Everything

By ColouredCookie

"He's left you, hasn't he?" All her life, Adriana Rodriguez dreamt of her happily ever after: marriage, child... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L - EPILOGUE
one
two

XII

401 10 2
By ColouredCookie

"Michael Montgomery asked me out on a date."

Spencer and I had both returned from work about an hour ago. It had been a long day for both of us, so we'd ordered in Chinese food and snuggled up on the sofa, watching Scandal reruns. I can't say it had been a totally PG evening - we'd made out a few times, mostly during the ads, as a good excuse not to skip them, but it was just like old times at college, bundled into someone's dorm, usually mine and Licia's and crowded round the static television.

And then I went and spoiled it all by saying something stupid like 'Michael Montgomery asked me out on a date.'? Catchy, right?

"He what?"

Spencer jumped away from me, his chopsticks clattering to the hardwood floor.

I rolled my eyes, "Spencer, calm down. I just told you because I thought you should know."

He frowned deeply, picking up the chopsticks from the floor and resting them on his ostentatious glass table, "And what did you tell him?"

"That I was busy!" I exclaimed, "What Spence, you wanted me to tell him about us?"

Spencer sighed, "Well, no, of course not...well, yes of course I do... but....you know what I mean, Adri."

"If we're not telling anyone for a while then that's the way it will have to be." I replied, "Right, Spence?"

"Okay."

"Hey..." I pulled myself towards him, "Don't be mad at me. It's what we agreed, right?"

"Hm."

"Spence, come on." I went on both knees on the sofa and kissed the soft spot below his ear, "Please?"

He groaned, suddenly pulling me into his lap, "Alright, alright. I'm okay. I do trust you, you know that right? It's just...the thought of you with someone else. It drives me insane. And I've already been insane for the last year and a half. I don't want to go there again."

"I understand Spence." I nodded, "Honestly, I do."

The television blared Olivia's voice, mid-argument with Fitz.

"They should totally get together." I said, making myself comfortable on Spencer's lap again.

"Are you kidding?" Spencer exclaimed, "He's a lying, cheating assh*le. Look what he did to Mellie. Uh-uh. Olivia should be with Jake."

"This is seriously going to be a test in our relationship," I replied, eyes narrowing, "Olivia and Fitz are perfect together. I love Mellie but we all know she's second best in Fitz' heart. And as for Jake. The B613 sh*t is just too much."

He rolled his eyes, "Whatever. She won't end up with either of them anyway. She's a strong, independent woman."

I shrugged, sinking back into the sofa, as the TV flickered over to an ad for Olive Garden in Times Square, "You do get why I told you about Michael don't you, Spence? It's so you wouldn't freak out later if it came up."

"Okay." he kissed my forehead, "I appreciate you telling me. No secrets between us. That's the way it's always been, that's the way I want it to stay."

A series of buzzing noises came from the table and Spencer's phone vibrated.

I laughed, "Aren't you going to pick that up?"

Spencer cleared his throat, "Uh—I—no, it's alright. I'll get it later. Work stuff."

"But, Spence, it's your personal cell!"

"It's fine—it's nothing important."

I arched an eyebrow, "What are you not telling me?"

"Nothing!" he exclaimed, "I just...wanted a quiet evening that's all."

"Spencer Ethan Haywood!" I shouted, "Don't make me that over-interrogative girlfriend!" I reached over and grabbed his phone.

"Adriana—"

"No, what's so secretive that you're not telling me!" I pressed the home button and scanned my eyes down the screen.

Message 1: Hey babe, what are you up to this evening?

Message 2: Long day at work, hun? Call me ;)

Message 3: What are you up to tonight? How about dinner at mine? Or we can skip straight to the dessert? ;)

Message 4: How about we catch up this weekend, sweetie? It's been too long!

Message 5: Missing you! You work so hard. I could relieve that tension with a massage, I'm sure. Maybe I could come over? Call me. xoxo

"Oh. I see. No secrets, huh?" I put the phone back down, my heart sinking into my stomach. How could I expect anything less? I wanted to be sick.

"Adri, it's not what it looks like..." he whined

"I think it's exactly what it looks like," I shrugged, "Hey, well it's not like we're dating, or anything, right? No one even knows we were thinking about it. Or I was thinking about it. Whatever."

"Adri, please, come on. Of course, we're dating! You know I don't have any time for those girls. I haven't spoken to anyone since you broke up with that assh*le Holloway. Hell, even two months before that. No one. It's only you. It's just desperation because I haven't replied to anything. I'm even thinking of changing my personal number - look."

