Beautiful When You Don't Try...

By shaneisney

Prompt: It's been seven years since graduation and Lauren Jauregui is a highly popular and in demand photogra... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110

Chapter 3

22.7K 641 179
By shaneisney

A/N: I hope you continue to enjoy this fic.

~/~/~/~

Lauren set her camera down on the table and walked over to help Camila up. The diva reached out with both hands and as they connected with Lauren's she realized how sweaty they were. As she pulled against the brunette to stand, her hand slipped, and she fell back to her sitting position, pulling Lauren with her. The photographer, fearful of stepping on the massive suit of the dress, kept her feet in place and leaned forward to catch her weight on the steps, one hand on each side of the diva.

Camila's breath caught again as she and Lauren found themselves an inch away from each other's face, their eyes locked and breath panting from the sudden, unexpected movements. Camila could feel the warmth radiating off of the brunette and the scent of her hair in her nose. It was all so familiar to her. Lauren only stayed there for a second before pushing herself up. "Sorry. I lost my balance and didn't want to step on the dress."

"No. No. It's fine. I understand. I'm sorry, my hands slipped. I must have had them cupped and they sweated. It's my fault."

Lauren offered the diva her hands again, this time with success at standing. As the brunette pivoted, still holding one of Camila's hands for balance, the diva suddenly noticed the other people in the room. The whole time she had been so focused on Lauren that she had forgotten about them. She didn't see them or hear them, despite her excellent hearing and their myriad of voices echoing off of the barren walls. She had been oblivious.

The diva was also oblivious to the fact she had yet to let go of Lauren's hand after they had reached the computer and stopped moving. It was only when Lauren needed to use both hands that they broke apart. Camila could feel the blush spreading over her face and hoped the heavy makeup was enough to cover it. It also didn't help that Kim's eyes kept bouncing from the screen she was suppose to be looking at and her idol.

Once again Lauren's timing was godsend and she snapped her fingers in her assistant's face and pointed her attention back to the screen. "We all know she is talented and beautiful, you don't need to keep staring at her." Kim ducked her head in a nod and fixed her eyes to the photos. Camila fanned herself as another heat wave rushed over her. Beautiful.

"I love this one." Kim gushed, pointing to the screen with her index finger. "The intensity in her eyes...it's as if she's seeing right through the camera to you."

Lauren shifted so Camila could see the picture and the diva nearly gasped. Kim was right. Camila had taken thousands, if not tens of thousands, of photos but never one that seemed so real, so alive. The emotion in her eyes made the rest of the shot a blur. There was nothing else that compared to draw her attention away.

"That was one of the last ones we shot." Lauren noted, clicking back to the beginning and shuffled through them sequentially.

Camila saw the dozens of photos of herself as the passed, each one a bit more relaxed, another step closer to having that life in her eyes. She was playing back her memories of the shoot but couldn't remember half of the poses she was seeing before her now. Her attention had been to wrapped up in Lauren and her passion. "I didn't even realize you had taken so many."

"Like I said, every frame is something new. Something more. The more you take, the more likely you are to catch what it is you are looking for."

"And did you?"

Lauren met Camila's eyes in a silence that lasted just a second longer than it should have. "I do believe I have."

Camila pressed her hands to the bodice of the dress and inhaled deeply, hoping for relief from the heat. Every time their eyes met or Lauren spoke with a certain confidence, she ignited. "So, are we done with this dress then? As beautiful as it is, I do believe I would have an easier time breathing out of it."

"Of course." Lauren looked to Kim who guided the diva back to one of only two rooms on the entire floor of the building while she continued examining her work. She was so lost in the pictures that she didn't hear when Kim once again approach and jumped at the suddenness of her voice.

"You didn't tell me you went to high school with her!"

She fought to still her now pounding hear beat and sat down in the chair. "You never asked how I knew her. You only asked if I had worked with her or had been told about her. Big difference, you know." Lauren teased.

"But you went to school with her! What was she like? Did you have any classes with her? Had you ever heard her sing? Was she as good then?"

Lauren smiled and bit her bottom lip between her teeth as she reclined back in the chair and listened to the barrage of fanatical and completely unprofessional questions being thrown at her. "Are you going to act like this with every famous person I photograph?"

