hell should anyone care just because I look good when I'm at my most dangerous? What if I'm a total tyrant? Will everyone love their precious dual-natured dragon then?"

"But you are not a tyrant." He was thrown by her sudden shift from fragile to strong, leaving him scrambling for a rebuttal. "I haven't known you that long, but I can see you are not evil." He couldn't understand why she didn't see this as a good thing.

With her glamour stripped, her eyes bore the familiar slits of dragon eyes. Her eyes were fascinating, the way her dual-nature shifted in color, switching from blue to yellow. Her face was no longer swollen, her injuries were healed. She looked healthy, with a slight flush to her cheeks.

"You don't know the first thing about me or what I'm capable of." There was a hardness in her eyes that challenged him to negate her.

"Look, I don't know what happed down there, or why you freaked out like that, but you can't honestly tell me that you are some awful, unfeeling person."

"I almost killed you down there!" she shouted, stepping toward him. It was an obvious challenge, but her eyes held none of the aggression of her body movement. They revealed only pain.

"I know." Zane reached for her shoulder. Oddly, the look in her shifting eyes made him want to comfort her instead of continuing the stupid argument. Being around her was like flying through a storm with heavy up and downdrafts. He had no idea how to predict what she would say or do next.

She jerked away from his touch. "You're such a moron," she snapped. "Look at you standing there, mesmerized by my eyes. You don't even care that I was so out of it a minute ago, that it almost cost you your life. Blazes, Zane, what does it matter that I'm a stupid dual-natured if no one sees me? No one will care about me. All they're going to want is to get close to me for my power, or what they think they can get out of me so they can use me in some way to their advantage. So don't stand there trying to tell me this is a good thing when even you are doing the very same thing."

She turned away from him, but he didn't want to leave it at that, so he reached for her arm and spun her around to face him. "Do not presume to know what I'm thinking. Yes, your eyes are distracting, but I wasn't trying to figure out a way to use you. I was thinking of how scared you looked. Paige, you're shaking. What's wrong?"

She looked up at him her eyes flashing solid yellow for a moment before she pulled away from him. "Nothing." She turned away, called for Dean, and walked away.

They made their way up from the tunnel to a long hall. When they finally emerged in one of the castle corridors, Zane's father was pacing anxiously. He turned as soon as they emerged.

"What were you thinking!" Titus bellowed. "You not only put yourself in danger, you put my son in danger as well!"

"Excuse me?" Paige was not deterred by Titus' size and authority. "I just saved your son's life, again." She shifted slightly at her declaration. Only Zane knew how close she came to not saving his life.

"He wouldn't have needed saving if you didn't fall for the enemy's tricks."

"My brother was being attacked."

"That's why he has a guard. Next time, let them do their job." Zane was surprised by the level of condescension in his father's tone. Titus was speaking to Paige as if she were less than a commoner. Zane wanted to say something to neutralize his words and make them not so degrading. However, Paige was already retaliating.

"I am the Queen of Bluescale, not your subject. While you are in my kingdom you will treat me and my brother, the prince, with respect."

"I'm only here because you can't function without my son."

Paige balled her small hands into fists as she stepped toward Titus. Zane wanted to defend her, but he knew that the other royals needed to see the strength he saw in her.

"I would think a man like you would be happy that Zane has positioned himself as my friend and advisor. Now all you have to do is chirp your agenda in his ear so he can come running to me with all your ideas." She was slightly out of breath. She took a fast gulp of air, her eyes pure yellow, then continued. "Of course, the position could have been yours if you had shown my brother and me an ounce of compassion."

"Compassion? I have been understanding of your unique situation."

"You are a bad liar." Paige took another step toward him. He fell back slightly, giving up his position. It was the first time Zane had ever seen such a thing. "You tried to ship my brother and I back to the Earth realm. Luckily, Zane had graciously taken the time to hear my requests before making sure the only prince of Bluescale was given a proper meal. As important as he is to the realm and your life, I would think everyone here would be showing a little bit more interest in his well-being."

His father was speechless, and Paige seemed to be spent. She turned away from the king, asking Dean to show her to their new rooms, and walked away.

