Orc Wars : Uprising

By Ghost_Lord

Fleeing his home, Jace ends up starring on a reality show, playing "Orc Wars: Uprising". Only one avatar can... More

Intro Note
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1 - Accident
Chapter 2 - Jonathan Carter
Chapter 3 - Awake
Chapter 4 - Recovery
Chapter 6 - Premilaries
Chapter 7 - Orc Wars
Chapter 8 - Quest
Chapter 9 - Keep
Chapter 10 - Cheats
Chapter 11 - Illia
Chapter 12 - First Cut
Chapter 13 - Nightmare
Chapter 14 - Ash
Chapter 15 - Another Nightmare
Chapter 16 - Shield
Chapter 17 - Battle Master
Chapter 18 - Review
Chapter 19 - Pixel
Chapter 20 - Nightlock and Silhouette
Chapter 21 - infirmary
Chapter 22 - Halloween
Chapter 23 - Disorientation
Chapter 24 - Blood Clot
Chapter 25 - Interview
Chapter 26 - Return
Chapter 27 - Orc Friend
Chapter 28 - Valentine
Chapter 29 - Nico ... a Mage?
Chapter 30 - Account
Chapter 31 - Last Goodbye
Chapter 32 - Grouping
Chapter 33 - Freeing Heroes
Chapter 34 - Midnight, the Barbarian
Chapter 35 - Aftermath
Chapter 36 - Blind
Chapter 37 - Group Interview Part 1
Chapter 38 - Group Interview Part 2
Chapter 39 - Fine Print
Chapter 40 - Virtually Blind
Chapter 41 - Claiming Midnight's City
Chapter 42 - Boss
Chapter 43 - Resurrection
Chapter 44 - Second Chance
Chapter 45 - Enhanced Healing Potion
Chapter 46 - Boss Fights
Chapter 47 - Mourning
Chapter 48 - Lord Commander Varbuk
Chapter 49 - Portal
Chapter 50 - Preparations
Chapter 51 - Defence
Chapter 52 - Reconciliation
Chapter 53 - Jace
Chapter 54 - Kalthu
Chapter 55 - Desperate Plan
Chapter 56- Exchange
Chapter 57 - Returning the Orc Prince
Chapter 58 - Torture
Chapter 59 - Uprising
Chapter 60 - Life
Chapter 61 - Finale
Chapter 62 - Last Meal
Chapter 63 - GateKeeper

Chapter 5 - Simtrixx Incorporated

5.7K 312 31
By Ghost_Lord

Lady Jayne cradled her tea cup. Conversation flowed freely around the table. Everyone was relaxed and in good spirits. She surveyed the young people around her. It had been some time since she had such a small casual group for tea. Her 'Teas' were usually grander affairs with buffet tables and socialites talking politics or charities. She glanced at Nikki who was laughing openly at something Ash had said, The boy was regaling her with his many, many exploits.

Jace was trying to keep a straight face. He was listening with a half-smile at Ash's outrages lies and obvious exaggerations. He would be leaving them in a few days, she thought and was surprised to feel a tiny twinge of sadness. The boys had signed-up for a Gaming competition. All participants were provided food and lodgings at a gaming complex to facilitate gaming and the show.

It was a new reality series based on a VRMMORPG and promised to be the next big thing for entertainment. The reality show will feature the players' avatars, not the players themselves. Viewers will be able to follow their adventures as they complete quests and level up. They would also be able to vote for their favourites. The confirmation of short-listed candidates was released this morning and the two boys were excited.

"Jonathan," Lady Jayne said quietly studying the handsome youth before her. It was time to let him know that she was aware of who he really was.

Jace stiffened immediately, the amusement faded from his boyish face and colour drained from his complexion. His frozen smile disappeared as he clenched his jaw and automatically straightened up in his chair. His whole demeanour changed in a matter of seconds. His face took on a haunted cast.

"No!" Ash half stood from his chair in shock as his friend's transformation. "Jace! No, don't go back there. You are Jace not Jonathan!" his voice was urgent. "Jace!"

Ash eyed his friend anxiously who didn't seem to hear him. He glared at the older woman.