The brunette stuttered and repositioned her glasses on her face. "No, Ma'am."

Lauren studied the younger girl before her. She was only curious. "You would be safe in saying that Camila Cabello and I were not close friends, though we probably could have been."

"Wh-what stopped you?"

The former head cheerleader shifted her eyes back to the computer screen and sighed at the familiar face it displayed. "A lot of things. Her wardrobe and obnoxious personality. My popularity and insecurities. Typical high school bullshit. I actually tormented her every day. I mean, absolutely humiliated her."

"But you seem so...friendly to her now. Like a natural friendly."

"Seven years was enough time for me to get over myself...and for her to get a stylist to dress her." She could still see her assistant trying to place the Lauren Jauregui she was becoming accustom to in the cruelty slot she was painting for herself. "There is, of course, much more to that story. But the only thing I believe you need to know right now, is that Camila Cabello has always been a star with a phenomenal amount of talent and the drive to get her wherever she wanted to go. She is in true worth of the accolades she is receiving now."

Kim smiled at the praise of her idol and nodded in acceptance.

"Can you check on her? And if she has a dozen hands in her face, tell them all I said to leave."

"Yes, Ma'am."

Lauren watched as the girl left and looked back to the warm chocolate eyes on the screen. Camila Karla Cabello had been the focal point of nearly all of Lauren's regrets in life. Each nickname. Each time she purposefully tried to hurt her. Declining her offer of friendship. Never seeking one out on her own. Letting so much time pass before issuing her apology. The diva had even unknowingly played a part in the downfall of the only serious relationship in Lauren's life. But that was a whole  other story.

"Miss Jauregui?" Kim called as she scurried across the loft.

"Lauren. I told you, just call me Lauren. What do you need? Is everything alright?"

Her assistant pointed back in the direction of wardrobe. "She is asking for you."

Lauren furrowed her brows but moved quickly back to the dressing room. The stylists, hair, and makeup artists were all out side the door. "What's wrong?" She asked anyone who was willing to answer, but received mostly shrugs.

"She just asked us to leave her for a minute until after she talked to you."

She pursed her lips as she knocked on the door and a tiny voice replied that she could enter. The room was full of racks of clothing, shoes, and little tid bits here and there. Mirrors lined the wall across from her while a comfy sofa rested against the same wall as the door. Camila was sitting on the sofa, wrapped in a long white robe.

"You okay?" The diva stood quickly, curving her arms around her body and Lauren instantly knew what the problem was. "Camila, if you aren't comfortable in the outfit we can try another one. I was actually hoping to try a few others out. The dress was set but this portion of the shoot is still up in the air."

"It's not really the outfit. I mean, a bathing suit covers less so that isn't really the problem."

Lauren was a little confused now. "Then what is?"

"I don't mind people looking at beautiful photos of me trying to look 'modern, young, and sexy' but..." She dropped her eyes and Lauren stepped closer to ease her into continuing. "I don't think I can have all these people staring at me while you are trying to take the pictures. 'Sexy' isn't really in my comfort zone." Her voice faded as she finished.

"Okay. Not a problem. Kim!" Camila bit her lips between her teeth and looked away as the younger brunette entered the dressing room and closed the door behind her. "Let everyone know they can go home for the rest of the day. This is going to be a closed session."

Kim hesitated for a moment, making sure she understood correctly. "Yes, Ma'am. Me as well?"

Lauren nodded and the assistant left the room to deliver the message. The brunette took a seat on the sofa and patted for Camila to sit and wait out the crew's departure. "Thank you. I'm sorry that I-"

"Don't apologize." Lauren interrupted. "I understand. It's not like you are saying no to the whole shoot. Just the dozen or so people gawking at you doing it."

The diva laughed lightly. She was still adjusting to this new, relaxed Lauren Jauregui. "What about hair and make up?"

"I was wanting to go with a more natural look anyway. So I can handle that. The hair, I want it loose like it is." Lauren stood up and pulled Camila over to the mirrors to continue. "You have a natural wave to your hair that looks really sexy when it's down." Lauren admitted running her fingers through the dark tresses to make it fall in the desired fashion.