"Zane." He turned to the familiar sound, just as Lavender threw herself into his arms. He reached for her reflexively, catching her up to pull her close. He clung to her as if she was a life raft and he'd fallen into dangerous waters. Over her shoulder, he saw Paige stumble. She threw her hand out to catch herself, and one of her guards quickly reached out to steady her with a hand under her elbow. Zane's arms tightened around Lavender as he forced himself not to worry about Paige. Besides, he was where he belonged; with his family, and the woman who was going to be his companion.

Having Lavender in his arms again felt like his world was returning to normal. His confusion and anxiety felt like it was melting away. If Paige was a storm, Lavender was the sun that chased away the clouds. The farther Paige got from him, and the closer he drew to Lavender, the calmer he felt.

It took him a moment to realize that Lavender was talking, "...so worried. Ryder said you went into the sea." Tears fell freely from her beautiful green eyes, the eyes he was going to spend the rest of his life looking into. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"I'm okay. The queen saved me," he said calmly. Oddly, he felt like he had to protect Paige from his family finding out about her episode in the tunnel.

"I'll have to thank her." Lavender pulled away to look down the hall, where Paige was just turning the corner. She'd never looked back at Zane and his family, and he had to wonder how tonight's events would change the dynamic of their relationship, and if she still wanted him to participate in the investigation she'd started on Drake. If after experiencing a real fight she was still willing to pursue Balaan. He prayed to all the Gods that she wouldn't go into hiding, that she would keep the fire he'd seen in her.

He looked back to Lavender, gripping her hand to hold her back. He watched her look down the now empty hall, seeing in her eyes exactly what Paige had just accused him of. The greed that twisted her lips was calculating, knowing the dual-natured queen could gain her status and affluence. Lavender was going to make an excellent queen. She knew how to bend others to her will. Zane didn't understand how she did it, but there was a special charisma about her that he himself couldn't resist. She had a way of winning people over and getting what she wanted. She would find a way to pull the queen to her side as well.

For some reason, he felt he needed to protect Paige from Lavender now. Even though he had just been plotting on ways to keep Paige close so he could influence her on the fight against Balaan, he felt that Lavender's interest in her was less honorable than his.

"Let her go. She seemed rather tired."

"She's a ball of fire, isn't she?" Ryder asked.

"Yes, we heard the way she was speaking to the king," Lavender huffed, sounding offended on the king's behalf.

"She's just protective," Zane retorted.

"Well, the boy is safe now, so she can calm down a bit," his father scoffed.

Zane didn't bother to tell them that she wasn't just protecting Dean, that he suspected she was protecting herself just as much. He thought of the bruises on her abdomen and back and the way she pulled away if he touched her, as if she didn't trust anyone not to turn violent. The image of his guard hitting her still haunted him.

He looked at Lavender, wanting his mind to focus on something beautiful instead of the ugliness Paige brought to mind. "I'm glad you had a safe trip," he told her.

"Oh, it was such a long journey, and that awful fight was happening when we arrived. Ryder left me here alone. I was so scared when he came back alone." Her voice hitched with emotion, causing his heart to fill with love at her devotion to him. The idea of her being so worried about him made him feel special, that to her he was the most important person in the world, as she was to him.

She rambled on about her worries and the difficulties she had to endure. He knew she should never have to worry about him or herself like this. If it weren't for Balaan, there would never be an issue with her flying to another kingdom. The thought of her stress made his anger toward Balaan grow. That was a fight that would continue tomorrow. Right now, his priority was Lavender.

"Lavender, Lavender," Zane said, placing his hands on her shoulders. "Calm down. Everything is okay now." She stopped her chatter, smiling shyly up at him. He stooped low and pressed his lips to hers.

"Well, I'm starved. Where's the kitchen?" Ryder commented loudly. He hated to see Zane and Lavender being affectionate. Zane assumed it was because he was single and didn't have a love of his own.

In the kitchen, one of the cooks was still attending to the last of the duties. He quickly got snacks for them.