He took the phone from my hands and pulled up an email to his IT guy:

Sent at 06:15am

Ian,

Looking for a new personal mobile. Apple. The unreleased model if we can get our hands on it. Hey, who am I kidding, I'm Spencer f*cking Haywood. Call Tim Cook's office and get it for me please. Matte Black if poss. if not, silver will do. Also need a revamp of my contact list. Only the following names as an essential start-up please:

Adriana Rodriguez, Mrs. Rodriguez, Mr. Rodriguez, Antonio Rodriguez

Alicia Washington, Mr. Washington, Mrs. Washington

Sebastian Haywood, Serena Haywood, Mum, Dad

And of course, the usual contacts from the firm.

Cheers, mate.

Spencer Haywood

CEO and Editor-in-Chief - The Global Chronicle

"See, baby?" he pulled me into him, "It's only you. Not any of them. Just you."

"Spencer...it's okay if you're finding this too...weird and you don't want us to be together anymore. I know what you're like, I won't hold it against you." I replied weakly, unable to make eye contact as I knew it would break my heart otherwise. What had happened? I thought I'd just harbored a crush on Spencer, but the thought of him doing anything, being with anyone else, made my whole chest seize up tight and my stomach twist into a knot.

He tugged me into his arms and kissed the side of my head, "I promise Adri. It's you. It's always been you."

I couldn't help my sigh, "Spence, if it's only ever been me then why the...track record. And you know what I'm talking about. I don't want to turn this into an argument, I just want to know."

His brows pulled together, "It's not something I'm particularly proud of Adri. It was just...me. As long as they all consented and were happy then I was okay with it too. I was... I won't lie to you Adriana, I was very sexually frustrated. Because of you."

My cheeks got hot. Sexually frustrated?

"But that's not the person I want to be anymore. I want to be your person." his thumb swept under my chin, lifting it so I was looking into his eyes, "You do believe me, don't you, baby?"

"Promise me, Spence. Promise me this hasn't all turned out to be something you pictured in your head to be fantastic and now you've got it, it isn't. Promise me."

He groaned, shaking his head, "Whatever I pictured? This is 10 times more. You're more." he kissed my lips softly, "Please?"

I reached up to his neck and pulled him into my lips, kissing him tenderly, "Okay."

"The thought of you with anyone else drives me insane." I repeated his words from earlier as we broke for air.

"You don't have to worry about that," his caramel breath fanned my lips, "Ever."

We snuggled back into the sofa.

"You won't go out with Michael, will you Adri?" his voice sounded tight and restrained as I turned the volume on the TV up a notch.

"I won't go out with Michael, Spencer." I replied firmly, "I just might have to set the record straight. Over coffee. Only if he asks."

He pressed his lips to the top of my head, "Okay."

"I know how...jealous you get. It's okay. I'll be considerate."

"Thank you." I felt his smile against the top of my head, "You're really something special, you know that, Adriana Rodriguez?"

"Oh, Special's my middle name." I replied with a grin, "Just like Impressive is yours." I remembered back to the ball and the obvious tension between us that had resulted in our blow-out argument. We'd come quite far, considering.

He laughed, "That's right. I guess we fit quite well together." he laced his fingers through mine, "You don't think I'm too overbearing, do you Adri?"

"Overbearing?" I scoffed, "Of course not! What would make you say that?"

"I'm just...self-conscious, that's all," he sighed, "I don't want to lose you by being too controlling. Telling you who you can and can't see. I do trust you, you know that, right baby?"

I giggled, shaking my head and leaning further back into him, "Spence, what you fail to understand - something that's quite shocking as you've known me for the last eight years - is that if you started 'calling the shots' on who I can and cannot see, I'd probably use your turn of phrase in your heated phone conversations and tell you to stick your opinion up your arse."

Spencer guffawed, making my head rise and fall with his rapid chest movements of laughter, "You really are something else."

"Something else?" I teased, "I thought I was something special?"

"Oh, shhh you." He grinned, kissing my temple, "It's always good with you, Adri."

"Spence, you make it sound like you're talking about s—" I cut myself off, blushing hard at my sudden train of thought.

"About what?" he frowned slowly before a huge grin spread across his face, "About se—"

"Let's forget about it." I interjected, cheeks flushing a bright red. It wasn't something I was ready to consider just yet, "Just tell me more about The Global."

I ignored Spencer's frown, and soon enough we were back into our normal flow of conversation, all thoughts of flirty text messagers, rich Texan oil and land lawyers and physical intimacy off the table.

*

"Adriana, you've got a package from the courier."

A week after Spencer's little jealousy issue, I had been swept off my feet with work and Spencer had been working the longer 16 hour shifts at the paper, trying to co-ordinate everything. We'd barely had the opportunity to see one another.