Camilla silently praised whoever handed her the robe because it was concealing the chill bumps cascading down her arms with each graze of Lauren's long fingers against her scalp. Unfortunately, the robe wasn't doing much to hide her lightly heaving chest or her clenched jaw as she tried to swallow the lump in her throat.

Lauren ran her fingers through one last time, rubbing the soft strands between her fingers before dropping them along with her eyes to the makeup. "We just need a little bit of eye makeup to make your eyes really pop." She gently lifted Camila's chin for better lighting. "You have beautiful eyes that can just melt a person. Add some darkness around them and their warmth just pierces you."

Camila took the opportunity to study Lauren's face while she concentrated on her makeup, not where she was actually looking. Lauren may have been complimenting her eyes, but Camilla believed Lauren had the better pair. Her green eyes were mostly green with bursts of light brown, but what Camila loved the most were the dark brown freckles in her right eye.

"Are you dating anyone?" Lauren's eyes snapped to Camila's with the unexpected question. "I'm only asking because you mentioned your ex left four months ago, but you never said anything about a current girlfriend."

"Uh...no. I'm not seeing anyone." Lauren admitted, turning her attention back to Camila's make up. "Are you? You said relationships were few and far between but never said anything about a current one."

Camila smiled at the mirrored question. "No. The last disaster ended a little over a month ago."

The brunette winced. "Disaster, huh?"

"I use to believe that having a relationship with someone whose life mimicked mine would be beneficial. They would understand some of the difficulties of being on stage and the common drawbacks of a relationship with said individual."

Lauren smiled lightly but tried to force it back. "You forgot about how dramatic they can be, didn't you?"

"Just a bit." Camila confessed as Lauren finished and set down the mascara. "Drama, jealousy, and envy...none of which are conducive to a healthy relationship, but are devastating if possessed by both individuals."

"Very true. Let me check and see if the coast is clear."

Camila watched as Lauren leaned her head out the door and returned with an approving smile, opening the door further. "So, what about your ex? Similar problem? Should never date a co-worker?"

Lauren slowed her pace to match Camila's leisurely stroll. There was no rush anymore. No one else's time to consider. "No. Nothing like that. Adrianne was very sure of herself and very sure of her opinion of everyone else. She knew I was gay so she kissed me. She knew I liked her so she pursued me. She knew how everything was going to turn out and there was no convincing her otherwise. I, unfortunately, couldn't keep up with her certainty. I still had past issues holding me back that she felt I should have easily been able to deal with. She lost patients with me. I was taking too long to accept the things she was so easily certain of."

"Everyone moves at their own pace, though."

Lauren nodded with an expectant smile. "Yes. But she knew my pace was the same as hers."

"And so she left you just because you needed more time to deal with past emotional issues?" Camila felt a slight wave of anger. Did this woman not know all of the things Lauren had experienced in her life? An ass of a father, emotional abandonment from her mother, being homeless and then realizing her uber Christian upbringing once again condemned her when she admitted that she was gay.

"No. Not really. That got her a little frustrated but it was more of what the issues was. But that is a story for another time." Lauren quickly stated, closing the conversation and grabbing her camera. "I do believe it is time you learn to become comfortable with that sexy side of yours."

Camila smiled a nervous smile and walked over to the second set; a blank backdrop and a wooden stool. Lauren lifted her camera for a few test shots as Camila removed her robe. She prayed the diva hadn't heard the moan that escaped the back of her throat as she gawked through the lense, felling slightly perverted. This was going to be a long shoot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.6K 1.1K 34
Lauren was a celebrated young director in the industry. She owned a production house where she spent most of her time doing things she loved. Her med...
Moonstone By

Fanfiction

4.3K 213 9
Lauren Jauregui is a photographer living in New York City. Camila Cabello is a dancer who works at a strip club to pay for rent and school. Lauren fi...
440K 9.6K 47
Lauren Jauregui is an intern for a photography company. She was assigned to a project for a runway and her eyes and camera happens to capture the eye...
467K 12.7K 31
Camila Cabello and Lauren Jauregui are two successful woman in two different industries. Camila Cabello is a famous photographer in New York. Her...