"Lord Prince, may I ask about the Bluescales?" The cook asked, knowing that he was friends with the queen. He wondered what story the staff would tell each other about the night's attack? Would the gossip spread about Paige and Zane's argument?

"Their transformations went well. The prince makes a fine young dragon, and I'm sure you have heard that your queen is dual-natured."

"Yes, sir, but is the queen healed?"

"I think she is well. Have you heard from the guard?"

"They were able to stave off Balaan's advance. They had them on the run shortly after the queen went in the water, sir."

"The queen seemed a bit fatigued. Maybe, if it's not too much trouble, you could take them a little something before you go?" Zane suggested, just to stop his mind from running wild with the possibilities of what could have gone wrong.

"Yes, very good, sir." The cook bowed and left to put together a tray that he promptly took to the queen. Zane watched the cook go, wishing he'd asked the man to return with a report on the queen, but it was too late for that. He turned his back to his plate, forcing himself to eat the food in front of him.

"So, what should we do tomorrow?" Lavender asked.

"In the morning, I'm meeting with the queen and the commander of the guard." Zane felt guilty for abandoning her.

"About what?" Ryder asked.

"Paige had the commander form a special unit to investigate Drake's crimes and the crimes that might be linked to Balaan's followers."

"How long is that going to take?" Lavender asked.

"I don't know. I guess it depends on what they find," Zane said, taking her hand.

"I thought the queen was laid up in bed? How did she accomplish all this?" Ryder asked.

Zane shrugged. "When she was awake, she made the most of her time."

"Ryder, it is imperative that you make a good impression, now more than ever. If any other royals get the advantage of her dual-nature, it will be very disappointing for our kingdom," Titus said, while thoughtfully stroking his beard.

"Don't worry, Father. I can woo her." Ryder smiled as he winked at Titus, proving he would fulfill his purpose for coming to this kingdom.

Zane hated the idea of Ryder and Paige together. He didn't think his stepbrother was a good fit for Paige. He was not the most sensitive dragon, and it was obvious that Paige needed a more attentive companion. He could think of a few other royals who would be better suited for her, but he knew his father would be furious if he suggested a different match for the young queen. So Zane kept his mouth shut, praying that Paige would not find Ryder attractive in any way.

Zane was on his way back to his room after saying goodnight to Lavender when he ran into Lilly, heading in the opposite direction from the guest suites.

"Zane," she inclined her head as she passed in a rush.

"Is something wrong?" Zane asked wondering where she would be heading at that hour.

"No, I was just on my way to see Paige."

"Paige?" Zane turned falling into step with Lilly. "Is she okay?" he demanded.

"I assume so, but she won't be when I get done giving her an ear full. Dual-natured...did she tell you?"

"No, I was just as surprised as everyone else."

"How could she keep a secret like that?"

"Because she knew everyone would treat her differently."

Lilly huffed but dropped the subject, though Zane's words didn't deter her from her trek across the castle to Paige's rooms. When they arrived, the night guard let them in, they were escorted to a sitting room that was exquisite, with every surface freshly polished. The silver accents sparkled, even in the low, late-night lighting. The staff must have been working on this room tirelessly once they received word of the Bluescales' return. Plush rugs absorbed his weight, and he could hardly feel the cool stone flooring under him. The furnishings were covered in softened dragon hides that had been bled of all their color until they were nearly white.

Lilly took a seat at the end of the couch closest to the chair where Paige was sitting by the fire. Zane sat next to Lilly but made sure to put a polite distance between them. Paige set the book she was reading down on the low table next to her chair. Zane noted the Bluescale crest on the cover and figured it was some text relating to her family's history or a diary from one of her ancestors.

"What's going on?" Paige wondered.

"I came to air my grievances," Lilly stated.

"Did you seriously come here at this hour to complain about my staff or the food?"

"No, my issue is with you," Lilly leaned forward to look Paige in the eye. "I want us to be better friends than this, which is why I must tell you, it really hurt my feelings that you didn't confide in me about your dual-nature."

"Oh," Paige replied. "Actually, my brother Regan was the only one who knew."

"How is that possible?" Zane inquired.