The decision on partner was being made in two months time and a part of myself had begun to regret going for it in the first place. It would crush me if I didn't get the position, I just knew it. I'd never even considered it - it wasn't on my radar for at least another five years. But I was working hard, really hard. Anything Boone and Webster wanted Boone and Webster would get.

I froze, mid-sip of a cup of tea, looking up at Mr Boone's secretary, "Courier? I'm not expecting anything."

"He says it's urgent."

My blood ran cold. Could this be another stunt from Mark, attempting to embarrass me at work? What could he possibly have up his sleeve this time?

"Send him through, please." I nodded, looking back at my Tort papers and scribbling notes frantically on the side in my pen.

A man in tight leather biker clothing carried his motorcycle helmet in one hand and a large flat cardboard box in another.

"Adriana Rodriguez?"

"Yes?" I looked up, and forced my mouth into a polite smile. Please don't do anything stupid, Mark! We're meant to be through!

"Sign here please."

I scribbled my name and reluctantly took the flat box, thanking the courier as he flicked his midnight black hair out of his eye and put his helmet back on, leaving my office.

I stared down at the flat box.

What could be inside? I hadn't ordered anything and it wasn't my birthday for another couple of weeks. An early present maybe?

I ran my fingers along the edge of the box and pulled it up to come face to face with blood red tissue paper, covering whatever was inside. There was a card on top, folded neatly.

I picked it up and slowly smiled at the smell of Hermes cologne that I knew so well and the neat cursive writing that was unbelievably familiar.

Adri,

I miss you more than words. I hope this little care package will do the trick until we see each other tonight.

Always,

Spence. x

I pulled back the tissue paper and my smile almost split my face in half.

The microwave mac and cheese I loved to eat on the go, Cookie Dough Ice-Cream, the cutest charm bracelet, a dark red MAC lipstick and... my cheeks flushed as I shut the box... a lacy lavender bra and panty set...

Picking up my office phone, I punched in his work number and waited as it rang.

Haywood. Leave a message. His blunt voice still managed to be as sweet as honey.

"You are the most inappropriate person I know." I fought a smile, holding the phone between my ear and my shoulder, "But I think I might quite like that. Perhaps I might give you a show later. Later, loser."

I grinned, despite freaking out. "I'll give you a show later"? What was I thinking? Sure, I'd made some Victoria Secret purchases when I'd gone out with Licia, and I had a few things in my closet, but a show? A show was a euphemism for sex. And I didn't know if I was ready for that. Especially not with Spencer being the way he is and me being the way...that I am.

Yes, that's right. Adriana Rodriguez, high-flying lawyer, potential partner and 26 year old woman was still hanging onto her V Card.

Throughout our year long relationship, Mark had initiated things plenty of times, but I'd never felt comfortable with letting him do anything more than touch me. Hell, he'd never even seen me without a bra on. I had always thought there would be a moment where it would all click together with Mark and I'd be ready for all the things that I'd heard about sex since I was a teenager. But that moment never came. I'd convinced myself that it was just me overthinking things, and that once we made a proper commitment to one another, it would only solidify my feelings about giving a part of myself to Mark. But Spencer? Spencer was my best friend. Of course he was hot, not just hot but extremely sexy, you'd have to be a fool not to see that. But what if things got weird between us once we decided to... I'd seen the episode of Friends with Joey and Rachel enough times, I knew how this sh*t worked.

Suddenly my desk phone began to buzz. I picked it up immediately.

"Boone and Webster. Ms Rodriguez, speaking. How can I help?"

"Well, hello Miss Rodriguez," the voice purred, "I don't know, how can you help?"

I rolled my eyes, "What do you want, Haywood?"

"Just returning your courtesy call." the noise in the background told me he was walking through New York, "And what a promising courtesy call it was. I see you got my package?"

I paused. Time to play.

"Not the package I had in mind though." I tried to match Spencer's purring tone.

He took a sharp breath, "You're teasing."

"Of course I am," I replied twirling a strand of my hair, "I thought that's what we were doing?"

Spencer cleared his throat, "Back to this idea you've had."

"Idea?"

"A show, eh?" I could hear the smile in his voice, "Tell me more I'm intrigued."

"Uh-uh. You're not getting anything Haywood. Nothing at all. Like you said, I was just teasing...and I'm busy."

"Adri," he whined, "Hey, watch it, you prick!" he shouted off in the distance

"Temper, temper." I shook my head, "Cool it, hothead, it's okay."

"Sorry Adri, this guy nearly ran over me with his bike. New York, eh?" he sighed, "I miss you."

