Clever is the Devil

By Navessa

Stop reading. Stop dreaming. Stop wishing for more. Stop alienating yourself. Make friends. Date. Track down... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine

Prologue

320 15 2
By Navessa

I was born in a thunderstorm. Momma woke up at the beginning of it, clutching her bulging torso, and by the end, there I was.

"Came into this world screaming like the devil himself was after her," she liked to say. "My first glimpse of my baby girl was during a flash of lightning. Everything was black and white, 'cept for her. She was a red, glistening thing. So I named her Ruby."

Momma thought this was poetic. She didn't realize it made her sound simple. I lived with her for twenty years, and all that time, I thought she was simple. It was only after she died that I realized how smart she was.

"Don't ever fuck a man prettier than you are," she'd told me.

If only I had listened to her...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

438K 17.4K 43
Highest ranked- #10 in action 2/16/2017 A promotion. That's all I wanted. I didn't want to run for my life. I didn't want to be kidnapped...
157 33 16
SCREENPLAY VERSION.... I've lived the last eight years of my life in pain. Pain that should've brought me to my knees, with a big fat "Screw-you wor...
58 5 8
I had never fit in anywhere. If you had white hair and freakishly bright silver eyes, that people swear swirls sometimes, that'd be a pretty difficul...
114 1 26
Have you ever been through an image of you're being in an apocalyptic travel with some zombies and this kinda think of and did you have an imaginatio...