Taking a deep breath Jace closed his eyes frowning. A few moments later when he opened them again, they were dead and calm. The humour and fun had fled. She could almost hear his defensive walls coming up as he retreating behind them. In a few short breaths the change in the youth before them was undeniable. Jace the easy going teenager was no longer with them. In his place sat Jonathan Carter, serious, intense ... guarded.

"Jonathan?" she asked.

Ash was frozen. All conversation had stopped.

"Are you alright?" Lady Jayne continued in a gentle voice.

A pause.

"Yes," Jace lifted his head warily. "Yes ma'am. I am. Thank you for asking," he answered in a monotone.

Jace waited, expectantly. What was he waiting for? she wondered. She looked at Ash, who was shaking his head urgently, frowning, trying to tell her to stop. Don't do it, please, his eyes pleaded. Don't remind him of who he is. The blond boy was agitated and barely able to control himself, he glared at her ready to leap at his friend's defence. He was trying frantically to warn her of something.

Jace noticed Ash then. He turned slowly to his friend and gave a slight shake of his head.

"It's okay Ash. I suppose the Lady has known for some time now." The same dead voice.

Ash sat down uncertainly. "Jace?"

Jace turned back to smile ironically at Lady Jayne.

"Thank you Ma'am. I trust you to keep my confidence in this matter."

Jace looked directly at her, holding her gaze with his own, daring her to do otherwise.

Lady Jayne couldn't believe it, he was challenging her! Here was the young man who had grown up in luxury and power, not the homeless boy living in his battered car. But she could hold her own.

"Of course."

She inclined her head watching him carefully. She was amazed at his transformation. He was talking to her as an equal. The person in front of her spoke with authority, like someone used to giving orders and being obeyed; a person of power and means. It was as if she was talking to someone else.

"Good," he said curtly, dismissing the matter and stood up gracefully. Tea was over. Ash followed his lead.

"Thank you for tea, Ma'am. It was delicious," he said mechanically, bowing formally as he had been trained. After all, manners maketh the man.

"You are welcome back anytime, Jonathan."

Lady Jayne understood. Jace was hiding behind a well groomed façade.

When she had called him Jonathan not Jace, she had intended for him to know she that was fully aware of who he was but was on his side despite his past. She wanted him to understand that she did not believe those vile rumours circulating about him, the juicy gossips and wild speculations fuelled by his timely 'disappearance'.

"... for Tea and to stay here for as long as you wish."

She surprised herself when she realised she really meant it. Nikki watched the odd exchange confused.

"Please come back again. I will keep the Shed open for you. I am sure they will let you both out for breaks."

She glanced at the silent Ash, "And if not, you are more than welcome to came back after the competition concludes."

"Come back here to stay? Really?" Jace blurted in amazement before he could stop himself not daring to believe his luck. Everyone else had shun him or tried to take advantage when they realised who he really was.

Then he paused, suspicious, searching for the catch. Could he trust her? She knew who he was, she might not believe him innocent. She was a prominent figure in the social circle, she had connections. Women tend to stick together, right? What if she believed them? He thought uncertainly. He blinked then and shook himself as if coming out of a dream. Whatever he seemed to be expecting did not materialise.

"You're very kind. Thank you, for your generous offer," stormy green eyes regarded her intently, "... and for your discretion," he added his voice breaking. There was an odd expression on his face.

It was time to go before he lost his composure completely.

"Please excuse us, Lady Jayne ... Miss Nikki ..."

Jace nodded politely, stiffly at them, then turned and strode out the room without a backward glance. Ash mumbled something as he hurried after Jace.

Nikki stared after them "But ..." She was confused, one minute they were having a wonderful tea and the next, Jace and Ash had left so awkwardly ... she looked at her grandmother for an explanation.

"What just happened? Why did they leave suddenly?"

Lady Jayne relaxed in her chair. "It's okay dear. Finish your tea."

Lady Jayne smiled to herself in satisfaction. She had informed him that she knew who he was and that he had nothing to hide from her. Jace was an intelligent young man. He would understand her subtle message that she was on his side. She was not a threat to him and that he did not need to run anymore. He was welcomed here.

It was the least she could do for Jennifer.