I smiled, "I miss you too. I'll be home at a decent time tonight, I promise."

"Good, baby." he replied, "I'll hopefully see you at 8?"

"Yeah sure, I'll make dinner."

He laughed, "Okay then, if you insist. But only something you can handle. Remember my rule about my pans!"

"Don't worry about that. And maybe, just maybe, if you compliment my culinary skills enough, I might consider a show." I bit my lip.

"I'm looking forward to it," Spencer responded, "Time to get back to work, Miss. Hang up."

"You hang up." I giggled.

"No, you hang up." he chuckled

"You hang up!" I grinned

He laughed again, "See you later, baby."

"Bye Spence." I finished the call by blowing him a kiss.

This was beyond weird. Just like magic we had fallen into the conventions of a couple. And not just any old couple. A long-term couple. I suppose it was the fact we've known each other for so long. I knew pretty much every single detail about my...boyfriend. How his first childhood crush was the animated Pocahontas, how he'd found his brother's stash of Playboys and had been convinced not to tell for a week's supply of Digestive Biscuits, how on the first night of owning the paper, after everyone had gone home, Spencer had danced around the office in the buff to celebrate and most of all, now, the way he'd felt about me for the past eight years without me even knowing it.

My stomach did flips thinking about the way he would smile at me. Or the way he would hold me if I needed to cry. The way we were always there for each other.

How could this not develop into a relationship? Had I been too blind to notice my obvious attraction to Spencer from the start?

I suppose it didn't matter. We were here. Here in the present, in the now. I may have not been ready for...sex with Spencer, but I was definitely falling harder for him every single day. It was inevitable. The rest would come soon. For now, I could give him something. Something he deserved.

*

My enchiladas were just about ready to come out of the oven when the lift doors pinged and out stepped an exhausted Spencer Haywood.

After our conversation earlier in the day, I'd been left on a high, and the day seemed to whizz past my very eyes until it was time to pack up shop and walk the few blocks home. Aaron had offered to take me but after Spencer had expressed his distaste a week ago, I politely declined. It wasn't like I was letting Spencer control my life, I was just being considerate to his feelings. Anyway, I loved the walk home even though it was cold in New York.

It wasn't a problem for me to start the meal as soon as I got in. Enchiladas were about the only thing I was competent enough to cook, I'd learnt from my abuela at a young age and I knew I wouldn't set fire to Spencer's kitchen like I would if I made anything else. Besides, Spencer loved them.

But seeing his tired and weary face as he shuffled into the apartment in shirt sleeves, jacket tucked over one arm and letting his briefcase drop to the ground, I lamented.

"Spence?" I questioned, turning off the oven and striding over to his side, "Are you okay?"

He looked up at me, blue eyes wavering with tiredness and pulled me into his arms.

"God, I missed you, baby." And his lips were on mine, giving me a slow, sensual kiss.

"Wow," I smiled, pulling away for air, "That was..."

"What's cooking?" he grinned, eyes lighting up for the first time as he sniffed the air, "Enchiladas?"

"Uh-huh." I nodded, "I can see you've had a stressful day and I wasn't joking about starting dinner when I got home."

"Hmm," he smirked, pressing his forehead to mine, "I like Domestic Goddess Adriana." he pulled on my apron strings, "She's very sexy."

"Oh yeah?" I gave him a little twirl in my work dress, heels and apron, "Maybe I should cook more often?"

"No." he chuckled, "We both know I'm the chef around here. Unless you're cooking any of your grandma's tasty recipes. Then I'm all in."

"B*st*rd!" I teased, "No show of any kind for you."

His eyes widened, "You were really being serious about the...show?"

I hesitated, cheeks flushing bright red, "Um...I mean, you did just send me lingerie."

He smiled, shaking his head, "Do you remember the 2nd time we met?"

"The second time?" I frowned, trying to get a picture of it in my head, "No..."

"It was about a week after we met the first time and I couldn't get you out of my head. It was funny really. The picture of you I had in my head was so vivid I could almost count the little freckles on your face, which were so endearingly perfect. Still are." He shot me a lopsided grin as he walked over to the kitchen counter and I blushed, "I hadn't seen you around campus, something I'd been praying for, particularly after the party got shut down and Licia had yanked you home. Remember?"

I laughed at the memory, "Once the cops arrived I don't think I'd ever run so fast in my life. Only brush with the law, ever."

He chuckled, "I never got to say goodbye. Or even ask for your number. But I tried to compartmentalize you. Push you to the back of my brain for a second just to focus on something else. Didn't really work out too well, but what can I say," he shrugged, "Anyway, Licia had invited me to a party, she'd stopped me after our Shakespeare lecture on the Friday to let me know it was happening the next day. I was too afraid to ask her whether she was bringing her pretty friend along. And besides, girls hate being palmed off for their friends right?"

