How To Become A Wattpad Sensa...

By jemsparkle

More

How To Become A Wattpad Sensation Overnight!

1.3K 37 41
By jemsparkle

You can't.

I do have tips for getting readers which I'm going to include here but if you're looking for magical spells to get 1000 followers worshipping you overnight then this isn't what you want.

Sorry to burst your bubble but seriously,there is no such thing as overnight fame unless you did something outrageous as fight with a monkey or uploaded videos of a talking dog.Either of which is inadvisable for wattpadders.Trust me.

I've come across hundreds, scratch that, thousands of wattpadders who are spamming walls,posting on forums,desperately begging people to read their stories and despite the constant patience being displayed by Wattpad ninjas in telling them politely it is AGAINST THE RULES to promote your story in any club forum apart from the Share your Story club and asking you nicely to please stop requesting R for R and votes,people are still doing it.This is a fine example fo how things are not done overnight.

Popularity has to be earned.It is not something you get by begging or by harassing/spamming people's walls.Even Hollywood actors get rich and famous only because of their hard work and talent.Nobody likes an arsekisser, pardon my French, if people did then every has-been or wash-out/highschool drop out would be gracing your cinema screens on a daily basis.How monotonous would that be,I ask you?

Message for people who want a huge fan base just because they, and I quote,"Want to know what it's like to have a 1000 fans" :

Ask the people with a 1000 fans.Ask them how much work they put in their stories.Ask them how many hours they spend editing,proofreading,correcting grammar and spelling mistakes,doing research and thinking up their plots.Ask them how much thought,planning,skill and time they put in to make their stories the Hottest thing on wattpad.Go ahead,ask them.Because the 1000 fans you see on their profile are the fruits of their labor which they perform in order to maintain that standard and quality of writing which deserves 1000 fans.They don't just type in the first thing that comes in their head and publish it without proofreading.Granted there are certain authors here who're exceptionally talented and no doubt do just that,but even they put in some work.I think,lol.I don't know,ask TheOrangutan,he'll know.

Bottom line : There is no such thing as success without hard work.

I understand your desire, your desperation for popularity but please,don't sell yourselves short.You can achieve all this without showing desperation.It is possible to get a huge fan base but it's insulting to expect your readers to put up with utter crap.Give them some credit.They choose authors because they want to read the best,so be the best.

There are 4 kinds of wattpadders here.There are the kind who write just for the fun of it,they are not desperate for fan base,they don't (usually) edit their works or give it format but they type it all just for the sake of having their stories typed out and publish it.I have nothing against these authors.Most of them have every bit of potential to be the best but they don't want to bother spending time with the fine tuning,so be it.It's their choice.Coincidently,they usually have the most interesting and genuine storylines too.

Then there are the kind who are naturally gifted.Everything they write,whether it be a story,a message, an advice or just plain old conversations with wattpadders, their brilliance and intellect shines through. I'm awed by them.They are humble,yet fully aware of their skills and do their best to help out those who ask for their help.These, ladies and gentlemen, are the gems of Wattpad.If you know Wattpadders of this type then never take them for granted.You can learn so much from them.

There are also the kind who put in absolutely no work, who copy storylines of successful authors or go with the first idea that comes in their mind and publish some hastily typed works and still expect readers to praise it.While I don't find them annoying per se, I do find it highly amusing how they have such high expectations from their poorly executed works.Don't get me wrong, these people have the skill and knowledge to create outstanding works but the problem with them is that they don't want to put in the time and work and yet they want a fan base of thousands.I have no words for them except that I admire their high belief in their daydreams.

The fourth kind are the types who literally work their butts off to deliver you amazing stories.You'll constantly find them researching, asking around for help to improve their style, debating every move they make.They welcome criticism and know how to take it.They enjoy stimulating conversations and interaction with readers.They don't forget the first rule of writing either.Which is,to always be true to yourself.

Your readers' feedback matters but so does your own satisfaction.You write to satisfy your own thirst first and your readers' second.Take criticism with an open mind,accept what you consider as advice and reject which you don't find feasible.But please don't go biting people's heads just because their comments were not to your liking.Hate comments,though not encouraged or appreciated,should always be taken with the air of a superstar.They hate you,sure,but at least they remember you.Wave them off like you would an annoying housefly.

Just to recap the above mentioned points:

1.Don't annoy people in a bid to become the hottest writer.

2.Work hard!

3.Ask your favorite/popular authors on here for help.This doesn't mean to harass them,be courteous and ask if they're willing to help first.This doesn't necessarily mean having them read your story.Ask the basic questions which you're having trouble with.I repeat: DO NOT HARASS THEM INTO READING YOUR STORIES! Be open to suggestions,criticisms and advice.

