No More DayDreaming [DISCONTI...

By Litt1eBat

TITLE ART WAS DRAWN BY ME. When a girl named Aubrey moves from the busy town of Sarasota, Florida to Jasper... More

No More DayDreaming
Livin' The Dream
Dazed
Dozing Off
Nightmares
NightMares: Part 2
Lucid
Insomnia
Apnea
Calm Before The Storm
Uncle Sam Needs YOU Part 1
Uncle Sam Needs YOU Part 2
QUICK QUESTION
Uncle Sam Part 3 -Final-
Visitor Hours
How to End an Argument
IMPORTANT Announcment

It's all a Little Hazy...

535 17 1
By Litt1eBat

THIS CHAPTER COMES AFTER THE CHAPTER --DAZED--

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I had some trouble publishing this..

Aubrey sat on her humble twin-sized mattress in a little corner of the base, half hidden by a wall that didn't completely enclose her space. But it didn't bother her. What bothered her was why she was here. While police investigated her home, this 'Agent Fowler' guy had gotten most of Aubrey's stuff back, and let the police know she was in government hands. All with out even meeting Aubrey. She wanted to thank him, but judging by Ratchet's description, he wouldn't really notice the apology, just the fact she was a liability (that sounds familiar..). Sitting up, Aubrey hopped off the bed and onto her feet, peeping out into the main room of the base. Ratchet typed away at his monitor, as usual. Cliff and Arcee were out on patrol. Bumble Bee and Bulkhead were also out, leaving Optimus alone with the medic. Though, instead of spending the time with his close friend, the prime had been waiting by Aubrey's makeshift room.

"Is everything alright? You've been fairing well?" The large mech asked gently. Aubrey smiled warmly. Such a big bot had such a big spark. The idea of a spark thrilled her, a ball of energy instead of a lump of blood and muscle like humans had. But the kind and gentle nature of Optimus is what really surprised her. She wouldn't have thought a leader of an entire faction to be so.. Compassionate.

"I'm fine, thanks... Just, you know, adjusting to it all..." Aubrey's voice trailed off. Though Optimus's expression remained neutral, she could see the concern in his optics.

"I know this must be overwhelming for you.. If you ever need anything, just ask one of us." He nodded, pausing before turning to walk down one of the darker hallways leading deeper into the base. Aubrey had never been down those hallways, but she yearned to. Walking out from behind her little wall, she strode slowly to the ladder, moving down to the floor. She paced quietly to the hallway, looking down its lighted path.

"Hey Ratchet..?" Aubrey called, not looking back, knowing Ratchet wouldn't look at her anyway.

"What is it?" He asked, and Aubrey could still here the tapping of the keys.

"What else do you guys have in the base, besides the main room?" Aubrey tilted her head, pivoting on her heel to lean against the wall and face Ratchet. She wanted to know what secrets this missile silo held.

"Well, down the hall and to the left is everyone's personal dorms. Keep going straight and you'll find the training room, and down to the right is the engine room. And underground is where we store energon, among other things." Ratchet explained. Training room? That's what she wanted to see..!

"What kinds of things?" Aubrey wondered aloud.

"Things that are dangerous. Things you shouldn't touch." Ratchet replied curtly.

"Alright, if I'm reading you correctly, you'd rather I not go down into the basement at all?"

"You are reading me correctly."

Aubrey sighed, nodding her head slowly. She pushed off the wall, walking back to her room and grabbing her clarinet case. Maybe practicing would help clear her mind.

"Hey, Ratchet..?" She asked cautiously. The medic sighed, surprisingly turning away from his screen to look at human.

"Yes?" He asked, half annoyed.

"Is there anywhere I could practice that I wouldn't distract you..?" Aubrey smiled nervously. Ratchet blinked, his impatient expression fading.

"Up on top of silo, just take the elevator over there." Ratchet motioned towards the small square doors. Aubrey nodded in thanks and scurried to them, happily pressing the button (which for some reason never ceased to make her smile).

---

Up on the roof, Aubrey could feel the light breeze. The view was beautiful, in fact, so breathtaking Aubrey's fear of heights seemed to blow away with the wind for the moment. Picking up a rock to keep her paper music grounded, she opened up her case, revealing the black wood lined with metal rings and keys. The clarinet looked and sounded beautiful to her, and was something she was proud to have. Putting it together and adjusting her reed, barrel, and mouthpiece to her liking, she looked down at her music. It was an overture, usually played gracefully, with gentle airstream and articulation. She sat up a little straighter knowing these terms and phrases. Without wasting another second, her mouth met the reed, and she let the air flow. Her fingers moved methodically, keeping time with beat by tapping her foot quietly. Not a care came to her mind as she focused on her playing, feeling the sound flow through into the wind.

"Wow, that's.. That's amazing Aubrey." She heard a voice behind her, making her jump, disrupting her moment of peace. She whipped around, gripping her instrument tightly (almost protectively) and only eased when she saw CliffJumper's familiar smile.

"Th..thanks.." She smiled shyly.

"Sorry to have spooked ya' like that." Cliff chuckled, taking a seat next to his friend.

"It's fine, just, wait until I've stopped to interrupt please." She smiled, nudging him with her foot.

"Well, can you keep playing? I promise I'll stay quiet."