I fought my smirk, what did he really know about women? "Right."

"So, she was meant to be ready for 8, but you know Licia already. She's not the best timekeeper," he smiled fondly, "So, I came to her corridor at 8.45, a bit pissed off and hungry as hell. And I could hear the music from down the hall."

"I remember!" I exclaimed, "I remember what you're talking about now!"

"What was the song, Adriana?" he asked, already knowing the answer full well.

I blushed, "Single Ladies, Beyonce."

His smirk turned into a full blow grin, Hollywood smile and all, "Single Ladies was playing on full blast all the way down the corridor. And I got really pissed off. I thought, why the hell is Licia messing about listening to music when she's already 45 minutes late for this party? So, when I got to her room and the door was already half open, well I thought she was playing with me."

I looked away, still feeling the embarrassment of what I knew Spencer was going to say next.

"And then I opened the door. Remember?"

"Yes, I remember." I replied sheepishly.

"And there was a beautiful girl, even more beautiful than I remembered, twirling around, hopping from one foot to the other to the beat of the music, in nothing but—"

"Lavender lingerie." I finished, cheeks frying.

"Not just any lingerie. About the sexiest, cutest lingerie set I'd ever seen on any girl. And this wasn't just any girl. This was my girl. The girl I hadn't been able to get out of my thoughts for seven days. And she was everything I'd ever dreamed." His expression changed as he looked at me, and I could almost see the thoughts that had been going through his brain on that night.

"That was so embarrassing." I squirmed, "I didn't know Licia had left the door off the latch."

"I was shocked to say the least," Spencer smiled, "I'd been so obsessed with you from the moment I laid eyes on you, that I hadn't even registered that you were Licia's roommate. And to see you there. In nothing but lingerie. It was like something out of a dream."

"A dream that quickly changed into a nightmare for you probably." I smirked at his omission of what happened next.

"Ah, yes." He laughed, "I guess I forgot to mention the fact that when you saw me you were livid and practically attacked me like some sort of banshee for walking in unannounced."

"I'm sorry!" I mocked his accent, covering my eyes with one hand, "Oh my gosh, Adriana, I'm so so sorry! I didn't see anything I promise!"

He let out a deep chuckle, "Of course I saw more than my fair share, and the fact that you, the girl of my dreams had touched me for the first time, and I'd seen you in lingerie? What happened next?"

I frowned, "You...you said you came to tell Licia you couldn't make it to the party....but I thought you said you came to find her?"

He smirked, shaking his head, turning away from me to put the enchiladas back into the oven, "I made my excuses, inevitably took one last look at you and went back to my room for a shower. I think I nearly broke my right wrist." He chuckled

"Nearly broke your wr—? Oh."

Was it possible to blush this hard?

"Hey," he turned back towards me with a smile, "That was a long time ago, back when I was a horny teenager. I found the sentiment amusing when I passed by Victoria Secret in Times Square the other day, before we went out for dinner. The past and the present merging to meet us here. That's Beyonce too, right?"

I shook my head, fighting my smile, "Yes. It is. From Lemonade. I'm surprised you didn't bump into me in Victoria Secret the other day."

"You were there?" his eyes lit up, "For what?"

"For laughs, Spence," I rolled my eyes, "Of course I was there to buy lingerie, with Licia."

"Lingerie for Licia or lingerie with Licia?" he questioned

"I bought lingerie, for myself, with Licia." I replied, rolling my eyes again, "Well more like Licia forced me to buy lingerie for myself. We stopped at a reasonable 6 pairs. She thought I had a hot date. Really it was just some stuffy media executive." I teased

"I'll give you 'stuffy media executive' and then some." He growled, pulling me into his arms and tickling me senseless.

"Oh God, Spence, stop!" I giggled, fighting his grasp, "Stop!"

"Mmm, that depends, baby." He laughed, grasp getting tighter, "Are you going to show me?"

"Sh—show you?" I got out, in the midst of tickling. He knew this was my weak spot!

"As both a British and American consumer, I only think it would be right for you to let me inspect your purchases. You know...make sure you got the best deal," He grinned boyishly, "That is, if you want me to." He shot me a gorgeous, heart-stopping wide eyed look. One he usually reserved for his mother when he was in trouble.

"Alright." I relented, still reluctant, "The enchiladas will keep. Come on."

Spencer, eyes still wide, let me drag him into the bedroom like an overeager puppy.

*

"Wow."