-----

Taylor went into the kitchen at dawn. He took a clean white starched apron from the peg and tied it on, ready for the new day. His wife was a real treasure, however busy she was, she always managed to ensure he had his nice clean aprons. She knew how much he liked them.

"Ahh, another surprise from the boy," he smiled to himself as he saw the laden table.

He was always bringing things he caught or found in the woods.

"The woods belong to the Lady of the house and so does it's bounty," he had said once.

Jace only wanted a little home cooked food for his troubles, like Cook's delicious Shepard's pie or his wife's 'killer' cookies, as he calls them. They were to die for. There were two skinned, cleaned rabbits and a large bowl of fresh strawberries holding down a note. Cook took the note and shook his head sadly as he read it.

His wife came bustling in. She was smiling in anticipation, she loved the boy's surprises.

"What has that rascal brought us today?"

She was in a good mood. She clapped her hands in delight when she spied the table.

"Another bowl of fresh berries from his secret stash!" she exclaimed. I will get the location out of him the next time I see him, she promised herself. She was planning to make a fresh batch of his favourite cookies today. She had really grown fond of him, that rascal. She smiled to herself.

Taylor looked at his wife. "Please sit down love."

She stopped startled. "What's wrong dear? Are you ill?"

He looked troubled. He took a deep breath before telling his wife the bad news.

"He is gone love. He left this for us."

He handed her the note. She took one look and sat down abruptly.

"He is gone? But he didn't even say goodbye."

A tear rolled down her cheek.

"He said goodbye in the note. There, there love. It will be alright. He will be back," Cook patted his wife gently trying to console her.

In the short time they had known Jace, he had brightened up their lives. He had visited them often in the kitchen, sometimes just to bring them some colourful wild flowers he had gathered on his walks. He was using them as bribes for more cookies, he had explained to Taylor with a wink. He had refused free meals, instead insisting on paying for them by helping with odd jobs around the house. They would miss him.

She looked up from the note, "The rascal left a map to the strawberry patch," she said pointing to the big X on the paper and burst into tears.

-----

Jace and Ash sat in a large crowded auditorium. They had passed through security check at the main foyer. Entry into the auditorium was allowed only to those who were invited. The Invitation Codes had been sent via email earlier and had to be keyed in upon entry. One player, one code. No Code, no entry, simple.

They looked around. There were so many people. Although most seats were already taken up, there were still more people pouring in through the entrance behind them. The air was charged with excitement. Everyone was buzzing. In a few moments, the Head of the Project was to make his opening remarks on stage. Right now there were technicians fussing on the well-lighted stage and in the wings.

Ash nudged Jace. "You would have thought they have had everything set up by now now." Jace grinned in response.

In a few minutes, the last stragglers were ushered in and the large double doors were closed. The lights were dimmed. Several figures walked on stage. A short portly man went directly to the podium. A hush fell over the crowd in anticipation.

"Welcome participants! I am Mr.Lambert the Head of the Orc Wars Project," he said in greeting to the crowd. "Now that we have got that out of the way ..." he paused smiling broadly as laughter burst out from the audience interrupting him "... congratulations on making it this far. As you all are aware a new game was rolled out by our company several months ago. You were among the hundreds of thousands Beta testers who played the Orc Wars and helped us refine it with your invaluable feedback."

Catcalls sounded. "Thank you, thank you." General laughter sounded. Then he suddenly thundered into the microphone. "Now give yourselves a big hand! You are here because you are among the top ten per cent scorers! And you have accepted our invitation to join us in our next journey."

He stopped as thunderous applause washed over him. When the noise subsided, he indicated a tall attractive woman who was waiting her turn.

"Everyone, it is my pleasure to introduce without further delay Ms.Nadine, Director of the Virtual Reality Division." He stepped down respectfully to another thunderous applause.

Ms.Nadine paused dramatically catching their full attention before speaking. She was a beautiful woman with an equally beautiful contralto voice.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Orc Wars program," she paused again to smile. "I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for your participation in advance because some of you will be here longer than others. Sadly, some of you will be gone by next week."

She got them now, everyone was rapt with attention.

"The first thing you should be aware of is that you were all being recorded the minute you walked in through the doors of Simtrixx." She eyed them as an uneasy low rumble started.

