Paris Adieu #featured #Wattys...

By RozsaGaston

Ava Fodor, a slightly plump, frizzy-haired nineteen-year-old American au pair in Paris struggles with being l... More

Chapter 1 - Escape
Chapter 2 - Au Pair in Paris
Chapter 3 - Springtime in Paris
Chapter 4 - Fake it Till You Make it
Chapter 5 - Le Petit Cochon (The Little Pig)
Chapter 6 - Paris Four Years Later
Chapter 7 - Anna Karenina Understood
Chapter 8 - Life in the Present Moment
Chapter 9 - Paris Five Years Later
Chapter 10 - Mad Summer Night
Chapter 11-Huitres à Volonté (All-You-Can-Eat Oysters)
Chapter 12 - La France Profonde
Chapter 13 - Crazy Love (L'Amour a la Folie)
Chapter 15 - La Décision
Chapter 16 - Being Where I Belong

Chapter 14 - Je T'adore, Je T'aime (I Adore You, I Love You)

18 2 0
By RozsaGaston

Two weeks later, Arnaud set off on his next assignment, back to Vietnam. While he was away, business picked up even more at Teddy's. Paris's fall season was in full swing. My performances had been expanded to a weekend night too, usually Fridays, now my Blue Cactus Friday evening gig was over. I'd begun to weave in a few original songs to my evening repertoire, not that anyone cared. The crowd still clamored for the old standbys, the more sentimental the better. My visions of being the next Laurie Anderson were in constant conflict with the only way I gained recognition at my job – giving in to requests for crowd-pleasing, tearjerker old standards. My performing career featured endless nightly compromise, but I consoled myself that at least I was working in my field, rather than office temping or waiting on tables.

Soon cloudless, warm October days gave way to iron-gray, rainy, cold November ones. The memory of Paris's long, drab winter the year I'd turned twenty returned to me. Paris was nowhere near as cold as New York, but its skies were unrelentingly gray during the winter season, unlike the azure-blue brilliance of certain New York days in early winter. November to March in Paris was like one long month of February in New York.

Almost every day, I walked in Père Lachaise, where Arnaud and I had frequently strolled the month before. I began to notice the regulars who frequented the area: dog-walkers, couples, and lone walkers. All of us seemed shrouded in private thoughts – the cemetery a perfect backdrop for our self-reflection.

Upon entering the main gates late one gloomy, gray Friday morning I spotted a notice affixed to the lamppost next to the entrance. A print of a painting of a sharp-faced, aristocratic looking man announced an artist's opening exhibit at a local gallery the following day, Saturday, November fifteenth. Startled, I realized a month had already passed since Arnaud had left. Even more shocked, I realized I hadn't thought about him very much over the past few days.

I examined the poster more closely. The man's petulant expression was similar to the way Arnaud looked at times. Almost guiltily, I admitted to myself I didn't like that side of him at all. It reminded me of the sharp-featured, beautiful woman in the photo in his country home. I didn't like her either. Suddenly, it made sense to me why he'd spoken of her as his mentor. They were most likely two of a kind – all angles, questions, and sharp edges. For the first time, I gave myself permission to accept how very different Arnaud was from me. I loved learning from him. But I wasn't like him at all. Why was I trying so hard to fit into the image of a woman he might fall in love with?

I continued on my way into the cemetery, where I passed the next hour deep in self-examination. À chacun son goût, to each his own taste, Arnaud had said. On my own, without him around, I was free to explore what my own tastes were.

I picked my way among the monuments and gravestones, mulling over the possibility that my own choices might differ from the man I was involved with. My thoughts were subversive. My mind tingled and raced. I was falling in love with a new person.

Myself.

As I made my way down the main boulevard toward the exit, a tall, lean-faced man walked toward me. His gait was awkward, as if he was just renting space in his own body and wasn't quite familiar with it.