Right now, I was standing in a black crushed velvet one piece with a large gold belt and stockings in front of Spencer Haywood who, when I emerged from his bathroom was laid out on the bed, glass of wine in hand and clothed in only a pair of loose fitting grey tracksuit bottoms. I'd tried on some lingerie that I already had in my closet, inhibitions all but gone from drinking half of the bottle Spencer was sipping from. Spencer seemed to love it, his eyes widening in surprise every time I stepped out of his bathroom.

As soon as I had led him into the bedroom about a half hour ago, he had paced quickly over towards the cabinet drawer he had cleared out for me and emptied its contents onto the floor in one fell swoop.

"Spencer!"

"What?" he shrugged, "Let's make this a real show." He bent down and picked up a pair of lacy Brazilian briefs, staring at them with wide eyes, "I think I'm going to need a glass of wine...make that a bottle."

I had giggled, brushing it off in the way that only I could do when Spencer disconcerted me. I wasn't sexy, or particularly beautiful. This wouldn't be a big deal. Not at all.

How wrong I had been.

"You. Are. Gorgeous." He bit out, eyes wide, "Jesus, Adriana."

I blushed under his intense stare, "So, you like this one?"

Spencer snorted, taking a sip of his wine, "I like them all, Adri, as long as you're in them....well scratch that, as long as they're on you at some point." He smiled wolfishly.

My lips twisted, "Spencer Ethan Haywood, are you coming onto me?"

He went to open his mouth and then paused, sweeping a hand through his hair, "I'll save you the dirty joke you just set yourself up for, because you look so damn beautiful in that one-piece that it would be unbecoming."

I smiled, playing with my fingers. Why was this making me feel so nervous? It was my idea in the first place!

Spencer cleared his throat, pulling the bedcovers up to his waist, "How about you go and try on something else, baby? What's going to loosen you up, eh?"

"Nothing," I shrugged, "I guess this is just more...intimate than I thought it would be."

"Intimate?" he tested the word on his tongue, "I want intimacy with you, Adriana. I crave intimacy with you. Now you're my girlfriend, I don't want you to lose yourself. I still want the girl who makes a mess in my kitchen, the girl who took me to Cancun and partied until she couldn't even hold herself up anymore, the girl who talked about Gatsby. Yourself, Adri. You've never had too many inhibitions, not with me. I want the same."

I couldn't stop the slow smile that stretched across my face.

"Now go try on something else," he grinned, "I'm looking forward to the next Secret Victoria has to offer."

I swiveled on one heel and teetered back into the bathroom with a smile.

As I was wriggling into the next two piece, a familiar base line began to shake some of the objects resting on top of Spencer's his and hers sinks.

I rolled my eyes as I heard the lyrics.

"I get all the girls?" I scoffed, shouting at Spencer, "Seriously?"

"What's a fashion show without any music?" he called back, "Besides, I like the song!"

"Yeah, right! I'm sure you do, hot shot!"

I looked at myself in the mirror, lavender bra and panty set practically the same as the one I'd had all those years ago. Spencer remembered in that much detail? I didn't even remember the event until he'd reminded me. Maybe he had been obsessed with me, like he'd asserted. Maybe I was beautiful to him?

So surely he deserved me to loosen up just a tiny bit?

I let down my hair from the clip that had secured it in a loose bun and fluffed it out a bit, leaving the loose curls to hang around my face the way I'd always done back at college, back before I kept pinning it up for practicality.

Spencer wanted a show? He'd get one.

I swung open the door and danced into the room. Heels, panties, bra and nothing else. And for once, I didn't feel completely exposed.

Spencer, who was taking a draught of wine, spat it back into the glass, coughing and spluttering as I made my way to the foot of his huge bed.

"F*ck...Me..."

"You like?" I bit my lip teasingly, giving him a twirl to the music. Never expected that reaction!

He sat up in bed, letting out all his breath at once, eyes bug-eyed and jaw slack.

"F*ck. Yeah."

I giggled, heat still rising to my cheeks, "Language, Haywood!" I admonished, "Imagine if your mother heard you!"

"If my mother knew what was going on in my brain right now, she'd probably have a heart attack." He breathed, reaching over to turn down the music slightly, "Sh*t, Adriana."

I tilted my head to one side, still staring at him, "Well, isn't this nostalgic?"

"Oh yeah," he nodded slowly, "This takes me back, alright. Your hair was damp though."

"When? That night? I'd just got out the shower."

"Uh-huh." He bit out, stroking the stubble on his chin and closing his eyes momentarily.

"You did a pretty good job with the selection," I said, running my fingers along the lace waistband provocatively, "It's almost identical to the one I had back in college."