"Yes, every single one of you ... and we will continue to record until you choose to leave or are eliminated from the Game. This is a reality show and we will document your every move both in real life and in virtual for editing and airtime."

Jace groaned but kept a poker face, newly aware of the hidden cameras. Ash grimaced at the invasion of privacy.

"This is a reality game show featuring mainly the characters you will create. Your real selves will not be featured and if so only minimally. Do not be disillusioned, we will be using you, your gaming skills and your avatar's journey to promote our company and the Game which will be made available online and in stores soon. Those who buy or download the Game will get to play in the usual MMORPG mode. The Virtual Reality mode is exclusively catered for the Reality series Simtrixx is hosting. This VRMMORPG is what all of you will be experiencing here."

Nadine drew a breath and continued, "It is inevitable that those of you who deserve it, who strive to achieve the goals of the Game and save your virtual world from the Orc hordes, will achieve fame and fortune ... both ingame and in real life."

She raised her voice. "Follow the rules, get the audience to like and vote for your character. You must strive to survive snd stay in the Game. Find a home, raise your army and rise up against the Orc hordes which have descended and taken over your homeland."

A roar went up in the crowd. They were raring to go.

"However ..." she stopped to take a sip of water, "you may still leave freely at this point if you do not agree with certain terms of the show's contract. No forfeits or repercussions at this point. Your participation will require certain sacrifices on your part and agreement to a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Leave now and you are free to go, leave after you sign our contract and you are still free to go. Just keep your mouth shut or we will sue you."

"This is after all an entertainment business and we have many competitors. The contracts will be given to each of you in the hall where you will proceed after this. Read through it carefully and sign it only if you agree to our terms."

An angry murmuring started in the hall.

"You can leave now if you want to ... but," and she held up a slender hand, the crown quietened to hear her next words "if you do, I promise you will regret missing this chance to be part of gaming history."

"As promised, you will be provided free food and lodgings whilst you are here and ... you will be paid a hundred dollars for every day you survive the Games."

"Ladies and gentlemen, the last avatar standing in Season One will win One hundred thousand dollars and bragging rights." A loud cheer went up.

"Ms. Nadine, can you give us an example of the sacrifice we have to make?" a voice called out. She turned to locate the voice. Ah, there, a young woman.

"Well, in the beginning of the Season, you will be allowed out to go back to your families and such during weekends ... however as the Game progresses, you will have to stay in the Games complex until this season is over. This was stated in the invitation so those who are interested but have commitments can make the necessary arrangements." A few people were nodding in the seats.

"No disclosure of any facet of what happens during the Game, any plot or characters to anyone or you will forfeit. This includes friends, family and especially the media ... any type of media including the internet. Any proof of insider information leaked will be considered cheating and be rewarded with disqualification and a possible legal suit. This is because there will be on-going contests for our viewers to promote your characters, quests, predicaments and ensure votes."

She eyed them. "As I have said, get the viewers to like you, sympathize with you and most importantly, vote for you. Stay in the Game as long as you can. The longer you stay in the Game and the more votes you get, the more rewards you will get. Viewer votes decree your weekly fate and count for eighty per cent. The balance is controlled by the Games board and management."

"What is our compensation for being cooped up here?" a man asked belligerently.

"Fame, fortune and immortality!" She quipped and stepped down as the crowd erupted.

"Settle down, settle down everyone," Mr Lambert had the floor again.

"More will be disclosed in the next hall if you accept the terms and conditions of our contract. You have until this evening to make up your minds. Cut off time is at six. No one else will be accepted for the Games for Season One after that."

He stayed to answer more questions as the rest of the team went off stage. Slowly the crowd dissipated as potential players went over to the indicated room down a long hall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

373 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
12.1K 294 16
[ But the heart wants what it wants ] ______________________________________ *ON GOING* Kristy was a human girl. Until she wasn't anymore. At the age...
907 91 22
"Our entire lives led us to this moment, only for us to lose in the end. We aren't a team, a family, we never were. We are just a bunch of puzzle pie...
Renegade By Paula

Paranormal

4.5K 415 39
Fourteen years ago, a teenage girl accidentally set her friends and a store on fire. Today, every ability-wielder is tested, categorized and closely...