"You can do that?" Aubrey teased.

"Haha. Come on, I mean it." Cliff gently nudged her shoulder with his servo.

"Fine.." She sighed, picking up where she left off.

---

The Next Day

"Aubrey, why weren't you at school Friday?" Her teacher interrogated as she walked in. Her grumpy 1st period teacher Mrs.Mawgon hated un-excused absences.

"...Family.. Emergency.." Aubrey managed, looking at the ground in front of the science teacher's desk.

"Such as, Mrs.Wellington? I can always call your father." The older woman snorted. Aubrey took a deep breath, her fists balling up again.

"If you happen to contact him, I'd love to talk to him." She sighed through grit teeth, ignoring her teacher's glare as she moved to her seat.

Another long day. It seemed to drag on forever. Aubrey almost felt pain when she realized it was only lunch time. Navigating through the flooded hallways filled with mindless zombies known as students, Aubrey finally squeezed her way through the cafeteria doors. Searching for her usual table (a small, round table with only two seats), she sat down in the metal chair. She liked watching the lunchroom from her spot, seeing everything easily. Usually she sat alone, unless a few of Jack's friends were absent, then he'd take the time to talk to her. But she liked the time to herself.

At least she was enjoying it until a kid about a year younger than her with spiky hair, little red glasses, and a small green backpack walked up, holding his tray with a defeated slouch.

"Mind if I sit here..? No one'll let me anywhere else..." He frowned, looking at his shoes. Aubrey scooted over, giving the second chair more room.

"Sure thing." Aubrey smiled, patting the seat next to her. The boy smiled thankfully, setting his tray and back pack down before scooting next to Aubrey.

"What's your name, dude? Don't just sit down without telling me your name," Aubrey teased playfully, nudging the boy.

"My name's Raphael, but most people call me Raf.." He shrugged, poking at the mashed potatoes (which were more like play-do) with a spoon.

"That's a cool name, like the ninja turtle, right?" Aubrey grinned. Raf gave a small shrug.

"Well, Raf's my favorite turtle... But anyway, I'm Aubrey." She smiled, holding out her hand. Raf blinked at it, adjusting his glasses before shaking her hand.

"Nice to meet you.." He smiled shyly.

"Good to meet you too." Aubrey nodded.

All lunch period talked to Rapheal, and they talked about all the nerd stuff like Star Wars and Marvel and DC comics, giving little critiques and reviews on movies and comic books they liked and hated. It felt good to get her mind off all the crazy things that swarmed around her now, and it was even better that all these things were simple things. The simple things she loved.

Not to mention Raf was now a friend.

That's two friends in Jasper now, not including the autobots and Jack's mom... She thought. But as they say, all good things come to an end. The bell rang and Raf had to say goodbye.

---

The last two periods were toture. Language Arts had a heavy note day (one Aubrey's numb mind was not prepared for) and Social Studies was a long lecture on Andrew Jackson's oh so dreadful presidency. Her brain felt like jello when Mr.Sunaway held her behind class.

"Are you feeling alright? You look.." He seemed cautious on his next few words.

"I'm tired, Mr.Sunaway. Can I please just leave..? I've had a rough day.." Aubrey let out a long exasperated sigh. Her social studies teacher seemed reluctant, but he nodded, signaling she could go.

And sure enough, yet another concerned face waited at the door.

"Hey Aubrey, my mom heard what happened.. I'm really, really, sorry.." Jack rubbed the back of his neck. Aubrey blinked, cheeks going a little pink.

"Look, Jack, I appreciate the concern and all, but I don't want to talk about it." Aubrey closed her eyes. Jack nodded.

"You know, my mom offered you to stay with us--"

"I've got a place to stay, but tell your mom I said thanks." Aubrey tried to scoot away, but Jack followed.

"Really? Where?" He asked expectantly.

"... With a friend." Aubrey thought of CliffJumper.

"The same guy who picks you up from school?"

"Yup. But really Jack, I am not in the mood for this.." Aubrey sighed.

"Alright, I understand. Hope things get better," Jack frowned, holding the door for her. Aubrey nodded in thanks, walking towards the red car again. Sliding into the seat, she dropped her belongings in the seat behind her, drooping like a dead flower.

"Long day?" Cliff asked softly. Aubrey nodded, closing her eyes and lying her head on her seat belt. Cliff was quiet as he drove away from the school, until he started playing a song on the radio that made Aubrey sit up straight.

"Is that..?"

"Time To Dance by Panic! At The Disco? Yup." Cliff chuckled. Aubrey smiled, leaning against the seat.

"You're alright, CliffJumper."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

397K 10.5K 48
Amanda Beckett liked being left alone. If she was alone, then there would be no one to leave her. Jack Darby just wanted out. Out of the small town...
26.1K 1.1K 24
*Do NOT read this story until you have read Battle Cry. It will make so much more sense if you read that one first* It's been one year since the bat...
7.4K 186 18
You are a Valkryrie, a warrior sister whose order goes back to the beginning of Cybertronian time. Now that Cybertron has fallen, a new path is set o...
39.7K 1.3K 11
Rosalie Stalin was just a normal seventeen year old girl living a perfectly normal life. .that is until her mother passes away, leaving her entire fa...