As he passed, his eyes briefly made contact with mine. They were warm, strangely reassuring. Instantly, I felt a connection. Whoever he was, he wasn't polished, smooth, one hundred per cent self-sufficient and perfectly packaged like most Parisians appeared to be, foremost among them – Arnaud. This stranger seemed a bit out of his element, interested to reach out. He hadn't yet arrived, I'd guess. Just like me.

I shivered, hurrying on to escape my illicit thoughts. I was crazy about Arnaud's blue-green eyes. Why had I even noticed for a moment the warm, brown eyes of a stranger? Shaking my head to clear it from conjecture's cobwebs, I berated myself. Yet the thought remained. Arnaud's glance didn't reassure me. It was exciting, electrifying – but rarely reassuring. Was that what I really wanted out of a relationship with a man?

At Teddy's that evening, I mulled over my tiny mental betrayal of my lover as I finished my first set. Arnaud had been gone too long, that was all. I was lonely and just a bit fed up with our constant separations. Everything would be fine once he got back.

"Was that a Sade song you were playing?" a voice asked.

I looked up. Startled, my stomach churned as if a ghost stood before me.

It was the man from Père Lachaise that afternoon. Speechless, I couldn't reply.

"Was that Sade you were just playing?" he repeated, referring to the low-voiced, low-profile English singer of African origin who'd burst onto the pop music scene in the late 1980s, then disappeared, after three award-winning albums. She was one of my favorites, both for her spare song-writing style and sultry, mystery-laden voice.

"No. That was my own."

His English was good, with a slight French accent.

"You mean you wrote it?"

"Yes." My heart fluttered.

"What's it called?"

"Method and Madness." I was used to being ogled; admired for idiotic, exterior things like my hats or my Hungarian cheekbones that didn't seem intrinsically a part of me. My songs were.

"Method and Madness?"

"Yes."

He stepped back, cocking his head.

Mentally, I did the same. His hair was wavy and full, darker than Arnaud's. His face was less perfect in its proportions, a slightly too-long, too-thin nose and sharply angled cheekbones that jutted out so far they made the lower half of his narrow face look gaunt.

"Can you explain it to me?"

I smiled. "An artist shouldn't explain her creation. It's enough to just create it."

"You're right. It's enough just the way it is." He paused, looking at me gravely, nothing like the outrageous, joking but flirtatious way Arnaud had pushed himself into my life. "But I want to know more."

"Why?" I was pleased. Someone was actually asking about my original music. Not about where I was from, my astrological sign, or my availability for a drink later that evening. Although that might come.

"Because I'm a mathematician."

"Oh?" Now that was interesting. I'd never met a real mathematician before. "What kind of math do you do? – or – uh – study?" I wasn't sure if mathematicians did things or just studied them. Maybe he taught.

"I'm working on a project to define M."

"To define M? What's M?" It sounded like a good name for the kinds of songs I wrote.

"Bahh – ." His long, angular body shifted, while his large hands gestured in the air, cryptic and vague, as if engaged in a sign language neither he nor I could understand. "I can't really explain it."

I laughed. "That's exactly how it is with my own songs. I can't really explain them. You either like listening to them or you don't."

"I do." Hemming and hawing, his hands still attempting to define M in the air around him, he stood there looking gawky and interesting.

So what are you going to do about it, buddy? The minute the thought crossed my mind I knew how very American I was to the core. I'd never be French.

A French person wouldn't feel the need to do anything after engaging in a flirtatious exchange. He or she would just let it happen. An American would feel a categorical imperative to follow up.

Frenchmen flirted with women everywhere all the time. Married men flirted with married women, gay men passed compliments to straight women, and women critically eyeballed other women (in Paris that's a big compliment). In France, it was all about the journey, not the destination.

American men flirted in order to get somewhere. They spent a lot of time rounding bases on their way to home plate. It was all about scoring – or at least thinking about scoring. French men didn't seem to interact with the opposite sex in those terms. They knew how to be here now. Or at least they knew better than American men how to be here now.

But the tall, awkward mathematician wasn't doing anything about us being there then, to my vexation.