4.Be true to yourself as a writer.

Moving on to "getting the readers" part.

Let me first assure you,getting readers isn't rocket science and what I'm about to tell you isn't some newly concocted magic spell,it is actually something which most of you already know but always overlook or ignore.Stop doing that.It actually works so if you're seriously that desperate for a readership then please abide by these tips.

1.Google.Whatever you're writing about,chances are that someone is an expert on them and may have even shared some information regarding it.DO NOT PLAGIARISE.Read for your knowledge only. Likewise,you may also google writing tips.I do it whenever I'm online.Bookmark the pages which speak to you as a writer.There are more than a million sites which are imparting really helpful tips,advices, exercises and information to help you become a better writer so do check them out.

2.Beta readers/Editors: The superheroes of the writing world.They make the most stinking pieces into literary gems.Befriend them.Worship them.Idolise them.They'll edit your works,help you improve your writing and get you the fan base you desire.However,be respectful of their need for breaks.It takes a lot of hardwork and time to fine tune written works so if they ask you for a break or tell you it will take some time for them to get around to it then do give it to them.They do have a life.

3.Originality: Everyone has it,right? No.Whatever you think about,chances are there are at least hundreds in this entire world who think the same way.Like everything else in the world,you have to work for it.Originality should be visible in your story concept,your writing style and your execution of ideas. Plagiarism is not something which should ever be entertained.No matter how remote you think the chances of people finding out about your plagiarist acts are,someone will find out and your credibility as an author will be forever ruined and frowned upon.

4.Always strive for betterment: No age is too old to learn,likewise there is no end to room for improvement, what ever you do can always be done better.Writing is something which can definitely be improved over and over again.It brings finesse.However,overdoing it is not advised.

5.Write for yourself: If you're ever stuck in finding something to write then always ask yourself this question: What do I want to read? Because you'll always be the first reader and as an author your first compulsion will be to cater to your reader's (in this case yourself) demand.This will not only make your writing come across as enjoyable but  the whole process will be enjoyable for you as an author to write about your area of interest.

6.Read the best: It is the mantra of wattpadders to read,read and read.No matter the genre of your writing,always look towards the best in the business and find out how they do it by reading their works. Thanks to Wattpad you can not only read the best here but also interact with them and find out directly from them about what inspires them and who they idolize.This way not only will you evolve as an author but also you will be able to pick up tricks of the trade and bring variety and ingenuity to your writing.

7.Be content: 0-10 fans? No comments? No votes? Be content.Easier said than done,I know but if you're enjoying writing then what does it matter? Writing here on Wattpad is supposed to be fun.No one will overlook your profile because of your lack of fan base.If your writing is appealing some one will definitely take an interest and before you know it,you will have quite a bunch of fans.Just because it is taking what seems like forever doesn't mean you'll never get any.Reading people's stories,leaving feedback is a good thing,but asking them to return the favor is like forcing yourself on them.Don't do it.Do read other works,leave nice,worthwhile comments and appreciate talent when you see it.If someone fans you or returns the favor without you requesting them then be gracious about it.Thank the person and move on.

Contrary to the common belief,your life will not end if you don't get fans within the next 7 days after you created an account.Good things take time.Relax and have fun reading and discovering new stories here till you get your desired fan base.I don't know about most of the people but it took me nearly 4 years to have 200 fans and it still amazes me that they fanned me because most of them are far better writers than I will ever be but people are nice like that.So have a little faith and be grateful for every fan you've got for the time being :)

A message for people who frequently wonder whether they should give up on writing/finishing their stories because of lack of readership:

"If you're enjoying what you're writing, then you shouldn't give up on it. Writing something shouldn't be about how many other people like it, but if you're enjoying what you are creating. It's art, basically.

Eventually, people will begin to migrate around and read your stuff." --@Pixellated

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

811K 16.3K 112
Yaszy Romano has been through so much pain and suffering her entire life but it makes her who she is. Dark Angel...Dangerous, Powerful. An Assassin...
10.7K 1.1K 26
"ඒ රිදුම් නිවී මා හදේ ඈ ළඟින් රැදීලා වගේ සීරුවෙන් ළයේ පෙම් මල් පීදුනා" අමිත්‍යා × උපුනි
11.2K 1.3K 34
"කොල්ලො දෙන්නෙක්ට ලව් කරලා සෙක්ස් කරන්නත් පුළුවන්ද බන්.." ?
6.4K 150 23
It's classification day for Riley. he is finally 18 but when he gets his results things turn for the worst quickly when he has to stay with his broth...