Daughter of Azeroth

By ea_carter

❃ MULTIPLE AWARD WINNER ❃ Born in Westfall to a poor family, violet-eyed Idira endures hunger, isolation and... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
PART I | WESTFALL
CAST OF CHARACTERS | WESTFALL
PROLOGUE
01 | WESTFALL
02 | A NEW FRIEND
03 | ORDERS FROM ABOVE
04 | LEAVING HOME
05 | MOONBROOK
06 | A NEW LIFE
07 | POWERFUL MEN ALWAYS GET WHAT THEY WANT
08 | THE DUEL
09 | A DELIVERY
10 | THE WAGER
11 | DREAMS
12 | A PRIESTESS
13 | BLOOD WILL BE SHED FOR THIS
14 | EXPLORATION
15 | VIOLENCE
16 | LESSONS
17 | GOODBYES
18 | A GOOD LIFE
19 | THE VISION
20 | LOVE AFTER WAR
21 | THE ACT OF A HERO
22 | TO CATCH A TROLL
23 | THE FIRST MAGIC
24 | THE MAN IN THE BOOK
25 | THE NEW RESIDENT
26 | A REQUEST
27 | THE STORM
28 | DEVASTATION
29 | THE AFTERMATH
30 | THE BEST MAN IN THE WORLD
31 | TIME IS MONEY, FRIEND
32 | DESOLATION
33 | TIME TO LEAVE
34 | INTO THE DARKNESS
35 | THE NIGHT'S CUTLASS
36 | I'LL FIND YOU IN THE NETHER
37 | GONE TO THE LIGHT
39 | THE CHAMPIONS OF STORMWIND
40 | FREEDOM
41 | SHOW ME
42 | DA LIGHT BE WORKIN' IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS
43 | THE BANK NOTE
44 | IDYLL
45 | NEW FEELINGS
46 | THE DRAGON
47 | A NEW WESTFALL
48 | THE MESSAGE
49 | FROM OUT OF THE NIGHT
50 | LEGION
AUTHOR'S MESSAGE
PART II | STORMWIND & DALARAN
CAST OF CHARACTERS | STORMWIND & DALARAN
51 | THE PIG AND WHISTLE
52 | FRAGMENTS OF MEMORIES
53 | THE TOUCH OF AN ARCHMAGE
54 | I REGRET NOTHING
55 | THE LETTER
56 | FIRST FLIGHT
57 | THE WOMAN IN BLACK
58 | CAN CONJURE BUTTERFLIES
59 | A NEW HOME
60 | NOT LIKE THE REST OF US
61 | THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
62 | A NEW LEADER
63 | YOUR PRESENCE IS UNWELCOME
64 | ARCHIVE DUTY
65 | NOT ONLY A DREAM
66 | A SUMMONS
67 | THE ANOMALY
68 | A DREAM COME TRUE
69 | AN OPEN DOOR
70 | THE FORTRESS
71 | FORBIDDEN
72 | RESTRAINT
73 | THE MAN NOT THE ARCHMAGE
74 | THE BEST BOOK
75 | KHADGAR'S ECHO
76 | NO GOING BACK
77 | THE FONT
78 | OUTSIDE OF TIME
79 | SECOND CHANCES
80 | THERE IS ANOTHER
81 | THE BEST LOVE THERE IS
82 | OUR DESTINIES WERE ALREADY ENTWINED
83 | AND SO THE RECKONING IS COME
84 | LIGHTLESS
85 | I WILL LOVE YOU AGAIN
EPILOGUE
Message from E A
THANK YOU
SOUNDTRACK OF A NOVEL
REVIEWS

38 | NO LONGER A GIRL

5.5K 459 59
By ea_carter

Wrapped in blankets within Unambi's hammock, Idira dreamed of Khadgar. He walked alone in a strange, sunken city, passing odd domed buildings constructed from massive ashlars of dark green stone. They crouched low along the city's circular walkways, as though bowing in worship to the vast, angular dome towering above them in the city's centre. From the apex of the central dome, a swirling pillar of white light rotated up into the night sky. Beams of light shot through it, flaring bright as they wove together, intricate.

His arms crossed over his chest, Khadgar scanned the skies, as though searching for something, his eyes moving over the constellations of stars and two moons looming large and heavy on the horizon. Idira stepped closer, expecting to see a younger version of the man from her childhood dream. He turned, his profile emerging from the shadows into the glare of the pillar's light. She stared at him, incredulous. He looked exactly the same as she remembered him from the balcony. Did he not age at all?