"Good," I said in response to his appreciation of my original music. I got up and smartly disappeared into the dressing room behind the bar. There was no way I was going to help him make a next move. He'd have to figure it out all on his own. Anyway, I wasn't available, I reminded myself. Then, I scolded myself that I'd needed reminding.

When I came out, he was gone. Telling myself I could care less, I began my next set with Rodgers and Hammerstein's "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair."

The next afternoon, Arnaud called, surprising me. He never called when he was away.

"Minou, how are you?"

"I'm fine, darling. How are you?"

"Missing you." Something must have really gone wrong out there in Indochina. This was a first. "Are you missing me, too?"

"Sure I miss you," I lied. I'd thought about how his blue-green eyes didn't really reassure me, which far from qualified as missing him. "Why are you calling?" I asked, straight-to-the-point.

"Minou, could you do me a favor?"

"Of course. What is it?" Why had I said "Of course?" What was I , his wife? Non. His hired assistant? Mais, non. A naïve American chick? Certainement non.

"My friend Pierre is in Paris. He's staying at my place. I told him about you, and he wants to hear your music. Just be nice to him if he turns up.

"Who's your friend, Pierre?" I asked, pleased to know Arnaud had mentioned me to his friends. I'd never met any of them thus far.

"He's an old school friend."

"You mean from the military academy – Saint Cyr?"

"C'est ça. That's it. He's a little weird, but you'll like him."

"How is he weird?"

"He's what you Americans refer to as a geek."

"How so?" I felt ready to defend the geek, whoever he was. There were times when I found Arnaud just a tad too polished, too smooth. Like when he was sliding in and out of my life on yet another assignment to somewhere I wasn't invited to join him.

"You'll see when you meet him."

"How's that going to happen?"

"I told him what nights you play at Teddy's. He said he'll drop by."

"How is it out there?" I asked, careful to conceal how happy I was someone had expressed interest in hearing my own music.

"It's hot. Affreusement mouillé. Horribly humid."

"And how's the assignment going?"

"Slow, darling. Very slow and unexciting." A pause. "Like Pierre, I'm afraid."

"Then why are you sending him my way?" I asked, irritated.

"I told him you write songs. He asked what kind, and I said I couldn't really explain, he should just go and hear you perform."

"Okay, I'll look out for him," I replied, irked that Arnaud hadn't been able to come up with a single adjective to describe to his friend what kinds of songs I wrote. My articulate, intelligent boyfriend had been completely incapable of a single description of my creative work. A small balloon popped amongst the cluster I held in my heart to celebrate our love.

"I'll see you when I get back, ma chère."

It was as if he'd said, "take care of yourself." Just something to say, with no meaning or commitment attached to it at all. I tried not to be disappointed, as another balloon burst.

"See you then," I responded, just a bit coldly.

"Je t'adore." That was better. My heart sang. His words sounded so romantic, so French. What American man would tell his girlfriend he adores her on a regular basis?

"Moi aussi. Me too. Au revoir," I answered and hung up.

That evening at Teddy's I didn't look up when a piece of paper fluttered into my tip jar. Why bother, if it wasn't accompanied by currency? A working musician's cynicism took over when I was on the job. It was just another gig after all, meaning I wanted to get paid for it, tips welcomed. When I finished the piece I was playing, I unfolded it.

"Method and Madness, s'il vous plaît, please."

I glanced around the room, my eyes focusing in the dim, smoky light.

In the corner, the man from the evening before nodded.

He was back!

A tiny, naughty thought crossed my mind. Then, it got worse.

Launching into Method and Madness, I lost myself in my latest composition. In the middle section, or the bridge, I extended the instrumental riff for extra drama. Caught up in the genius of my solo, I was startled when my boss's face suddenly loomed before me.

"Ava, could you play something everyone knows?" he whispered. It was the first time he'd ever commented on my song selections. Blood rushed to my head as I tried to prevent my cheeks from flaming. How dare he direct me back to yet another base, inferior top-40 cover tune? I was playing my own music for God's sake, something that would one day be famous!