"I know..." he smiled ironically, tapping the side of his head, "When something is the subject of multiple wet dreams, you kind of commit it to memory."

"Is that what they were, Spencer? Dreams?" I replied in a whisper, fingers flirting with the lace cups of my bra.

Spencer stared transfixed, his head slowly nodding up and down.

"I don't like dreams very much." I paused, "I prefer realities."

He groaned, sitting up in bed, "Com'ere."

"Huh?"

"Come. Here."

I blushed, slowly slinking onto the bed.

All of a sudden, just as I was getting close to him, Spencer yanked me towards him...on top of him with a smooth pull and immediately, his lips plundered mine.

We both moaned in synchronisation as his fingers dove into my scalp, pulling me closer to him. Was this what heaven felt like? Whatever it was, it was sure as hell close.

He broke away, panting hard, pupils dilated.

"This was a bad idea." He bent his head and started laying soft kisses on my neck.

I frowned in confusion, "Bad idea?" and then... I felt it.

"Jesus, Spence, are you going camping or something?"

"Cam.Ping?" he posed, in between kisses.

I shifted my hip against him, "Yeah. With that tent pole you're smuggling there."

After a beat, he chuckled and I giggled in response as he rolled me off him.

"God, Adri, you drive me crazy."

"Actions speak louder than words, Spence." I said, willing him on with my eyes. With the lust that was coursing through my veins right now, I wasn't hesitating like I usually did. Kiss me!

He sighed loudly, sweeping his hair from his face, "I keep telling you this. I don't want to be the person I was before, Adri."

"What? A nymphomaniac?" I teased, nudging his shoulder with mine, "I wouldn't mind...too much."

"Let's not talk about s*x, Adri. You're in lingerie, in my bed and your hair is messy."

I frowned, bemused, "Isn't that the whole point? God, how were you having s*x all these years, Spence? Fully clothed?"

"Adri." He admonished.

"What?"

"Please." He sighed, taking my face in his hands as we turned to face each other, "No matter how absolutely f*cking sexy you look in this lingerie, the lingerie I bought especially for you—God that is a turn on...But—I want to show you I'm not the same guy. I'm not after that one thing. The one thing I'm after is you. All of you. I don't want to prove that to you through s*x...at least not yet, despite the amount of times I've contemplated it. You do understand me, right baby?"

I shook my head with a smile, "Of course I do. I...I kinda want the same thing. Slow. So we can figure out exactly what we mean to each other before other things get involved. I never want to wreck what we have Spence, not ever. You mean far too much to me for me to ever hurt you."

He smiled indulgently, kissing the top of my head, "You make me feel like I'm 19 all over again."

"I make you feel like you're wearing bottle-rimmed glasses and old band tees?" I snuggled into his always warm chest.

Spencer chuckled, "No, you make me feel turned on 24/7, like I always was around you, my beautiful girl."

"Spencer..." I groaned, rolling my eyes at the fact he kept calling me beautiful. Not an adjective I ever really associated with myself.

"Alright, alright, I'll stop. For now. But only because I know you're beautiful, despite how much you try to deny it." He placed a hard kiss onto my cheek, "You are you know...beautiful."

I leant up towards his mouth, and kissed him softly, "And you're sweet to say so." I kissed him again, and again, "Kiss me, Spence."

"Adri, I can't." he groaned, hand at my waist as I kissed him again, "No. I can't."

"Do you not want to?" I frowned, but he shook his head, "We can do this. Why can't we?"

He took my bottom lip between his thumb and first finger and stared into my eyes, "We can't because I'm thinking of this gorgeous mouth in places that I shouldn't. That's why."

This time, I tried hard to prevent the blush from staining my cheeks, keeping a steely expression on my boyfriend, "But what if I like those places?"

Suddenly, Spencer tapped my behind, making me squeal, "Go get your dressing gown on, baby, you're far too much of a..." his fingers danced on my bra strap, and his bright blue eyes met mine, "...Temptation."

I giggled, reaching down to kiss him, before rolling off the bed, "Okay."

Padding over to the door, I pulled my long silk dressing-gown off the door hook and wrapped it around me, "It's been a long day."

"That it has." Spencer nodded, stretching out, "It's better now you're here."

I crawled back into bed beside him, and reached across to grab my glass of wine.

"Ah, ah, ah," he admonished, taking the glass from my hand, "That's enough for you, gorgeous. Tipsy Adriana is far too flirty for me to handle."

I pouted, "I've got a taste for wine now."

"I've got a taste for you," he kissed my nose, "And too much alcohol makes for a very unrestrained Adriana. The two aren't compatible."