'Who are you, and why do you trouble my dreams so?' he asked, his voice resonant, deep and refined. A little thrill ran through Idira at the sound of his voice, it was better than she had imagined it would be. She circled him, drinking in the details of his blue cloth and leather tunic, collar and gloves. Across his back he wore a sturdy wooden staff, its crest carved into the shape of a raven, the gems of its eyes pulsed like a beating heart, slow, emanating power. Beneath the raven's talons, three blue amulets carved with magical symbols hung from leather straps, each of the amulets glowing within a halo of blue light. The raven's eyes flared. Khadgar turned, wary, and pulled his staff free. He held it up. The staff brightened, crackling with violet energy.

'Is it you?' he whispered. 'Show yourself.'

Idira stopped and looked behind her, suddenly self-conscious. He couldn't sense her, could he? No, impossible. He was on another planet and she was dreaming. She glanced up and met his eyes. She bit her lip. He was looking right at her, or rather through her. He looked older than VanCleef with his tousled silver hair and careworn expression, although he carried it well, his tired features offset by his strong jaw, straight nose, and steel-grey eyes. Several days worth of stubble covered his jaw. She backed up, feeling intimidated by his powerfully built, tall frame. From a safer distance, she eyed him. It was really him, in the flesh, the silver-haired hero of Azeroth, charismatic and handsome.

His staff flared bright. He stepped back, startled. Now he looked right at her, his jaw slack.

'The violet Light belongs to a child?' he whispered, astonished. 'No, it cannot be.'

'You can see me?' Idira asked, incredulous. He continued to look at her, examining her, moving his staff from side to side.

'Wait!' she spluttered, indignant, as the light from his staff passed over her once more. 'I'm not a child! I'm almost twelve-and-a-half.'

He didn't answer her, nor did he even seem to realise she was speaking, instead he carried on looking at her, assessing her. 'It is the same Light as in my dreams,' he murmured to himself. 'So rare. But still, a child, how is it possible?'

He shook his head, resigned, and took a step back. He bowed and addressed her, formal. 'I would know more of the dreams you have given to me about Azeroth's future, and the orc you call Gul'dan and what I must do to stop him.' He stepped closer once more, his eyes narrowing. He let out a little exhalation of frustration. 'It's so hard to see you, you shift and waver so.'

Idira stared at him. How could her Light be in his dreams?

'Can you speak?' he asked, urgent.

'Yes. Can't you hear me?' Idira answered, impatient. Maybe she just needed to talk louder. 'Who's Gul'dan?' she shouted.

'Wait!' His eyes widened, alarmed. He lunged after her, his gloved hand reaching out to grasp her shoulder. She felt a shock as his hand passed through her, warm and tingly. 'Come back! I don't understand the dreams. Why do you show me such things, of an orc who is dead yet I must stop before he destroys Azeroth? Why do you come to me?' he asked, anguished. 'I am not even in Azeroth anymore!' He faded away.

Idira opened her eyes, Khadgar's curse of frustration still ringing in her ears. From below, the low sound of VanCleef's grieving drifted up into the office, rising and falling, reminding Idira of the farm and the sigh of the ocean's waves washing up against the shore. She peered over the edge of the hammock. Unambi lay asleep on the floor of the cabin, between her and the closed door of the cabin, his daggers beside him.

She eased back into the hammock. Why tonight, of all nights would she have such a dream? Didn't she already have enough to come to terms with? She thought of Myra and Benny, only just gone to the Light, tears filling her eyes anew. They trickled down the side of her face as she stared at the roof of the cabin, her gaze following the seams of the wooden panels fitted together and sealed with tar, refusing to let herself think of how they died, and what would happen to her now, a prisoner to a madman. She shifted a little, making the hammock swing back and forth, the movement soothing her, calming her.

At least Unambi was still there, he would protect her. Maybe one day they would escape. But how? When? Another tear slipped down her cheek. She couldn't think about that now. She couldn't even think about her dream with Khadgar. Another day, another time, when she didn't feel like she was going to shatter into a thousand pieces. Exhausted, she closed her eyes and went back to sleep. This time she dreamed of nothing.

With Myra gone, VanCleef changed. He lost all interest in the ship, spending his time in the galley, gambling and drinking the hard liquor the pirates carried. At breakfast, as Idira prepared Vanessa's plate, he would sit at the table and stare at Myra's empty seat, his eyes sunken from lack of sleep. He would pull a silver flask from his jacket, his hands shaking and drink deep, then sit, half-turned, waiting for the alcohol to do its work, his legs splayed on his chair, his elbow leaning on the table and his head hanging. A few minutes later he would get up and leave without saying a word.