"I'm playing a request right now," I hissed.

"That's great, but no one's ever heard of it. Could you play Careless Whisper again?"

I felt like gagging. It was my employer's favorite English pop song, one of the only ones he knew. I'd heard it one too many times to be able to enjoy playing it anymore. It was as if my boss had just asked me to toss out the vintage Mouton Lafitte Rothschild in his glass and refill it with Boone's Farm strawberry wine.

"Sure. As soon as I'm finished with this one," I snarled back. I needed to stand up for myself. But I also needed to eat and to earn a living in order to retain some independence from Arnaud.

Why did I need to do that when the man adored me? Because I just did, that was all. An artist didn't need to explain herself.

My eyes wandered back to the man sitting in the corner. He wasn't particularly good looking. But I liked the way he listened intently as I played my song. He seemed earnest, more like an American than a Frenchman. French men were all about smooth moves or suavity. They had it in spades. They practically majored in it back at lycée or high school.

The guy in the corner was now scribbling something on a cocktail napkin. For several seconds, I studied him as I launched into the dramatic opening riff of Teddy's request. It was nice not to be the star of whatever thoughts the stranger in the corner was caught up in at that moment.

Yet I wanted to know what they were. All of them.

By the end of Careless Whisper, the mathematician hadn't looked up once. Meanwhile, I received the first tiny, barely audible round of applause of the evening.

It seemed like a good time to take a break. Ignoring all my rules for la chasse, the hunt, I went over to the stranger's table in the corner and sat.

He continued to scribble on the cocktail napkin.

The more he concentrated, the more intrigued I became.

Finally, he looked up.

"Bon soir, Ava," he said.

"How did you know my name?" I asked, surprised.

His eyes danced. "Ça va, ce soir? How are you this evening?" He eluded my question, the first smooth move I'd seen him make yet.

"Ça va très bien, merci. I'm fine, thank you. And who would like to know, may I ask?"

"Ahh, excusez-moi. I am Pierre Castel. A friend of Arnaud de Saint Cyr. Enchanté." He put out his hand to shake mine, American style.

"You're Pierre?" Incredulous, I pushed back from the table. This was Pierre? Arnaud had described him as slow and unexciting.

Not in my book.

"Oui. I am Pierre. And you are Ava. From New York, non?"

"Yes. Are you – I mean you are – you're Arnaud's friend from childhood?"

"We went to school together."

"To the military academy?" One of the few things Arnaud had told me about his past was that he'd spent time at a military academy that shared his name. When I'd asked if there was a family connection, he'd changed the subject.

"Yes."

"How fascinating. Does that mean Arnaud is some sort of – army officer in France?"

"Bah, non, pas exactement." He cleared his throat. "Arnaud did not complete his studies at Saint Cyr. He moved in another direction."

That didn't surprise me. He'd probably dropped out. Or been thrown out. His outsized personality would definitely have gotten him tossed out of a boarding school back home. Nothing about Arnaud suggested "team player."

"So does that mean you're an army officer?"

"Justement. Exactly."

Now, I was in big trouble. I'd spent my entire life categorically rejecting every tenet of my grandmother's value system. Yet here I was melting on the floor upon hearing the man sitting across from me was a military officer. I could have kicked myself, except I was too busy soaking up Pierre Castel. What would he look like in his military uniform? Would it have epaulets? Badges? Or was that for Boy Scouts? Medals, perhaps? Would there be a large hat with a horsehair plume on top?

I shivered involuntarily. My grandmother's voice sang in my ear. Play your cards right, Ava. And for God's sake get that hair out of your face.

"Huh. Did you actually fight a war somewhere?"

"Non. France is not fond of making wars at this time in history." He smiled, delicately refraining from mentioning other countries by name that were.

"I see. So what exactly is the French military fond of doing at this time?" Horseback riding? Fencing? Interbreeding with the locals? I was all ears.

He smiled. "Do you really want to know?'

"Mais, oui, bien sûr. But yes, of course," I said, exactly as I'd heard the French say when they found something strongly interesting.

