Regency Romance: An Unexpecte...

By Eleanormeyers

( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a s... More

. . .
Chapter ONE
Chapter TWO
Chapter THREE
Chapter FOUR
Chapter FIVE
Chapter SIX
Chapter SEVEN
Chapter EIGHT
Chapter TEN
Chapter ELEVEN
Epilogue

Chapter NINE

31.4K 1.8K 256
By Eleanormeyers

Nathaniel had barely brought his knuckle to the door before it opened. The butler of the Hensman house said nothing as he turned to lead Nathaniel further into the house. Frowning at the rude greeting, he followed the man.

The old gentleman said, "Here for Miss Ott, I presume?" He didn't sound glad about it.

"Yes."

He came to a stop at an open door. Voices could be heard from inside. It sounded like a good time, but when he approached the room, anger filled him. He didn't even hear his name announced as everyone's head turned towards him. There were men. A dozen of them, all surrounding the beautiful Miss Amy Ott. She smiled at her admirers, sharing her smile with them, before turning to look at Nathaniel.

"Oh, Lord Nathaniel. I didn't know you were coming."

Nathaniel narrowed his eyes. She did indeed know he would be coming. He'd told her that he would be just the night before.

The other men all looked toward him in surprise.

Amy asked, "Are those flowers for me?" How any woman's voice could be a lethal combination of soothing and stirring still amazed him.

He stared down at the roses in his hands. He'd never given a woman a bouquet of roses. Sometimes a single rose, simply to tempt her into a kiss, but never a bouquet. He looked at her and noticed for the first time the many flowers already present in her lap. A feeling he'd never felt before approached him then. Embarrassment. He cleared his throat, "Yes. These are for you."

She smiled then. A slow and sweet smile that caused her beautiful eyes to crease and her lips to part. And it was all for him. It held him still and sucked the air right from his lungs. He hoped she never looked at another man like that. He wanted to own that look. Forever.

Forever? Where had that come from?

He took a step back.

Amy's brow lifted. "You're not planning to take my flowers with you, are you?" she teased. Teasing? Who was this woman who was driving him insane?

He stepped forward, moving around her lap dogs of men before giving her the flowers.

"Thank you, my lord," she whispered before bringing them up and inhaling their fragrance. Her lips covered by the white petals. Her eyes shining up at him, calling to his very essence. This temptation of a woman was not the Miss Ott he remembered.

His eyes moved over those around her, and for the first time he noticed that all the men seemed to be watching him with... what was that? Panic? He smiled and immediately remembered who he was. Lord Nathaniel Dawnton. The London Lover. They better fear him.

Lord Rodger spoke quickly, "Miss Ott, I was wondering if you'd like to take a turn around the garden."

Nathaniel frowned at the younger man. The way he stared at Amy, you'd think he was looking at the last cool drinking pond at the edge of a desert. Desperate for her to get as far away from Nathaniel as possible.

Immediately, the other men began to make suggestions. One wanted to take a walk in the park. Another offered a carriage ride. Nathaniel would die before he fought for anyone's attention so viciously.

"Levi." The words came from Amy's lips and were shouted toward the entrance.

All the noise stopped, and every eye was on the well-dressed gentleman at the door. He paused in his movement. It was obvious by his position that his plan had been to walk past the door. A forgotten set of papers in his hand. His bright blue eyes stared at Amy, and then he straightened. "Is there anything I can do for you, Miss Ott?"

She stood, "Yes, I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a vase for my flowers." The question made it known that he worked in the house and was not a threat to Nathaniel having Amy for himself.

Levi blinked a few times. The request was obviously not one he usually received, "A vase?"

Her smile brightened, "Please."

The gentleman glanced around the room and then gave a slight bow in her direction. "Anything for you." Nathaniel didn't like those words. If anyone were to promise Amy anything she desired, it would be him. Except marriage. He banished the thought.

Levi strolled into the room, extracted the garden from Amy's lap and then proceeded to leave the room. One down, a dozen to go.

Nathaniel turned to the room and thought of the best way to get rid of the rest of the men. He sighed and decided he'd simply have to destroy any chance these men would have at capturing Amy's hand. He decided to start with the youngest and currently the closest man to Amy. "Lord Rodger."

The man's wide eyes turned up to him, "Y-yes, my lord?"

"I'm sure your mother is glad to know you're presently attempting to court a woman."

Rodger blinked, "Why, yes, she is—"

"For, I'm sure Amy's dowry will clear all those horrible debts that your family has accumulated in the last year."

He looked away. "Well, I mean—"

"And your mother would be able to resume her extensive shopping before, of course, you all run out of money again." He relaxed against the back of Amy's chair, "Tell me, do you still possess Farmington House?" Farmington house had been their home in the country, an estate that was now owned by the bank.

Roger stood from his chair. "Uh—" He looked at Amy's shocked face and then at Nathaniel. "I believe I'm to meet my mother for the morning meal."

"Good idea," Nathaniel said to his retreating back. His eyes roamed the room for his next victim. Many of the men here were hoping for a payday. They saw Amy and saw money. He decided then that he'd begin with the eldest gentleman in the room. "Lord Franklin."

Lord Franklin, a man with black hair graying at the temple, stood and bowed, "No thank you, my lord. I think I will find my own way to the door."

"And a good morning to you," he smiled as the man left.

The last few men got up and left them, some mumbling under their breaths, but no one dared say anything to Nathaniel's face. As the last man left, Nathaniel turned to Amy and saw the anger on her face.