Sometimes Idira could hear him shouting strange things from the top deck, his words slurred and incoherent, daring someone to fight him, to come and taste his blades. There would be sounds of a scuffle followed by more shouts, and the clatter of swords falling to the deck. Soon Kip and one of the other men would bring an unconscious VanCleef down into his room and throw him onto his bed to sleep off the drink. They would walk out shaking their heads, glancing at her and Vanessa, pity in their eyes.

As the months dragged by and VanCleef's condition worsened, Kip took over the work of finishing the ship, becoming the new leader, though he still treated VanCleef with respect in front of the others. He carved a little set of animals for Vanessa and gave them to her one evening as VanCleef stormed across the top deck cursing and demanding the cannons be fired in honor of Myra.

Vanessa just looked at Kip's gift, laid out on the dining table, her eyes hollow and asked what was wrong with her daddy. Kip shook his head and backed away, Idira knew he didn't want any part of that conversation. He left to contain VanCleef, while Idira went to find a book to read to Vanessa, to try and distract her from the fistfight breaking out on the top deck.

Idira did her best to take care of Vanessa, relying on Unambi to give her the strength to go on, but she soon realised he was suffering too. The lack of fresh air and sunlight made him tired and listless. He spent most of his time in his hammock, sleeping. Idira could understand, she slept too whenever she could. Anything to make the time pass.

One evening, a week after her unremarked thirteenth birthday, she overheard Kip and Unambi talking as they drank in the office. Kip mentioned when he took in the last shipment of goods from the entrance of the mines, there were rumors that the bounty for VanCleef's head had been raised to one thousand gold pieces and champions were gathering to answer the call.

Unambi scoffed and asked why Kip didn't just deliver up VanCleef to Stormwind himself. Kip laughed, hollow, and admitted he was a wanted man, too, as was every other man and creature in the mines by now, including Unambi. He'd decided the attack against Stormwind would have to wait. In the meantime he had agreed with the ship's captain they would sail to Kalimdor, to a place called Ratchet, where they could wait in safety until VanCleef pulled himself together. Unambi had grunted, but said nothing more.

After that, the men worked harder, starting earlier in the morning and working well into the night. A sense of urgency swept over the ship. No one drank or gambled now, even VanCleef kept to himself, sitting alone in his room staring at the wall, whispering to himself about being a family again.

Although Idira spent more time than usual sleeping, she never dreamed of Khadgar again, nor did she have any visions, but that didn't stop her from thinking about him and the tantalising thought that they seemed to share a connection through her Light. Her thoughts of him, and how handsome he was, occupied the long, lonely hours spent waiting to turn her face once more to the warm rays of the sun. Secretly she was glad he hadn't been able to see her properly, she didn't want him to think of her as a child. She wouldn't be a child for much longer. One day she would be a woman full grown and she wanted him to see her like that. But she had to admit, the wait was excruciating now she had seen him up close.

One night, not long after she had learned of VanCleef's bounty, the worst of her fears came true when she experienced her first painful bleed, alone. She was glad she had kept her booklet about becoming a woman with the bank note from Nin still tucked safe inside, otherwise she would have thought she was dying. She sent to the galley for linens, washing them out after, desperate to hide her shame from both VanCleef and Vanessa. She had already grown in height, but now her breasts and hips filled out, seemingly overnight. When the pirates began eyeing her as she sat in the office talking to Unambi, Kip told her she had to stay below. She sighed and accepted her imprisonment, but secretly she grieved the loss of her one last solace; Unambi's warm and reassuring presence.

She kept herself busy taking in Myra's two dresses so she could wear them. Her new body made her own dresses too tight, their bodices tearing at the seams and hems brushing against her shins, far above her ankles. She repaired her old dresses and packed them away, saving them for when Vanessa would need them. The first time VanCleef saw Idira wearing Myra's dress, he just stared at her, his eyes glistening with tears. He turned and went up the ladder, and didn't come back for two days.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 14.2K 45
★ 2013 Watty Finalist ★ The day Reyna gives her friend Dante the chance to be her boyfriend is the day a demon's soul awakens within her body. His na...
131K 4.8K 63
What ifs with Dangerous Fellows bachelors: -Harry -Ethan -Eugene -Zion -Lawrence Help me out plssss. :D I do the most random things so this book is a...
665K 33.1K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
234K 5.8K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...