"Then, why don't you join me tomorrow at my military canteen for lunch?"

"Lunch at a military canteen?" I was dumbfounded. No one had ever asked me on a date to a military canteen before. It sounded unappealing, but in the interest of getting to know Pierre Castel better, I could put up with a single, army-issue meal.

"Yes. There's one here in Paris, not far from Arnaud's place. I invite you."

"Bah..." I thought I'd try out the French 'bah' expression to at least pretend I was playing hard to get. Then I remembered. I was Arnaud's girlfriend. This couldn't possibly be a date. It was just some sort of friendly lunch, since we both knew Arnaud and were at loose ends while he was out of town. "Well ... all right."

"Très bien. I'll pick you up at half past twelve, tomorrow. Where do I find you?"

Pierre was getting smoother by the minute. Slow and unexciting? How well did Arnaud know his childhood friend? And how well did he think he knew me? On both counts, a tad too smug in his judgments, I thought.

"I'm here. I live in the apartment above Teddy's," I burst out, before remembering I was a woman of mystique.

"Good," he responded, smiling.

"Why didn't you tell me who you were last night?" I demanded.

"Je m'excuse, Ava," His smile widened, his expression sincere. "I just got caught up in – in your music."

Hmm. Just as I was getting caught up in his geekiness or earnestness or something.

The manager caught my eye and tapped his watch.

"I've got to go, Pierre. My last set."

"I've got to go, too. See you here tomorrow, half past twelve?"

"Not here. Go to the door around the corner to the left of the front entrance. You'll see it. There's a little lantern outside. I'm at the top of the stairs on the first floor if I'm not downstairs already. Just knock."

"I'll find you."

"Bon. A demain. Till tomorrow."

"A demain, Ava." He stood as I rose from the table, giving me a taste of military manners. All the geeky awkwardness of him from the night before had melted away. He stood erect, practically saluting, as I passed on my way to the piano.

That night, I wrestled with my grandmother's angel before falling asleep. Memories of our neighbor Chip Hopkins, leaving for Naval Reserve weekends from his house across the street from us in West Hartford, filled my head. Once every three months or so, Mr. Hopkins would emerge from his house on a Friday afternoon wearing a crisp white jacket and trousers. Gold buttons, medals and gold and black trim decorated the front of his U.S. Navy Reserve jacket as he marched down the front steps. His blonde, slim, athletic wife Poppy would follow behind, practically bursting with admiration. She'd fuss over him, hand him his regulation duffle bag, affix his white cap on his head, then hug and kiss him a few times, making a huge public display of affection. My grandmother soaked this up in vicarious delight, as she spied on them from the couch next to the large, bay window in our living room.

"There's Chip going off on his reserve weekend. Poppy is one lucky woman to have a husband like that," my grandmother would sigh. Unlike me, every pore in her body would silently exhale. "Look at him in his uniform, Ava. Have you ever seen such a fine figure of a man? Too bad you couldn't have had a father like that." My grandmother knew how to drive home a point.

She'd swoon and moon over Chip, as he got into his Ford Falcon and drove off. Lithe, blonde, and suntanned Poppy in lime-green culottes would wave and blow kisses goodbye then turn to check on her flower beds. Poppy was one of those perpetually tanned athletic West Hartford ladies. She and Chip played tennis at their club. They'd drive off on Chip's Vespa in their white tennis outfits, rackets stashed behind. They appeared to spend all of their time playing tennis or gardening when not tending to their three children, all of whom enjoyed effortless super-WASPy looks. The entire family had good hair.

I'd secretly disliked the Hopkins, whom I'd renamed the Snotkins. They weren't actually snotty, it's just that they pretty much represented every snotty value my grandmother possessed in her large repertoire of discriminatory and unfair social class distinctions. They were the 'It' family in her book, and we were the 'Not Its'.

However, I couldn't help but admire the white jacket Chip Hopkins wore on Navy Reserve days. It was an uncontrollable attraction in direct contradiction to my knee-jerk opposition to anything my grandmother stood for.