Attempting to prevent my yawn, I hooked a leg around Spencer's, "We can cuddle though, right?"

His eyes sparkled, "Of course...God, you're gorgeous."

Sighing, I snuggled into his chest, resting my head against his neck and shutting my eyes, "You're comfy."

He kissed the top of my head, "And you're tired. You should nap for a while before we eat those delicious enchiladas."

Spencer pulled away, picking up his glass of wine. I groaned, grabbing his hand as he turned away.

"Spence?"

"Yeah?"

"Lay down with me?" I asked, more like insisting.

It looked like he was trying to keep a straight face but the slight smile that broke through told me otherwise, "You're sure?"

I knew what he meant. Ever since our fight, Spencer had been sleeping in one of his guest rooms. It was on the other side of the living room, tucked away in the corner. Of course, with the size of Spencer's apartment, it wasn't a big deal when Serena and Sebastian came to stay – there were two more rooms on the mezzanine floor, but the guest room may as well have been on the other side of the planet the way it had separated Spencer and I.

We weren't arguing anymore. We hadn't been for two weeks, but the enforced separation between us had changed into something else. Something more tempting. After all, if we were around each other for too long, things began to happen. Things like this. Of course, I'd been the one to initiate this whole 'lingerie show', but I feared taking things much further, no matter how much I talked the talk.

Spencer seemed to sense it, either that or he was reluctant himself. We were friends, we were dating, we sometimes got pretty hot on his expensive corner sofa, but sex? That was for later. And if Spencer and I were in the same bed? I didn't know what it would lead to. But I was willing to try.

I nodded, biting my lip and pulling back the covers, "I'll be the small spoon."

He chuckled, sliding in next to me, "I wouldn't have it any other way, baby."

As he wrapped his arms around me, I curved into his body and felt immediately right at home. This was it. Spencer was it. I knew it. This was endgame. This was the whole works and it was scaring the hell out of me. Falling for him was inevitable, I'd already done the work for myself before I'd even realised it. But what if Spencer didn't want that?

Lying here, right here in his arms, I knew that this was all I'd ever wanted and all I'd ever want.

But Spencer was a loose cannon, flitting from girl to girl, party to party without a care in the world. He invested himself in his work, if a bit too much and family was everything to him.

I wasn't entirely sure where I would fit into the picture.

"Adri?" his voice cracked.

"Yeah, Spence?" I turned my neck to look at him.

"I—I—never mind." He shook his head, "We should go eat soon, Angel."

I frowned at his tone, "Okay."

"Can I take you out again, for your birthday?" he said, stroking my hair.

"Sure! Sounds like a plan." I replied, yawning again, "Let's go eat."

Spencer sighed into my hair, "Give me five more minutes."

And with his warmth, and the both of us ignoring the part of his anatomy so obviously between us, I let Spencer have the five minutes he was craving, I let him periodically kiss the top of my head and stroke my hair. And I was more elated and confident than I'd ever been.

He was my Spencer. He was the geek in bottle-rimmed glasses. He was the gorgeous man in a power suit. He was my best friend. He was my boyfriend.

He was mine.

And I was his. In every way. 

**********************************************************************************************

[Author's Note]

I've been afk for a while, so I've uploaded this super long chapter! I hope it's a good one. 

Writing is a good break from the stresses of life. Sometimes I look back at old author's notes where I talk about how overworked I am, and laugh - I've never been so overworked as I am now, no question! 

But enough about that, I much prefer talking about this. I want this work to be as good as it possibly can be, which is part of the reason why I don't rush things out. 

Throughout this I'm going to give more insights into Spencer and Adriana's past, like the lingerie/dancing scene in this chapter. Shows off Spencer's teasing and Adriana's playful side, which I love!

The song: I Get All The Girls by Calvin Harris - I actually love this song, but it's pretty appropriate for Spencer too!

Picture: Adriana in one of her more...teasing outfits. 

Thanks for your support always. It means the world reading your comments.

Until we speak next,

Bex. 'xo 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

721 18 18
Rose Thomas works for a medium-sized PR firm in New York, called PRight Now. Her new Department Manager, Samuel Marsten, sees great potential in her...
2.6M 89.4K 45
**Highest Ranking : #1 in Chicklit** [ A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY ] Mabel Carter traveled half way across the country to attend college and get away...
259 18 8
"so you're her?" "minus the nose job and losing weight? why yes, i'm definitely her." 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ Ava have had the longest crush on her childho...
503 6 10
Adriana knew she had to make a decision, but it wasn't an easy one. The consequences of her choice would be far-reaching, and she wasn't sure she was...