"He thought it would be a great joke to play on the family if we ever came to Ethiolan and took our dragon forms. So he convinced me to keep it a secret from my parents and the rest of the family."

"How did they not know?" Lilly was shocked.

"The glamor hid my true eye color, and besides, who in their right mind would assume their child is dual-natured? It was actually pretty easy to keep the secret because they knew I was a Yellowback. In private, Regan made sure I knew everything my father taught him about the waterways and being a Bluescale." A soft smile touched her lips as she looked at the fire. "There was a lake near our house where we'd spend hours swimming. My father had set up a makeshift replica of the Bluescale waterways at the bottom of the lake so the men in the family could practice. When it was just Dean and I, I made sure he knew the rhymes and tunnels too."

It was clear to Zane that Paige held her brother Regan in the same regard that he'd held his sister. He knew how painful it must have been for Paige to lose the brother she obviously adored.

"That does not explain why you didn't tell me," Lilly chided with an air of light banter in her voice.

"Regan was my best friend." Paige's voice started to shake. "When he died, the secret didn't seem to matter without him."

"Oh, Paige, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you," Lilly said miserably.

"Paige, what happened to your family?" Zane ventured.

She started with a shrug. "I had just picked Dean up from a friend's house. When we got home, the house was on fire. There were so many people already gathered in the street, I couldn't get close to the place. I had to park my..." She paused, breathing deeply. "There's not a word in dragon tongue for car. It's like a cart, but nothing pulls it. It moves on its own." She shook her head. "I had to stop a block away from the fire. We had a family meeting place in the woods behind the house, so I took Dean there to wait for everyone. I was really starting to worry, so I left Dean at the tree so I could go up to the house and see what was happening.

"I was halfway up the trail when I saw my mother coming. I can't tell you how relieved I was to see her. It took me a moment to realize she was alone. None of my family was with her. It didn't register that she wasn't running toward me, but away from someone. It wasn't until I saw Drake chasing her that I realized how wrong everything was.

"I froze. I didn't know what to do. As he got closer, I could have warned her that he was there, but I couldn't make a sound. I don't remember if I even tried. I just stood there. I watched as he gained on her. Then, when he was close enough, he transformed into a dragon while he was still running and snatched her up. It was over so fast, he didn't have to bite or burn her. In her weak mortal form, she broke easily under his enormous paw."

Paige covered her ears, and Zane knew why. There were many things he tried to forget about the night his mother died, but the sounds of her last screams were something he could never rid his mind of. They were all quiet for several moments, but when Paige spoke again, there was an unmistakable loathing in her voice. "I couldn't run, I was petrified. I just kept standing there, staring, doing nothing. By the time I could move, they were both gone. He must have put her in the fire because she was listed with the rest of my family as having died in the house."

"You know if he'd seen you, he would have killed you too." Lilly soothed.

"I can't ever know that for sure. I only know I did nothing to stop him."

"Paige—" Zane started.

"Can you go now? I'd like to be alone."

Zane stood, but he didn't move toward the door. Instead, he walked over and put a hand on Paige's shoulder. "I too watched my mother die. I know how awful you must feel."

She looked up into his eyes, studying him with her added intuition. It was different now that he knew she was a Yellowback. Less mystical than the way he thought she was looking at him previously. A deep pain was reflected back at him in the endless, brilliant depths of her yellow eyes. Like looking directly into the sun, it hurt to hold her grief-filled gaze.

"Please, go," she whispered

Zane gave her shoulder a small squeeze, then turned for the door, expecting Lilly to come with him. When he looked back to her, she shook her head, letting him know she was

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

24.6K 792 25
(DRAFT | HALF EDITED) Everyone knew her name. Everyone knew the prophecy. Everyone knew that she was going to destroy the realms that separate the mo...
39 6 12
the Draco was always just stories witch parents told their children to make them behave. a Cautionary tale of monsters who could turn from men into d...
304 26 24
14-year-old Alexia has always struggled with making friends. She often pushes them away, overreacting and angering her peers. As a result, she is ver...
4.8K 35 11
I should've known she would ruin me the moment I saw her. Women like her are made to destroy men like me. Given to me to start a war; I was too eager...