Sleep eluded me as speculations on Pierre intermingled with thoughts of Arnaud. As I drifted off, our phone conversation came to mind.

"See you when I get back" hadn't exactly thrilled my heart, but "je t'adore" had. Back to back, his two final lines had bewildered me. If a guy I was dating back in New York had finished a long-distance phone conversation with 'see you when I get back', I'd have taken it as a sign I was free to do what I liked in the interim. Yet, he'd finished off with "je t'adore." That meant he loved me, right? A little angry with him to have left me in such a confused state, I fell asleep.

The next day, Pierre picked me up on time, French-style. That is to say, ten minutes late. We set off for the military canteen. I'd opted for simple elegance in the form of a navy blue dress with scooped neckline. I'd added a red and white scarf, to match the colors of the French flag, along with the American one. Women in Paris dressed up to go to the market or take their small dogs out on the sidewalk for morning ablutions, so I wasn't taking any chances just because we were going to a military canteen. No Parisian woman would be caught dead in combat wear, unless it was the height of fashion chic that season.

We took the metro to Gare St. Lazare, a large train station centrally located on Paris's right bank, then walked three blocks, until we arrived at a large, distinguished looking building on boulevard Haussmann. Over the entrance Le Cercle National des Armées was etched in marble.

As we walked up the broad front steps, I felt my grandmother's cane prod the small of my back, as she'd done so many times on our walks around West Hill Drive. Stand up straight, Ava. Posture tells the world who you are.

Inside, paintings and photographs of famous French military figures lined the walls of the large foyer. I wanted to linger, but quickly we were ushered into a large and ornate dining room with twelve foot ceilings. The maitre d' handed us each leather-bound lunch menus announcing the set menu of the day. No ordering was required other than drinks. In a minute, sparkling water arrived, followed by soup, a main course of cuisses de canard, duck thighs, in orange sauce accompanied by haricots verts or tiny string beans, then salad, cheese, and dessert. It was a meal fit for royalty. We talked nonstop about music, math, Paris, and New York, where Pierre had once delivered a presentation at the City University of New York's graduate studies math department. Over the next hour and a half, Arnaud's name never once came up.

When it was time to go, Pierre signed the check, while I looked around the dining room. The couple next to us had recently sat down. They held hands across the table. The man leaned forward, his eyes gazing adoringly into the woman's. She was petite, dark, with short, straight precision-cut dark brown hair and expertly penciled-in eyebrows. My senses sharpened to their obvious regard for each other, my ears picking up their conversation.

"Je t'adore, cherie," I overheard, warmed to hear the same words Arnaud had spoken to me the other day on the phone. The man played with the bangle bracelet on the woman's wrist – a charming scene.

I looked at Pierre. His mouth had formed into a disapproving sort of moue or pout.

"What's wrong?" I whispered. "Don't you think they're cute?" I motioned ever so slightly to the couple next to us, oblivious to everything around them.

"Cute? If that's what you want to call it, yes, I suppose." He shrugged then rose from the table, motioning me toward the garden. In a minute, we were outside, strolling down an allée of plane trees flanking us on both sides like a military wedding guard.

"What was wrong with you back there?" I continued. "It looked like he was about to propose marriage. Wasn't it sweet?"

"He wasn't about to propose marriage, I can tell you that."

"How do you know?" I asked indignantly. What a killjoy. Was Pierre Castel was too much of a geek mathematician to understand romance?

"He wasn't serious about her."

"How do you know that?" I repeated. What was he, a body-language expert or something?

"Because of the way he spoke to her."

"What do you mean? He told her he adored her. Didn't you see the way he was smiling at her?"

"Précisement. That means he's not serious."

I stared at Pierre.

"How so?"

"If he was serious, he would have said je t'aime, I love you. And he wouldn't have smiled. But he said je t'adore. There's a difference."

"What's the difference?" I kept my eyes on the path, unable to meet Pierre's gaze.