She stood staring at him, "How dare you?"

He frowned, "How dare you."

Her eyes went wide, "What did I do?"

His hands went in the air. "You practically had a harem present in this room and not a chaperone around. Does anyone care if you were compromised?"

She scoffed, "I highly doubt that a man would compromise me in public."

Oh, how he loved her innocence. "Still. There should have been another woman present. Where is your cousin?"

"Out."

"The duchess?"

"Out with her."

He frowned, "A maid?"

"They left, too."

He took a step back and stared at her, "And who is present to protect you?"

She shrugged, "Levi."

He didn't like that answer. "It's as though your aunt wants to ruin you."

Amy moved away and went to stare out the window, leaving him to stare at the long length of her neck and the soft brown curls that fell carelessly from her updo. He'd struck a nerve. He hadn't been serious about his comment on her aunt, though his anger at her lack of presence had been real. Anything could have happened to this wonderful woman, and Nathaniel would have been worse off for it.

He walked over to her and stopped directly behind her without touching her. "I didn't mean what I said."

She didn't move, but said, "What's it matter? Were I ruined, I'd have been ruined for all men looking for marriage. Isn't that what you wanted?"

His hands shot out to touch her and then stopped, hovering near her arms."No."

"You lie."

"I don't."

She turned then, staring into his eyes. All strength and boldness, not caring that they stood so close again. This close, with the sunlight coming through the door, Nathaniel, for the first time, noticed the scatter of freckles across her nose. His hands came up and captured her face in his hands. She gasped but didn't move. Then he leaned forward, slanting his lips over hers and rejoiced when she didn't stop him, when she pressed closer to him, placing her hands on his shoulders to keep herself upright.

But he wouldn't have let her fall. He wouldn't have let her go. Not for anything in the world. His lips travelled up her cheeks. "I don't regret what I did. Were it to happen again, the only thing I would change was getting rid of the men sooner." He kissed her again. "I'd kill any man that attempted to touch you.

She sighed and asked, "Such bravery for a man who simply wants a mistress."

He stared into her eyes, "Men have gone to war for less. For the promise of a kiss. For the look in a woman's eyes..."

Amy turned away, breaking their contact, "Well, I want more." She moved away from the window. "Thank you for the flowers. I'll set them beside the others in my room." Her words were meant to cut him deeply, to make him feel as though he were simply just another man in her flock of potential mates.

"And where will you set this?"

Amy turned and her eyes went to the package in his hand.

Nathaniel smiled. He was nothing like the other men. The paper wrapped gift was small and had fit in his coat pocket. Assuming she'd have been with her chaperone, he hadn't wanted to give it to her until they were alone. Until only he would have the smile that touched her lips when she opened it. A private, intimate moment.

Amy's eyes moved from the package back up to his eyes. "What is it?"

He grinned, "Had I any plans to simply give out that information, I would not have taken the time to wrap it."

She lifted a brow, "You wrapped it yourself?"

He shrugged, "No."

Amy rolled her eyes.

"But I picked it out myself." That got her attention quickly.

Walking back to him, she stopped a few feet away and asked, "Is it appropriate to take gifts from a man I'm not courting?" The concern in her eyes was sincere. She really didn't know the rules. Had no man ever gifted her before?

"Not usually." He told her the truth. "But, no one has to know."

She looked at the gift again and saw the temptation play in her eyes. Then she grabbed it and immediately tore at the paper. Her hands hesitated once she saw its contents. She looked up at Nathaniel and then back at the gift in her hand. It was a book. "Don Carlos."

He nodded, "Open the cover."

Her hands slid over the book's worn cover before flipping it open. She gasped, "It's signed." Friedrich Schiller's name was scrolled in bold ink.

He nodded again.

She looked up at him and shook her head, "How? He died nearly twenty years ago."

"It was my father's. He gave it to me years ago. Don Carlos is also my favorite."

She stared at him in surprise, "How could you give me something so precious?"

His finger brushed her cheek as he lowered his voice, "How can you not see how precious you are to me? How can you not see how well we go together?"

Amy frowned and opened her mouth, ready for rebuttal.

His finger slipped to her lips, silencing her. "Come see Cain with me."

Her frown deepened. It didn't look like a yes, so Nathaniel did what he thought was necessary and replaced his finger with his lips. When they parted, Amy's eyes were closed and her mouth red from their play. And that was when he decided: she'd won. He couldn't bear the thought of her with anyone else. He'd have to marry her in order to claim her. His Amy. His beautiful, enchanting Amy Ott.

He whispered in her ear, "I'll be around at eight." And then he strolled from the room, feeling as though he'd been the true winner.

=====     =====     =====     =====   =====   =====   =====   =====   =====   =====   =====   =====   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34K 3.4K 56
Life's controversy is overcome by understanding and conquered by love. Two couples. First, there is Lord Bennett Caldwell, Earl of Kendal. He knows o...
To Defend A Duke By Victoria

Historical Fiction

438K 24.3K 40
Four years ago, Evelyn Wright's perfect life as a debutante in London was ripped away from her, and her family moved to the countryside. Since then...
3K 222 32
[IMPORTANT: This is a closed-door romance story that caters to readers who are uncomfortable reading heavy erotica and adult scenes.] Miss Mina Haswe...
101K 9.2K 36
After narrowly escaping an assassination, a new king in disguise escapes to his childhood home only to discover that his unwanted betrothed has been...