"One means I love you. The other means 'I think you're adorable.'"

"Doesn't it also mean something like 'I love you'?"

"Not really. It's what a man says when he's not serious about a woman."

My blood froze. Je t'adore sounded so serious. So adoring. How could it mean something less than the way it sounded?

"It is? But what about the way he was looking at her? He was practically beaming."

"A man doesn't smile like a hyena when he's telling a woman he loves her. It's a serious statement. You don't smile when you are trying to show someone you are serious, responsible, do you?"

I remembered Arnaud saying je t'adore to me. Had he smiled? Yes. Not unlike the way the man at the table next to us had smiled at his girlfriend.

"But the way he was smiling at her looked like he was crazy about her," I protested.

"Exactly. Je t'adore means he's crazy about her. Don't misunderstand. It means he likes her a lot. It just doesn't mean he loves her. In fact, he definitely doesn't, because he wouldn't say je t'adore if he really meant je t'aime."

"Well thanks for clearing that up." Something pinged inside my chest. Another balloon popping.

"You're welcome. I'm happy to explain to you the difference. It's an important one for a woman to know."

So he did care about romance, and about a woman not getting her heart broken. Did he have any idea what state my own heart was in at that moment?

"So, just to clarify, do you think a je t'adore sort of relationship ever turns into a je t'aime kind of one?" I hoped I didn't sound too interested to hear his response. It's just that I needed to know. Immediately.

He shook his head. "Not likely."

"Why not?"

"Because a man who says je t'adore to a woman without ever saying je t'aime is letting her know the relationship isn't on the serious track."

"Huh." There was so much to absorb, I couldn't do more than walk in silence for the next few minutes. "So then, how does the woman let the man know she is on the serious track? I mean if he's already said je t'adore to her. Like a number of times, say."

"Then she should dump him, I think you Americans say."

"Just like that?"

"After he's said it to her a few times, she needs to either confront him or just drop him."

"Oh." I had a lot to think about.

"Why do you ask?" he probed. Pierre Castel appeared to know something about romance after all. Talking to him was as easy as having a gabfest with my singer/actress girlfriend, Jessica, back in New York.

"Oh well – I just know someone who –"

"Who said je t'adore to you?"

"No! I mean I know a girl – I have a girlfriend, I mean – who told me her boyfriend always says je t'adore to her whenever they say goodbye."

"So, she knows where she stands."

"Uh, I'm not so sure about that."

"I'm sure she does. If she didn't, she wouldn't keep seeing him."

"Well maybe she's still seeing him because there's no je t'aime kind of guy in her life at the moment."

"When he comes along, she'll dump the first one."

"I like your certainty."

"I like your smart questions."

"I like your answers."

"I like your songs."

"I like you," What had I said? " – in your jacket," I added quickly. Pierre wore an officer's jacket, dark blue with red trim. He looked dashing, as well as geeky and earnest. It was an adorable combination, except now I was suspicious of using the term 'adorable' in French in any context. I would ban it from my vocabulary until I figured out what it really meant.

"I like you," he responded, no qualifiers attached.

I was glad.

"But you don't adore me, right?" It felt good to get such a point straight from the start. Although this wasn't a start really, it was just the start of a friendship. Or something. Whatever it was, it felt genuine.

"Right." He smiled.

We continued on our walk – I, more grown up than I had been minutes earlier, and he, lost in whatever private thoughts he was having. Perhaps about mathematics. Probably about me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 248 73
"You have no idea how badly I want to make love to you," he responds with a shake of his head. "I love you so much," he continues and my heart melts...
78.6K 3K 24
When 23 year old Ava Monroe decides to abandon her life in America and move to Italy for as long as her heart desires, all she wants is to start and...
1.1M 33.2K 34
Ava Asherwood is weaving through her postpartum journey with her little baby boy just barely. Her mental and emotional health have been destroyed by...
451 3 30
Ava just came back from Greece as she decides to continue highschool back home with her bestfriends. She later on meets someone who makes her see a w...